Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Loved seeing Donegal play in green tonight, a real throwback, and IMHO their proper colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Loved seeing Donegal play in green tonight, a real throwback, and IMHO their proper colours.

Ulster final of 92....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Or as we call him, a bollox!

That's no way to talk about Mr. Umbrella.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭doc_17

It’s a bit annoying that we keep playing Dublin in Croke Park. Whatever about the championship, the league too it would seem. That’s 3 out the past 4 years we were away to Dublin in the league. And correct me please if this is incorrect, isn’t the league a 2 year foced round of games? So if we stay up we’re away to them again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

You lost me at Joe Brolly.

Agreed. Awful man. Good podcast https://m.soundcloud.com/sportsjoe-gaa-hour. Stevie a bit of a spoofer and yer man Conan annoying but Woolly and Cain Ward when on very good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Croke Park was cold!

For all the talk of inexperience, only Tony McCleneghan and Stephen McBrearty on the starting 15 are rookies. Mullins is a bit older, so I don't consider him 'inexperienced'.

No idea what's going on with our kickouts. Dublin obviously pushed up to make it difficult for us to go short most of the time, but there was no sense that any kickout was better than 50/50. A tough night for both keepers however, the wind was vicious. Still, the lack of movement was troubling. Same as last year.

Dublin seemed to be able to take a lot of shots under little or no pressure. Easy to be critical of our defence, but to be honest, it's probably as much to do with Dublin's awesome work-rate, pace and movement. We coped fairly well with their attempts to test us with high/long ball. Still conceded 20 points all the same.

2nd half we were obviously much better, when we decided to have a go. I would say Dublin had another gear or two if they needed it, but both teams would like quite different if they met again in the summer so it's hard to read much into it.

I had a bad feeling that Michael would miss that first free. It was obviously better for a right footed kicker, but it was his first act. Rock had the same issue mind you. Second miss was more of an issue. Still, I doubt we will see similar the next day out. He had another miss from play, but that was on his left. For all Paddy's brilliance, his failure to develop any kind of right foot is disappointing. I just hope that is not the last time we will see a full forward line of Paddy and Michael this year. Still, not sure how and when we will get them ball.

I didn't see much of Mullins in the 1st half, but two others who were there felt the game was passing him by. Democrat reported that he had a cold, so hopefully that explains the lack of impact and early substitution. Would be good to see him in action for a full game!

MacNiallais showed last night why I think he is a luxury player. Workrate and intensity are way off the level required to play half forward/midfield. One lovely pass in the 1st half and that was that. It would be nice to think we can carry him but I don't see how.

Ryan McHugh was up and down. His early season form is worrying, so hopefully it's just temporary.

Eoin Ban made some great runs and the sooner we can play him at half back the better.

Hugh McFadden worked hard and handled a lot of ball. Beyond that, I dunno.

Was really impressed with Stephen McBrearty. Good hard direct runs and took his scores well. More to come hopefully.

Jamie Brennan is a great man to get out in front and then turn his man. Unlucky not to rattle the net. With any kind of decent ball, he's a scoring threat.

Disappointing thing for me so far is we have seen little or nothing of the guys that were brought in last year - McGee, Mulligan, Carroll and maybe Langan. Injuries so far enough, but surely these are better placed to have an impact this year than the likes of McCleneghan, McGonagle and O'Donnell. Hopefully they can come into the reckoning for the next few games.

Right so, anything less than a win against Kildare in 2 weeks time is unforgivable!

Honestly, the amount of hype for last night's performance is annoying. Yes, we gave it a good go in the 2nd half, but 1st half was quite poor. Feel like we are being damned with faint praise based on TV clips and some fine scores from our number 13. Fact is we need points if we want to stay in Division 1. We should be able to win against Kildare if we perform as we did in the 2nd half last night. We should have Michael and maybe Neil McGee and Frank as well so that would be a lift.

I don't want to write off getting anything in Omagh or Clones either. By the time Mayo visit, both teams might need to win to stay up. Could be tetchy.

**** knows how both teams will approach the game on Saturday night. Dec will have no love for Tyrone for sure. McKenna Cup seems to mean everything to Mickey.

Hmm, we have played in yellow/green for longer. Only started in green/yellow in 1982 and then changed back in 1992.

Aside from the white numbers it's a cracking jersey though and reckon it will be the first 'away' kit I have ever bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Mc Kenna cup final moved to Armagh !!

Murphy14 wrote:

Ah bless. Will probably be the biggest game held there all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Murphy14 wrote: »

This bloody competition.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭Don2012

Such a nice jersey one for 17th March! 😊

No Trench Cup Final for LYIT. So certain people may be free to play on Saturday night.

Frank McGlynn and Martin McElhinney in contention also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Shocked and saddened to hear of the untimely passing of Cloughaneely stalwart Big Joe Kelly. Joe was a unique individual who epitomised everything that the GAA means to a parish. He was a tough opponent on the field and good company off it. RIP.

