Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Clifford's first game for Kerry will be on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Clifford's first game for Kerry will be on Sunday

With what they have named up from around him, I would not worry to much for him on that.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

What a shame Neil McGee isn’t there to welcome him into senior football.

Looking forward to seeing this kid in the flesh again.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

What a shame Neil McGee isn’t there to welcome him into senior football.

The Neil of 2011-2015 maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

The Neil of 2011-2015 maybe.

He can still pack a slap! 😄

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

Honestly can’t see us getting a result out of the game.

Hopefully we can put in some sort of a performance and not get any red cards. It’s bital that we beat Galway the next day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

doc_17 wrote:
    It’s bital that we beat Galway the next day.

That game is in Letterkenny.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    That game is in Letterkenny.

Enough said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

I know it is. But surely we should still have a wee chance? Even though nobody is more negative about O’Donnell Park than me.

doc_17 wrote: »
    I know it is. But surely we should still have a wee chance? Even though nobody is more negative about O’Donnell Park than me.

With Galway missing the Corofin contingent and them just out of Div 2, I would rate us with a fairly good chance. Even without Murphy and the three lads missing at the back.
    With it being O`Donnell Park for me it is always case of while hoping for the best fearing for the worst.
    Every time I am approaching the place Dante`s Abandon all hope, ye who enter here comes to mind.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote:
    Hopefully we can put in some sort of a performance and not get any red cards. It’s bital that we beat Galway the next day.

Will be difficult to beat Galway away from home.

Will be difficult to beat Galway away from home.

O`Donnell Park always feels like a game away from home,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Disappointing for such a brave performance with 14 men to get no reward.
    A Mullins sent off against Kerry is hardly a first.

Just saw the sending off, clown.

Two hops for the winning score.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

I cannot endure another season of MAMG.

I cannot endure another season of MAMG.

You must be one of the internet warriors that Moyes Out McGinley is so critical of.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Even the ladies can't win in Letterkenny.

Shame those two umpires vision wasn`t as good for the Kerry penalty as it was when spotting Mullins.

I don`t like blaming refs when we lose, but I did feel the Kerry lads played him well.Ryan McHugh booking is a mystery though, and Jack Savage threw a punch in injury time.

Great performance all the same with great commitment. Especially when down to 14 so early on.
    Paddy McBrearty was unreal, and MacNiallais showed just how much better we are with him in, plus some superb fielding. Great to see Leo McLoone back. Gives us that extra bit of muscle.
    Delighted to see Bonner was not afraid to throw in the young lads like McBreaty Jnr. and young O`Donnell.
    No better place to blood young lads than in Kerry v Kerry.
    Bit open at the back I thought, but not a day to quibble. Half back line did some lovely group smothering at times I though in winning frees and turnovers.
    Good Donegal crowd traveled from reports and great to hear they applauded the team off the pitch after the long whistle.
    Today that team deserved nothing less.

Now if we could only play the next one in Ballybofey :pac::pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Ryan McHugh booking is a mystery though,

:.

From watching it on TV, I would say it was for dissent... Ref seemed blow the whistle for a mark just before the yellow card, the Kerry lad who took the mark, threw the ball to a team mate. It looked like McHugh was implying it should have been a hop ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

Tis a fact. I was behind the goal and saw it clearly. Donegal were very unlucky not to get at least a draw today. Paddy McBrearty is some player but I've known that for a while. He's a tank but he's got all the skills. If Murphy was playing today ye'd have won for sure. Happy enough with our young lads though as ye should be with yere's.

Wasn't able to make it to Killarney unfortunately. Won't get to much this Winter/Spring.

Based on listening on Highland and then watching on TG4, my view is that we kinda left that one behind us. Kerry were able to give 8 players their senior/league debut through the course of the afternoon and still managed to win so they will be happy enough. In fairness, they seemed to miss quite a few easy chances as well.

I thought we were pretty poor in the first half, especially at the back. Tackling and discipline will have to improve.

Paddy McBrearty's point just before half time was simply awesome. I don't recall ever seeing him take a score like that at County level before. Maybe this is the year when he finally steps up and puts this team on his back. We know he has the talent but the application hasn't always been there. Not entirely his fault of course, it's not like we have given him much to work with these last few years.

Good showing from Stephen McBrearty and Niall O'Donnell late on. McClenaghan took his goal really well. But I couldn't tell enough about himself and McGonagle overall. Stephen McMenamin showed well at times but he was part of a full back line that was shredded.

Desperately stupid from Mullins. At the same time, if he was sent off on the word of the umpires at the far end of the pitch that's a bit mad. Penalty seemed soft enough.

