Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    The face that Rory has taken up with Fermanagh so soon after leaving suggests he was pushed rather than just walking away.

hmmm, looks like it alright. He now will set about to do all in his power to pull down his former employers if the chance comes around next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

hmmm, looks like it alright. He now will set about to do all in his power to pull down his former employers if the chance comes around next year.

Fermanagh v Donegal in the Preliminary round next year... It's fate!

So today is a well deserved and proud day for our 1992 heros. The 2012 squad are unique and hold their own in terms of legendary status, but there is just something special about the team that brought our first All Ireland title to the hills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Remember like it was yesterday. The clamber to get over the wire at the canal end! Beautiful day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Remember like it was yesterday. The clamber to get over the wire at the canal end! Beautiful day.

Like we need reminding of it. That Dublin team were heart breakers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Which one are you:D

428099.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I walked calmly down the steps of the Cusack.

Thank God we prevented the five in a row.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I was in the Hogan 92 and floated down those steps. I must have floated because with all the tears in my eyes I would have broken my neck otherwise.

I was in the Hogan 92 and floated down those steps. I must have floated because with all the tears in my eyes I would have broken my neck otherwise.

• Advertisement

raiders11 wrote: »

428099.jpg

Was well over the fence at that stage. I remember a gang of us getting down alongside the tunnel as the players were going back to the changing rooms and congratulating Joyce c Mullen. Man the sessions that summer in the Porto' and Slatterys🀕

charlie14 wrote: »
    I didn't fancy the jump from the upper deck.

It will be another 20, sorry 15, years before we're holding Sam let alone contesting a final. 2014 will be the one to look back on through gritted teeth. Would you take a return of one every 20 years?ðŸ†

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

I've been reading (well re reading) Until Victory Always by Jim Mcguiness and something that strikes me as strange is that very few county players seem to come from the more eastern part of the county. Why does the western part of Donegal produce so many footballers good enough to play inter county football, while the east does not?

I've been reading (well re reading) Until Victory Always by Jim Mcguiness and something that strikes me as strange is that very few county players seem to come from the more eastern part of the county. Why does the western part of Donegal produce so many footballers good enough to play inter county football, while the east does not?

The clubs in East Donegal are St. Mary's Convoy, Lifford, Red hughs, Robert Emmets if you ignore more southerly and Northern clubs. McCumhaills, a senior club traditionally, in Ballybofey always has a great tradition in representatives at county level. These clubs are not senior clubs as such. Soccer in many areas including east donegal competes well with the gaa. Go back long enough and you could start start with the plantation.
    On the other hand the west of the county is predominantly gaa and the clubs are senior. Apologies to any club or area left out in my brief but limited explanation ⚽

It will be another 20, sorry 15, years before we're holding Sam let alone contesting a final. 2014 will be the one to look back on through gritted teeth. Would you take a return of one every 20 years?ðŸ†
    Seeing as I have lived long enough to see us winning two when I consider all those that haven't I look on myself as fortunate .
    2014 was a mixed blessing far as I'm concerned.
    One that we could have win, that we perhaps left behind us, but I will never forget walking away from Croke Park 2014 Semi Final thinking do what you wish sports writers and TV pundits, that team just rammed it down your throats the negative ****e you all have written about us for the last three years.

Seeing as I have lived long enough to see us winning two when I consider all those that haven't I look on myself as fortunate .
    One that we could have win, that we perhaps left behind us, but I will never forget walking away from Croke Park 2014 Semi Final thinking do what you wish sports writers and TV pundits, that team just rammed it down your throats the negative ****e you all have written about us for the last three years.

Yes and the reason Dublin have now three on there trot.

What has that got too do with Donegal?

Had we not beaten them in the 2014 Semi Final they would most likely now have 5 in a row rather than 3.

Had we not beaten them in the 2014 Semi Final they would most likely now have 5 in a row rather than 3.

That game against Donegal showed Dublins weakness and they decided to use Cian O Sullivan as a sweeper as a result. Since then, they haven't been beaten in the championship.

That game against Donegal showed Dublins weakness and they decided to use Cian O Sullivan as a sweeper as a result. Since then, they haven't been beaten in the championship.
    I don't see that it is Donegal's fault that Dublin have gone on to win three in a row since then, as the poste I was replying too seems to believe.
    Dublin in 2014 being the All Ireland champions were then being talked off as unbeatable and being talked about as five in a row.
    Granted they have use a sweeper since then, but if it was just as simple as seeing they had no sweeper how come no other manager as this.?
    J Mc Guinness's strategy that day in 2014 was a lot more than just seeing that Dublin didn't use a sweeper.
    If it was that simply then you would imagine some manager since would have worked out how to counteract it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

raiders11 wrote: »

428099.jpg

I was on the pitch tearing up a lump of sod as a keepsake by this stage - the things you do! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Met Brian McEniff coming out of Croke Park yesterday. Was great to be able to spend a few minutes reminiscing about 92 with him and great to see him and the team get a warm acknowledgement from the crowd when presented.

