Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Any white smoke coming from MacCumhaill Park?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Any white smoke coming from MacCumhaill Park?

October CB meeting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Yea that was a bit ****ty alright - 'sure Colm, the dubs were 5 points up against us in '93...'

Whilst Brolly really annoys me on TSG, (he pulls faces like he has piles) i'd take him over Spillane any day. Brolly is perfect for the Podcast/Colm Parkinson/Off the Ball type format which is more informal. I recall Highland Radio's GAA Programme being in Sally O'Brien's in Omagh before Tyrones AI Final in 08 (iirc). Brolly was on that night and he obviously had a few Stouts before the show went live and he was in flying form. Poor Charlie Collins and Tom Comack were lamenting that they hadn't a bleep machine for him... expletives galore!
    Regularly hear him on the radio effing and blinding and refusing to stop when asked-shows what an ignoramus he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

25 years ago today. I know it didn't really feature on TV but hope all those men had a great weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

25 years ago today. I know it didn't really feature on TV but hope all those men had a great weekend.

They were in Great form when I was chatting to a Few of them. God Bless everyone of there souls. The day that changed everything

Loved the way big Muarry kept waving at the hill. Some men

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Saw them in the Skylon on Saturday night- most of them having a quiet night. Mind you as Brolly said, they celebrated the All Ireland for a full year.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Only took a handful of pics on the day, disposable had no zoom:D, this was probably the best of a bad bunch...428390.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I was in the Cusack stand on my own as a 12 year old. My Dad went to a massive effort to get tickets for myself and a sister who had gone to all the games of that era, even if it meant we were separated. We just had to meet at the Bank of Ireland at the top of Jones road after the game. I was well looked after by the fans surrounding me anyway

I have vivid memories of the Armagh fans, there for the minor game, going as nuts as the Donegal fans in the second half. Lots of hugs from random strangers afterwards,and a massive family celebration in my uncle's house afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

I have vivid memories of the Armagh fans, there for the minor game, going as nuts as the Donegal fans in the second half. Lots of hugs from random strangers afterwards,and a massive family celebration in my uncle's house afterwards.

Were some amount of Armagh fans in the canal end too and as you say, they were adopted Donegal fans for over an hour... They should have won that day too, beaten I think by a goal at the death to lose by a point..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Aye, memories of us joining in with the Armagh fans singing Dessie's gonna get ye (Des Mackin) at the Meath fullback. Then the Armagh fans joining us in heckling Charlie after his penalty miss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

I like Ciaran Murphy's piece in the Times today about pooling all sponsorship money. That's one of the biggest limitations that we have. Most of the money spent on the county team goes on travel whereas Dublin and Kerry can spent it on player development.

harpsman wrote: »
    Saw them in the Skylon on Saturday night- most of them having a quiet night. Mind you as Brolly said, they celebrated the All Ireland for a full year.:o

He takes enjoyment from nothing that Derry bollox.

Must have taken his heart out that time he gave away the kidney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

In light of some of the nonsense written about the 2012 team in The Greatest Team Ever thread I thought it would be interesting to do a head to head between our two AI winning teams. (that and the fact I'm bored this morning)

1 Gary Walsh v Paul Durcan - Two large imposing figures with good kick outs. The emphasis on kick outs certainly changed over twenty years and Durcan redefined what we expected from a keeper. Walsh, however, was a good solid all round keeper.
    ADV-Even

2 Barry McGowan v Paddy McGrath - I'm a big fan of Paddy and what he brings to the team but Barry was a Rolls Royce of a player who could fill any jersey from 2-15.
    ADV-92

3 Matt Gallagher v Neil McGee - Two robust players who manned the square with a real presence. Matt did a job on Vinny Murphy but Neil is Neil.
    ADV-12

4 Noel Hegarty v Frank McGlynn - Every team needs a Noel Hegarty, a man sculptured from the Wild Atlantic Way, one of my favourite Donegal players but Frank was the 2012 equivalent of Barry McGowan.
    ADV-12

5 Donal Reid v Eamonn McGee - Reid is one of the true Donegal gaels totally committed to the cause. Eamonn was one of the real successes of the Jim era and we would not have won the AI if he hadn't returned, however for me Reid just edges it.
    ADV-92

6 Martin Gavigan v Karl Lacey - Rambo was ahead of his team with S&C, an absolute beast of a man who physically dominated his channel but Karl is possibly the best we've ever had.
    ADV-12

7 John Joe Doherty v Anthony Thompson - John Joe only played in the final as a result of an injury to Martin Shovlin but was immense that day and a possible contender for MOM. Anthony Thompson was integral to Jim's system covering every blade of grass but JJ was the better footballer.
    ADV-92

8 Anthony Molloy v Neil Gallagher - Two legends of Donegal football, big in body and big in spirit. Molloy was inspirational in 92 but Neil was a better version of the same model.
    ADV-12

