Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Our own is not much better.

Admittedly not great, but some of that defending from Cavan was junior c club level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

rightyabe wrote: »
    Well it looks like Jim will not be back coaching Donegal anytime soon. Hard to turn down a Man Utd academy role.

All the best Jim

What date is today? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Is there any update on Ciaran Gillespie? Jebus he has had a shocking run of luck, had all the makings of being our new Full Back - I do hope things are on the turn for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Is there any update on Ciaran Gillespie? Jebus he has had a shocking run of luck, had all the makings of being our new Full Back - I do hope things are on the turn for him.

Miles away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Miles away.

He's training with the squad but it is still non weight bearing. He is progressing as expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭doc_17

So how many county players that were flogged yesterday lined out for their clubs today? It’s a fuc**** joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

doc_17 wrote: »
    So how many county players that were flogged yesterday lined out for their clubs today? It’s a fuc**** joke.

What flogging?

Otherwise know as training. It must be awful given that they are repeatedly all injured for the next two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Would you rather they are all made play for their clubs the next day doc? What do you think of the initiative in Monaghan? I think something like that might be worth introducing although I think the points difference in Monaghan is on the high side. I think 3 for a win with county players and 2 for a win without would be fairer.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Would you rather they are all made play for their clubs the next day doc? What do you think of the initiative in Monaghan? I think something like that might be worth introducing although I think the points difference in Monaghan is on the high side. I think 3 for a win with county players and 2 for a win without would be fairer.

I’d rather they played for their clubs when they have 6/5/4 weeks until their next Donegal game. I would rather they played for their clubs the next day after training yes.

The reason we have an affinity with the county team is that they are our players and they are our clubmen. That affinity is deteriorating I believe and will only get worse as they are no longer interested or allowed to play for their clubs. Added to that is the increased from financial burden being placed on clubs and administrators to keep the whole show on the road for less success.

I’m not saying they should be playing for clubs once May and the championship start but they are being withdrawn or are withdrawing themselves against regulation. Fake injuries etc.

People might say that’s the way it’s going but if that’s the way it’s going then prepare for pay to play. And complete separation from clubs. We are allowing it to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

A close to full strength team played Mayo in a challenge match behind closed doors this evening.

If only we had been in Division One this year.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    A close to full strength team played Mayo in a challenge match behind closed doors this evening.

If only we had been in Division One this year.

It’s a miracle!!!! They were all fit again? F**k it. It’s a mess. A total mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I’d rather they played for their clubs when they have 6/5/4 weeks until their next Donegal game. I would rather they played for their clubs the next day after training yes.

The reason we have an affinity with the county team is that they are our players and they are our clubmen. That affinity is deteriorating I believe and will only get worse as they are no longer interested or allowed to play for their clubs. Added to that is the increased from financial burden being placed on clubs and administrators to keep the whole show on the road for less success.

I’m not saying they should be playing for clubs once May and the championship start but they are being withdrawn or are withdrawing themselves against regulation. Fake injuries etc.

People might say that’s the way it’s going but if that’s the way it’s going then prepare for pay to play. And complete separation from clubs. We are allowing it to happen.
    I hear what you're saying doc but as you have already said, this is happening. I would rather we just be honest about it and that is why I think the Monaghan initiative has to be applauded - at least they are up front and open about the fact clubs are deprived of their county players and are trying to put in place a structure that is fair to both county and non county players.
    You might argue that this is the first step to complete separation from clubs but does anyone really see it going back to a situation where county players are fully available to their clubs?

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    I hear what you're saying doc but as you have already said, this is happening. I would rather we just be honest about it and that is why I think the Monaghan initiative has to be applauded - at least they are up front and open about the fact clubs are deprived of their county players and are trying to put in place a structure that is fair to both county and non county players.
    You might argue that this is the first step to complete separation from clubs but does anyone really see it going back to a situation where county players are fully available to their clubs?