I don't see that it is Donegal's fault that Dublin have gone on to win three in a row since then, as the poste I was replying too seems to believe.
    Dublin in 2014 being the All Ireland champions were then being talked off as unbeatable and being talked about as five in a row.
    Granted they have use a sweeper since then, but if it was just as simple as seeing they had no sweeper how come no other manager as this.?
    J Mc Guinness's strategy that day in 2014 was a lot more than just seeing that Dublin didn't use a sweeper.
    If it was that simply then you would imagine some manager since would have worked out how to counteract it.

Was implying Dublin can thank Donegal (well McGuinness) for highlighting deficiencies in their play. Don't forget also the fine margins in Donegals win namely the fantastic saves / blocks (or bad misses if you're a dub) to keep donegal in it. unfortunately our boat has long since sailed with no return in sight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Was implying Dublin can thank Donegal (well McGuinness) for highlighting deficiencies in their play. Don't forget also the fine margins in Donegals win namely the fantastic saves / blocks (or bad misses if you're a dub) to keep donegal in it. unfortunately our boat has long since sailed with no return in sight.

We had a Donegal poster here a recently looking for thanks for the Donegal team for preventing a 3 in a row (after 2015)

There's different ways of looking at these things I guess

What do the posters here view as the best way for Donegal to progress and become competitive again?

Should the style change? Could we adapt to a more progressive and offensive style of play and become successful?

Also, does anyone know where and when the Donegal train, and if the public is allowed to watch? This will probably be subject to change when the new manager is appointed aswell I guess. I'm assuming they aren't training at the moment as the season has finished.

What do the posters here view as the best way for Donegal to progress and become competitive again?

Should the style change? Could we adapt to a more progressive and offensive style of play and become successful?

Also, does anyone know where and when the Donegal train, and if the public is allowed to watch? This will probably be subject to change when the new manager is appointed aswell I guess. I'm assuming they aren't training at the moment as the season has finished.
    They train at the Donegal Centre of Mediocrity in Convoy.

With regards to progression, it shouldn't be too difficult to arrest the current decline with a capable management team. Get the best players playing for the county, play them in their best positions, have a tactical approach that the players clearly understand and buy into, improve our S&C and have something that vaguely resembles a kick out strategy.

RMDrive wrote: »
    Met Brian McEniff coming out of Croke Park yesterday. Was great to be able to spend a few minutes reminiscing about 92 with him and great to see him and the team get a warm acknowledgement from the crowd when presented.

V poor coverage of it on RTE - You could just barely see the outline of the team on the pitch over Brolly's shoulder. Lyster and O'Rourke did speak warmly about the day in 1992 itself and the team, but all very brief.

It was the only segment of the Half Time coverage I watched. Spillane and Brolly's disdain for each other is cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

RTEs coverage of the final was pretty pathetic imho. The half time slot was more a chance for the lads to hop off each other than any discussion and analysis of what went on in the first half. I was no fan of Sky coming onto the GAA scene but they certainly put RTE firmly in the shade when it comes to how their panellists operate and what they contribute.
    But anyways, that's a discussion for another thread I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

V poor coverage of it on RTE - You could just barely see the outline of the team on the pitch over Brolly's shoulder. Lyster and O'Rourke did speak warmly about the day in 1992 itself and the team, but all very brief.

It was the only segment of the Half Time coverage I watched. Spillane and Brolly's disdain for each other is cringeworthy.

Then Brolly being a stain as per "very flaky Dublin team".

He's a shítehawk.

• Advertisement

Then Brolly being a stain as per "very flaky Dublin team".

He's a shítehawk.

Yea that was a bit ****ty alright - 'sure Colm, the dubs were 5 points up against us in '93...'

Whilst Brolly really annoys me on TSG, (he pulls faces like he has piles) i'd take him over Spillane any day. Brolly is perfect for the Podcast/Colm Parkinson/Off the Ball type format which is more informal. I recall Highland Radio's GAA Programme being in Sally O'Brien's in Omagh before Tyrones AI Final in 08 (iirc). Brolly was on that night and he obviously had a few Stouts before the show went live and he was in flying form. Poor Charlie Collins and Tom Comack were lamenting that they hadn't a bleep machine for him... expletives galore!

Advertisement