Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Maybe this might give ye a bit of a chuckle after a bitch of a week.

https://askmetank.wordpress.com/2017/08/01/how-to-write-like-jimmy-mcguinness/

Very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

It'll be Declan or Gary McDaid. Out of those two I'd prefer McDaid. But I'm certain Declan wants it and I have no idea if McDaid does.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Maybe this might give ye a bit of a chuckle after a bitch of a week.

https://askmetank.wordpress.com/2017/08/01/how-to-write-like-jimmy-mcguinness/

I read that a few times! Very funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

If McDaid gets it we can forget about the Glenties boys coming back. Leo, Tony and Brick would be fine additions to a squad lacking in experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Not going to bother linking to it (can't anyway as on the app), it's on DSH, but Martin McHugh has a few choice words for some of us in his Star column.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,499 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Martin mchugh completely lost the run of himself with his comments earlier today

Edit: beat me to it!

Go easy on Martin lads, the man is one of our finest and greatest. He can say whatever he wants.

doc_17 wrote:
    Go easy on Martin lads, the man is one of our finest and greatest. He can say whatever he wants.

I agree with the middle part.

I think Martin, just like everyone on here, is entitled to his opinion. Perhaps more so given that he has won an All Ireland as a player and had a successful stint as an intercounty manager. If anyone on this forum has done better than that then you have the right to say that he has lost the run of himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

doc_17 wrote: »

Let's not lose the run of ourselves.

He was an outstanding footballer. Unquestionably in the top 2 to ever wear the green and gold.

Doesn't excuse sh*te talk.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Not going to bother linking to it (can't anyway as on the app), it's on DSH, but Martin McHugh has a few choice words for some of us in his Star column.
    retalivity wrote: »
    Martin mchugh completely lost the run of himself with his comments earlier today

Edit: beat me to it!

Who gave Martin McHugh and M.A McG the right to decide what other people were allowed to say?

Now, I've heard some reasonable people say that some of the social media comments were over the top, and I'd accept their judgement - but that absolutely doesn't give anyone the right to try to shut down free speech.

If people made comments that were unacceptable, that reflects on themselves.

What it doesn't do, is give anyone the right to try to shut down opinion or comment by labelling anyone who isn't in the RG fan club as "scumbags".

Pot. Kettle. Black.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Who gave Martin McHugh and M.A McG the right to decide what other people were allowed to say?

Now, I've heard some reasonable people say that some of the social media comments were over the top, and I'd accept their judgement - but that absolutely doesn't give anyone the right to try to shut down free speech.

What it doesn't do, is give anyone the right to try to shut down opinion or comment by labelling anyone who isn't in the RG fan club as "scumbags".

Pot. Kettle. Black.
    Dont think they were trying to shut down free speech- just saying that some of the anonymous keyboard warriors are idiots who know nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Any link to the articles?

Martin McHugh is perfectly entitled to his opinion on Rory Gallagher as a manager. I don't agree with it because performances and results don't back it up. But Martin probably sees more than I do.

When he has a swipe at KEYBOARD WARRIORS calling them 'scumbags' I don't see how he is taking the higher ground.

He was a wonderful player. A better player than Jim McGuinness. But he was less of a manager and analyst that's for sure. In my non-expert opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Again, Martin was one of Donegal's greatest ever players and no one disputes that. But his reaction to his best buddy and confidante's stepping down from his role has been quite biased. He seems to be adding to the narrative that 'its the supporters fault' that he's gone and talking as if we have lost the second coming of Christ.

Listened to Rory on Off the Ball earlier, and even though I'm not a fan of his, thought he was way more dignified about stepping down than a lot of 'experts' up and down the country. Particularly when there were constant attempts in the interview to goad him into having a go at Jim.

harpsman wrote: »
    Dont think they were trying to shut down free speech- just saying that some of the anonymous keyboard warriors are idiots who know nothing.

Direct quote:

"As for the abuse he took on social media, it's there and you just ignore it. People are waiting in the long grass, people with no challenges in life themselves, just pure scumbags, and they'll be there waiting for the next man as well."

Now, if he had qualified that statement with the word "some", I'd accept that maybe he was talking about the extreme comments that I've heard about, but not seen.

So, I stand by my comment.
    Pot. Kettle. Black.

We live in a free Country, thank God, so if I choose to post something that isn't abusive, or defamatory, online - then if Martin McHugh doesn't like it, that's tough. It doesn't give him the right to call me or anyone else a scumbag because we happen to disagree with his analysis of RG.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Any link to the articles?

