Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Richmond Ultra

Just got my tickets on Tickets.ie. G section of the Gerry Arthur.. happy enough with that I think. Id usually be a standing man but upgrading this year.

I have tickets for section H. Where in the stand is that? Near halfway or more near the corner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

This is not at all the same team as last year; it's very different. Rory was driving the team into the ground.

No argument.
    Hugh McFadden has a role now which suits his skills.

His tackling still leaves a lot to be desired. He is doing a lot of good things. How would he match up with Brian Fenton, David Moran or Aidan O'Shea?
    Frank McGlynn isn't being disrespected.

He's not, and has a lot of freedom. Better teams might cop onto that or he might have more defensive work to do. Not sure the legs are up to 70 minutes at full tilt these days.
    Leo McLoone has been a huge boost and MacNiallais is back, for example. Jamie Brennan is a year on.

Next to Patton, McLoone has been the most important addition IMHO.
    The team plays in a different way.

They do. And that's good, but I am still not sure how it will translate against better teams.
    And most significantly, Donegal have a different goalkeeper and what looks like an actual kickout strategy (which is a tiny bit important in football these days).

Absolutely. Armagh had a great keeper last year too, right up until the Tyrone game.
    I honestly think Donegal will beat Fermanagh handily.

I think we probably will as well, as long as we get the balance right. Need to be patient while at the same time getting enough of a lead to panic them. Can't be too conservative, but can't be naive either.

Even if we beat them and beat them well, and it will be great to win Ulster again, we still need to beat someone who finished above us in Division 1 to live up to some of what is being said IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I don't think too many on the ground are getting carried away just yet. The commentators are always pressed on who they rate at every stage of the championship so they have little choice but to back Donegal based on the wins to date.

Bottom line is that the ship has been steadied. Lads are getting their name on the scoreboard regularly which hasn't happened in a long while. There seems to be a kick out strategy. The players are doing themselves justice at this stage, it was painful watching them punching below their weight the past few years.

They will find their level & will be well set to improve next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

Brego888 wrote: »

That’s a bonus for Donegal media!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Any comments labelling us as top 2 or 3 in the country right now are not to be taken credibly. We got relegated from division 1 and haven't played any division 1 team yet, nor will until the super 8s. I think as boxer.fan said, it's just pundits filling space until the super 8s start so wouldn't really pay any heed to them.
    Our target this year was to make the super 8s and we're on course for that. An Ulster win included would be bonus territory and what's really encouraging is the scoring rate. We may ship quite a bit if we do make the super 8s but there is every chance we might score a fair bit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Don’t care about super 8’s. Don’t care about not being tested or not meeting a division 1 side yet.

The only thing that should matter is being Ulster Champions on Sunday week. Worry about the rest after that, anything else is a bonus.

It is vital we win ulster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Murphy14 wrote: »
    David Gough to ref Ulster Final
    I think the two linesmen will have a lot to listen too from Rory & Ricey

I'll see him later in the week. I must have a word in his ear about the words he can expect in his ear.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Don’t care about super 8’s. Don’t care about not being tested or not meeting a division 1 side yet.

The only thing that should matter is being Ulster Champions on Sunday week. Worry about the rest after that, anything else is a bonus.

It is vital we win ulster.

All day long. An Ulster Title (no matter how easy our alleged path might appear to be) would be a good shot in the arm to the new lads on the team/panel.

That been said, its far from won yet. This is going to be a h**r of a slog. I also predict that we will see the real side of peoples character in their actions and words over the coming weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

I have tickets for section H. Where in the stand is that? Near halfway or more near the corner?

I think DEF are central and then GHI head away from.the centre towards the non town end. As I said I was always a Hill man but after the last game I swore I had enough of drunken tourists and would buy the seated ticket to enjoy the game.

• Advertisement

I think DEF are central and then GHI head away from.the centre towards the non town end. As I said I was always a Hill man but after the last game I swore I had enough of drunken tourists and would buy the seated ticket to enjoy the game.

I said the same, unsurprisingly I’m back on the Hill.

Tradition is tradition!

Neil McGee appeal failed per Inishowen Independent. Sad that he will miss a great chance at another Ulster Championship but fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Totally agree. Winning Ulster and whether or not we'll be at the level required for the S8s are two different things.

Plenty of easy Ulster titles have been won in the past and plenty have been lost. A win is a win is a win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Anyone know why terrace tickets aren’t available online yet?

Terrace only available online now, presumably stands are sold out then or could they become available again once the clubs return unsold tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Terrace only available online now, presumably stands are sold out then or could they become available again once the clubs return unsold tickets?

Possibly, but I doubt if clubs would send back many stand tickets.

If anything returned I imagine it would mostly be terrace.

Has Arlene decided to go or not ?
    If not, then those would be stand.
    Maybe give her office in Enniskillen a shout and see how she is fixed :D

Reading Jim McGuinness`s article in today`s Irish Times on how to deal with Fermanagh`s system I do not know if he was serious or just playing with the head of the one who shall not be named.