9 Brian Murray v Rory Kavanagh - Murray was rock solid understanding exactly what was expected of him. Kavanagh reinvented himself under Jim to become a top quality midfielder.
    ADV-12

10 James McHugh v Ryan Bradley - James was one of the first "modern day" half forwards with a ferocious appetite for work. The loss of Ryan to emigration was a bigger blow to Donegal football than anyone realised at the time. What would we do now to have him firing on all cylinders?
    ADV-Even

11 Martin McHugh v Leo McLoone - McHugh made the 92 team tick, he was their go to man. We all know what Leo brought to the team, something that has been sorely missed in his absence.
    ADV-92

12 Joyce McMullan v Mark McHugh - I wore a no12 jersey to the 92 final (I also wore it in 2012). McHugh was immense in 2012 but for me Joyce just had a little bit more.
    ADV-92

13 Declan Bonner v Paddy McBrearty - Every team needs a classy left footed forward. Paddy, I believe, is now a better player than Declan was but Declan was better than the 2012 version of Paddy.
    ADV-92

14 Tony Boyle v Michael Murphy - Tony was the second best 14 I ever saw in the Donegal jersey.
    ADV-12

15 Manus Boyle v Colm Anthony McFadden - Manus was MOM in 92 kicking 9 points when coming into the team for Tommy Ryan in a superb individual performance. However, until the final, he was distinctly average.
    ADV-12

Subs - 92 Paul Callaghan, John Cunningham, Sylvester Maguire, Martin Shovlin, Barry Cunningham, Charlie Mulgrew, Michael Gallagher, Mark Crossan, Paul Carr, Tommy Ryan, Jim McGuinness
    12 Michael Boyle, Martin McElhinney, Marty Boyle, David Walsh, Christy Toye, Stephen Griffin, Daniel McLaughlin, Marty O'Reilly, Dermot Molloy, Declan Walsh, Adrian Hanlon
    ADV-92

Eunan Gallagher v Kevin Cassidy - Two abrasive half back who were never afraid to express an opinion. The story of Cass is well documented. What is less well known is the Eunan was an unused sub in the first game of the championship against Cavan. He didn't hold back in his criticism of McEniff after the game and left the panel.

Opinions please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Even as a Dub I will never tire of that 2012 team. The 1992 team however... well... you know what happened. :)

You forgot to put the managers against each other downthemiddle ... that's bound to ignite a few fires! :D Mr Donegal, Brian McEniff, a man who gave his life to Donegal GAA, still togged out for his club up until nearly 60 I believe, versus our saviour Jim. Good luck with that one! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Was implying Dublin can thank Donegal (well McGuinness) for highlighting deficiencies in their play. Don't forget also the fine margins in Donegals win namely the fantastic saves / blocks (or bad misses if you're a dub) to keep donegal in it. unfortunately our boat has long since sailed with no return in sight.

As Donegal manager that was Jim Mc Guinness`s job.
    One that he did superbly and proved contrary to a lot of the media "experts" that his team were much more than one trick ponies with nothing other than 14 men behind the ball who if they went behind by any margin would not win a game.
    After 23 mins we were 0-8 to 0-3 down and from that point on outscored Dublin by 3-11 t- 0-9, so I would not look at beating Dublin, a team that were unbackable favourites by 6 points as a "fine margin".
    Neither would I look at Dublin "bad misses" being a factor.
    Dublin`s initial 8 points came from Donegal defending too deep allowing them within range to pick off scores.
    Once Mc Guinness`s got Donegal back to playing the game plan Dublin hadn`t a clue how to breach the defence and were reduced to attempting crazy Hail Mary shots rather than bad misses.

Donegal may not be in a great place football wise at the minute, but for me at least, I would question how much of that has to do with the past three years on a teams confidence when two Ulster finals were lost due to inept management.
    Are we worse off now than we were in 2010 leaving Armagh after being hammered in the championship where upon we were taken over by a manager who actually knew what he was doing, where we went on to win 3 Ulster`s and appear in 2 All Ireland Senior finals ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

County Committee special meeting scheduled for tomorrow evening. A decision has been reached

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    You forgot to put the managers against each other downthemiddle ... that's bound to ignite a few fires! :D Mr Donegal, Brian McEniff, a man who gave his life to Donegal GAA, still togged out for his club up until nearly 60 I believe, versus our saviour Jim. Good luck with that one! :P
    Do you really think I forgot??

In 92 the players bought McEniff a medal as the manager didn't get one. Jim, of course, already had one in 2012.

