Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

I asked James Horan would he ever manage again as it's a shame all we see from him these days is on Sky and NT. He said he wouldn't manage intercounty again until this group of Mayo players f*cked away off. I'm paraphrasing of course.

As for Rory, I wouldn't be in the habit of calling for anyone's head. Not McIver's, not John Joe's, nobody's. He tried but unfortunately his record on the biggest days at both U21 and Senior level just didn't cut it. Two winnable Ulster Senior Finals, not being able to overcome club politics, rumours and gossip coming out of the camp, an uninspiring sideline, poor in match tactics and substitutions.

Every elite team has a 6 year cycle - 2 up, 2 there, 2 down. He got the last two years of Jim's team, has his own team for a year. This move will likely set us back a year, but if we can get everything right (a la Declan Bonner's article this week) then we can compete in Ulster in two or three years.

It's a pity it came to this, but such is life, he was the right heir to Jim, it didn't work out, fair play for trying.

Honestly have no idea who'd take it. Bonner might not want it, and there's not many top quality IC managers available - Wee Pete, James Horan, Peter Canavan (LOL).

Anyway, they've 5 months to sort it out. Good luck to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stoner wrote: »
    He's waiting for Mayo again I'd say

I was thinking he may end up in Galway after KW gets the heave-ho after another anaemic exit. Or is beating Mayo enough for the Tribe now?

Has Horan got any Donegal connections? Given he is from Mayo it's a fair chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

Peter Canavan can f**k away off!!! He hates us anyway.

And we have 3 months. Manager needs to be in place at the start of October/November

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,499 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Wait and see....they'll give the job to Maxi!

retalivity wrote:
    Wait and see....they'll give the job to Maxi!

Stop the world and let me off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Not for me had his chance for twenty odd years and never took it and he didn't do a hell of a lot for a hotly fancied kilcar last year if it was my choice I'd go with Horan but then again it's not and will probably be some yes man that the county board owe a favour too (Jesus I might get banned speaking out online about them:D)

James Horan seems to be favourite on social media of that's anything to go by lol

Don2012 wrote: »
    James Horan seems to be favourite on social media of that's anything to go by lol

As he was 3 years ago too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donal55

If they hold off until Tuesday they might get Rochford aswell.

MAMG deriding keyboard warriors who forced Rory out while sporting a "Moyes Out" cover photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

To the pub!

Is MAMG - The keeper? Screenshot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,499 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

To the pub!

Is MAMG - The keeper? Screenshot?

https://mobile.twitter.com/toastiee1?lang=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Love Peter Boyle, especially for his reply to Parkinson. Now that's online abuse!

Have to say I have little time for the current number one, especially after that nonsense. Eamon McGee has come out with a more heartfelt tribute.

Each to their own I guess.

Re McHugh, it feels like the time has long gone. Was a pity he didn't stick at it with Kilcar because we really don't have any idea of what he would bring (1997 is a long time ago...).

Bonner is the obvious choice and his column last week read like a manifesto. Have mixed feelings on him myself. Wouldn't be anywhere near as toxic as your man but what would the players think?

Anyway, let silly season begin. Today was a good day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,327 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

2014 Semi vs Dublin being shown on eir if ye want to crack open the cans.

PARlance wrote: »

That was a great first 20...

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The missus at the time was from Letterkenny... and I was sat beside a Dungannon friend. That was a tough day.

And then ye fupped it up...

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Thanks for the effort Rory & best of luck!!

........now where's my popcorn..........enter Cass. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Only getting on here now as being on Facebook pressing like, like, like, like 'like, like, like x a zillion times:D

I myself, would be a Martin McHugh fan over the years but hard to leave the cushy job he has now.....

What about big Joe from Armagh?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Stoner wrote: »
    He's waiting for Mayo again I'd say

James Horan previously stated he would'nt manage any other county,I've no doubt we'll see him back in charge in Mayo at some stage.

