Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Not lookin good for big Neil-hasnt trained I hear.
    Youd have to fancy Derry given we re missing our 2 first choice midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Big Neil or no Big Neil (and I've heard he will be fine harpsman, but we'll see), the bottom line is, I haven't feared Derry since Tohill retired.

Anyway, I'm also looking forward to seeing our Minors (throw in 12.15...). Massive proposition, but the signs are good. They have been focused on this game for a long time. Most of Derry's better players have been focused only on their school until recently enough. It's neither here nor there, but anyway, Kilkenny had two schools in the Schools Hurling Final and their Minors were hammered by Dublin recently.

Come on Donegal. We can win this too!

Love your optimism RSF-presume senior game is 2pm.
    Its a massive game and id fancy the winner to win Ulster.

harpsman wrote: »
    Love your optimism RSF-presume senior game is 2pm.
    Its a massive game and id fancy the winner to win Ulster.

Senior game is 2pm.

Funnily enough, I am a glass half empty sort, especially as when it comes to Donegal. I'm talking myself into this - there are plenty of uncertain years ahead. We know what Jim and this group of players is capable of, we've seen it before. Once the Heroes of 92 retired, we didn't know what we had - we won nothing and were put rightly in our place so many times we had no right to optimism.

Oh and before I forget, our hurlers take on Fingal (eh?) in the Nicky Rackard SEMI FINAL in Letterkenny at 2pm on Saturday. I might just go along to that myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Good to see some genuine positivity RSF. I was being swayed by the naysayers for this game, now I'm back in 'quietly confident' mode.

Wish it was Sunday already, and keeping my fingers crossed that my RTE player will actually work this week. Otherwise it will be an early morning trip to the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Funnily enough, I am a glass half empty sort, especially as when it comes to Donegal. I'm talking myself into this - there are plenty of uncertain years ahead. We know what Jim and this group of players is capable of, we've seen it before.

Good stuff RSF, you're starting to talk me into it as well! :D For me it boils down to the key players on either side - and ours are definitely better than Derrys best. If we can get Lacey, Murphy and McFadden on form on Sunday then I think we will win. I'm sure the panel will feel this is the last year under Jim so I expect they will put in a big effort and I'm just hoping they can find the form that was missing during the latter part of the league.

Ha! Don't worry, if we lose I will be the first one to hold my hands up and say I got it wrong.

Anyway, this news about Neil Lennon leaving Celtic is interesting. Does it have any impact on Jim McGuinness' career? Will it have come as a surprise to him and will it have caused a distraction ahead of the weekend? I sure hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I wonder is there a direct flight from Donegal/Derry to near Norwich that would suit Jim? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Really getting excited about this now. Feeling more and more confident as it gets closer. It would be really nice to see our minors win as well as we haven't really had a run there since 06.

On McGuinness and Celtic, does anyone know how long his contract is? I wouldn't imagine that a new manager would affect his position that much anyway.

• Advertisement

On McGuinness and Celtic, does anyone know how long his contract is? I wouldn't imagine that a new manager would affect his position that much anyway.

No idea as to what his contract says, heck it could just be standard contract of employment with 30 days notice etc.

I'm not even sure how closely he is linked to Lennon. I mean, it seems more likely that he was 'suggested' to Lennon by Dermot Desmond (who had been given the nudge by Paul McGinley apparently).

Anyway, I hope it works out for him, this is his job and livelihood after all. GAA don't pay the bills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Last bit might be going a bit far, even if I agree the reaction to that game was at a hysterical level. Fair enough saying youre happy to see a very defensive team gettin beat but the ol "wont somebody think of the children" stuff was embarrassing.
    Personally Im not a fan of Donegals handpassing style(that goes back decades). I dont mind getting men behind the ball when you dont have it but I prefer a more direct style with the ball in hand.

I'm a short ball man. Always have been. Have no issue with it.

The level of punditry in the country is embarrassing anyway. O'Rourke- "there's something wrong if the balls not being kicked". Spillane- I wouldn't pay to watch it , Joe "Insert Controversial comment here".

Total garbage.

I'd like this summer if they'd for once just analyse the performance in front of them. That is what they are supposed to be there for, to provide expert analysis not that they aren't a fan of that style.

I draw a comparison with Chelsea's approach to winning the European cup in 2012 and more recently their result at Anfield which cost Liverpool a league title. Utterly defensive and rigid, the only person who moaned was the Liverpool manager. The pundits were in total agreement that it is horses for courses and went through the reasons WHY that approach was successful and why Liverpool failed. No whining about the game being in dire straits or any apparent negativity. Praise for the manager being confident to impose that style and credit to the players for carrying it out.

Spillane's happy for a game to go to a 15 v 15 shootout. Nice if you're from Kerry I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Not sure that it is. Derry lost to Down and Cavan in Celtic Park last year. They beat Sligo in Owenbeg and then Down in Celtic Park. Our Championship record in Ballybofey was pretty awful until 2011. Home advantage didn't do Tyrone much good on Sunday. We should bring decent support. It's not a huge issue for me. Slight advantage to Derry.

It's worth around 1.5 points per game, FWIW

keane2097 wrote: »

And a Michael Murphy goal is worth 3 points

BOOM!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Starting to get the championship excitement now. I love this time of year. Especially in Ulster. I mean, there's probably 5 counties who realistically fancy their chances of winning it. Monaghan, Donegal, Tyrone, Derry, Down. Then the rest can be a banana skin, well, Armagh and Cavan.

