Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Not a football man at all, but decided I'd watch this after the hurling as I was dying with a hangover.

Untrained eye, but I thought Donegal looked good. Now Down were terrible, but there was a tactical nuance to Donegal's game that impressed me. I'd normally have associated them with that sort of dour, defensive, joyless football that the Ulster game has become synonymous with. But they've gone for something new. The blanket defense is still there when needed, but there's an emphasis on quarter kicks across the field, runs from the backs, letting lads who can play football kick points from further out. Checked the odds , and a small e/w bet on them at 14/1 might be worth looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Down were incredibly poor, but at times we looked really good. That said, Neil McGee really should have more experience, that was just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A bit strange for Brazil to play their final friendly ahead of the World Cup in Clones today

Seriously though, after the negative sh!te we've been subjected to for the last few years, this is a joy to watch. One game away from the Super 8's, and I still won't be counting any chickens, but assuming we get there, we'll see what this team are really made of.

One element I liked today and it's something we saw under St Jim was how we had players drift into dangerous positions untracked. Leo did it for his goal, McFadden did it in the second half, it's what big Neil did well before. Any truth to the rumour Jim lent some advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    One element I liked today and it's something we saw under St Jim was how we had players drift into dangerous positions untracked. Leo did it for his goal, McFadden did it in the second half, it's what big Neil did well before. Any truth to the rumour Jim lent some advice?

Anthony Thompson used to do this all the time.

It always puzzled me how a defensive player who didn't have incredible pace always managed to wander so far forward untracked.

Under Jim, I think Donegal were excellent at creating and exploiting space. It seems we’re heading in that direction at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭dinjo99

Just back, I thought we played some very attractive football today but Down were very poor.

Quick question: Will tickets go on sale in Centra or tickets.ie for the final. Don’t seem to be online at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Not a whole lot to analyse in that game today. Down were shocking.
    It's pleasing to see the work we are doing on the opposition kick out bearing fruit. Cavan replaced their goalkeeper last night and I doubt if the Down keeper will be back any time soon.
    We moved up a level in our intensity today and dominated all over the pitch. The work rate was excellent with a sharing of the workload. Over elaboration towards the end cost us at least two more goals but that's nit picking.
    However, the red card could prove very costly. It was soft but, to the letter of the law, deserved. Caolán is not a natural full back and is reactive in the position whereas Neil anticipates danger. As we go deeper into the campaign it could become a problem. Hopefully the rumours about Gillespie are true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Anthony Thompson used to do this all the time.

It always puzzled me how a defensive player who didn't have incredible pace always managed to wander so far forward untracked.

Under Jim, I think Donegal were excellent at creating and exploiting space. It seems we’re heading in that direction at the moment.

That was your modus operandi and why you were so good to watch.
    As poor as Down were (and they were poison), you guys looked really good.

Beat Fermanagh and we beat Laois and that Super 8 group looks tasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

It is as good as Donegal have looked in a long time. Still hard to judge because a lot of other Ulster counties have gone backwards but going in the right direction for sure. If we could get over the line in Ulster it would be a good year.

Looking beyond that it's hard to know. Avoid a heavy loss to the Dubs on July 14/15 and depending who else is in the group that second spot is probably up for grabs. Don't think any qualifier team is significantly stronger than us. Firstly and most importantly must take Ulster home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

dinjo99 wrote: »

Quick question: Will tickets go on sale in Centra or tickets.ie for the final. Don’t seem to be online at the moment.

There will be no issue with tickets. Arlene and co won't take that many.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭dinjo99

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    There will be no issue with tickets. Arlene and co won't take that many.

Ulster says NO!!

Will they go on general sale? Centra or tickets.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Good points:

-Patton continues to improve
    -Our tackling/blocking/hassling was good today
    -Jamie Brennan's dispossession on the 65th minute at the other end of the pitch. Much harder grafters than under Rory
    -Passing and shooting is top notch
    -If Neil doesn't win appeal, we'll be fine
    -Fitness levels, especially of Murphy, unreal
    -Everyone playing for everyone

Bad points:
    -Should have had 5 goals
    -Fermanagh won't afford us the space we got today
    -Learned nothing really as Down were pure sh"te
    -Hype. Not getting sucked into that top 4 nonsense. Realistically beat nobody

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

Whatever happens from here on, it's going to be seen as good enough progress.
    All the players seem engaged & playing for the team getting the best out of themselves.

