Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Time to unleash Niall O'Donnell

Hmm. Quite possibly. Does he want to commit again however? Don't think he is the same type of player as Paddy anyway - not as direct.

Looked brilliant against Cavan in the U-20s last month but then had no impact at all against Derry.

Can score, but also misses what seem like easy chances to me.

Would be good to have him involved in the squad again for sure. McGee too.

Will think on how we might approach this game. Can see it playing out like the league match earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Even if thing's don't go all that well against Dublin if we could avoid Monaghan in Clones or Tyrone in Omagh you would have to give us a decent chance of a semi final. Although I'd say one of those scenarios could be likely enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Not Dublin’s fault, and I’d safely say that lot would happily play anyone anywhere, but it doesn’t look great really if they are playing 2 games in Croker.

The Dubs in Clones would be class. County board pushing this forward next week as far as I understand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Heard on the grapevine that Dublin v Donegal game will be at 4pm on the Sunday, same time as the World Cup final. Cant find anything online to back it up though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Not Dublin’s fault, and I’d safely say that lot would happily play anyone anywhere, but it doesn’t look great really if they are playing 2 games in Croker.

The Dubs in Clones would be class. County board pushing this forward next week as far as I understand.

It is not of our making. I do agree that it looks bad but that's what counties voted for.

Yeah, Dublin v Donegal in Clones be some day!

For these things to change it needs people to put motions to county conventions and then to Congress. As mainly Dublin hurling supporter I would say conservatively that we have been drawn away in 75% of our championship matches for donkey's years.

Kildare made good point this week, that the bankroll ought not be the determining factor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,262 ✭✭✭threeball

henke wrote: »
    Even if thing's don't go all that well against Dublin if we could avoid Monaghan in Clones or Tyrone in Omagh you would have to give us a decent chance of a semi final. Although I'd say one of those scenarios could be likely enough.

Whatever about Monaghan I don't think ye have anything to fear in Tyrone. Another team living on borrowed time going by performances so far.

threeball wrote:
    Whatever about Monaghan I don't think ye have anything to fear in Tyrone. Another team living on borrowed time going by performances so far.

Throne in Omagh would take on a life of its own. Winning there without Paddy McBrearty would be a fine achievement for this team. They might be rabble, but they have our number lately. Important to start reversing that trend.

Would take Kildare or Roscommon away and Throne/Monaghan in Ballybofey the weekend of the August Bank Holiday please.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,213 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Bonniedog wrote: »
    It is not a neutral venue. First four games were to be played in Croke park. Just as quarter finals have been since God was a boy.

If you want to whinge about it, perhaps contact your delegate. They voted for it :)

Delegates voted on a round robin series of three games.
    One as you say, in Croke Park, one at home and one away.
    I don`t recall them voting to hand over the GAA national stadium to Dublin as their home ground though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

charlie14 wrote:
    Delegates voted on a round robin series of three games. One as you say, in Croke Park, one at home and one away. I don`t recall them voting to hand over the GAA national stadium to Dublin as their home ground though.

True, but I assume Dublin name Parnell Park as the home ground and CP as the alternative. As Cavan did recently, and Kildare refused to

Stoner wrote: »
    True, but I assume Dublin name Parnell Park as the home ground and CP as the alternative. As Cavan did recently, and Kildare refused to

Cavan nominated Brewster Park because Breffni wasn`t available because of work being carried out there.
    No such problem with Parnell Park faik.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Slightly off topic, but the Mayo obituary on the The Sunday Game is a little bit cheesy; even threw in a musical montage of all their defeats over the years. Christ almighty.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Delegates voted on a round robin series of three games.
    One as you say, in Croke Park, one at home and one away.
    I don`t recall them voting to hand over the GAA national stadium to Dublin as their home ground though.

Not of Dublin's making. I be proposing that from now on we play all our home games in Parnell. As we are entitled to. Parnell Pass and Dublin season tickets more than cover that, and rarely if ever beaten there :)

Rest of country and Summer Dubs can watch on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

charlie14 wrote:
    Cavan nominated Brewster Park because Breffni wasn`t available because of work being carried out there. No such problem with Parnell Park faik.

I read that Cavan nominated CP as the alternative ground.
    I read it more than once but I'm not going to try to dig it up.
    Maybe Cavan nominated Brewster as their home and CP as the ALT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

It is not a neutral venue. First four games were to be played in Croke park. Just as quarter finals have been since God was a boy.

If you want to whinge about it, perhaps contact your delegate. They voted for it :)

Still unfair, not just because one team gets 2 home games and one 2 away games, but that the Ulster champions have to play have to play their 2 away games,including one against Dublin first.

Whereas Roscommon/qualifier play Cork/qualifier 1st game at Croke Park followed by Donegal at home, before playing Dublin at Croke Park.

If one were paranoid one might think that they wanted the Ulster champions out.

The provincial champions should either get a home game 1st or play a qualifier in Croke Park first.

I hope Armagh draw Roscommon

harpsman wrote: »
    Still unfair, not just because one team gets 2 home games and one 2 away games, but that the Ulster champions have to play have to play their 2 away games,including one against Dublin first.

Whereas Roscommon/qualifier play Cork/qualifier 1st game at Croke Park followed by Donegal at home, before playing Dublin at Croke Park.

If one were paranoid one might think that they wanted the Ulster champions out.

The provincial champions should either get a home game 1st or play a qualifier in Croke Park first.

I doubt there is conspiracy, but I do recognise the disparity between Dublin and others in regard to Croke Park. It is of course an advantage to Dublin. anyone denies that is talking through their behind.

