Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭lab man

Question for ye lads .. where do the donegal guys working in dublin train do they travel to donegal twice a week, Or train in dublin?? Clare supporter

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

lab man wrote:
    Question for ye lads .. where do the donegal guys working in dublin train do they travel to donegal twice a week, Or train in dublin?? Clare supporter

Say nothing lads. It's Mickey Harte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Good to get a win but sounded like we were fortunate.

Sounds like a relegation play off in Omagh next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Good to win but we really stumbled over the line 3 goals conceded could have been more,a most fortunate goal by Ryan who was outstanding even allowing for the special treatment from the visitors I am great supporter of Micheal Murphy but his free taking is not up to it missed a number today that really should have raised white flags much like the Dublin game, thought Leo looked back to his best when going forward , thought our management made some strange calls today taking off Jamie Brennan while they were too slow in taking Mark Mc Hugh off who had run out of gas and was left for dead on Kildares 3rd goal.
    To finish on more up beat note at least we have plenty to improve on and 2 points in the bag.
    On a side note did anyone else think the ref was over fussy in sending off the Kildare no. 6 for not wearing his gum sheild ?

Say nothing lads. It's Mickey Harte.

Fair enough was just chatting in work ppl saying that players are making that trip twice a week which I think is mad such a long way ....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jmcmen

They are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Good to win but we really stumbled over the line 3 goals conceded could have been more,a most fortunate goal by Ryan who was outstanding even allowing for the special treatment from the visitors I am great supporter of Micheal Murphy but his free taking is not up to it missed a number today that really should have raised white flags much like the Dublin game, thought Leo looked back to his best when going forward , thought our management made some strange calls today taking off Jamie Brennan while they were too slow in taking Mark Mc Hugh off who had run out of gas and was left for dead on Kildares 3rd goal.
    To finish on more up beat note at least we have plenty to improve on and 2 points in the bag.
    On a side note did anyone else think the ref was over fussy in sending off the Kildare no. 6 for not wearing his gum sheild ?

Despite the 2 point margin I thought it was a fairly routine victory if we had've been in first gear we would have won by much more.

It is really disappointing that referees aren't protecting our exciting young players, some of the hits on Ryan, Niall and Jamie were bordering assault, it was Kildare's lack of discipline that lost them the game not the square ball or the soft red.

Plus point was that Kildare are a really fit team and the physicality they showed will prepare us in no small part for the upcoming Ulster campaign. Also good to see some of our players shake off the rust, fair enough Murphy wasn't on point on frees but still scored a couple of beautiful points.

Ryan, Paddy, Odhran and captain fantastic are some of the best players in the country to watch at the minute, we're getting closer to a finished article after the post Jim rebuild than I have seen in recent times. If we can make some improvements on defence we should gradually see longer championship runs and will be back in the 'Top 4' sooner rather than later.

Jmcmen wrote:
    They are

Thanks J ive lost 50 on it fair play for an honest answer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Murphy14 wrote: »

According to the article in the Indo David Gough instructed him to get a mouthguard after issuing the first yellow card.Whilst leaving the pitch he caught a kickout,hence the second yellow.Pretty harsh but I've seen the aftermath of dental traumas.

A colleague of mine was involved in research/studies that led directly to the sensible introduction of compulsory mouthguards in GAA matches.I am not aware of any follow up studies but it will surprise nobody if there's been a reduction in incidence of dental traumas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

seligehgit wrote: »
    [/B]

According to the article in the Indo David Gough instructed him to get a mouthguard after issuing the first yellow card.Whilst leaving the pitch he caught a kickout,hence the second yellow.Pretty harsh but I've seen the aftermath of dental traumas.

