Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Michael Carroll has left the panel. Pity, fine porespect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

That is odd. Was a star on the U21 team last year. Felt there was much more to come for the Seniors with the right manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    That is odd. Was a star on the U21 team last year. Felt there was much more to come for the Seniors with the right manager.

It is quite likely that he will be back for the championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I just hope these lads leaving the panel isn`t some trouble in the camp.

charlie14 wrote: »
    I just hope these lads leaving the panel isn`t some trouble in the camp.

Highly doubt it.

Away to America I’d say.

• Advertisement

Highly doubt it.

Away to America I’d say.

I hope there isn`t but I am just a bit worried with two lads that would be useful to have around come championship, (and especially the super 8 should we be fortunate enough) going so soon together.

charlie14 wrote: »
    I hope there isn`t but I am just a bit worried with two lads that would be useful to have around come championship, (and especially the super 8 should we be fortunate enough) going so soon together.

The Peter Boyle and Michael Carroll situations are very different. To those who are worried, Declan appears to be handling the situations well and it is a tight group of players.
    If only he would pick up the phone to Michael Boyle.

The Peter Boyle and Michael Carroll situations are very different. To those who are worried, Declan appears to be handling the situations well and it is a tight group of players.
    If only he would pick up the phone to Michael Boyle.

Cheers. Good to know.
    Agree on Michael Boyle. We are threadbare in the keeper department.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Another old boy returning, Anthony Thompson is back in the fold, delighted to see it.

Ceist_Beag wrote:
    Another old boy returning, Anthony Thompson is back in the fold, delighted to see it.

I hope he has enough left. Was a tireless runner. But just the sort of toughness we need with a few lightweights about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I hope he has enough left. Was a tireless runner. But just the sort of toughness we need with a few lightweights about.

Not sure how to feel about this. You have to admire his commitment and he's not that old at 31/32 but I'd prefer to see guys like McMenamin and O'Baoill getting game time. Once McGee, McGrath and McGlynn are back we'll have plenty of experience in defence.

I'm not that concerned about players leaving the panel, even going back to McGuinness's time there were always guys dropping out. Leo is the only in recent time where management were obviously to blame.

So there's a vital league game against our biggest rivals on TV this weekend

Obviously Donal Reid writes a column about climate change denial in the democrat:pac:

To be fair, he wrote his preview last week!

So there's a vital league game against our biggest rivals on TV this weekend

Obviously Donal Reid writes a column about climate change denial in the democrat:pac:

So will climate change or the rosary win out tonight?

I suppose he will head to the game on the way back from the march. Mickey might even give him a lift.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭doc_17

Thompson has opted out of two of the last 3 years. His time has passed.

Awful performance tonight. Just awful. We can’t tackle.

When the manager says relegation wouldn’t be a disaster then that says it all.

doc_17 wrote:
    Awful performance tonight. Just awful. We can’t tackle.

This. ****ing embarrassing. Was there a clean tackle made all game?

Lookit, we beat them handy in the league last year. It meant **** all. But a lot of work to be done before the summer.

doc_17 wrote:
    Thompson has opted out of two of the last 3 years. His time has passed.

Right now, my half back line is R McHugh, Frank, Eoin Ban. Even the 2012 Thompson might not not make it. Of course, if Ryan has a free role it might work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭doc_17

I’m actually devoid of hope after that. I’d be fearful that Cavan could take us the way we’re going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Its gonna be a long summer I think, that was painful viewing:o

• Advertisement

Urgh.

Right now, my half back line is R McHugh, Frank, Eoin Ban. Even the 2012 Thompson might not not make it. Of course, if Ryan has a free role it might work.

I'd be surprised if frank is starting come the summer. Any word if Gillespie is ever gong to be fit?

Is Reilly injured or just not getting a game? It's guys like him who are in their mid 20''s that really should be the backbone of our team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

raiders11 wrote: »
    Its gonna be a long summer I think, that was painful viewing:o
    Or maybe a very short one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

So whats going to be line in this weeks collum in the Donegal News?... we didn't perform, back to the training field to work hard this week etc etc..

Declan deserves time and space to develop his new Donegal team - and there's much to be done.. so stay the hell away from the local papers. Give that bloddy gig up, please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agreed. Declan is manager of the county, chairman of his local GAA club and still writing for the papers? Come on Declan, we all know it's not possible to commit fully when you're trying to do too much. It will be the first thing thrown at you if results aren't good so why leave yourself open to that criticism.

Ho hum.

As of today, Donegal are 2nd highest scorers in Division 1. They have also the 2nd highest scores conceded.

We are undoubtedly playing more open football. But, it's not leading to results, at least for the moment.

But I don't know if this is part of a long term plan or just a league tactic and in the summer things might look very different.

I'm pretty sure Paddy McBrearty will come in for much more attention during the summer. He's good, but there has been too much hype for now.

Folks are saying the likes of Neil McGee, Frank and Thompson are yesterday's men, and I don't necessarily disagree but I don't know who is good enough to take their place until they are really shown up. Have any of the younger players really impressed that much? McMenamin looks good at times and maybe McClenaghan, but neither look nailed on to start.

Losing Carroll and then Jason McGee was disappointing. Both showed something at times last year and I was hoping they would develop further this year. They are a year ahead of some players for sure.

Big concerns about our midfield. Hugh tries hard but that's not enough when he doesn't have a good midfielder alongside him. MacNiallais isn't consistent enough. What are the odds we see Murphy back there come the summer?

If we don't see Nathan Mullins this weekend that could be it for him. I can't see him hanging around to be a bit part player.

It's been good to see Murphy inside more. Still don't know how we get him enough decent ball.

Hopefully Paddy McBrearty is fit enough for the summer.

Anyway, Monaghan have been going nicely. Can't really see us winning in Clones which will more or less mean we are relegated.

Not the end of the world but hard to know how we will fare in the summer.

Anyway, Monaghan have been going nicely. Can't really see us winning in Clones which will more or less mean we are relegated.

Like us last year, I think the fixtures have fallen kindly for monaghan. They've done well take advantage while introducing some new players but I don't think their form is anything great.

Had Paddy been fit then I'd have fancied us as it's pretty unlikely that they'll be relegated. Hopefully Stephen McBrearty and Brennan can show a bit up front as they've played well in patches.

Shít or bust tomorrow.

Hoping that in some way Monaghan are winding down re:league and ramping up training so won’t overly exciteable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Bit off topic and not about the game tomorrow.

A topic that came up earlier today in conversation was, "I wonder what club in Donegal has the most GAA club neighbours"...
    Personally, thought it would have been N.Conaill but on research since, doesn't look like it.
    Not many would get it right on first guess..

• Advertisement

I would not be overly bothered with the league and maintaining Div1 status if I thought were were developing a system with new additions to the team for the future, but getting to the stage I`m not sure we are. We are leaking like a sieve at the back and while most league results have been respectable, without Patrick McBrearty we would have been beaten out the gate in all of them.
    It is becoming obvious imo that come championship we are going to need the old hands of McGee, McGlynn, McGrath and possibly Thompson back so I cannot see us playing the style of football we are playing at the minute surviving for the championship.
    The really noticeable thing from this league is that while we are attempting to play the type of football traditionally played by Galway, they are now playing the football we had so much success with and we are at opposite ends of the Div1 table.
    Maybe time for a rethink ?

Advertisement