Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

Imagine Christy Toye on this team.

A lot of his time with Jim was robbed through injury.

A lot of his football with Rory was robbed by Rory.

He'd be class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Imagine Christy Toye on any team.

He'd be class.

Fyp.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Feeling really confident heading into Sunday. Can't recall ever being like this before an ulster ginal. Declan has surprised me this year with the attacking way he has set up the team. I'm still concerned that he'll lose the plot at some stage, since he was marching on to the field to complain about mcgee's sending off, I'd worry what he might be like if a decision actually goes against us.

Think we could really do with Reilly and McElhinney back to have more impact off the bench. I'd have Niall O'Donnell instead of Jigger but that's unlikely to make a difference.

Only concern for Sunday is our light weight full back line against quigley(s). I see declan said that Gillespie is back training but is a long way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

I genuinely can't see Fermanagh get within an ass's roar of us come Sunday.  the likes of LMcC,FMcG and Murphy should have 2 additional Ulster medals to add to their collection but given the sideline tactics the past few years it's robbed them of this. Regardless of their personal feelings towards Rory, I've a feeling the lads will use this as additional motivation to stick it to him and Fermanagh. The bookies have it at a 5 point handicap and I think that's about right - though I fancy a higher spread. 
    As the man says.."let them through..let them through...Win or each way taken....with or without the favourite..bets in sterling paid in sterling...."

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Feeling really confident heading into Sunday. Can't recall ever being like this before an ulster ginal. Declan has surprised me this year with the attacking way he has set up the team. I'm still concerned that he'll lose the plot at some stage, since he was marching on to the field to complain about mcgee's sending off, I'd worry what he might be like if a decision actually goes against us.

Think we could really do with Reilly and McElhinney back to have more impact off the bench. I'd have Niall O'Donnell instead of Jigger but that's unlikely to make a difference.

Only concern for Sunday is our light weight full back line against quigley(s). I see declan said that Gillespie is back training but is a long way off.

When younger I used to travel to Clones with confidence, but from seeing so many slip away it`s nowadays with apprehension.

I have similar worries over Declan, but as long as he doesn`t play Christian we should be ok in the short term at least

Same as yourself, concerns for our back line and Reilly and McElhinney would strengthen our bench.

Good news on Gillespie, but it will take time to get him back up to the level required I`d imagine.

• Advertisement

charlie14 wrote:
    I have similar worries over Declan, but as long as he doesn`t play Christian we should be ok in the short term at least

Lol. Harsh but fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

The Gillespie situation is interesting. Declan pulled him from the Gweedore team against Kilcar last weekend apparently whereas Neil played. It may mean nothing but Declan hasn't always given full disclosure on the fitness of players. I suspect he's a lot closer than Declan is letting on.

Finally got around to watching Fermanagh v Monaghan.

Shame on us if we lose on Sunday!

Monaghan were ****e and not much went right for them. Play that game 10 times and they probably win 9.

We don't need to play brilliantly to win on Sunday but we need to play with intensity from the start. We can't afford to have a first half like Monaghan had or even Galway last weekend.

The way we have got in front in all 3 games so far and kept ourselves out of reach woukd do very nicely on Sunday.

Big test for our kick outs. If Fermanagh push up and force us to go long we might need to use the wings and bypass midfield if possible. Not only do Fermanagh have good fielders they also scrapped really well.

Despite his stellar league, Paddy McBrearty has had an average Championship to date. Sunday's opposition don't seem like they will give him much room to breathe. He is due, but we might have to wait to see the best of him. Hopefully the attention he will receive will allow others to prosper.

Will be interesting to see how Ryan McHugh is handled. Teams will note how referees seem slow to punish persistent fouling off the ball and now frustrated he gets.

Will we see Michael Murphy at full back for the last few minutes? Wouldn't surprise me. But we should focus on closing down any high ball rather than trying to deal with it in around the square.

Don't do anything stupid lads. No carrying the ball into contact, no retaliation to any digs. Play percentages when shooting, don't be afraid to recycle. Keep your cool and we will be Ulster Champions again.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Eamon Doherty played a lot of games in the league he might be an option for full back on Sunday also Paul Brennan an option in full back line prefer Caolan Ward in the half back line he has serious pace ...fermanagh will try to isolate Paddy Mc Grath under the high ball ..to win this one would be a massive boost to the younger players giving them confidence for the super 8s..just have a fear about Declan needs to stay cool when the antics start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Looking for 2 tickets for either pitch side stand if anyone knows of a couple going. PM me ðŸ™

• Advertisement

Well done and congratulations to the hurlers today in Croker. Hopefully a silverware double in he offing.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

'NOT TODAY RYAN!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Looking good at half time. Crap keeping an eye on things as an exile, only got the prelim game and sounds like the attack has been lovely on the eye.... Though fermanagh tried their best to shut it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭North of 32

Absolutely delighted. Delighted for the players. Delighted for the management who committed to a new playing style. And delighted for Rory Gallagher, the biggest spoofer in football. Still up to the old tricks, sending Ryan McMenamin sprinting across the field with the game dead in the water. Fermanagh should get rid of that spitting imp before their qualifier.