A colleague of mine was involved in research/studies that led directly to the sensible introduction of compulsory mouthguards in GAA matches.I am not aware of any follow up studies but it will surprise nobody if there's been a reduction in incidence of dental traumas.
    According to Cian O'Neill what happened was Doyle lost his mouthguard during a clash and Gough ordered him off to get a replacement. He was making his way to the sideline to get it replaced when the keeper took a kickout aimed in the direction of Doyle. Doyle caught it and was promptly booked. I think the point from O'Neill is a fair one - if the referee orders a player off to get something sorted he should hold up play until the player is off the pitch. Allowing play to continue while the player is making his way off and then booking him seems more like a failure in refereeing imho - I know if it happened to one of ours we would be equally annoyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    According to Cian O'Neill what happened was Doyle lost his mouthguard during a clash and Gough ordered him off to get a replacement. He was making his way to the sideline to get it replaced when the keeper took a kickout aimed in the direction of Doyle. Doyle caught it and was promptly booked. I think the point from O'Neill is a fair one - if the referee orders a player off to get something sorted he should hold up play until the player is off the pitch. Allowing play to continue while the player is making his way off and then booking him seems more like a failure in refereeing imho - I know if it happened to one of ours we would be equally annoyed.

There seems to be some confusion as to what happened so Gough`s report should be interesting.
    From some the first yellow was either for a foul on McHugh or for not having a mouthgaurd. Whereas the second was for catching that ball or for giving Gough cheek.
    If O`Neill`s version is correct, then the second yellow should never have been issued.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

lab man wrote: »
    Fair enough was just chatting in work ppl saying that players are making that trip twice a week which I think is mad such a long way ....
    In the McGuinness days he used to travel to Dublin once a week to train them and they travelled once a week to Donegal. Possibly that changed after he went to Celtic.

I think most counties have the Dublin lads train together in Dublin at least once a week.

100%

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

According to Colm O Rourke the ref is under no obligation to stop the game for a player to get his gumshield-can you imagine the field day the Tyrone boys would have if you had to stop the game every time someone "lost" his gumshield? Gough gave the player a warning and he still played on without it, so like all rules if you want them adhered to then you have to punish people for breaking them. This is Ireland

Missed that with Colm O Rourke.

This is Ireland and we know how good Irish people are at complying with rules.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

lab man wrote: »

The Dublin based players train in Dublin during the week. The weekend session is in Donegal. I believe a coach that worked with McGuiness and Bonner takes the training in Dublin. Can't remember who it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Opposite to Killarney - playing with an extra man for 55mins, conceding three goals, lucky goal to win it.

It takes luck sometimes. We played well first three games, got SFA out of them. Played sh*the yesterday and got two points.

Highlight was 1-09 from play in the 2nd half. Impressive in any man's language.

However, Kildare opened us up far too easy, pretty sure their square ball was not a square ball. They needed goals, chased them, got them. Michael possibly should have been subbed. Clearly not match fit and dropped a lot of ball (everyone dropped a lot of ball in fairness).

Ballyshannon is fierce windy and you're never going to get a good 70 minutes. You'll only get a good half when you're playing with the wind.

Hugh continues to improve, Leo supreme but not convinced Mark McH should be guaranteed his start. Niall O'Donnell an exciting talent too.

Main thing is the win, and the game was managed well in the closing minutes. Tyrone beatable, should the match go ahead. But they'll probably do what they do, and as we saw when Kildare went d*****ve yesterday we struggled.

Believe we'll avoid relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭doc_17

Referee has no obligation to stop play. It’s the Kildare player’s responsibility to wear a gumshield. And it’s his problem if he is orders off to get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

doc_17 wrote: »
    Referee has no obligation to stop play. It’s the Kildare player’s responsibility to wear a gumshield. And it’s his problem if he is orders off to get one.

Very true, but it is just another one of those rules that referees are instructed to follow to the letter during the league, but as we have seen countless times, will be patrolled differently come the championship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

gooner99 wrote: »
    The Dublin based players train in Dublin during the week. The weekend session is in Donegal. I believe a coach that worked with McGuiness and Bonner takes the training in Dublin. Can't remember who it is.
    They were definitely travelling up to Donegal midweek under McGuinness in 2014, but I don't know what the arrangement is now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Peter Boyle has left the panel.