It is GAA pushing this, not Dublin. We'd far prefer if it came down to it to play all home games in Donnycarney. Glad to see that Gilroy has established that point with the hurlers.

If this new structure is maintained - and I think it is a good one - then issues like venues should be sorted out, But that's down to other counties' delegates to Congress. All of whom were happy to go along with the format for the 8s until it might mean their own county might be playing Dublin in Croke Park.

Just look at the idiocy of the Cavan County Board. Preferred to play Tyrone in CP where they would have arse handed to them on a plate than Enniskillen, where they were in with a shout to the end.

These are the people who make the decisions.

Stoner wrote: »
    I read that Cavan nominated CP as the alternative ground.
    I read it more than once but I'm not going to try to dig it up.
    Maybe Cavan nominated Brewster as their home and CP as the ALT

Cavan couldn`t use their home pitch because of the work going on there and informed Croke Park last Monday when the draw was made that they would play it in Enniskillen.
    It was change after some "persuasion" from Croke Park to play it in Croke Park in a double header with Kildare/Mayo.

Just look at the idiocy of the Cavan County Board. Preferred to play Tyrone in CP where they would have arse handed to them on a plate than Enniskillen, where they were in with a shout to the end.

The only reason Cavan were listed to play in Croke Park was, because unlike Kildare, they hadn`t the guts to stand up to the big boys in Croke Park.
    When the draw was made, because Breffini was unavailable, they nominated Enniskillen.
    That was then changed to Croke Park as part of a double header with Kildare/Mayo

Don't mean to be all anti Cavan, but you are correct.

Firstly, what possessed them to renovate their home ground in the middle of the championship!

When I asked some of them said it was because of novelty of playing in Croke Park!

Probably shows the low expectations they have.

Fairest system for 8s would be one home, one away and a neutral venue, If counties agree that should be Croke Park then fair enough, but it ought not be mandatory. Most games other than the big beasts be easily accommodated in5/6 other grounds.

I can certainly see where Donegal are coming from with regard to our first game. Should be interesting as always, no matter where it is.

Oiche, nó Maidin mhaith!

Great draw

We will play Roscommon or Armagh away

And then Throne in Ballybofey on the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Bring it on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I hope Armagh draw Roscommon
    Any lotto numbers??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

And Throne v Dublin in Omagh in round 2. While it would be lovely if we were hosting Throne knowing we were virtually through already, I'd gladly settle for a winner take all match at home! :D Also, there is a chance it could be Tyrone on two wins, ourselves and Dublin on 1 win each come the last round, meaning all 3 teams could finish level - not that I'm looking for such a dramatic final day of course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,966 ✭✭✭doc_17

So, away to Dublin, away to Roscommon and then home to Tyrone. Could be a rumble on the final day. Say we lose awaybto Dubs amd Rossies, (negative I know) and Tyron beat Rossies on Day 1.m then we could be looking at Dubs on 4 against Rossies, Rossies on 2, Tyrone on 2 against Donegal on 0!!

In that event the provicincial winners should go through 😜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭henke

Very good draw. I can't see anything but 3 from 3 for the Dubs. They tanked Tyrone last year and even it might be a closer in a group match I don't see Tyrone beating them. Roscommon/Armagh away game essential to win and we will be hard beat in Ballybofey.

Can’t be losing to that shower at home.

I doubt there is conspiracy, but I do recognise the disparity between Dublin and others in regard to Croke Park. It is of course an advantage to Dublin. anyone denies that is talking through their behind.

It is GAA pushing this, not Dublin. We'd far prefer if it came down to it to play all home games in Donnycarney. Glad to see that Gilroy has established that point with the hurlers.

If this new structure is maintained - and I think it is a good one - then issues like venues should be sorted out, But that's down to other counties' delegates to Congress. All of whom were happy to go along with the format for the 8s until it might mean their own county might be playing Dublin in Croke Park.

Was saying the same myself about Cavan. Couldn’t think of any reason they would choose Croke Park over Brewster.

You’re right. It is a bit late to be whinging about the Croke Park thing now when it was agreed on a year ago

Was saying the same myself about Cavan. Couldn’t think of any reason they would choose Croke Park over Brewster.

You’re right. It is a bit late to be whinging about the Croke Park thing now when it was agreed on a year ago

That’s the sort of attitude that leads to these things becoming the norm.

Dublin playing 2 games at home is unfair. We should be pressing very hard to have that rectified. It’d be no harm for the championship either having a big game like that down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

The thing is Nidge, this was voted on last year - that was the time to object. This is very different to the Kildare situation as there the rules clearly stated home advantage was due to Kildare. Here the rules clearly state that the first round is Croke Park and then each team has one home and one away in the further rounds.
    Any delegate voting on this who did not see that this meant Dublin would have 2 home games would need to really be asked what they thought they were voting on!

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭squareball1988

A reasonable Super 8s draw. A litmus test of our credentials; a chance to prove ourselves to be the best in Ulster again (put to bed the "easy side of the draw" argument); and all with a realistic chance of making it to a Semi Final.

However, without Paddy, while possible, won't be as straightforward.

• Advertisement

Roscommon in the Hyde will be very tough as will that shower in Ballybofey.

I’ve written off the Dublin game already. I’d have been fairly confient or a semi final and even a final appearance but without McBrearty I just think we are too short up front - even with the spread of scorers we now have he is so important to the whole thing. It’d be on a par with losing Karl in 2012 I think.

Advertisement