Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I would expect this years league to be testing. Going down would be no disaster. Possibly somewhat humbling. If our lads are punching above their weight in the league I would see it as a concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

New manager, "new" team - prelim at home against a weaker (than us) team is prob the best possible situation. I'd welcome it instead of heading straight into Celtic Park.

I don't think we'll be up to much in the league this year so prelim will good to us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

The preliminary round is a pain in the hole, but aside from that, I think its a very winnable side of the draw. I think we're capable of reaching an Ulster final against those teams, Antrim aside, we're probably at a similar level to them at this stage. Delighted to see Tyrone and Monaghan drawn in the first round, hopefully they kick lumps out of each other in a 3 game saga

Hit the nail on the head there, Ulster teams kick lumps out of each other and carry players with injuries into the big games then, come August, whereas the likes of Kerry, will be able rest any niggly injured players and have them fresh come August..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Pat Shovelin has passed away. Very sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Pat Shovelin has passed away. Very sad news.

Very sad news. A great servant to Donegal football.

May he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Poor pat may he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Its just heartbreaking. Such a genuinely great person who gave so much for Donegal and for others.

A mere 41 years of age and with 2 kids under the age of 6 too. Thoughts are with his family and the Ardara club.

God bless you Pat.

Home venues for the league:

Galway - Letterkenny Sunday 4th Feb.

Kildare - Ballyshannon Sunday 25th Feb

Mayo - Ballbofey Sunday 25 March.

Nice to kick off our campaign at home with a defeat in the graveyard anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

What does our county board be thinking moving fixtures around like this all home games should be in Mac Cumhaill Park particularly when we only have 3 home games. Playing politics!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Murphy14 wrote: »
    What does our county board be thinking moving fixtures around like this all home games should be in Mac Cumhaill Park particularly when we only have 3 home games. Playing politics!

Spreading games around the county attempting to make everyone happy I presume.
    I wouldn`t mind so much but when it comes to O`Donnell Park with our record there I doubt we could beat a junior B club side.

• Advertisement

Aside from the awful record in Letterkenny, both O'Donnell Park and Tierney Park are a pain in the hole/back etc for standing with their crappy 'terraces'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Aside from the awful record in Letterkenny, both O'Donnell Park and Tierney Park are a pain in the hole/back etc for standing with their crappy 'terraces'.

In fairness, I've never minded Tierney Park, despite the mountain climb up to it and the exposure to the elements. Letterkenny is a disaster to get in and out of, and is not a particularly nice ground either.

Murphy14 wrote: »

Same debate every year.

I’m in complete favor of it. It’s a big county, we’ve got clubs who have hosted games for years and are well capable of doing so.

I’m south of the gap and never mind going to O’Donnell Park - other than the fact it means going to see Donegal get beat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

Looking forward to seeing the smoke from the burger stand making its way across the field again this year! O’Donnell Park is a terrible venue!

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Ok...so now we know the lay of the land with regards to the 2018 competitive season - we know the championship fixtures, know the league fixtures (assume no change) and we've new management in stock, what about gathering a few opinions, aspirations, and expectations for the coming year. I'll start....
    The league - I'm hoping (and expecting) a solid performance in the league.While we've new management, the bulk of the team have played at this level last year and equipped themselves well. I can see us picking up points against Monaghan, Mayo, Tyrone and I think we'll possibly get something from a transitioning Kerry. Contrary to what some believe, I think maintaining div 1 status is key. It'll give the young fellas a chance to play against the best in the country, and give them a sense of what quality other counties have. A poor league could have a deflationary effect on them which mightn't bode well for the championship. Was it Mickey Hart that said no team from div2 would win an All Ireland. Despite the result of 2014, he's still right in what he says, and I wouldn't disagree with him.
    Ulster - The draw has been good to us this year - for a change. I think playing a preliminary game is a good thing. If there are any hangovers from the league then the sooner we get back at it, the better. I don't see Cavan being up to much this year. If things pan out as normal, I don't see Derry nor Down troubling us much either so that's an Ulster final for us. Given the draw, anything less is an underachievement in my eyes. 
    Management - what I'm really looking for here is a change of style. I don't expect a drastic change but surely enough to make watching the team enjoyable again. I know there's a fine line between success and entertainment but some of their games of late have shown zero entertainment and only slightly more success. I know we're struggling a bit in certain positions (MF being the primary one), but I'd still like to see our defence tighten up, have at least some sort of kick out strategy, introduce a bit more kicking into the team, and find another forward or two. I can't see Murphy playing in on the square and think he's wasted in there anyway, so i'd like to see him play a role around the '45, with a sojourn in around the square every whack about. 
    So, In short, what I'd be happy with for year 1 is -  retain div1 status, make an Ulster Final and have a more direct expansive game plan. No more 'moranic' over and back on the 45 or no more live games for me!
    Year 2 - Maintain div1 status (or if in div2 get promotion at least), Super 8, continue the team momentum.
    Year 3 - Div 1 status.If not an Ulster title then to be classed as serious contenders for one. All Ireland semi final.
    thks....