Ryan McHugh outplayed by Paul Murphy again. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he was jet lagged given his recent travels. Really poor decision to hit the free to Paddy in the lead up to Geaney's goal.

Fair play to Captain McFadden. Much maligned but he put in a shift. Let's see if he can do it against more seasoned opposition. MacNiallais showed moments of brilliance. Shur we know what he can do.

Plenty to build on but plenty to work on. Galway will be as open as Kerry were so we will get our chances. They will fancy it against our defence too I'm sure.

raiders11 wrote: »
    From watching it on TV, I would say it was for dissent... Ref seemed blow the whistle for a mark just before the yellow card, the Kerry lad who took the mark, threw the ball to a team mate. It looked like McHugh was implying it should have been a hop ball

TG4 showing it on replay seemed to believe the free was for nothing more than McHugh brushing his hand on the Kerry lads hip as he passed and were at a loss as to the card.

Wasn't able to make it to Killarney unfortunately. Won't get to much this Winter/Spring.

Based on listening on Highland and then watching on TG4, my view is that we kinda left that one behind us. Kerry were able to give 8 players their senior/league debut through the course of the afternoon and still managed to win so they will be happy enough. In fairness, they seemed to miss quite a few easy chances as well.

I thought we were pretty poor in the first half, especially at the back. Tackling and discipline will have to improve.

Paddy McBrearty's point just before half time was simply awesome. I don't recall ever seeing him take a score like that at County level before. Maybe this is the year when he finally steps up and puts this team on his back. We know he has the talent but the application hasn't always been there. Not entirely his fault of course, it's not like we have given him much to work with these last few years.

Good showing from Stephen McBrearty and Niall O'Donnell late on. McClenaghan took his goal really well. But I couldn't tell enough about himself and McGonagle overall. Stephen McMenamin showed well at times but he was part of a full back line that was shredded.

Desperately stupid from Mullins. At the same time, if he was sent off on the word of the umpires at the far end of the pitch that's a bit mad. Penalty seemed soft enough.

Ryan McHugh outplayed by Paul Murphy again. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if he was jet lagged given his recent travels. Really poor decision to hit the free to Paddy in the lead up to Geaney's goal.

Fair play to Captain McFadden. Much maligned but he put in a shift. Let's see if he can do it against more seasoned opposition. MacNiallais showed moments of brilliance. Shur we know what he can do.

Plenty to build on but plenty to work on. Galway will be as open as Kerry were so we will get our chances. They will fancy it against our defence too I'm sure.

I would not want to be too severe on them after the shift of them put in today for 3/4 of the game with 14, especially with three seasoned regulars missing from our defence, but our full backline did look a bit open at times. So work needed there ok before Galway.
    Their Comer is a horse of a man with an eye for goal.

charlie14 wrote:
    I don`t like blaming refs when we lose, but I did feel the Kerry lads played him well.Ryan McHugh booking is a mystery though, and Jack Savage threw a punch in injury time.

I'd say we got about 75% of the 50/50 calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

Never could really figure out o Donnell park from a tv point of view . Was never sure if someone forgot to turn off the barbecue at the pre match tailgate party ......or if a bus was.on fire

I'd say we got about 75% of the 50/50 calls.

In case I gave the wrong impression I`m not saying the ref was biased, but I thought a few of the Kerry lads sold him a few pups.
    Mainly the older experience hands up front.
    But then again when some of our lads get a bit more experience and sell a few of their own, I`ll hardly be complaining.
    It happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Paddy McBrearty's point just before half time was simply awesome.

This. I was laughing at how brilliant that point was, he's some buck. Boyle has some boot on him too when he decides to leather it!
    Overall, whilst disappointing to leave with nothing, given it was 14 men for most of the match I thought it was an impressive showing and there are plenty of positives to take away. How nice as well to score 3 goals in a match given how goal shy we have been in recent years.
    Mullins ... alright I know he didn't pick that up off the ground as they say but these are different times to his old man so he'd need to learn quick smart to wise up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭Martina1991

Ceist_Beag wrote:
    Overall, whilst disappointing to leave with nothing, given it was 14 men for most of the match I thought it was an impressive showing and there are plenty of positives to take away. How nice as well to score 3 goals in a match given how goal shy we have been in recent years

I'm not from Donegal but it was refreshing to see Donegal put up a big score and play attacking football.

I thought Tyrone would beat Galway but they refuse to leave their defensive style behind. It'll get them nowhere.

• Advertisement

Irish News reporting, with quotes, that Eoin McHugh has opted out this year to focus on university.

Advertisement