Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

No surprise with Bonner.

At the very least should be a competitive selection process for the panel this year. And get boys (Odhran, Leo) back in.

It's interesting to see what he'll do with Michael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Bradley ahead of wee James?

Come on man.
    Ryan Bradley won man of the match twice during the 2012 campaign and also won a footballer of the month award. I marked them as even because I always had time for James as a player and he won an All Star in 92

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

All the best to Declan Bonner. Hopefully the players will buy in and he can bring something different and better to what we have seen for the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭thesultan

I hope yee go a bit more offensive next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

thesultan wrote:
    I hope yee go a bit more offensive next year.

We were offensive enough to watch for the last few years...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Adh mór Declan, nice end to the week that's in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

charlie14 wrote: »
    As Donegal manager that was Jim Mc Guinness`s job.
    One that he did superbly and proved contrary to a lot of the media "experts" that his team were much more than one trick ponies with nothing other than 14 men behind the ball who if they went behind by any margin would not win a game.
    After 23 mins we were 0-8 to 0-3 down and from that point on outscored Dublin by 3-11 t- 0-9, so I would not look at beating Dublin, a team that were unbackable favourites by 6 points as a "fine margin".
    Neither would I look at Dublin "bad misses" being a factor.
    Dublin`s initial 8 points came from Donegal defending too deep allowing them within range to pick off scores.
    Once Mc Guinness`s got Donegal back to playing the game plan Dublin hadn`t a clue how to breach the defence and were reduced to attempting crazy Hail Mary shots rather than bad misses.

Donegal may not be in a great place football wise at the minute, but for me at least, I would question how much of that has to do with the past three years on a teams confidence when two Ulster finals were lost due to inept management.
    Are we worse off now than we were in 2010 leaving Armagh after being hammered in the championship where upon we were taken over by a manager who actually knew what he was doing, where we went on to win 3 Ulster`s and appear in 2 All Ireland Senior finals ?

Fine margin = one goal chance taken and we're beaten out the door.
    MC Guinness was indeed a tactical genius (although of the high wire variety) on the day and Donegal run out comfortable winners. McGuinness's magic fitted the times where opposition teams were led onto the proverbial sucker punch. Yes three Ulster's and an all Ireland is a monumental achievement. Imagine if he had got the job in 2009 or 2010?

However teams and tactics evolve and the triumph in the semifinal in 2014 will not be repeated for some time to come.

Our team is worse off now having had Gallagher in charge for three years.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Fine margin = one goal chance taken and we're beaten out the door.
    MC Guinness was indeed a tactical genius (although of the high wire variety) on the day and Donegal run out comfortable winners. McGuinness's magic fitted the times where opposition teams were led onto the proverbial sucker punch. Yes three Ulster's and an all Ireland is a monumental achievement. Imagine if he had got the job in 2009 or 2010?

However teams and tactics evolve and the triumph in the semifinal in 2014 will not be repeated for some time to come.

Our team is worse off now having had Gallagher in charge for three years.

In the 2014 Semi from the 23rd minute we outscored Dublin by 3-11 to 0-09 beating them by 6 points.
    I wouldn`t see any fine margin in that score or that once Mc Guinness got Donegal back to the game plan, Dublin were like headless chickens.
    I wouldn`t see anything high wire about that or that he lead opposition teams into being sucker punched.
    Just good management.

Of course teams and tactics evolve and like Mc Guinness in his four years in charge showed, a good manager evolves his tactics to suit.

I would totally agree that we are worse off now from Gallaghers three years in charge, but I still would not see us worse off than 2010 when we lost too Armagh 2-14 to 0-11.

It`s not as if there are that many counties setting the football world alight at the moment.

In the 2014 Semi from the 23rd minute we outscored Dublin by 3-11 to 0-09 beating them by 6 points.
    I wouldn`t see any fine margin in that score or that once Mc Guinness got Donegal back to the game plan, Dublin were like headless chickens.
    I wouldn`t see anything high wire about that or that he lead opposition teams into being sucker punched.
    Just good management.

Of course teams and tactics evolve and like Mc Guinness in his four years in charge showed, a good manager evolves his tactics to suit.

I would totally agree that we are worse off now from Gallaghers three years in charge, but I still would not see us worse off than 2010 when we lost too Armagh 2-14 to 0-11.

It`s not as if there are that many counties setting the football world alight at the moment.

Panel is worse.

Panel is worse.

There weren`t many thought much off the panel in 2010 either after the exit to Armagh. Some even called for it to be totally scraped and start from scratch, yet many of them went on to win Ulster the following year and a Senior AI the year after.

If Declan Bonner can get McLoone and McNiallais back it will strengthen the panel, plus there are several talented footballer coming through from recent minor and U21 teams, (some who showed promise during this years league) who with proper strength and conditioning to bring them up to inter county championship level will also strengthen the panel.