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/mchugh-says-rory-gallagher-best-football-brain-i-ever-met-blasts-online-scumbags/

Martin was probably referring to the people giving the personal abuse when he used the word scumbags.

Anyway, best to get past it.

See McDaid was on today being coy about the job. He'd be a very interesting candidate if he let his name go forward

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Could Mickey Moran be tempted to come back? I doubt it but I think he should at least be considered worthy of mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

People do realise that Declan Bonner did the job before from 97 to 00 and didn't make a great job of it so I don't see why he should be considered again until he manages at senior county level in another county and achieves something.

Martin McHugh was turn down for the job and then took the Cavan job and did a really good job of it. But I guess he was upset not to get the Donegal job at the time and I feel he's not a option now plus I doubt he would be interested. If he was, he would be a good option within the county.

My real concern is the county board. I don't think they are good enough to get the right man.

Personally I would love Horan or someone from outside the county with a good track record and doesn't take any bull**** from players, clubs or county board. That's a tough ask.

• Advertisement

Ollieboy wrote:
    People do realise that Declan Bonner did the job before from 97 to 00 and didn't make a great job of it so I don't see why he should be considered again until he manages at senior county level in another county and achieves something.

Close enough to an Ulster Championship in 1998 but for yer man.

In fairness, he has done enough penance. I am not convinced he is the right man (I don't know who is, but I know it wasn't RG), but I wouldn't begrudge him the chance. If nothing else he will have great knowledge of the younger players.

Ollieboy wrote:
    Personally I would love Horan or someone from outside the county with a good track record and doesn't take any bull**** from players, clubs or county board. That's a tough ask.

I don't necessarily think that it should be someone from outside the County or an already successful intercounty manager but the rest is spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ollieboy wrote: »

Martin McHugh was turn down for the job and then took the Cavan job and did a really good job of it. But I guess he was upset not to get the Donegal job at the time and I feel he's not a option now plus I doubt he would be interested. If he was, he would be a good option within the county.

My real concern is the county board. I don't think they are good enough to get the right man.

I would not be overly convinced on Declan Bonner, but in fairness to him he was unlucky to lose an Ulster Final in1998.

I doubt Martin Mc Hugh is interested, and as for the county board being good enough to find the right man, I would have great doubts on that score as well.

James Horan in his time as Mayo manager certainly did some good work getting them up to the fitness levels and intensity required to compete at the top level, but tactically I always felt he just didn`t have it.
    Leaving Michael Murphy in a one on one for his goal in the 2012 final was tactical insanity. Not the only example during his reign.
    Plus we have a defence now that is porous and in all his time with Mayo they had a defensive structure that continually leaked crazy goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Could Mickey Moran be tempted to come back? I doubt it but I think he should at least be considered worthy of mention.

On Mickey Moran I would look on it as us owing him a chance based on nothing much more than payback for the crazy shower of lunatics he had to manage last time. You only need to read Rory Kavanagh`s book to get an inkling of the torture the poor devil went through.
    If the county board were to give him the job,then they should also most definitely supply him with a large whip and tell him not to be afraid to use it.
    I cannot see him applying mind you.
    He is probably still waking up in cold sweats from his last time in charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

To give Rory credit he has been very dignified this week unlike some of his supporters. It's time to move on and hopefully we can look forward to a new appointment sooner rather than later. The last thing the county needs is a long drawn out affair. Get the best available man on board and let's all get behind him.

To give Rory credit he has been very dignified this week unlike some of his supporters. It's time to move on and hopefully we can look forward to a new appointment sooner rather than later. The last thing the county needs is a long drawn out affair. Get the best available man on board and let's all get behind him.

Listened to the interview. Could take issue with some of what he said, but agreed, no bitterness and am sure it played well with respect to future opportunities. Good luck to him. Not the right man for us.

Now that RG is gone it could curtail Martin McHugh's 'unofficial involvement' with the team. I've no doubt Rory sought his counsel over the past 3 years. Perhaps being potentially out of the loop might be pissing MMcH off more than the keyboard warriors!!

Ollieboy wrote: »

Bulls**t from clubs? What are you talking about?? County managers have shi**ing into the mouths of the clubs for the past 7 years and asking them to accept it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

doc_17 wrote: »
    Bulls**t from clubs? What are you talking about?? County managers have shi**ing into the mouths of the clubs for the past 7 years and asking them to accept it!

And look where it got ye!

donegal-ai-final-2012.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Pot. Kettle. Black.

Exactly! Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. What makes me laugh is what has M A Mcginley ever done? He's not even that great of a keeper tbh. McHugh granted was a great player in his day but does that give him the right to tell people what they can and cannot say?

Advertisement