Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Costly misses. Especially McBreartys taking the worst option. Rarely passes to someone in a better position than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

What a balls. I am but a mere hurler on the ditch, however, the vibes aren't good with the team and don't appear to have been for a while. The departures in particular, no matter how magnanimous they were, just don't sit right. Declan needs to do a Davy Fitz and get the Mi Wadi orange and biscuits out... a clear the air meeting with his team is needed asap before our Summer goes bang before it even begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

There are obvious problems but what I wasn't able to get my head around (until now) is why can't we hold onto a lead? Why can't we do what Mayo did in the last 10 minutes? Or do what Monahan did to Dublin today? Why are we so soft?

It's that, since 2016, we've been kidding ourselves by thinking we're a Division 1 team. We only ever performed against the teams that got eventually relegated. But this year we were found out. Kerry are sh*the, which puts that match into perspective. Monaghan and Tyrone hammered us. Dublin beat us with ease and in 1st gear.

We're a Division 2 team. Today's result was thoroughly deserved and wasn't the sole reason we're in Division 2 next year. It's a reality check. Hopefully we can learn, and come back up, and somehow do what Monaghan are able (but shouldn't be able) to do.

County board is also pure pish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭doc_17

Relax men. Declan said relegation wouldn’t be a disaster. Declan forced out the managers of a better minor team than he had dispite espousing the benefits of having the same team all the way up. Declan also says Cavan are now favourites.

• Advertisement

Goooooooo Declan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Be grand lads. Tis all smoke & mirrors. League - shmeague.
    Season starts now.

The timing of a sub to replace a forward with a defender/sweeper (J. Brennan - M. McHugh) was a bit premature. From memory there was at least 15 minutes left and we were 0.11 to 0.08 up and playing fairly well, we appeared to sit back and defend or lead a bit after that.

I thought J Brennan was very good today. The S&C is working - He's stronger and almost everything kicked into him and at him today stuck. Has a lightning quick turn too.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

For all our footballing talent we severely lack managerial talent the substitutions and the timing of them were baffling Brennan & Thompson going well , Why was O' Reilly not put on when we needed pace and direct runners . Worrying times ahead

Cautious manager. He got what he deserved

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    Cautious manager. He got what he deserved

Deja vu - Ulster Finals of 15, and 16 spring to mind

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

The folly of playing our home games outside of Mac Cumhaill Park came home to roost yesterday particularly in a season where we only had 3 home games

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Murphy14 wrote: »
    The folly of playing our home games outside of Mac Cumhaill Park came home to roost yesterday particularly in a season where we only had 3 home games

O Donnell Park where we could not beat a decent junior B club side has got to go. Ballyshannon`s record is not too bad, but the elements there it is often a game of two halves.
    All games should be played in Mac Cumhaill Park end of story.

As much as we want to believe O'Donnell park is cursed, it really isn't. It is an away ground and all it has really served to do is preserve our good record at home.

It's actually a fine venue otherwise.

As much as we want to believe O'Donnell park is cursed, it really isn't. It is an away ground and all it has really served to do is preserve our good record at home.

Unless it is cursed. What do I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Murphy14 wrote: »
    The venue has nothing to do with it. Throwing away a 3 point lead against an average (at best) Mayo team is inexcusable. Not pushing up on Mayo's kickout was ridiculous. The platform for the initial comeback was based on attacking their kickouts. why stop it in the second half? That only provided Mayo with a platform to attack. Thought it a strange move to sub Brennan for McHugh. I thought Niall O'D was doing ok as well. Bar the superb point from OMacN I didn't see much else he did. Not too much comment on Murphy starting in MF despite the lambasting Gallagher got for playing him there last year. It just shows that in midfield we still struggle badly. Div 2 FFS!!!

On another note, poor enough form keeping Mullins on the sideline waiting to join the game for nearly a full 5 mins. The warm up done, the paperwork done all he needed was the final nod to join the game. That sort of man management is how we lose players. I wouldn't be surprised to see the fella leave the panel after that.