He reckons Donegal when defending should use 12 players with the other 3 forwards positioned between the two 65`s so that when Fermanagh have to re-cycle ball they will come under pressure from the 3 Donegal forwards behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

charlie14 wrote: »
    Reading Jim McGuinness`s article in today`s Irish Times on how to deal with Fermanagh`s system I do not know if he was serious or just playing with the head of the one who shall not be named.

He reckons Donegal when defending should use 12 players with the other 3 forwards positioned between the two 65`s so that when Fermanagh have to re-cycle ball they will come under pressure from the 3 Donegal forwards behind.

If Donegal can effectively win kick outs, then that part of the game won’t be too important. Stop the problem at source.

If Donegal can effectively win kick outs, then that part of the game won’t be too important. Stop the problem at source.

From how well our midfield has played in the three championship games so far I can see Fermanagh going for short kick outs.
    I imagine that is the scenario McGuinness had in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

From how well our midfield has played in the three championship games so far I can see Fermanagh going for short kick outs.

Won’t Donegal push up though? I can’t see them letting Monaghan play out from the back..

• Advertisement

Won’t Donegal push up though? I can’t see them letting Monaghan play out from the back..

I would be surprised if we do early on.
    If our forward line and half forwards push up on theirbacks and half backs then Fermanagh will go long to the Quigley`s, McCusker`s, Jones or Breen. Find one of them and it`s one on one and from the form of our defence to date not what we need imo.
    If it was me, I would play them at their own game.

No fouling,turn them over and use our pace which we have in abundance.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

This is an area where Fermanagh could hold the upper hand they have a strong midfield partnership in Jones & Donnelly ... Also I would have worries if both Quigleys start that would signal a more direct approach from Fermanagh who will need goals to win

This is an area where Fermanagh could hold the upper hand they have a strong midfield partnership in Jones & Donnelly ... Also I would have worries if both Quigleys start that would signal a more direct approach from Fermanagh who will need goals to win

You are giving their manager a lot of credit.

Cannot see the two Quigleys not starting unless one (or both) of them goes off on the beer again.

Their two midfielders are ok and if Fermanagh want to go for a shoot out by hitting it long from kick outs and us with 12 in our own half, I`m sure we would be happy to oblige.
    Best they would achieve is a mark and still be out of shooting range. Worst, we win possession from their kick out and with our forwards pace and movement they are in serious trouble.

Fermanagh are going to play it tight and cagey imo.

They cannot afford to take the chance of us going a few scores up early on and them having to chase the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Fair dues to them.

With RTE and Sky buggering off after the end of the championship to cover soccer and rugby wall to wall we would have next to no GAA coverage of the league or clubs if it was not for TG4.

I agree with him tbh.

We’ve got better forwards and the ability to kick from distance. More than happy to flood back in defense, prevent goals or Fermanagh getting a moderate points return (12-15 points). If we do that we win.

No risks please.

I agree with him tbh.

We’ve got better forwards and the ability to kick from distance. More than happy to flood back in defense, prevent goals or Fermanagh getting a moderate points return (12-15 points). If we do that we win.

No risks please.

Totally agree.
    They would need a good start if they are to win, so no risks early on and no silly frees conceded within scoring range which they will be playing for.

Patience, turn them over, hit them with pace and movement for a few scores and have them having to chase the game which will leave them vulnerable at the back.

I would never dare question a tactic of Jim McGuinness`s, but I am not that sure if he was actually suggesting we play with three forwards between the 65`s or he was just messing with Fermanagh heads.

Either way works for me.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Cannot see the two Quigleys not starting unless one (or both) of them goes off on the beer again.

QUOTE]

You may be right there. Rory's man management skills are being fully tested.

Jim's article is interesting and could well be a double bluff. We have dominated our three games so far by getting on top early on. We have established an early lead and always looked comfortable as a result. As we are all too aware Rory's teams struggle when they have to chase a game. Let's get at them early and see what they are made of. If we get on top and dominate the first twenty minutes we can win pulling up.

• Advertisement

QUOTE]

You may be right there. Rory's man management skills are being fully tested.

Jim's article is interesting and could well be a double bluff. We have dominated our three games so far by getting on top early on. We have established an early lead and always looked comfortable as a result. As we are all too aware Rory's teams struggle when they have to chase a game. Let's get at them early and see what they are made of. If we get on top and dominate the first twenty minutes we can win pulling up.

Not that I would have any sympathy for the particular individual, but management wise the Quigley`s would test the patience of Job.

Whatever Jim`s article was meant as it will certainly give Fermanagh pause for thought I imagine which is no harm.
    I would dearly love to blow Fermanagh away in the first 10 mins, but as that has been how we have performed to date in the championship most likely what Fermanagh will be expecting from us and will set up accordingly to frustrate and hit us on the break.

Not taking the ball into contact and a few points from distance would soften their cough early on and make them have to chase the game.
    What we do not need is to get ourselves into the position Monaghan found themselves in by conceding scores early and then having to try and breakdown Fermanagh.

Advertisement