Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Rory on The Sunday Game talking about the value of the big man in the square. He's actually trolling us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Lest we forget his U21 finals too. Lost 4 in a row all told.

And it will 0/5 after we beat Down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

raiders11 wrote: »
    Rory, some man :)

Maxi was clearly giving the lads the wrong instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Maxi was clearly giving the lads the wrong instructions.

He was moving so fast they couldn't hear him clearly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Rory on The Sunday Game talking about the value of the big man in the square. He's actually trolling us.

He even said in his interview after the game on BBC, "we thought Monaghan were suspect to the high ball in"

Kept that master plan til injury time....lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

charlie14 wrote: »
    Keeper made a hames of it for the Carraroe goal and the last few kick outs from him were poor.

Begs the question why are non Irish speaking clubs/communities in the competition??? It makes a mockery of it a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Begs the question why are non Irish speaking clubs/communities in the competition??? It makes a mockery of it a bit

And a ref from the Gaeltacht stronghold of Convoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

raiders11 wrote: »
    And a ref from the Gaeltacht stronghold of Convoy :)

Ah stop he hasn't a clue at the best of times. He's a disaster. He wouldn't know how to say Hello as Gaelige.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Was it just me or did anyone else think the grass was cut very short in Healy Park yesterday ?

Got me to wondering if Tyrone were enacting some belated revenge on Rory Beggan for having practiced his free taking there the week before the 1st round game when he turned up with the Monaghan U17s.
    When we did it to Tyrone in Balybofey under Jim, it certainly messed up Morgan`s day and Beggan had no joy yesterday either after missing nothing there a few weeks earlier v Tyrone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

be some craic on here when Rory beats us in Final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

As long as Donegal don't revert back to aimless lateral handpassing, this Ulster is in the bag. Donegal could absolutely ease away from Down and Fermanagh as long as they play with directness.

That sounds a bit cavalier but it's actually quite a challenge, especially if/when teams get players back.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

I'd be taking neither team for granted. All can have realistic hopes of winning Ulster. With Donegal as favourites obviously.

Should we get over Down, the final would absolutely reek of 2013. Donegal, relegated; Fermanagh, (Mon in '13) promoted from Div 3.

We'll give team chances. Roughly 30 per match. So I'm taking nothing for granted.

Seems as long as they are within the designated area, even though particular areas where teams are from the language may have died out or is very weak in numbers, then you are entitled to enter.
    Agree it makes a mockery of it, but sure if you re-drew the boundaries where would all those lads and lassies in Roinn Na Gaeltachta then find the numbers to justify their budget.

So Neil McGee available for Sunday. What a recovery! Langan and Jamie Brennan too. Jason McGee and Niall O'Donnell not called up. Yet.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    So Neil McGee available for Sunday. What a recovery! Langan and Jamie Brennan too. Jason McGee and Niall O'Donnell not called up. Yet.

Great news.
    A full deck to pick from and the other two lads now hopefully available for selection if Bonner chooses to add them to the squad.

Seems a certain barman on here is either getting and repeating very dodgy sources, or thinking of a career switch to comedy.
    With the former I for one will be ignoring him in future.
    If the latter then he needs to work on his material on the evidence of his latest post.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Not sure what awaits us in Clones. Fermanagh's shock win may well have helped Down's buildup because the natural line of debate is how Rory is meant to meet his former employers in the Ulster Final. Very little talk from the Mournes. But if we have any notion about ourselves, or the Super 8s, we have to be winning games like next Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

I'm always wary of facing Down. They nearly knocked us out under McGuinness, and were superb against Monaghan last year. However, as noted, if we have realistic hopes of being a successful team in the coming years, we should be winning this game. And given how Monaghan were caught out last week, any complacency on our part would be unforgivable

The Down game in 2013 was a warning that all was not well. Confirmed by the Ulster Final and the tin hat was added during the All Ireland Quarter Final.

Unless we do a complete Monaghan on it I expect us to win probably as easily as we did against Derry but slightly more difficult than we had it against Cavan.

Come Sunday evening, I expect to be still worried about our defence and still be surprised that we continue to do well at midfield.

The Down game in 2013 was a warning that all was not well. Confirmed by the Ulster Final and the tin hat was added during the All Ireland Quarter Final.

Unless we do a complete Monaghan on it I expect us to win probably as easily as we did against Derry but slightly more difficult than we had it against Cavan.

Come Sunday evening, I expect to be still worried about our defence and still be surprised that we continue to do well at midfield.

To quote that old Jewish saying : "From your lips to God`s ears"

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Ah Breffni in '13... it dripped rain all day (the heavens threatened to open all game) - thankfully it wasn't the fine rain that soaks ye through :o My season ticket at the time allocated me a very nice vantage point; 4 seats away from the Covered Stand...

I will never forget McCartan's reaction that day at the Final Whistle - Seriously distraught - He knew that we were there for the taking and that he missed his best ever chance to get one over on Jedi Jim.

Also, Murphy taking a 55/60 metre free off the ground and nailing it... only to be asked to retake it again, and nailing it again. Class.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Murphy was immense that day, hopefully he can repeat it this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭doc_17

Murphy hasn’t kicked well off the ground since 2014.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Murphy was immense that day, hopefully he can repeat it this weekend.

He dragged us through that one.
    The writing was on the wall though that day.
    Looking back I would rather we went out to Down and not have had to listen to the thrash talk from some of the Monaghan supporters after the Ulster final.
    I wouldn`t have begrudged it to wee James either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Cannot even fathom losing an Ulster Final to him.

charlie14 wrote:
    He dragged us through that one. The writing was on the wall though that day. Looking back I would rather we went out to Down and not have had to listen to the thrash talk from some of the Monaghan supporters after the Ulster final. I wouldn`t have begrudged it to wee James either.

I agree with everything right up to the last sentence.

I agree with everything right up to the last sentence.

He had a pub leased in Mountcharles years back and I got to know him a bit, plus his mother and father who were great friends with Brian McEniff.

Found him to be a grand lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭LilNiall

charlie14 wrote: »
    He had a pub leased in Mountcharles years back and I got to know him a bit, plus his mother and father who were great friends with Brian McEniff.

Found him to be a grand lad.

Agree 100%. Met him in France at the Euros and was sound as a pound. Did giggle at him wearing a McCartsn GAA top.

You score 1, we’ll score 2 is the feeling for today.

We will give down opportunities and will concede plenty, can Down concede less? Possibly, but unlikely.

Down are dung.

• Advertisement

Jesus they were bad. At the very least expected them to keep it relatively tight at the start.

Our forward play was sublime at times. Just Rory Gallagher now who can prevent us from winning another Ulster Championship, ironic as he prevented us winning the previous 2 finals we contested.

Advertisement