ULSTER CHAMPIONS!

**** you Ricey, Rory and Arlene.

Up Donegal!

Rory proved a lot of us right today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Jesus lads we will never get one as handy as this again. Besides the point I know but it's true.

Patton is no PaPa under a high ball but he has everything else and will only get better. The Two that come to mind today were hard to judge for a keeper anyway being so close to going over the bar.

Full back line done well. Paddy spent most of his time up the pitch and took his man out of the game. He was shaky enough in the full back the last day against Derry so today was perfect for him I thought.

Eoghan Ban was out on his own (Along with Ryan)

Apart from the obvious in the half back line I think Paul Brennan is really developed now and may fill that 6 position well for a while to come. Not the finished article but not far away another fine score.

Thought O Mac was quiet enough after the first quarter blitz. M. Langan had a poor enough day at the office, maybe the occasion got to him.

All in all another solid performance in 3rd gear probably.

Rory got what was coming. He is clueless outside his own game plan. He may have good player knowledge around the country but he is tactically inept.

And did anyone notice Maxi Curran grew his hair long and has a beard now?

Enjoy the beer. Won't get seeing the game on t.v. until tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Had recorded the game, just watched it, great performance, the footballers are all there alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Stoner wrote: »
    Had recorded the game, just watched it, great performance, the footballers are all there alright.

Looking forward to seeing it. Turned out my G section tickets were NO section row G which meant I was as far to the left of the Gerry Arthur stand as ye can get. In line with the goal line

Stoner wrote:

Yerra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Yerra.

I'm telling you, I've said it here already this year, all I questioned was did they have the manager to use it.
    They have a great leader and a few crafty players that pop up randomly for goals.

It's great football to watch anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Refreshing to see great attacking play instead of that mind numbing drivel we had to endure under Gallagher. Interesting times ahead. I wonder how we will fare against Dublin? Could be a high scoring game.

Stoner wrote:
    I'm telling you, I've said it here already this year, all I questioned was did they have the manager to use it. They have a great leader and a few crafty players that pop up randomly for goals.

Who do we play next?

; -)

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Stoner wrote:
    I'm telling you, I've said it here already this year, all I questioned was did they have the manager to use it. They have a great leader and a few crafty players that pop up randomly for goals.

Who do we play next?

; -)
    Dubs July 15th Croker.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Well Declan and his team have the Anglo Celt back to the Diamond. We all accept that Fermanagh did us a huge favour beating Monaghan but it looks like he was, as he had said after all, preparing for Championship.

Fair funks to him. There is no doubting he's a Donegal man through and through and has served his time with various Co. Teams up to this point. Its amazing the difference 3 or 4 months make. Here's me thinking that the lads that departed spelt trouble in the camp. Goes to show that I wouldn't know if it was blown up or stuffed!!:eek:

I would be concerned about Patrick McBrearty though - Took an awful bang to the knee kicking that score - We need him in three weeks.

And our Captain... I just love seeing him lifting trophies - He deserves every ounce of success he gets. Don't know the fella but you can't help but warm to him, his humility shines through every word he says. What a man.

So, based on the draw this morning, here is the best scenario now IMHO

Roscommon draw the winner of Clare v Armagh

If all other games go to plan, we could see TYR/MON/MAY coming to Ballybofey for the August Bank Holiday weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Wouldn't it be nice to have one of those boys at home knowing a win would secure a semi final spot ... unless of course we're already qualified by then! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Delighted.

Shove it up your arse Rory.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

At least now it is to be hoped that the media will finally cop themselves and stop writing ****e about that charlatan Gallagher now that we exposed him for what he is.

Happy out with yesterday.
    Hard to quibble when 10 of the starting 15 scoring and 3 of the subs.
    Particularly enjoyed Paddy McGrath`s point.
    Had to laugh that after his goal was disallowed there was no way he was going back down the other end until he got a score.

Noticed there was a bit of criticism here for Langan and McNiallais.
    Langan does look as if he has this lazy old gait about him but its a bit deceiving as he can eats up ground.
    Took his score well but probably needs to getting ball from hand to foot when getting his shot off.
    McNiallais I was happy enough with. His point was an absolute beauty and with McFadden sweeping in front of our back line I thought both him and McLoone did a power of work around midfield on dirty ball.
    Yesterday must have been extra satisfying for McLoone after all the crap that charlatan put him through.

Ban Gallagher was exceptional and with every game I can see more and more of Karl Lacey`s fingerprints on the lads game.
    Well deserved man of the match award, even though Ryan Mc Hugh must have been pushing close.

Some serious coaching going into that team and it shows.
    Continue to be amazed at the midfield performances but still no nearing to know what we are like at the back, but tbh from here on out I am not a bit bothered.
    Ulster Champions without having to get out of second gear, a team that is knitting well where every out field player is able to take his score and a bench that is getting stronger with each passing day will keep me nice and content over the winter

• Advertisement

We should take a leaf out of Kildare's book.

Advertisement