Patton is very promising in goals. There's less farting about the midfield. Scores coming from everywhere.

Obvious concerns at the back. I fear we are in for a right hiding at some point during the year, it's just a matter of when. Whether it comes at the hands of the master tactician or not we will see. ........

Down were the worst team we have played in Ulster this year. Shocking. They would belong in a B Championship if it existed. Still, we punished them for their crapulence. No team in the qualifiers should fear then even if Mooney and Harrison are good players.

Plenty of good performances all round.

Patton could be the most important addition to the squad this year. His range of kicking is very good - short, medium, long. The only concerns I would have are (a) his ability under a high ball (kinda like the one that got Fermanagh to an Ulster Final) and (b) twice against Cavan and once today, he has skimmed a kickout along the ground - this is the kinda thing that could hurt us at some stage.

I thought Paddy McGrath had a desperate first half. He was second best to every ball and couldn't hold up his man thereafter. He improved in the 2nd half but after his lucky escape in Derry I would be concerned.

No idea what Neil McGee was booked for, but I thought he was going to be hooked thereafter. Pity we didn't, I don't think he can have any arguments with the red card, at best, at very best, it was a 2nd yellow. Pity, as it was shaping up for a good battle.

Eoin Ban was excellent as always these days. Hope there was nothing to worry about in his substitution.

Ward did fine as far as I could see - tried hard, he's not physical enough for my liking but he sticks at it.

Paul Brennan was fine - fills the Thompson role from 2011-2014 well doing a lot of hard running to make space for others.

Ryan McHugh was heavily involved which was good to see as I was getting worried that he was off form. Came in for a lot of attention as usual, and he's probably right to feel aggrieved but I wish there wasn't so much drama with it.

Hugh McFadden was everywhere and did a lot of good things. One of our most improved players.

Great to see McLoone get a goal and put in a good shift. Worthy of his ovation. Looked over at our former manager and he was laughing. Maybe thinking back to the time he left him standing on the sideline in one of those Ulster Finals we lost.

I thought Thompson wasn't great but I saw on the coverage afterwards he did some good things. He's not as talented as MacNiallais, but might be the right choice to start most games, leaving MacNiallais to come on when the game has opened up a bit.

Langan was good enough. Didn't have anything like the impact he had against Cavan.

Frank McGlynn is a Rolls Royce of a footballer. Another who is thriving under Declan Bonner. Great to see it and boy how we will miss him when he goes.

Paddy was good enough. Still frustrates at times. Thought he could have done better in the first half when he should have been more alive to the quick pass for a goal. He's still our biggest scoring threat when he's in the mood/gets the ball/isn't well marked.

Michael was very good. Some wonderful skills. I was critical of him for losing one of our own kick outs that led to a point for them.

Jame Brennan had a fine game. Great to see him tracking back to win a turnover late in the game. These are the wee things that suggest we are heading in the right direction.

So, I expected us to be in the Ulster Final all along. Didn't think it would look this easy but there you go. And, didn't expect to be facing anyone other than Monaghan or Tyrone.

No excuses now. We know what to expect. There is no 'long grass'. We might not score 2-20, but we have more than enough ways to beat them. He is not the genius he is being made out to be for beating Monaghan. We know that. Consider that Donegal have scored 6-58 in the Ulster Championship, Fermanagh have scored 1-20. The game will be won by the best team on the day, but I'm dying to hear the case for a team that couldn't get out of Division 3 beating us unless we fail to perform at anything like the level we have been playing at. We have the firepower, let's use it.

No excuses on 24 June.

Wouldn't argue with any of that RSF. Hugh McFadden eh, who would have thought it, fair play to the lad. That Cruyff turn from Murphy too, that was just taking the piss really but sure why not! Also agree on Ryan, obviously a super player but if you keep turning back into players you're going to get the odd belt and if you keep lowering your head some might catch you high. No need for the tantrums with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Wouldn't argue with any of that RSF. Hugh McFadden eh, who would have thought it, fair play to the lad. That Cruyff turn from Murphy too, that was just taking the piss really but sure why not! Also agree on Ryan, obviously a super player but if you keep turning back into players you're going to get the odd belt and if you keep lowering your head some might catch you high. No need for the tantrums with it.

Totally disagree on Ryan. He was clearly targetted yesterday, on and off the ball. He was systematically fouled and the wallops to the head are extremely dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Totally disagree on Ryan. He was clearly targetted yesterday, on and off the ball. He was systematically fouled and the wallops to the head are extremely dangerous.