Shocked and saddened to hear of the untimely passing of Cloughaneely stalwart Big Joe Kelly. Joe was a unique individual who epitomised everything that the GAA means to a parish. He was a tough opponent on the field and good company off it. RIP.

Jesus, that’s brutal news.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Murphy14 wrote: »

Was looking forward to going to it in Celtic Park but Armagh is a trip too far.

Will it be available to watch online anywhere. I know BBC are streaming it but I presume it will be region blocked for us?

Hopefully Mr Niblock isn't lying to me :pac:

VLM8hJd.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭digiman

curry-muff wrote: »
    Hopefully Mr Niblock isn't lying to me :pac:

VLM8hJd.png

Entertaining game so far and Donegal doing well, lovely point from Murphy. Nice bounce back from last week.

digiman wrote: »
    Entertaining game so far and Donegal doing well, lovely point from Murphy. Nice bounce back from last week.

Happy with that performance, good to have a few of the more seasoned players back today too. Early days but looking promising for the Ulster push this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Very entertaining. Wouldn't read too much into it. Great beating wee Micky and co in a game they really wanted to win. Everyone really stood up from 1-15. Wee bit of I experience at times. McGonagle has confidence issues but I think if he beats that and gets a bit of aggression about him he's a fine addition to the panel. Nathan Mullins isn't county level for me. Patton done well wee bit dodgy under a high ball.

All in all the future is bright. Wouldn't consider us All Ireland contenders but not a country mile away.

Any thoughts from anyone at the game?

Ps. Never listened to two commentators get as much wrong in my life as those two eejits on BBC this evening

. Nathan Mullins isn't county level for me.

Totally agree, just chatting to someone about that now, no urgency there at all, seems slow play up all the time.. Hopefully proves us wrong, come September:D

• Advertisement

Always nice to beat that crowd.

Good that more players got some minutes under their belt.

It’s is still the McKenna cup so not reading into anything else. Hopefully follow this up with a first league win Sunday week.

A note of caution that the last time we won the Mortimor Mouse Cup was under the stewardship of John Joe. However there are some teams you can't beat often enough.Our performances this year have deserved more so hopefully this will kick start our season.
    Congrats to the the Gaoth Dobhair lads who won the Ulster Club U21 title today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭doc_17

Disastrous result today in Monaghan. We have to win out next 3 games now.

Right so.

Good to beat that shower. But I wouldn't be taking much from it, if anything.

Good that it was streamed by the BBC.

Good to see Frank McGlynn back. Not to bothered on McElhinney who has never delivered imho. Frank looked good on the ball.

Niall O'Donnell came good after a few poor games.

Patton looked ok.

McMenamin looks confident on the ball and is big and strong.

I am really interested to see more of Morrisson who could well be the best of the various Eunans defenders in the squad.

MacNiallais stood out of course - possibly the most talented player in either starting 15, but last night was not a night to judge.

I really really want Mullins to do well as he clearly is keen to be involved and we need bodies at midfield. But he looked like a cart horse last night. Hope there is more to come.

Mark McHugh back at sweeper. Don't think that will work when it matters.

Hope Stephen McBrearty isn't going to miss time.

Our tackling is ****e.

After see Jamie Brennan's goal in last year's Ulster U21 Final and McElihinney's lovely dink last night, Deccie's tactics are clear. We will soccer teams to death.

Good for the younger players to get the win. And we finished well even though Tyrone threw on some big guns. Good to see the Ram back in action.

League game in Omagh on 3 March could be quite a battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

Word of warning; last time we won McKenna Cup we all know what happened in Crossmaglen

Its only early doors

Jmcmen wrote: »
    Word of warning; last time we won McKenna Cup we all know what happened in Crossmaglen

Its only early doors

I'll dismantle the bonfire.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I'll dismantle the bonfire.

:D:D:D

Was intending on buying the new away jersey, first top in a while I've been properly eager to buy. My brother said they are kinda tight fitted though. I usually go XL for most of my tops anyway will I be safe enough going with the normal or is it one of those order a size bigger tops :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

curry-muff wrote: »
    Was intending on buying the new away jersey, first top in a while I've been properly eager to buy. My brother said they are kinda tight fitted though. I usually go XL for most of my tops anyway will I be safe enough going with the normal or is it one of those order a size bigger tops :pac:

I got one theday and it's not any different of a fit than normal.

• Advertisement

Only ever had 1 Donegal jersey, bought it in McElhinneys few weeks before AI 92, wore it in 2012 as well, folk could not believe how well it looked, i could not believe, it still fitted:D... didn't wear it in 2014 as was tad too tight:o:o..

Have never bought official jersey over the last years, always, polo Donegal tops etc, i would buy....

Advertisement