Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Declan saying all the right things so far. Let's hope he can follow up on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

charlie14 wrote: »
    Raymond Sweeney. Mick Monaghan from Kildare judged that he had intentionally taken down Oisin McConville and sent him off early in the second half.

I remember McEniff left Nial McCready playing on Stevie McDonnell instead of dropping a bigger man back to guard the square. Typical Armagh high ball in and McCready tries to win it in the air. MC Donnell out jumps him and then sticks it in the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I remember McEniff left Nial McCready playing on Stevie McDonnell instead of dropping a bigger man back to guard the square. Typical Armagh high ball in and McCready tries to win it in the air. MC Donnell out jumps him and then sticks it in the net.

The form Stevie McDonnell was in then, plus his sheer physicality, (he was as strong as a bull), I don`t know if it would have made much difference who was on him when he got the type of ball delivered in that he wanted tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Stevies last point into the hill in 2002 to win the All Ireland was some score. Aidan O'Rourkes ball into him however was equally delicious.

Any time I think of Niall Mc Cready I think of his wrestling with Mugsy in Clones in '04!!!

Stevies last point into the hill in 2002 to win the All Ireland was some score. Aidan O'Rourkes ball into him however was equally delicious.

Any time I think of Niall Mc Cready I think of his wrestling with Mugsy in Clones in '04!!!

That diagonal ball into McDonnell and Clarke was a killer to defend against
    Two big strong men with good feet and McConville buzzing around as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

The form Stevie McDonnell was in then, plus his sheer physicality, (he was as strong as a bull), I don`t know if it would have made much difference who was on him when he got the type of ball delivered in that he wanted tbh.

McCready being the last line of defence should never try and win a high ball in front of his man and instead should of punched it away or worst case if McDonnell gets it prevent a goal.

McCready being the last line of defence should never try and win a high ball in front of his man and instead should of punched it away or worst case if McDonnell gets it prevent a goal.

Right ball in to him there were very few, if any that could outfield McDonnell on his day, and with his sheer physical strength, when he got his hands on it could hold him out.

Even in the Compromise Rules series professional Australian footballers had difficulty out-fielding him and dealing with his sheer power.
    Even based on that alone, I wouldn`t be to harsh on Niall McCready.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Stevie was one of those special one in a generation players.

---

Still feels dirty giving an Armagh man credit though it must be said.

Much better semi final than tonight even though at one stage it looked like a mismatch. Fair play to Naomh Conaill and Leo McLoone and Eoin Waide who really drove them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Much better semi final than tonight even though at one stage it looked like a mismatch. Fair play to Naomh Conaill and Leo McLoone and Eoin Waide who really drove them on.

I thought Cassidy was exceptional when introduced.

I'll get my coat.

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote:
    I thought Cassidy was exceptional when introduced.

Aye that interview at half time. An outstanding cameo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

Eoin Wade was exceptional. Be an interesting time for the Naomh Conaill manager over the next two weeks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

Kilcar by 5

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Mick Monaghan from

There shall be no more mention of that gurrier on this board please.

14 years on and the pain still resides. He acted the bollix against us a few times, remember one in Clones too. The git.

The bottom of Division 2 is some mess. Any one of 5 teams could still go down along with Killybegs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

doc_17 wrote: »
    The bottom of Division 2 is some mess. Any one of 5 teams could still go down along with Killybegs.

I reckon McCools will go down

raiders11 wrote: »
    I reckon McCools will go down

Maybe not a good idea not to reckon that anywhere around the twin towns :)

Good win for Milford today.

It's definitely gonna need a few results to go their way if they don't beat Ardara

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

League Fixtures out, 3 at home, 4 away

Round 1: Saturday, Jan 27th: Dublin v Kildare; Sunday, January 28th: Galway v Tyrone, Kerry v Donegal, Monaghan v Mayo

Round 2: Saturday February 3rd: Mayo v Kerry, Tyrone v Dublin; Sunday, February 4th: Donegal v Galway, Kildare v Monaghan

Round 3: Saturday February 10th: Dublin v Donegal; Sunday February 11th: Galway v Mayo, Kildare v Tyrone, Monaghan v Kerry

Round 4: Saturday February 24th: Mayo v Dublin, Monaghan v Tyrone; Sunday February 25th: Donegal v Kildare, Kerry v Galway

Round 5: Saturday March 3rd: Dublin v Kerry, Tyrone v Donegal; Sunday March 4th: Galway v Monaghan, Kildare v Mayo

Round 6: Saturday March 17th: Mayo v Tyrone; Sun, March 18th: Galway v Dublin, Kerry v Kildare, Monaghan v Donegal

Round 7: Sunday Mar 25th: Donegal v Mayo, Dublin v Monaghan, Kildare v Galway, Tyrone v Kerry

Hopefully MM Sports will stream Sunday's County Final on Facebook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Hopefully MM Sports will stream Sunday's County Final on Facebook.

Is she on Eir Sports?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

doc_17 wrote: »

What happens if teams are level on points after the league finished, how is it decided?

Is she on Eir Sports?

Nope, don't think they have any finals. TG4 showing something else.

Anyway, Naomh Conaill to win.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Is she on Eir Sports?

Nope, don't think they have any finals. TG4 showing something else.

Anyway, Naomh Conaill to win.
    As turkeys go, that was some gobble gobble. Pure and utter cat malojen stuff in Ballybofey. I nearly asked for my money back!

By all accounts, it was bad.

I was listening via Highland. Tried to watch the stream but it was pretty unreliable.

Kilcar seemed to do well defensively but Naomh Conaill probably played into their hands but running into them.

Took Naomh Conaill +3 so pretty sickening!

Glad to see Michael Hegarty get a title. Was a pity he couldn't give it one more year after 2011. Could be first of a few for Ryan McHugh.

Mark McHugh man of the match. Nuff said!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    By all accounts, it was bad.

I was listening via Highland. Tried to watch the stream but it was pretty unreliable.

Kilcar seemed to do well defensively but Naomh Conaill probably played into their hands but running into them.

Took Naomh Conaill +3 so pretty sickening!

Glad to see Michael Hegarty get a title. Was a pity he couldn't give it one more year after 2011. Could be first of a few for Ryan McHugh.

Mark McHugh man of the match. Nuff said!
    What you thought was the buffering of the live stream was actually the game played in real time such was it's slowness!

Thought Ryan McHugh deserved motm. He really is top quality.

Handy enough draw for Declan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The preliminary round is a pain in the hole, but aside from that, I think its a very winnable side of the draw. I think we're capable of reaching an Ulster final against those teams, Antrim aside, we're probably at a similar level to them at this stage. Delighted to see Tyrone and Monaghan drawn in the first round, hopefully they kick lumps out of each other in a 3 game saga

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Good to see Tyrone and Monaghan on the other side alright and maybe the extra round might work for us to give Declan a chance to learn a bit more. Home draw first out is obviously nice too.

• Advertisement

Preliminary round is a pain and Cavan could be tricky enough, but on the plus side we have them at home and Tyrone and Monaghan on the other side of the draw where they are more than welcome to kick lumps out of each other.
    Declan will be happy enough I imagine and a fair shot of making the Ulster Final.
    This Super 8s will make it a long road for any team that gets beaten early.

Anyway, the league coming up before all that which last year was a bit of a false dawn.
    I don`t know when the championship came around we had put too much into the league, the younger lads didn`t have the strength and conditioning needed for championship senior, a combination of both, or just that Gallagher was so tactically inept we hadn`t a hope anyway.
    Personally dropping down a division wouldn`t bother me overly. It can give a new manager a bit of breathing space with a team in transition.

Advertisement