Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Sporthub have it up. basically last year of college in Belfast and commute is killing him. Probably not enough in that area for training sessions like Dublin (do we still have them? Not heard mention of them for a while)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Fair enough, it’s a huge commitment. He should go to the States and enjoy himself for the summer.

He’s replaceable anyway.Hopefully benefit from his rest at some stage in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I'm not from Donegal but it was refreshing to see Donegal put up a big score and play attacking football.

I thought Tyrone would beat Galway but they refuse to leave their defensive style behind. It'll get them nowhere.

As a spectacle it was nice to watch and some lovely scores by Donegal and nice to know it was appreciated.

Unfortunately appreciation of your style of play does not count for much.

It is the scoreboard that counts at the end off the day.

For that reason both defense and attack have to be equally considered imho.

Tyrone getting nowhere wouldn`t lose me any sleep :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

charlie14 wrote:
    Unfortunately appreciation of your style of play does not count for much.

+1

Neither does league football.

Aye good luck to Eoin McHugh. Not sure what to make of him. His pace is his biggest asset, but outside of that I'm not sure of his value. Would like to see him back again to see if he has more to offer.

• Advertisement

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    +1

Neither does league football.

A light appetiser while waiting for the meat and veg.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I've listened to at least 6 or 7 football podcasts since the match and have really struggled to find any actual analysis of the game itself. Some of the shows barely even mention that Kerry were in fact playing another intercounty team. Is it too much to expect discussion beyond the prescribed narratives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

dog_pig wrote: »
    I've listened to at least 6 or 7 football podcasts since the match and have really struggled to find any actual analysis of the game itself. Some of the shows barely even mention that Kerry were in fact playing another intercounty team. Is it too much to expect discussion beyond the prescribed narratives?

Same here, Colm Parkinson, Second Captains etc, apparently Kerry were the only team on the field on Sunday, and in particular, the only team who were blooding youngsters. Only thing of note from a Donegal perspective was O'Se with an ignorant comment on Sunday night comparing Donegal to Tyrone.

Don't really care to be honest, the less spotlight on the team, the better

I had forgotten all about Kieran Gillespie, even though he played against Galway last year. If he comes back in 2015 form and Paddy and Neil are in fighting fit form for May, then my concerns about our full back line are not what they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

That fcuking ground

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Letterkenny. Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

By all accounts another winnable match scuppered by some poor decision making in the last 10 minutes. Hugh, while improved, possibly shouldn't have shot as the ref was likely to blow it up as soon as the ball went dead.

How and ever, probably where I expected us to be at this point. Makings of a good team and as a wise man once said it's only February.

Kinda threw that one away between the 45 & 55 min.

Niall O Donnell dropped one into the keeper hands, Doherty terrible wide in front of the post and Paddy McBrearty kick a free wide (No criticism of him, he was excellent overall) and sandwiched in there a very dodgy free scored by Walsh for Galway.
    No luck went our way either. But then it was Letterkenny.

#letterkennyout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Saw both of the Donegal games now and it's a bad place to be, no points from two "good" performances.

Though last week was bad luck not to get a point out of it.

Stoner wrote:
    Saw both of the Donegal games now and it's a bad place to be, no points from two "good" performances.

Bad place as regards the league. Nothing else.

Surely in that position the ball is recycled until it gets to Paddy McBrearty, McNiallais, or Ryan McHugh. To be fair though Hugh McFadden was good again.

Thought we looked a bit lost attacking that defence at times in the second half, played well overall outside of being opened up by the direct running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭doc_17

Was there a minutes applause today before the game? Maybe I’m old fashioned but I think the Donegal people can be trusted to show respect for a minute and not need the cover of applause to silence louts who don’t have the manners to stay quiet?

doc_17 wrote:
    Was there a minutes applause today before the game? Maybe I’m old fashioned but I think the Donegal people can be trusted to show respect for a minute and not need the cover of applause to silence louts who don’t have the manners to stay quiet?

I wasn't there, but if there was I assume it was for Noel McDermott and Michael McGrath? Both tragic cases. As they were both extremely into sports and McDermott especially seems to have given so much to St Eunans I think applause was a good idea. I don't think applause over silence is exclusively to drown out loutish behaviour, I think it depends on the circumstances.

Michael McGrath was at school with me and I didn't really know him but sat near him and his brother at Donegal games in recent years.

Both cases were really sad to hear about.

I wasn't there, but if there was I assume it was for Noel McDermott and Michael McGrath? Both tragic cases. As they were both extremely into sports and McDermott especially seems to have given so much to St Eunans I think applause was a good idea. I don't think applause over silence is exclusively to drown out loutish behaviour, I think it depends on the circumstances.

Michael McGrath was at school with me and I didn't really know him but sat near him and his brother at Donegal games in recent years.

I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. But the minutes applause is a soccer thing. It was introduced over there in England to drown out the boos from rival fans. Then it permeated Croke Park because Dublin fans copy what they see on match of the day. And now it’s made it’s way up here. A minutes silence is a respectful and dignified approach to such things. It was the way it’s always been done. And the way it should, in my opinion, continue to be done.

• Advertisement

I have no issue with either approach. I just feel that applause goes beyond respect to something more. But that's probably a topic for a thread of its own.

I have no issue with either approach. I just feel that applause goes beyond respect to something more. But that's probably a topic for a thread of its own.

Maybe. But the intent of applause was never an attempt to go beyond respect. It was to cover up for the fact that people couldn’t respect the minutes silence. And I just feel it’s so much more respectful and dignified. The applause was introduced by the Dubs. Most likely the ones who read the daily mail. I just feel we are so much better than the type of person who voted for Brexit

I’m starting to think Declan doesn’t care much for the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

There were quite a long list of names read out. Probably the most I have ever heard before a match.

Surely in that position the ball is recycled until it gets to Paddy McBrearty, McNiallais, or Ryan McHugh. To be fair though Hugh McFadden was good again.

Thought we looked a bit lost attacking that defence at times in the second half, played well overall outside of being opened up by the direct running.

Do you mean for the last shot? I think they were worried that the ref was going to blow for full time - it had gone over the 4 minutes so they really didnt have the time to get it to McBrearty.

There were quite a long list of names read out. Probably the most I have ever heard before a match.

It was like the death notices.

Do you mean for the last shot? I think they were worried that the ref was going to blow for full time - it had gone over the 4 minutes so they really didnt have the time to get it to McBrearty.

Would the ref really have blown it up with Donegal on the attack on Galway's 45?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

doc_17 wrote: »
    I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments. But the minutes applause is a soccer thing. It was introduced over there in England to drown out the boos from rival fans. Then it permeated Croke Park because Dublin fans copy what they see on match of the day. And now it’s made it’s way up here. A minutes silence is a respectful and dignified approach to such things. It was the way it’s always been done. And the way it should, in my opinion, continue to be done.

No we don’t ‘follow what we see’ on Match of the Day. The minutes applause for someone who went to a game once who’s pet budgie died is all attention seeking mostly from social media pages. The true dedicated fans always respect official minutes silence, yes even the Hill regulars & think the attention seeking applause is a nuisance.

Would the ref really have blown it up with Donegal on the attack on Galway's 45?

If they kept hand passing it around, I dont see why not. I can definitely see why McFadden kicked when he did.

• Advertisement

If they kept hand passing it around, I dont see why not. I can definitely see why McFadden kicked when he did.

I can see why he did as well, but if they were able to go 3 seconds over the 4 minutes what's another 3 getting it to someone who reliably kicks long distances points?

Advertisement