I'd consider surviving in Division 1 and making the Super 8's by whatever means as a successful season. The last few years Rory put too much into the league imo, and probably cost us a place in the U21 All Ireland too. A couple of scrappy wins to stay up while saving our energies to have a crack at Ulster

I disagree that we should be making an Ulster Final from that side of the draw, but its very achievable. Should beat Cavan, Celtic Park will be tough, and Down are as inconsistent as they come. But the team is still very much in transition, and who knows what way Declan will try and have them play.

Anything less than a McKenna Cup, Ulster Championship, All Ireland and 13 All Stars in 2018 isn't acceptable.

#entitled

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Super 8s is what it's all about from now on. Ulster title would be nice along the way obviously but the way it's going the season will be judged on whether or not you make the super 8s.

"I disagree that we should be making an Ulster Final from that side of the draw...." do you think the other side of the draw is easier? :) 
    @CB - so if we don't make super 8 this year, does that mean the season wasn't successful? While I agree the super 8s is the way forward, if we didn't make it in year 1 I wouldn't consider it unfruitful (depending on the other factors I mentioned above of course). There's nothing in last year's play to suggest to me we are a top 8 team - maybe 7th or 8th but that's about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

It depends on how far off the super 8s we are obviously. If we maintain division 1, lose an Ulster final and then lose the qualifier round to miss out then if the team is showing signs of improvement as they go, you would see that as progress from this year. But I'm sure Declan will be looking at super 8s as his goal and will be disappointed if we don't make it.

• Advertisement

"I disagree that we should be making an Ulster Final from that side of the draw...." do you think the other side of the draw is easier? :) 
    @CB - so if we don't make super 8 this year, does that mean the season wasn't successful? While I agree the super 8s is the way forward, if we didn't make it in year 1 I wouldn't consider it unfruitful (depending on the other factors I mentioned above of course). There's nothing in last year's play to suggest to me we are a top 8 team - maybe 7th or 8th but that's about it.

Although we're avoiding Monaghan/ Tyrone/ Armagh/ the brains behind 2012, there are still 3 games to reach a final. And none of those games are gimmies. So I wouldn't consider it an expectation to reach the final. Super 8's are more important in my opinion, but assuming we don't win Ulster, then its the luck of the draw

But that's exactly it, I'm not looking for what Declan's goals are, I'm looking for what we - the posters - would consider a successful season(s). For example, would you consider it a success if we get relegated from div1, play the same crap football as before, get stuffed by Cavan in the Ulsters, limp into the super 8 via the back door, then get stuffed in every super 8 game? I'm not trying to be facetious or anything, but you'll have found down through the more recent years that Donegal fans built up this level of expectation that was completely out of kilter with the way the team played or team profile (age, experience, retirements etc etc)....

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Do people here class style above winning? I don't believe that Donegal have the players with the correct skills to play an open, progressive game right now, especially after several years of being so used to playing such a negative style under Rory Gallagher. Surely, it's better to win playing defensive football than to lose playing a more attacking game? 
    People here seem to mention the league here quite a bit aswell. Does it really matter? I think many of the stronger teams view the league as something of an irritant and focus on provincial titles and the All-Ireland. Naturally, we shouldn't be getting hammered in the league, but I certainly wouldn't want Donegal to approach a game vs Tyrone/Monaghan in the league with the game plan they intend to use in the championship. Teams will figure Donegal out very easily and make having a go at winning the ulster championship extremely difficult. Losing a game in the league isn't really major, losing a semi final/final in the Ulster championship is.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Do people here class style above winning? I don't believe that Donegal have the players with the correct skills to play an open, progressive game right now, especially after several years of being so used to playing such a negative style under Rory Gallagher. Surely, it's better to win playing defensive football than to lose playing a more attacking game? 

People here seem to mention the league here quite a bit aswell. Does it really matter? I think many of the stronger teams view the league as something of an irritant and focus on provincial titles and the All-Ireland. Naturally, we shouldn't be getting hammered in the league, but I certainly wouldn't want Donegal to approach a game vs Tyrone/Monaghan in the league with the game plan they intend to use in the championship. Teams will figure Donegal out very easily and make having a go at winning the ulster championship extremely difficult. Losing a game in the league isn't really major, losing a semi final/final in the Ulster championship is.

Well now.

From the initial soundbites, on the face of it, to me at least, it appears Declan Bonner will approach the league in a similar fashion to Jim McGuinness. So, I am not expecting much from Division 1 next year, especially considering we have only 3 home games.

Now, in any other year, I would be reasonably confident of beating Galway and Kildare at home, and, to be honest, Mayo too, but as we play them last, they usually finish strong. But, our County Board, in their wisdom, decide to cede home advantage by playing games in Letterkenny and Ballyshannon. Now, whatever about Ballyshannon needing the cash, Letterkenny doesn't, well, not over Ballybofey anyway.