Reads like he’s thrown the toys out of the pram having not played last week in his home ground.

How very immature.

Worrying as now down to 1 keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Peter Boyle has left the panel.

Reads like he’s thrown the toys out of the pram having not played last week in his home ground.

How very immature.

Worrying as now down to 1 keeper.

Disappointing really. Massive over reaction.

Patton was named to start against Tyrone on Saturday. I would hazard a guess it's part to do with not starting last week and probably thinks he should be given the chance after the game in Ballyshannon. Although Patton wasn't to blame for his goals from what I could see.

Surely he can understand Bonners decision to start Patton against Tyrone having only played them a few weeks ago and doing well.

He is saying he wants to concentrate on club football with A/R which is fair enough but it's the timing and manner of the whole thing. Disappointing, more experienced netminder than what's out there having played 21s with Jim too.Wish him all the best

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

charlie14 wrote: »
    doc_17 wrote: »

Very true, but it is just another one of those rules that referees are instructed to follow to the letter during the league, but as we have seen countless times, will be patrolled differently come the championship.

And why not follow to the letter of the law all the time? In fairness there's no ambiguity around it. No gumshield, no game! Hockey and rugby have a 'no gumshield, no game rule'.
    Some bedtime reading - www.clare.gaa.ie/coaching/coaching-games-dev/coaching-news/mouthguardsandthegaa

Disappointing really. Massive over reaction.

Patton was named to start against Tyrone on Saturday. I would hazard a guess it's part to do with not starting last week and probably thinks he should be given the chance after the game in Ballyshannon. Although Patton wasn't to blame for his goals from what I could see.

Surely he can understand Bonners decision to start Patton against Tyrone having only played them a few weeks ago and doing well.

He is saying he wants to concentrate on club football with A/R which is fair enough but it's the timing and manner of the whole thing. Disappointing, more experienced netminder than what's out there having played 21s with Jim too.Wish him all the best

He left Sunday night according to what I’m hearing.

Massive overreaction by the sound of it. And actually quite selfish - Leaves us very short now.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

He left Sunday night according to what I’m hearing.

Massive overreaction by the sound of it. And actually quite selfish - Leaves us very short now.

I wouldn't blame the lad. In and out of panel since 2011 and has had 2 starts. Kept a clean sheet against Dublin and dropped for next match. It seems he was happy enough to be a number 2 but looking likely he was going to be third choice at best.

Murt15 wrote: »
    I wouldn't blame the lad. In and out of panel since 2011 and has had 2 starts. Kept a clean sheet against Dublin and dropped for next match. It seems he was happy enough to be a number 2 but looking likely he was going to be third choice at best.

He’s not established as number 1 though. I’d be more concerned if Bonner didn’t rotate his keepers during the league given the stage they’re at.

Anyway, I think it’s a rash decision but it’s done now. Hopefully Patton comes through. Anyone know what the story is with Danny Rogers? You’d have thought he’d have been involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

He’s not established as number 1 though. I’d be more concerned if Bonner didn’t rotate his keepers during the league given the stage they’re at.

Exactly Nidge. It makes sense, so many counties are very bad at it and I have seen some pay the price later in the year. It was good to see from Bonner. Imagine being Cluxtons number 2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Anyway, I think it’s a rash decision but it’s done now. Hopefully Patton comes through. Anyone know what the story is with Danny Rogers? You’d have thought he’d have been involved.

Rodgers declined an offer to join the panel at the start of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

That's a pity, could've been a good'n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Surprised given he was Dec's go to guy for the past few years.

Pity about Boyle, would prefer just about anyone over MAMG. He has been around a while and I would have liked to have seen more of him. Seems like a like speculation/coincidence on the timing unless someone has heard something concrete. Good luck to him.

Have heard good things about Patton. Hope they are true.

Advertisement