Getting my coat.

He's a nice handy number with Sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Pete McGrath? Knows his football and only a few miles west of Enniskillen!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Some thinking maybe Martin McHugh!

I've a feeling he'd only take it if he was pretty much guaranteed an All Ireland.

Anyway, wasn't it said that he was in Rory's ear anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

raiders11 wrote: »
    Only getting on here now as being on Facebook pressing like, like, like, like 'like, like, like x a zillion times:D

I myself, would be a Martin McHugh fan over the years but hard to leave the cushy job he has now.....

He was a disaster, (and from what I was told, an expensive disaster) whose tactics came down to high diagonal balls into the corners ignoring that the Galway corner forwards were each a foot shorter than McDonnell and Clarke of Armagh.
    Many in Galway still claim he was a major contributor to Michael Meehan`s injury problems.

Mind you, if it came down to a choice between him and Gallagher........;)

• Advertisement

raiders11 wrote:

What about him.....

PARlance wrote: »

Dont you just love the irony.

Gallagher goes and eir are showing a McGuinness masterclass.:)

Anybody know what Wee James Mc Carten is up to these days ?

He did take a pretty mediocre Down team to a Senior AI final losing narrowly to Cork and he managed Queens to a Sigerson I seem to recall.
    Family is pally with Brian McEniff and he had the old Lazy Bush bar leased in Mountcharles at one stage.
    Might be an interesting option ?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

I don't believe that Declan Bonner is the right man at this time for the job or indeed Martin Mc Hugh was very close to Rory anyway, I would go for another 92 hero Anthony Molloy he would carry the respect of all Gaa people in the county and rebuild confidence in our younger players over the next 2-3 years while is back room team of coaches could consist of the younger breed of coaches from within Donegal men like Gary Mc Daid,Martin Regan,Joe Mc Brearty, while also looking at a few players from the recent past Damien Diver,Paul Mc Gonigle,Barry Monaghan for example. We really need to choose wisely has the next 2-3 years are going to have a big bearing on Donegal football for the next 10 years

charlie14 wrote: »
    Dont you just love the irony.

Gallagher goes and eir are showing a McGuinness masterclass.:)

Will never forget that day! The memories!

Keyboard Warriors have a lot to answer for tonight it seems.

That's the only reason RG is gone, right?

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Look what K cassidy had to say on twitter. Laughable!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/KCASS7/status/892116892852387840

Murphy14 wrote: »
    I don't believe that Declan Bonner is the right man at this time for the job or indeed Martin Mc Hugh was very close to Rory anyway, I would go for another 92 hero Anthony Molloy he would carry the respect of all Gaa people in the county and rebuild confidence in our younger players over the next 2-3 years while is back room team of coaches could consist of the younger breed of coaches from within Donegal men like Gary Mc Daid,Martin Regan,Joe Mc Brearty, while also looking at a few players from the recent past Damien Diver,Paul Mc Gonigle,Barry Monaghan for example. We really need to choose wisely has the next 2-3 years are going to have a big bearing on Donegal football for the next 10 years

I wouldn`t be convinced on Declan Bonner or Martin Mc Hugh either, and while I have always been a massive admirer of Anthony Molloy I`m not he is the man for the job either, but I would certainly wouldn`t be disappointed if he did get it.
    Fully agree on the backroom team names mentioned and the named players from the past.
    If he is hanging up the boots I would add Karl Lacey to those.
    We really do need someone coaching our defense who knows how to tackle properly and in his heyday there was none better.

Look what K cassidy had to say on twitter. Laughable!
    https://mobile.twitter.com/KCASS7/status/892116892852387840

He couldn`t even get that right.

Only half the county giving out about Gallagher.

Cassidy must be spending too much time in Dublin working on his medja career these days if he thinks it was only half.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »

It wasn`t just keyboard warriors who recognised he was a spoofer.
    In the end it looks as if even the players did

Advertisement