Then you look at our away games. Dublin, Kerry, Monaghan - teams we have absolutely horrible records against. Shame on any Donegal manager who doesn't want to beat Monaghan and by **** we should be able to. But, I expect nothing from those games, except maybe Monaghan, but unless we are really at the races, we won't beat them. Away to Tyrone is a horrible fixture as well, for any number of reasons. They are no great shakes, but they are very much the team to beat in Ulster. I would be more confident of winning in Omagh than in Croke Park or Tralee (Killarney????), but it seems unlikely at this stage.

Hard to know what I want to see in the league. Some new (or indeed players we didn't see last year) get a chance. Try some things, or at least go out and play with a bit of freedom so that even if we don't win, we give a good account of ourselves. Playing ****e football and losing is not acceptable. But I'm not expecting much. The whole 'Ulster Championship' excuse will be trotted out. Fair enough, Declan didn't start that.

Championship. Well, if we have everyone fit and they want to play for this manager, we should be good enough to make it to the Ulster Final. After that, it's probably as much about Tyrone, who are further down the road than we are, so we will need to hope they regress a little. But that's a long shot. If we don't improve from where we were last year, there's every chance Cavan can upset us in Ballybofey - we were there for the taking against Antrim last year.

As long as it looks better than last year, I am not to pushed about results (who did we beat last year?), but I don't want to losing to teams outiside Division 1. Hopefully we can improve or at least get back to something like the level we were at, and the likes of EB Gallagher, J McGee and J Brennan can build on some promising performances from last year and show that they all belong at this level. It will be good to see McLoone and MacNiallais back and hopefully they can make a difference. Declan knows the underage talent, so let's see what he brings through.

Whatever about last year, next year is definitely about 'transition' although the more 'transition' there is, the less years our more experienced players have left.

7th place in Division 1.
    Ulster Final loss to Tyrone.
    1 win in Super 8.

Well now.

From the initial soundbites, on the face of it, to me at least, it appears Declan Bonner will approach the league in a similar fashion to Jim McGuinness. So, I am not expecting much from Division 1 next year, especially considering we have only 3 home games.

Now, in any other year, I would be reasonably confident of beating Galway and Kildare at home, and, to be honest, Mayo too, but as we play them last, they usually finish strong. But, our County Board, in their wisdom, decide to cede home advantage by playing games in Letterkenny and Ballyshannon. Now, whatever about Ballyshannon needing the cash, Letterkenny doesn't, well, not over Ballybofey anyway.

Then you look at our away games. Dublin, Kerry, Monaghan - teams we have absolutely horrible records against. Shame on any Donegal manager who doesn't want to beat Monaghan and by **** we should be able to. But, I expect nothing from those games, except maybe Monaghan, but unless we are really at the races, we won't beat them. Away to Tyrone is a horrible fixture as well, for any number of reasons. They are no great shakes, but they are very much the team to beat in Ulster. I would be more confident of winning in Omagh than in Croke Park or Tralee (Killarney????), but it seems unlikely at this stage.

Hard to know what I want to see in the league. Some new (or indeed players we didn't see last year) get a chance. Try some things, or at least go out and play with a bit of freedom so that even if we don't win, we give a good account of ourselves. Playing ****e football and losing is not acceptable. But I'm not expecting much. The whole 'Ulster Championship' excuse will be trotted out. Fair enough, Declan didn't start that.

Championship. Well, if we have everyone fit and they want to play for this manager, we should be good enough to make it to the Ulster Final. After that, it's probably as much about Tyrone, who are further down the road than we are, so we will need to hope they regress a little. But that's a long shot. If we don't improve from where we were last year, there's every chance Cavan can upset us in Ballybofey - we were there for the taking against Antrim last year.

As long as it looks better than last year, I am not to pushed about results (who did we beat last year?), but I don't want to losing to teams outiside Division 1. Hopefully we can improve or at least get back to something like the level we were at, and the likes of EB Gallagher, J McGee and J Brennan can build on some promising performances from last year and show that they all belong at this level. It will be good to see McLoone and MacNiallais back and hopefully they can make a difference. Declan knows the underage talent, so let's see what he brings through.

Whatever about last year, next year is definitely about 'transition' although the more 'transition' there is, the less years our more experienced players have left.

7th place in Division 1.
    1 win in Super 8.

A good post. I agree with nearly everything.

doc_17 wrote:

Cheers! What do you not agree with?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Redsoxfan wrote:

Three home games, two of which are away.

doc_17 wrote:

Cheers! What do you not agree with?

We were never “there for the taking” against Antrim last year. We put up a record score on them! They were crap!

Or did you mean that had we had a tougher draw we could have been beaten at that stage?

• Advertisement

[quote="Redsoxfan;105103585"

7th place in Division 1.
    1 win in Super 8.[/quote]

That's what I'm looking for - no sitting on the fence.

Advertisement