Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭dog_pig

If they kept hand passing it around, I dont see why not. I can definitely see why McFadden kicked when he did.

The point being if as you say they were aware of the seconds counting down then someone else needed to be at the end of it to take the last kick to draw the game. I don't think that's the way it would end up were a similar situation to occur later in the league.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

I’m starting to think Declan doesn’t care much for the league.
    That would be going against what he spoke about when getting the job back last Autum. 
    McFadden was dead right in taking the shot when he did. He was never noted as a point scorer and if he did crack it over it would probably be his second point ever in a Donegal top. Point is, at least he'd the balls to take the shot on. Two many times - particularly in the first half  - did we have players in shooting positions but fail to take the shot on. Ask me did I see any difference between Donegal play yesterday and in any of the games under RG and I'd say very little if at all. The dogs on the street knew which way Galway were going to set up with a blanket between the 13 and 45. But we had no tactic to bypass this. All day we practice drills - running of the shoulder ad nauseam - but when it comes to game time  we just pass the ball laterally. Why could we not run at the opposition like Galway ran at us? Thought SMCB did a half decent job at it, would have expected more from Jigger and CMCG. PMCB is all star material right now, but if anything happens to him where do our scores come from? I still expect us to stay up with favourable results over Monaghan/Kildare/Tyrone but in fairness, yesterday was one that got away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

That would be going against what he spoke about when getting the job back last Autum. 
    McFadden was dead right in taking the shot when he did. He was never noted as a point scorer and if he did crack it over it would probably be his second point ever in a Donegal top. Point is, at least he'd the balls to take the shot on. Two many times - particularly in the first half  - did we have players in shooting positions but fail to take the shot on. Ask me did I see any difference between Donegal play yesterday and in any of the games under RG and I'd say very little if at all. The dogs on the street knew which way Galway were going to set up with a blanket between the 13 and 45. But we had no tactic to bypass this. All day we practice drills - running of the shoulder ad nauseam - but when it comes to game time  we just pass the ball laterally. Why could we not run at the opposition like Galway ran at us? Thought SMCB did a half decent job at it, would have expected more from Jigger and CMCG. PMCB is all star material right now, but if anything happens to him where do our scores come from? I still expect us to stay up with favourable results over Monaghan/Kildare/Tyrone but in fairness, yesterday was one that got away.

Think we kicked the ball long far more and had a presence around the middle.

We struggled to break Galway down when they brought bodies back but had plenty up.

It’s clearly a case of - if we stay up - Great. If not - meh. Weve (rightly imo) decided to rest the older heads which is in some respects sacrificing th lv l of league performance.

Problem with this though is that we have got to hit championship in really good form.

Tbh, I’m disappointed with the way we managed the final stages of the past 2 games. But generally speaking I think we’re in a good enough place. Missing Gaoth Dobhair boys too and plenty of more experienced lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

McFadden was dead right in taking the shot when he did. He was never noted as a point scorer and if he did crack it over it would probably be his second point ever in a Donegal top. Point is, at least he'd the balls to take the shot on. Two many times - particularly in the first half - did we have players in shooting positions but fail to take the shot on. Ask me did I see any difference between Donegal play yesterday and in any of the games under RG and I'd say very little if at all. The dogs on the street knew which way Galway were going to set up with a blanket between the 13 and 45. But we had no tactic to bypass this. All day we practice drills - running of the shoulder ad nauseam - but when it comes to game time we just pass the ball laterally. Why could we not run at the opposition like Galway ran at us? Thought SMCB did a half decent job at it, would have expected more from Jigger and CMCG. PMCB is all star material right now, but if anything happens to him where do our scores come from? I still expect us to stay up with favourable results over Monaghan/Kildare/Tyrone but in fairness, yesterday was one that got away.

In fairness Bonner was hardly going to say he wasn`t that pushed about the league.
    We probably put too much emphasis on it last year and were very flat come the championship. Bonner knows will be judged on the championship and looks to be more interested in giving regulars a rest and looking to give young lads a run and build a squad.
    Agree that yesterday we could have had a few lads maybe standing off and taking a few pots, or running direct at that Galway defense, but unlike under RG, Bonner has them looking to kick-pass inside to the corners. Something come the championship and dry faster pitches should stand to us. Especially against Ulster teams using a sweeper.
    Some lovely kick passes inside yesterday from MacNiallais especially and Ryan McHugh.
    I thought we did ok yesterday around the middle as well which was a pleasant change from last year.
    One that we let slip alright, but then if we are going to handicap ourselves before a ball is kicked by putting games in O`Donnell Park, it`s difficult to be critical of players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    #letterkennyout

We can console ourselves with the thought that the money raised by Eunan's yesterday will help pay Maxi's expenses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I watched the game today after listening to some of it yesterday.