On another note, poor enough form keeping Mullins on the sideline waiting to join the game for nearly a full 5 mins. The warm up done, the paperwork done all he needed was the final nod to join the game. That sort of man management is how we lose players. I wouldn't be surprised to see the fella leave the panel after that.

Agreed. What has gone wrong? There could well be more departures at this rate alright.

Don't agree with O'Donnell Park though :D Its some freaking roadshow hauling the Team around the County for 'home games'.

That is the problem with it far as I`m concerned. It may be a fine venue, but it feels like an away ground and we seem to play as if it is with the corresponding results

Stand in O’Donnell park doesn’t cover the whole sideline, the terrace isn’t sloped at a proper angle and behind the goals is brutal to look at and offers no vantage point. All these things contribute to there being no atmosphere and if there’s no atmosphere or feeing of the crowd behind you then you lose some of the key elements of home advantage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Have you ever stood? It's awful. If they develop a terrace, it will be a good job.

• Advertisement

Right, well that was a complete ****ing balls.

When you factor in

Players Mayo were missing
    Strength of team we were able to field
    Playing at our true home venue
    That we led by 3 points and looked comfortable/they looked beaten

There are NO EXCUSES for not winning that game as far as I am concerned. No time for whining about 13 steps or cynical play etc.

Other than Ryan McHugh for Niall O'Donnell, how many more changes would you expect to see for our Championship side?

The fact that he 'risked' Paddy McBrearty and kept him on the pitch for 70 minutes meant that the objective was to win the game. The fact that we failed to do so is black mark against all concerned.

For all the great things he did yesterday and in many other games, Paddy McBrearty's failure to score/pass/run away/kick the ball dead was inexcusable. That was just one moment, there were others, so it's not all on him of course.

Finally some game time for Neil McGee. Am sure he needs it.

I've seen reports suggesting that Eoin Ban and Jamie Brennan were 'unearthed' this year - bull****e - in fairness to Gallagher, they got plenty of game time last year. Eoin Ban has probably been our most consistent/best player throughout the League. Jamie Brennan was very good yesterday aside from one wayward shot. And he's replaced by Mark McHugh? Jebus wept.

Look at goal chances created yesterday - I make it that Mayo had at least 3 decent chances, did we even have one? Worrying at both ends.

Hard to know how the rest of the year plays out. It sure looks like there is a lot of work to do in the next 7 weeks. How that will all happen if April is to be a month for the clubs remains to be seen.

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Have you ever stood? It's awful. If they develop a terrace, it will be a good job.

I make a habit of not standing, when possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

All this talk of sitting or standing brings me back to the replay against Cavan in Ballybofey in 1992. Sitting on a cold wet concrete slab in an uncovered stand while it was lashing rain. Probably the most drenched I'd been leaving a match, but would take a repeat of that result in May

Having calmed down from Sunday, its onwards an upwards. Pressure is now on for Declan. He's stated all along that the Cavan game is his priority, now he simply has to win it. Games every two weeks if they manage to squeeze through that, although it will now be against a division 4 team, followed by a division 3/4 team in order to reach the final. But as they say, no easy games in Ulster

I make a habit of not standing, when possible.

I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

If Donegal fail in a similar fashion to recent years, it will certainly appear that Donegal football has, once again, gone soft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

If Donegal fail in a similar fashion to recent years, it will certainly appear that Donegal football has, once again, gone soft.

Flaccid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Well it looks like Jim will not be back coaching Donegal anytime soon. Hard to turn down a Man Utd academy role.

All the best Jim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

rightyabe wrote: »
    Well it looks like Jim will not be back coaching Donegal anytime soon. Hard to turn down a Man Utd academy role.

All the best Jim
    Nice one😉

I hope that Cavan defensive unit is kept for the championship. Absolutely clueless.

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote:
    I hope that Cavan defensive unit is kept for the championship. Absolutely clueless.

Our own is not much better.

Advertisement