Of course not. Let them be exclusively county players from when the championship starts. But we’re talking 5, 4 and 3 full weeks before the start of the championship and they aren’t playing. And the prevailing attitude is that this is acceptable. I can never accept that. And that same attitude is what will lead to play for pay. A little bit more of everything every year.

Donegal News pulled the match report not long after they tweeted it...

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭Green Peter

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Donegal News pulled the match report not long after they tweeted it...

How'd the match go?

How'd the match go?

Nobody knows. Anymore.

Seems that both teams would have needed Provincial and Central Council approval to play during 'Club Month'.

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Nobody knows. Anymore.

Seems that both teams would have needed Provincial and Central Council approval to play during 'Club Month'.

If a tree falls in the woods and nobody is around....

Post #5417 on the Mayo thread,I won't ruin the suspense.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

You see Brollys story this week? Security on training in Belfasdoesnt look great

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

harpsman wrote: »
    You see Brollys story this week? Security on training in Belfasdoesnt look great

He’s got a point - I very much doubt that Declan Bonner’s tactics are groundbreaking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

He’s got a point - I very much doubt that Declan Bonner’s tactics are groundbreaking.

Sigh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

harpsman wrote: »

The GAA hour made mention of it this week.

Why on earth you'd go to that location if security was paramount I can't credit.

Well then, here we are. Can't lie, I'm no longer that concerned about Cavan. Why? They are missing players and I wasn't impressed with what I saw in the the Division 2 Final. In saying that, Donegal didn't look too impressive in the same match back in 2014. Even though they scored a heap of goals, their most natural forward looked like Kildare cast off Seanie. So, we have the upper hand there. It will come down to how our defence and midfield do - serious concerns in both respects. I would expect Cavan to come to Ballybofey with a very defensive approach, and hope that it will lead to Donegal playing aimless football around the 45 and making bad decisions - not a bad tactic at all. If they come to play an open game of football, well, we have the talent to beat them.

In saying that, any repeat of the flat performance v Antrim last year and we will surely lose.

Such a lot of nonsense around the team at the moment. Too many leaks making us look silly. Didn't even happen under Rory.

Michael Murphy is now 28. Time is running out - I don't expect to win Ulster this year, but we need to make the final at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Given that RTE have decided to abandon the provincial football championships altogether, will a certain sports shop's Facebook page be showing the game on Sunday? Otherwise I'll have to stick to Highland I suppose

Given that RTE have decided to abandon the provincial football championships altogether, will a certain sports shop's Facebook page be showing the game on Sunday? Otherwise I'll have to stick to Highland I suppose

Could you go? Or are you living abroad? Note: abroad is south of Galway Dublin line. Although we’d be more like the Mexicans in this instance

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Despite our league form, I'm not that worried about Sunday. Maybe it's the fact we're at home but we've still got a pretty good team. We have some gaping holes such as midfield and centre half back and the jury is still out on our goalie but if Murphy, McBrearty, McGrath and McHugh are playing well then it'll take a good team to beat us.

With McLoone and McNiallais back, Eoghan Ban and Brennan developing well, we should be better than last year. Is Declan any better than Rory though? I'm not so sure.

The minimum is expect this year is an ulster final, I'd be disappointed if we're not in the super eights

Could you go? Or are you living abroad? Note: abroad is south of Galway Dublin line. Although we’d be more like the Mexicans in this instance

Its a 7,000 mile round trip unfortunately, otherwise I'd be there with bells on. I rarely missed a first round match when I was living at home. I was even in the Athletic Grounds getting sunburnt in 1988 at the same time Ireland were beating England in Stuttgart

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,289 ✭✭✭tanko

There is deferred coverage of the whole game on BBC2 on Sunday evening at 7.

tanko wrote: »
    There is deferred coverage of the whole game on BBC2 on Sunday evening at 7.

Thanks, they're showing that on GAAGO, so at the very least, I can watch it there

• Advertisement

I dunno. I suspect not.

Advertisement