A mate who was at the game texted 'Absolute pish' and I see someone above mentioning that it looked like it was under he who shall not be named.

Have to say, from what I saw, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with those opinions.

But look, I had written off the game as it was in Letterkenny.

Galway seemed to engineer goal chances all too easily. They also looked fitter. We had too many players who looked afraid to shoot, and then we had some poor shots. Especially the last chance from Captain McFadden. He was right to take it on, but it was a poor effort.

If people who were there noticed an increase in kick passing and can vouch for the quality, then that's good. I didn't notice on the TV, it seemed as poor as ever to me. Some of the ball hit to Jigger and Paddy was woeful.

Caolan Ward is not a full back. Was miles off Armstrong for the winning score. McMenamin seemed to do better, thought he was harshly penalised in the 2nd half for a cheap Galway score. Niall O'Donnell was disappointing.

Will be interesting to see how we approach the game on Saturday. Go ultra defensive, draw the boos and lose anyway or have a go and lose anyway.

The big thing too though, the Eunans players don’t even play well there themselves.

Eamon Doherty stank the place out. Coughed up some cheap scores and missed a crucial (and relatively straightforward) chance. O’Donnell struggles and also hit a bad effort.

It’s bizzare the record there is so bad. 2 wins from 11 ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I watched the game today after listening to some of it yesterday.

A mate who was at the game texted 'Absolute pish' and I see someone above mentioning that it looked like it was under he who shall not be named.

Have to say, from what I saw, I wouldn't necessarily disagree with those opinions.

But look, I had written off the game as it was in Letterkenny.

Galway seemed to engineer goal chances all too easily. They also looked fitter. We had too many players who looked afraid to shoot, and then we had some poor shots. Especially the last chance from Captain McFadden. He was right to take it on, but it was a poor effort.

If people who were there noticed an increase in kick passing and can vouch for the quality, then that's good. I didn't notice on the TV, it seemed as poor as ever to me. Some of the ball hit to Jigger and Paddy was woeful.

Caolan Ward is not a full back. Was miles off Armstrong for the winning score. McMenamin seemed to do better, thought he was harshly penalised in the 2nd half for a cheap Galway score. Niall O'Donnell was disappointing.

Will be interesting to see how we approach the game on Saturday. Go ultra defensive, draw the boos and lose anyway or have a go and lose anyway.

I think that there were for sure noticeable differences from last year. As with the Kerry game what was most apparent was leaving players inside, kicking long, and winning kickouts to midfield. League Sunday showed a short clip of some of the kick passing that led to scores. Now Donegal definitely reverted more to the running game as the second half progressed, why that was I'm not sure.

Galway looked more incisive at times but at least some of that can be attributed to how they set up vs. how Donegal did. Setting up to counterattack against a team that is willing to leave players inside can and often does look like that. Some of the defending was pretty poor regardless though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭doc_17

Just about to head into the game. We’ll struggle to limit them to a 10 point win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Damp and wet here. On a positive note, I think we are wearing green with a gold hoop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭logie110

Still have problems with our own kick outs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

Joe McQuillan allowing Dublin away with murder again tonight. Why any county will agree to play with this referee baffles me, he is worth 5+ points to Dublin and will save them from at least one red card whilst unfairly punishing all oppostion they play. Tonight is only the leauge but he has been at this for years, his blatant bias in favour of Dublin in a disgrace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Doltanian wrote: »
    Joe McQuillan allowing Dublin away with murder again tonight. Why any county will agree to play with this referee baffles me, he is worth 5+ points to Dublin and will save them from at least one red card whilst unfairly punishing all oppostion they play. Tonight is only the leauge but he has been at this for years, his blatant bias in favour of Dublin in a disgrace.

As a Donegal man, I have not found him too bad yet, that last point though for Dublin, I thought was a free out as the Dub put the foot in as the Donegal player went down for it in the build up to that point....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Jeasus sit down and relax, Most Dubs dont like to see him coming either. I think he got 3 50/50 calls wrong as I see it.

