Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Eir Sports are going to be televising two of the quarter finals - you would imagine that Gaoth Dobhair and Naomh Conaill would be featured especially if it ends up being against anyone other than Killybegs.

Most likely alright RSF but possibly the story of Burt reaching their first quarter final might be a pick, especially if they get either Kilcar or Eunans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

County Breakdown of Games Development Funding in 2016

Dublin – €1.463,400
    Cork – €249,000
    Offaly – €220,669
    Derry – €210,800
    Kerry – €197,600
    Meath – €187,600
    Tipperary – €183,800
    Laois – €182,000
    Kildare – €179,800
    Carlow – €178,800
    Wicklow – €167,000
    Antrim – €164,400
    Westmeath – €160,601
    Limerick – €158,800
    Waterford – €158,800
    Wexford – €155,800
    Clare – €152,400
    Roscommon – €144,748
    Leitrim – €131,498
    Donegal – €130,200
    Galway – €130,204
    Mayo – €129,886
    Cavan – €129,000
    Sligo – €127,854
    Longford – €126,500
    Louth – €122,700
    Monaghan – €121,000
    Tyrone – €119,000
    Down – €112,600
    Armagh – €110,200
    Fermanagh – €109,000
    Kilkenny – €108,600

Unless we look at what we are investing in GAA in the county the choice of manager will quickly become an irrelevance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Senior QFs

St Eunans v Gaoth Dobahir
    St Michaels v Burt
    Kilcar v Realt na Mara
    Naomh Conaill v Killybegs

Relegation Play off
    Naomh Muire v MacCumhaills
    Four Masters v Ardara

Intermediate QFs
    Cloughaneely v Milford
    Glenfin v St Nauls
    Aodh Rua v Buncrana
    Fanad Gaels v Naomh Columba

Eunans v Gweedore will surely be televised. Bundoran might have to face Kilcar without Jamie Brennan.

Anyway, Banty has applied himself.

Sean Paul Barrett also nominated.

Anyway, Banty has applied himself.

Sean Paul Barrett also nominated.
    Declan, Gary McDaid and Cathal Corey the other nominees.
    Underwhelming.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Eunans v Gweedore will surely be televised. Bundoran might have to face Kilcar without Jamie Brennan.

Given that Kilcar are fixed for 2 and St Eunans for 4 on Sunday 10 September these will be the TV games according to what has been released by Eir.

Declan has to be the favourite so. Please not Banty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

Declan has done nothing at adult level that would lead me to think he can make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Hi guys bit off topic here
    Any one here know jim mcguinness wife age ??she just had her 6th child
    I'm in aww of her my husband says she is in her 30s I'm not sure!

Omg. No wonder Jim's in China. I'm guessing 40ish

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Declan has to be the favourite so. Please not Banty.

Would Banty be that bad? You might actually see a ball being kicked every now and again

• Advertisement

harpsman wrote: »
    Omg. No wonder Jim's in China. I'm guessing 40ish

Is that not an expensive thing to be doing in China? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Would Banty be that bad? You might actually see a ball being kicked every now and again

I still blame banty for the move to these bull**** player fit jerseys - the 07 Monahgan jersey had the tight sleeves which was made to for Tommy Freeman's arms to look bigger. It made Rory Woods look like the rock :eek:

Would Banty be that bad?
    Yes!

Would Banty be that bad?

What has he won as a manager that would make you think he deserves the post? When I hear Banty I think bluffer.

What has he won as a manager that would make you think he deserves the post? When I hear Banty I think bluffer.
    Nothing that im aware of but what have the other candidates won as managers?

Well Declan won Ulster with the minors in 2014 (getting them to the AI final) and the U21s this year (more or less the same group of players, many of whom will be involved with the seniors no doubt in the years to come) as well as a club county title with Gaoth Dobhair in 2006.
    Gary McDaid took Glenswilly to 3 county titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Well Karl Lacey what a legend probably the best Donegal player ever well in my time anyway, will be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Well Karl Lacey what a legend probably the best Donegal player ever well in my time anyway, will be missed.

Has he retired?Fantastic player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Will be sorely missed, brilliant in defence and attack. The marking jobs in his early days, to being the key link between defence and attack in 2011 (was good reason the dubs aimed for him in that semi, we didn't score again when he went off) then moving onto to that score that settled the Kerry qf and the ball into murphy for the first goal in the final.
    Lucky to have had him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Disappointed that Karl Lacey, arguably the finest Donegal player during the county's most successful period, has retired. Incredible skill, pace, vision and desire made him one of the most formidable defenders in Gaelic football.

Who can ever forget his pass into Michael Murphy just before he smashed it into the back of the net in the opening goal of the 2012 all Ireland final?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

You could not ask for a better ambassador for your county.

A simply outstanding footballer but even more importantly, a damn good person as well. A role model to god knows how many age groups of footballers up here.