Ok so preferred not to say then is it? :P

Even as a Dub I will never tire of that 2012 team. The 1992 team however... well... you know what happened. :)
    I was playing club football in Dublin in 92. I couldn't believe how Donegal were being dismissed before the game. That Donegal team had a good record against Dublin and had no fear of them. All opinions seemed to be based on the semi final v Mayo which was an atrocious game, rather than on the overall ability of the Donegal team. I stood on The Hill for Dublin's semi final against Clare and listened to the sages that day pronounce how Clare would beat the pick of Donegal and Mayo. Con Clarke, the then chair of the DCB, made the speech the day before the final about how Sam Maguire would be back in Dublin in less than 24hrs. Donegal were written off throughout the capital as a team with no hope. The final was seen as a coronation.
    It was remarkable, even more so than 2014

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Ok so preferred not to say then is it? :P
    I like to pick my battles, anyway I did ask for other opinions. It could make for good debate before we pick holes in the new management team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

In light of some of the nonsense written about the 2012 team in The Greatest Team Ever thread I thought it would be interesting to do a head to head between our two AI winning teams.

I scrolled slowly wondering how you would handle the no.14 question.
    14 Tony Boyle v Michael Murphy - Tony was the second best 14 I ever saw in the Donegal jersey.
    ADV-12

Tony Boyle was a serious player but I would have no problem with your call there.

Donegal sports Hub reporting the manger position to be offered to Declan Bonner

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/declan-bonner-unveiled-new-donegal-manager-friday-evening/

smashey wrote: »
    Donegal sports Hub reporting the manger position to be offered to Declan Gallagher

http://www.donegalsporthub.com/declan-bonner-unveiled-new-donegal-manager-friday-evening/
    I'd prefer Declan Bonner myself ;)

smashey wrote: »
    Donegal sports Hub reporting the manger position to be offered to Declan Gallagher

No great surprise there tbh, even if Declan Gallagher threw me there for a minute.
    I would like to see him have Gary Mc Daid in his backroom team, but highly unlikely I`m afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

charlie14 wrote: »
    As Donegal manager that was Jim Mc Guinness`s job.
    One that he did superbly and proved contrary to a lot of the media "experts" that his team were much more than one trick ponies with nothing other than 14 men behind the ball who if they went behind by any margin would not win a game.
    After 23 mins we were 0-8 to 0-3 down and from that point on outscored Dublin by 3-11 t- 0-9, so I would not look at beating Dublin, a team that were unbackable favourites by 6 points as a "fine margin".
    Neither would I look at Dublin "bad misses" being a factor.
    Dublin`s initial 8 points came from Donegal defending too deep allowing them within range to pick off scores.
    Once Mc Guinness`s got Donegal back to playing the game plan Dublin hadn`t a clue how to breach the defence and were reduced to attempting crazy Hail Mary shots rather than bad misses.

Donegal may not be in a great place football wise at the minute, but for me at least, I would question how much of that has to do with the past three years on a teams confidence when two Ulster finals were lost due to inept management.
    Are we worse off now than we were in 2010 leaving Armagh after being hammered in the championship where upon we were taken over by a manager who actually knew what he was doing, where we went on to win 3 Ulster`s and appear in 2 All Ireland Senior finals ?

I remember in the lead up to that game the way Donegal were casually dismissed. quite frankly I thought it was dangerous. I also thought that no Jim Gavin team would buy into it. And it seems they didn't at the beginning.

We just went about our game and picked off scores. There's a great photo of that day taken of me in Cusack 312 right on the corner; my Dungannon mate to my right and my Letterkenny missus to my left. It was taken around the 20min mark and I recall as clear as day turning around to my mate (it seems that this is when the pic was taken), and saying to him "Game over. Let's go!" because we were looking like we were going to go on a rampage.

This is when we bought into the hype I say. Couple that with McGuinness' change of tack and a Connolly miss and the rest is history. Weirdly I walked out of Croker merely praying you'd finish the job against that shower. That's all I asked... I asked the same of Mayo in 2006 too....

---

Re the bolded bit: The idea that ye are "blanket" defence and one-trick ponies still permeates despite all the evidence to the contrary between 2011-2014.

The sheer amount of stylistic and tactical changes and fluidity that took place in that period shows what an absolute genius Jim was.

The 2012 team were one of the best footballing teams I've ever seen. The sheer ferocity with the way they broke was a sight to behold. Some of the off-shoulder running was exceptional.

Whenever anyone resorts to "blanket defence and Ulster/Donegal I tune out. They know nahim.

I like to pick my battles, anyway I did ask for other opinions. It could make for good debate before we pick holes in the new management team.

That is a battle there is no need for anyone to engage in imho.

Two absolute gentlemen that have both given me some of the greatest days of my life through there total belief, (and management skills), that we were good enough and instilled that belief in their squads.

On your comparison of the 1992 and 2012 teams. Spot on imo but like a previous poster I read towards 14 like a father being asked to choose one of his two equally loved twin sons.

I'd prefer Declan Bonner myself ;)

:o

Lesson today: Don't Boards and Facebook at the same time!

Bradley ahead of wee James?

Come on man.

• Advertisement

Aye was only messing with ye!

Advertisement