But to be fair to him and other referees and I criticise a few of them Gaelic football has become very hard to referee. The gamesmanship is frightening. He gets very few technical decisions wrong and most other decisions we can all appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You don't see me breathing a sigh of relief when McQuillan is reffing us, he misses lots and then makes stupid little fussy calls for stuff that only he saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Cracking contest.McBrearty is really turning it on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

The Incident I was referring to earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Doltanian wrote:

Small deserved red too. Sneaky sly one on McHugh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Liking Donegal's performance tonight, should have been taking this approach instead of wasting their time with Gallagher

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Dublin fielded a very strong team tonight, and they only won by 5 points. Had the shot from Jamie Brennan gone in, it would’ve made things extremely interesting. I suspect that Donegal aren’t as far away from the top teams as many people think.

The opening games of the league have showed promise but I think Bonner has been holding back - he has the championship in mind. Donegal aren’t playing their cards too early and that’s excellent to see.

I think the team has a very good chance of winning the Ulster championship this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

I'd pay serious €€€€€ for McBrearty.

Serious chance for an Ulster this going on that second half performance. Didnt think you had it in you tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Slattsy wrote: »
    I'd pay serious €€€€€ for McBrearty.

Serious chance for an Ulster this going on that second half performance. Didnt think you had it in you tbh.

He was brilliant last week v Galway. If Doengal can get McNiallais & Murphy in form in that forward line, they will be a force to be reckoned with. While I dont think they will win an AI, they should be capable of seriously challenging for Ulster. Ciaran Thompson was very impressive last year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Donegal v Dublin Highlights
    https://streamable.com/2hcyp

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Did the Donegal player not lead with a high arm on McAuley? I will clean my glasses and check again. The worst decision of the night was the one free against McFadden, rock missed with his first kick from it.

I thought with 10 minutes left Donegal would go on and win. They played some great football all through. The more direct style suits the players I think but at least they seem to be well able to mix it up a bit more. Agree if Donegal cam get Murphy, McNillis and McBrearty playing well on the same day they will take some stopping and I think Bonnar will keep them where they can do more damage unlike previous managers who had them 70-80 yards away from goal

Towards the end however I felt one or two Donegal players lost their focus a little and became niggley. They simply cant afford to do that especially come championship time. There was no excuse for it either

The player who impresses me most is Ryan McHugh. If there was a transfer market he would top my list. He could well be the one to make the difference if he is not played too deep. He has it all and is the best player I think since a young Tomás O'Sé or Peter Canavan

Argha there’s nothing in that. It’s a contact sport. Leo well able for the rough and ready.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

LeoB wrote: »
    Did the Donegal player not lead with a high arm on McAuley? I will clean my glasses and check again. The worst decision of the night was the one free against McFadden, rock missed with his first kick from it.

I thought with 10 minutes left Donegal would go on and win. They played some great football all through. The more direct style suits the players I think but at least they seem to be well able to mix it up a bit more. Agree if Donegal cam get Murphy, McNillis and McBrearty playing well on the same day they will take some stopping and I think Bonnar will keep them where they can do more damage unlike previous managers who had them 70-80 yards away from goal

Towards the end however I felt one or two Donegal players lost their focus a little and became niggley. They simply cant afford to do that especially come championship time. There was no excuse for it either

The player who impresses me most is Ryan McHugh. If there was a transfer market he would top my list. He could well be the one to make the difference if he is not played too deep. He has it all and is the best player I think since a young Tomás O'Sé or Peter Canavan

Agree, re Ryan McHugh, thought he was immense in that second half, I thought they were gonna give him MOM as the cameras went on him when they were about to announce it, obviously shows the cameramen know their stuff:D

For any of you interested, there’s a decent gaa podcast called “The Throw-In”. It usually involves Tomás ó Sé, Joe Brolly and a few other pundits. It gives a good account of the league action and Donegal usually features quite predominately in it!

For any of you interested, there’s a decent gaa podcast called “The Throw-In”. It usually involves Tomás ó Sé, Joe Brolly and a few other pundits. It gives a good account of the league action and Donegal usually features quite predominately in it!

You lost me at Joe Brolly.

You lost me at Joe Brolly.

Hahahah he’s certainly a character that divides opinion!

• Advertisement

Hahahah he’s certainly a character that divides opinion!

Or as we call him, a bollox!

Advertisement