Find a mid-fielder that will allow Murphy to do his thing, sort out our defense, which was a shambles this year and get a keeper that can kick out a ball with some direction and we would be well on the way to at the least challenging for Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

So Declan is the man. Best of luck to him. It takes balls to put yourself forward for a role that will be scrutinised to the finest detail by all Donegal Gaels (including me, from behind my keyboard:D)

doc_17 wrote: »
    I like Ciaran Murphy's piece in the Times today about pooling all sponsorship money. That's one of the biggest limitations that we have. Most of the money spent on the county team goes on travel whereas Dublin and Kerry can spent it on player development.

The figures quoted per registered club player in the top 3 counties vs Dublin is staggering:

http://www.offtheball.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/57592/Financial_imbalances_in_the_GAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

The figures quoted per registered club player in the top 3 counties vs Dublin is staggering:

http://www.offtheball.com/podcasts/Off_The_Ball/GAA_on_Off_The_Ball/57592/Financial_imbalances_in_the_GAA

Yeah but I was wondering if comparing funding to registered club players (which means I think adult players??) is an arbitrary comparison? Surely the Games Dev Funding is put to use for things like schools coaches? And given that Dublin have way more schools...

Good luck to Declan. But if he does the thing that he's done on his minor and U21 teams he will lose my backing immediately. And probably th players as well.

Good luck to Declan. But if he does the thing that he's done on his minor and U21 teams he will lose my backing immediately. And probably th players as well.
    Win Ulster titles???

Win Ulster titles???

I'd rather not say what it is as it might not be fair. But most people who have analysed his squads might know what I'm in about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I'd rather not say what it is as it might not be fair. But most people who have analysed his squads might know what I'm in about.

Nepotism?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Not much point saying anything if its not fair to elaborate on it.

Declans done alright with the under age teams. Maybe blew an Ulster minor in 2015 but screwed over w u21s this year.

Nepotism?

2014 ?

I think it is fair to say that most people have reservations about Declan but that he was the best of the nominated candidates for the job.
    I admire the fact that he has never shirked from putting his neck on the block for his county. He took on the senior job at a very young age with little experience. He then went back into club management before investing his time in development squads and working his way back to the top job. He has always been committed to the county cause.
    He is opinionated and, while you may not always agree with him, he has the county's best interests at heart.
    There is another high profile member of the 92 team who is known to exert his influence in the background. I'm sure if things went according to plan last year he would now be the county manager. However, unlike Declan, he has never had the courage of his convictions and allowed his name to go forward for the job.
    We all know, Declan included I'm sure, that he will face criticism as he will surely make mistakes. I believe he has limitations as a manager and hopefully his backroom team will include strong and talented individuals. I'm happy though that we have a man in charge who will give everything for the Donegal cause. I just hope he learns from past mistakes.

• Advertisement

Delighted to see Paul McGonigle as Declan's assistant, a link to the Jim era which, hopefully, is more successful than the last one.

Any more backroom names?

Delighted to see Paul McGonigle as Declan's assistant, a link to the Jim era which, hopefully, is more successful than the last one.

Paul is very knowledgeable about the game and will add value to the set up. We will wait and see if Declan has learned from past mistakes and the defeats in 2014 and 2016. Certainly moving on from a mass defensive setup at senior level would be a start.

Paul is very knowledgeable about the game and will add value to the set up. We will wait and see if Declan has learned from past mistakes and the defeats in 2014 and 2016. Certainly moving on from a mass defensive setup at senior level would be a start.

Sorting out the defensive shambles we saw this year would be a good start.

Good luck to Paul McGonigle.
    That he knows many of the squad from the Jim McGuinness era will make him a valuable asset.

Any more backroom names?

On the Ocean FM podcast he wasn`t giving anything away other than Paul McGonigle as his number 2.
    Mentioned he hoped that players that didn`t wish to be involved last season will make themselves available.
    Strength and conditioning seem to be a major aim,especially with the younger members of the squad, plus introducing more kick passing into our game.

So far all sounds good.

I will always remember Paul Mc Gonigle's article in the Inishowen Independant after the 'hapless capitulation' v Monaghan in Omagh in 2007. Pulled no punches. Was admirable that he got involved with the Squad under Jim that included a few players that he called out that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Heres hoping for a few Boners from Bonner's football next summer.

I'll get my coat...

Against Armagh semi final 2003 wasn`t Paul McGonigle taken off at some stage to be replaced by Jim McGuinness, for McGuinness`s final game as a county player ?
    I may be wrong though.
    Just have a feeling I heard it mentioned somewhere when McGuinness appointed him in 2013.

Against Armagh semi final 2003 wasn`t Paul McGonigle taken off at some stage to be replaced by Jim McGuinness, for McGuinness`s final game as a county player ?
    I may be wrong though.
    Just have a feeling I heard it mentioned somewhere when McGuinness appointed him in 2013.
    All I remember was the Paul's intercepted pass resulting the full back Sweeney? getting a second yellow.

• Advertisement

All I remember was the Paul's intercepted pass resulting the full back Sweeney? getting a second yellow.

Raymond Sweeney. Mick Monaghan from Kildare judged that he had intentionally taken down Oisin McConville and sent him off early in the second half.

Advertisement