Really cynical stuff on Ryan Mc Hugh yesterday particularly the late hits after the ball was long gone
    Has a long time supporter these are amazing times we live in our 7th Ulster Final in 8 years

Anyone got a video or gif of Johann Murphy?

Fair enough on Ryan guys, I wasn't there so didn't see what you guys saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I was sitting quite close to the McGee red card incident but did not give it much heed as I thought the ref had indicated a free out.
    A bit silly from McGee with him being booked just before that but only getting a chance to see it again on TG4 this evening I did not see a whole lot in it tbh.
    Linesman seem to at first indicate it was a boot that went in. Pity his eyesight was not as good when Ryan McHugh was being dragged, hit and held off the ball at least three times directly in front of him.
    I don`t know if we are appealing McGee`s red and while I feel we will beat Fermanagh with or without him he would be the ideal marker for Quigley.

Down were poor, so still no real idea how good we are. Serious firepower up front,with great support play and lads not just ghosting into good positions, but bing hit with the ball when they do so. Midfield continuing to surprise and even if I would have a bit of a worry over Patton under the high ball, otherwise I can not fault him.
    His kick outs give us an extra edge we haven`t had since Durcan went of to the that big beach.
    There seems to be some serious coaching going into our keeper`s kick out, our forwards and our midfield.

At the back, I still have doubts though. Times we do look porous. After yesterday`s display it seems a bit callous saying this, but for me at least, I thought Paddy McGrath got skinned a few times where normally he would have stood his man up.

• Advertisement

Anyone got a video or gif of Johann Murphy?

Sportsjoe.ie. has it trending.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Sportsjoe.ie. has it trending.

I was hoping to avoid that tyre fire of a site. Thanks though.

I was hoping to avoid that tyre fire of a site. Thanks though.

Same here but I could not find it anywhere else.
    Sorry I did tbh as its a poor enough clip and Murphy did it straight in front of where I was sitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Just got my tickets on Tickets.ie. G section of the Gerry Arthur.. happy enough with that I think. Id usually be a standing man but upgrading this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Hill tickets not available online?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Hill tickets not available online?

Anyone know why terrace tickets aren’t available online yet?

Too much national meeja hype about this team at the moment. Top 2? Hardly. Top 8? Yes, and that's about it for now. Hammered by Tyrone and Galway in last year's Championship and only one win in the League this year can't be discounted based on beating Cavan at home and then accounting for teams that will spend 2019 in Divisions 3 and 4.

Plenty of encouraging signs but we need to win on 24 June and then get a couple of wins or a win and a draw in the Super 8s to live up to the hype IMHO. I've seen a lot of good football this summer but I just can't look past the quality of the opposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Too much national meeja hype about this team at the moment. Top 2? Hardly. Top 8? Yes, and that's about it for now. Hammered by Tyrone and Galway in last year's Championship and only one win in the League this year can't be discounted based on beating Cavan at home and then accounting for teams that will spend 2019 in Divisions 3 and 4.

Plenty of encouraging signs but we need to win on 24 June and then get a couple of wins or a win and a draw in the Super 8s to live up to the hype IMHO. I've seen a lot of good football this summer but I just can't look past the quality of the opposition.

I also feel there’s way too much emphasis being placed on positive wins over piss poor Ulster opposition. Declan Bonner being lauded as a “tactical genius” is a bit of a stretch at this stage.

We all saw what happened to Tyrone against Dublin last year. They were the team that supposedly had the physicilaity, athleticism and system to match the dubs. It didn’t happen.

Donegal have proven nothing until they beat Galway, Mayo, Kerry or Dublin. Yeah, they’ve progressed.

I certainly won’t be describing Bonner as a tactical genius until he produces a tactical masterclass.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

This is not at all the same team as last year; it's very different. Rory was driving the team into the ground.

Hugh McFadden has a role now which suits his skills.

Frank McGlynn isn't being disrespected.

Leo McLoone has been a huge boost and MacNiallais is back, for example. Jamie Brennan is a year on.

The team plays in a different way.

And most significantly, Donegal have a different goalkeeper and what looks like an actual kickout strategy (which is a tiny bit important in football these days).

I honestly think Donegal will beat Fermanagh handily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

David Gough to ref Ulster Final
    I think the two linesmen will have a lot to listen too from Rory & Ricey

Advertisement