He will be sorely missed but my word what a career to look back on.

He has earned every single drop of praise. Nobody ever worked harder for Donegal than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Kildare 2011 (who will ever forget that day) - Cass nails his winner and the place goes bananas. I watch the game on the TV the next day Cass's score looks even better, but my reaction watching it again was, how the funk was Lacey in the full forward line watching the ball go over the bar?!! Dr. Charlie had to hold him up whilst Jim hugged him after the game! he was unreal that day.

But, if for nothing else, thank you Karl for your pop tackle on Dermot Malone in the Ulster Final in 14.

What a player. A once in a lifetime superstar; and he played for us.

For me, pound for pound, Karl Lacey was the finest player I have ever seen play for Donegal.

Back in the early days, he wore number 4 and was the man to lockdown the opposition's most dangerous forward. We lost many games in those days, but never because Karl had a bad day. Winning All Stars in 2006 and 2009 speaks to that. **** I loved watching himself and Dunnion back in those days.

I don't know much about him off the field, but I can't recall ever hearing any stories of messing and on the field, his discipline was impeccable. To me, he never left anything behind on the pitch. The image of him at the end of extra time in 2011 will live long in the memory. 100% every game. Pat Shovelin tweeted tonight that he was 'Simply the Best' in training as well. I can well believe it.

He was a different player under McGuinness. Maybe it started before that in fairness, but that's when it became more evident. We didn't play well enough to beat Dublin in 2011, but his injury hurt us badly. In 2012, it was Michael who finished it, but my what a part Karl had to play in that goal. And that point against Kerry in the Quarter Final. What a way to lift the siege. True leadership. He's not the first player to re-invent himself, but he won All Stars in two very different roles.

I remember him marking Mark Lynch when we beat Derry in Celtic Park in 2014 - a masterclass on a day where we where shorthanded. This was the sort of role I envisaged for him in latter years - going back to what made him great in the first place. But, it wasn't to be. His pace seemed to have left him and he was less effective as a half back and the game had changed or at least how Donegal played the game - there was no real place for man marking anymore (maybe there should be?).

I was absolutely delighted that he won Footballer of the Year in 2012. Many people will argue that Frank or Colm Anthony were more influential that year, but, for his performances over many years, Lacey deserved it. You can tell me that Footballer of the Year is just that - only the current year matters, but whatever, I am glad that his name is up there on that roll of honour.

Big Neil
    Christy
    Karl

The time was probably right for them to go, but the heart and soul has been ripped out of this Donegal team. Other than Frank McGlynn and Michael Murphy, these were the most beloved of all Donegal players over the past 10+ years. Papa walked away too early for sure.

Fare thee well Karl Lacey. I am not sure if we will ever see the likes if you in a Donegal shirt again. It was my privilege to watch you play.

+1 to all the posts on Karl, most of it has been said already but one quote I heard which I felt really suited the man was when he was described as "the Rolls Royce of footballers". He was pure class in every department. First and foremost he was a defender of the highest quality - there was a man who knew how to tackle, there are plenty who could learn a thing or two from him on that score. But he was a really intelligent footballer who played with his head up and pick out a pass (like "that pass"). But most of all for me, as Nidge and Minister Boyce alluded to, his work rate was outstanding. He would run himself into the ground in every match.
    I think it was time to go alright as the legs have gone but he deserves every praise going.

Ps. RSF, one name I would add to your list there is Neil McGee, for me the finest fullback in the country in the past 10+years. But you're right, that's the heart of the best squad we ever had gone now.

Well Declan won Ulster with the minors in 2014 (getting them to the AI final) and the U21s this year (more or less the same group of players, many of whom will be involved with the seniors no doubt in the years to come) as well as a club county title with Gaoth Dobhair in 2006.
    Gary McDaid took Glenswilly to 3 county titles.
    Great, but nothing at senior intercounty level so you cant really use that as a stick to beat Banty with.

Great, but nothing at senior intercounty level so you cant really use that as a stick to beat Banty with.

I don't see why not - I didn't limit the question to what they won at senior intercounty level! :P Seriously though, Banty did a decent job with Monaghan although Malachy certainly brought them on a lot more when he took over. Since then he has done nothing of note. His spell at Meath was an unhappy one and his spell at Wexford looks mixed. Arguments can be made for other candidates (such as Declan knows these lads very well and has won Ulsters with them at 2 age levels) while Gary McDaid knows a lot of the players from his time with Rory and would be familiar with the setup, not to mention his record at club level. I don't see any decent argument for Banty unless it is that he's a previous inter county manager with a mixed record.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

It'll be Declan.

Anyone advocating for Banty lives under a bridge.

• Advertisement

Anyone advocating for Banty lives under a bridge.
    Or in Kilcar.

Advertisement