Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

I think if Banty managed to get a hold of that stick, he'd prob do a decent enough job in beating himself with it.

The only other observation I would make is that it is now more than likely that Martin Mc Hugh will never manage the Donegal Senior Team. Since Mc Eniff departed in '94, we have gone through 8 managerial appointments. He's been linked, suggested and contacted for comment during each of those appointments probably. And mores the pity he didn't step up. would have loved to have seen him put the knowledge into practice.

No doubt he had the finger on the pulse in the background with some of those previous managers but its a bit wishy washy to me.. step out front and take it on!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Hypothetically speaking, wouldn't it be a conflict of interest if the owner of a drinks company was advocating the owner of nightclubs and pubs for a particular position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Anyone advocating for Banty lives under a bridge.
    #RoryIn? :pac:

It'll be Declan.
    I didn't think I'd be saying this leaving Sligo but I hope you're right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

overshoot wrote:
    #RoryIn?

No. Never. Not on.
    Hypothetically speaking, wouldn't it be a conflict of interest if the owner of a drinks company was advocating the owner of nightclubs and pubs for a particular position?

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

An absolutely​ wonderful footballer.

A credit to the game and Donegal.

Enjoy retirement.

Let's enjoy the pass again...

https://youtu.be/z70yEm5RJIo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Or in Kilcar.

whats Kilcar got do do with anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,499 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Garry mcdaid was withdrawn from the race

Paddy McGrath has picked up a cruciate injury. Could be out of action for all of, 2018. Big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Not that one

Gary Mc Daid could be the big winner of this Management race if he is successful in getting the U-20 position, which he has now positioned himself well for.

Allow the newly appointed manager 2 - 3 years developing the current crop of 20-24 year old players, while GMD develops and moulds a decent group of players to grow into County players and any proposed gameplan in 2-3 years time.

Following our graph over the past few years, I do not think our supporters are expecting to win Ulster titles in the next two seasons, by which time the we may all be calling for #"newmanager"out.

In the process he will have lessened Sean Paul Barrett's or any other underage managers chances by taking the u-20s for a few years, and will hopefully still have Michael Murphy/Paddy Mc Brearty and few other strong Senior players still available.

Lot of "ifs" in this i know, but personally i'm not really expecting many titles, but hoping for a solid rebuilding period from the incoming manager, and am hoping for a more experienced panel by the time he moves on.
    I'd be happy enough to stomach a few years rebuilding if I thought it was leading to a management team and panel all on one mindset, as we had with Jim's u-21 team in 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I don't see why not - I didn't limit the question to what they won at senior intercounty level! :P Seriously though, Banty did a decent job with Monaghan although Malachy certainly brought them on a lot more when he took over. Since then he has done nothing of note. His spell at Meath was an unhappy one and his spell at Wexford looks mixed. Arguments can be made for other candidates (such as Declan knows these lads very well and has won Ulsters with them at 2 age levels) while Gary McDaid knows a lot of the players from his time with Rory and would be familiar with the setup, not to mention his record at club level. I don't see any decent argument for Banty unless it is that he's a previous inter county manager with a mixed record.
    Cant really argue with that. Looks like Declan alright and in fairness he ticks alot of boxes.

Banty Out!

Was all just banter, thankfully!

Banty Out!

Was all just banter, thankfully!
    Breathe out.
    Who's the least worst option left?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Breathe out.
    Who's the least worst option left?

McEniff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mention made on the GAA hour that Pete McGrath might be interested in the job but won't do an interview.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Mention made on the GAA hour that Pete McGrath might be interested in the job but won't do an interview.
    If candidates keep dropping out he wouldn't have to do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

seligehgit wrote: »

That was his stance from day one so there's no new information there. He missed the nomination deadline though so unless the county board change their policy (which is extremely unlikely) he is not eligible to be considered. It's Declans gig now but as 'Not that one' said, it looks like McDaid has played a clever hand here as he's pretty much put himself in line to be the primary candidate to follow after Declan.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Surely any future ambitions by McDaid to manage the senior team must be predicated by results at U20 level (assuming he gets the nod). With the minors deservedly losing to Antrim in round one this year, and Tyrone being AI U17 champions, one could argue that the future isn't so bright. I wouldn't be rubber stamping him for future senior manager just yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

If McGrath doesn't want to do an interview then that's that. Bye bye.

doc_17 wrote:
    If McGrath doesn't want to do an interview then that's that. Bye bye.

Based on his meeja interviews some time ago, it was a case of 'come and get me'. Fair enough, he is a double All Ireland winner. But what have you done done for me lately Pete? If you aren't hungry for work, then I don't think Donegal is the place for you. I'm sure I will come across as 'entitled' but I'd like to think we are aiming higher than Fermanagh's recent exploits.

I'm just happy Banty is gone.

Bonner is the obvious candidate.
    Corey, to me, is the most intriguing, and, the players seem to like him.
    I don't think Barrett has much of a chance.

• Advertisement

What is the point of Kevin Cassidys articles?

The recent one in GL was just utterly pointless.

When it comes to Kevin, to quote Mark Twain "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt". What's he saying now Nidge?

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    When it comes to Kevin, to quote Mark Twain "It's better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt". What's he saying now Nidge?

Gary McDaid - Good lad needs experience
    SPB - Needs experience
    Bonner- needs a good backroom team.
    Banty - shame he dropped out as he'd have been Cassidy's first choice.

A back spread page of that. It's just drivel :confused: Can't understand why he's presumably paid for this stuff. It's always garbage. Be better placed having him do a weekly thing as gaelige or something useful.

So it seems that the County Board sub-committee is going to interview the 3 candidates for a 3rd time!

I guess when you got it so badly wrong last time you can't take any chances this time....

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

So it seems that the County Board sub-committee is going to interview the 3 candidates for a 3rd time!

I guess when you got it so badly wrong last time you can't take any chances this time....

Who should they have got last time?

I see Rory''s got a new job anyway. Probably get them in the first round next year

Who should they have got last time?

I see Rory''s got a new job anyway. Probably get them in the first round next year

I dunno, an inanimate carbon rod?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Rorys appointment has been largely welcomed by the Fermanagh Gaa community I wonder how enthusiastic they will be when his main tactic will be to play Sean Quigley at midfield

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I dunno, an inanimate carbon rod?

I think it's still in the running this time around anyway.

Meanwhile on the field of play, great win for Gaoth Dobhair over Eunans to set up a tasty semi final against Naomh Chonaill. Kilcar would be expected to beat Michaels in the other semi final but then isn't that when Kilcar often falter.

• Advertisement

The fact that Rory has taken up with Fermanagh so soon after leaving suggests he was pushed rather than just walking away.

Advertisement