I have high hopes for the Minors. I really hope they get over this hurdle. I think mentally this is a tough one and you would hope if they got through this they would push on and make an Ulster final at least. They're a good, honest hard working side and have had a great season thus far but they need to push it to the next level.

The main event at 2pm. I don't know. I really don't. Rory is a big loss as is MMH. The main thing for me is that this is, in my opinion of course, a different scenario than Tyrone 12 months ago. Back then what we needed was a result the manner was totally irrelevant we needed to win that first game and it didn't matter if we fell over the line. The Down semi final was a good result because we really had to work to get through that without playing well and not really building up a head of steam.

This weekend we need a performance. We need to see a Donegal performance with zip and energy again and get some confident and momentum for a potential semi final.

Don't know how we're going to line up and that's probably why I'm not sure what's going to happen. Too many question marks over it. What I will say is that missing our midfield is far from ideal by McIvor is a cute boy and Down done well on Gallagher the other year. Happy for him to take primary possession and then swarm on him.

Anyway, the old enemy Derry in Celtic Park. Good weather, safe trips had by all and hopefully a positive Donegal result x2 and a performance to match.

Tír Chonaill abú:)

So within the margin of error as the pollsters say-ie very little.

So within the margin of error as the pollsters say-ie very little.

Most games are won by three points or less, so I'd say it's reasonably significant.

I'm a short ball man. Always have been. Have no issue with it.

The level of punditry in the country is embarrassing anyway. O'Rourke- "there's something wrong if the balls not being kicked". Spillane- I wouldn't pay to watch it , Joe "Insert Controversial comment here".

Total garbage.

I'd like this summer if they'd for once just analyse the performance in front of them. That is what they are supposed to be there for, to provide expert analysis not that they aren't a fan of that style.

I draw a comparison with Chelsea's approach to winning the European cup in 2012 and more recently their result at Anfield which cost Liverpool a league title. Utterly defensive and rigid, the only person who moaned was the Liverpool manager. The pundits were in total agreement that it is horses for courses and went through the reasons WHY that approach was successful and why Liverpool failed. No whining about the game being in dire straits or any apparent negativity. Praise for the manager being confident to impose that style and credit to the players for carrying it out.

Spillane's happy for a game to go to a 15 v 15 shootout. Nice if you're from Kerry I suppose.
    Ah here dont get me started on the "pundits". Total joke. You can throw the newstalk boys into that too,and McConville. I like Canavan, dont mind Ciaran Whelan and thought Tohill was good when he was on.
    Youre wrong about the short ball though:)

Most games are won by three points or less, so I'd say it's reasonably significant.
    Most games won by 2 points or more so not that signifigant.:pac:

Ps where u gettin that stat from?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Would love to see Paddy move out to 11 to see him on the ball more to see how it would work. Very lively when coming on in league and getting his hands on the football and getting involved. His return was excellent too. Jigger at 13 in his place perhaps? I'll be interested to see if Paddy McGrath has a role and who gets the centre half back spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Team named

Durcan
    E.McGee N McGee Lacey
    McGlynn Mcloone Thompson
    Gallagher McElhinney
    Toye McHugh MacNeiallais
    McBrearty Murphy McFadden

Derry team named too. Pay no heed to Lynch and McGoldrick positions. McKinless for Duffy at corner back. We'll see if that happens. Did "well" on Murphy in Ulster Club Final but inexperienced and Michael still got a great goal that day.

As for our team, zero surprises. Whether everyone is fit enough to start is the only question.

SM746 wrote: »
    Would love to see Paddy move out to 11 to see him on the ball more to see how it would work. Very lively when coming on in league and getting his hands on the football and getting involved. His return was excellent too. Jigger at 13 in his place perhaps? I'll be interested to see if Paddy McGrath has a role and who gets the centre half back spot

Have always thought Paddy has the talent to play a traditional 11 role. Very unselfish but maybe that's the problem for where he plays now - does he defer too much to Michael and Colm?

Ah here dont get me started on the "pundits". Total joke. You can throw the newstalk boys into that too,and McConville. I like Canavan, dont mind Ciaran Whelan and thought Tohill was good when he was on.
    Youre wrong about the short ball though:)

Agree on your choice of pundits.

As for short ball v long ball, both are great to watch when done right. And when you are winning with whatever you are doing!

Have always thought Paddy has the talent to play a traditional 11 role. Very unselfish but maybe that's the problem for where he plays now - does he defer too much to Michael and Colm?

Yeah your spot on with the defer point!. I still think there will be changes; highly doubt Gallagher will start if the stories about the injury were accurate. Id assume toye will go to midfield so I'm looking at 2/3 changed at throw in. Paddy at 11 in my eyes seems like an option worth exploring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

mcLoone still in the half backs, bugger!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

So assuming that is the team that starts, how do you reckon the defence will line out? The two McGees on the two big Derry full forwards and Lacey on Lynch?

McIvor naming Lynch at 6 is amusing. Does he honestly think that McGuinness thinks that'll happen!!

• Advertisement

Ps where u gettin that stat from?

Calculated it myself for the sake of handicapping matches.

Advertisement