Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Gweedore's to lose now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Senior:
    Gaoth Dobhair v Naomh Conaill

Intermediate:
    Aodh Ruadh v Glenfin

Win one for Frank

Junior A Urris v Red Hughs

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Gweedore's to lose now...

They are some outfit great mixture of youth & experience... I really believe they could challenge Ulster
    Encouraging for the county that Daire O' Baoill,Odhran, & Gillespie dominated today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,963 ✭✭✭doc_17

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Win one for Frank

Think Frank already has an intermediate with Glenfin?

doc_17 wrote: »

Unless he was playing for Glenfin seniors when he was 15, I doubt it!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

doc_17 wrote: »

I don`t think he has, but after the shifts he put in for the county team this year, even if he has I would not begrudge him another one.

Away to Fermanagh in Ulster quarter final if we get over that throne in the semi final

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Away to Fermanagh in Ulster quarter final if we get over that throne in the semi final

Yeah, unfortunately I cannot see Derry or Antrim taking them out.

• Advertisement

Good draw. Go down there and kick ass.

Red Hughs hammered Urris.

Inishowen is in a ****e state altogether.

Glenfin Intermediate Champions. Delighted for Frank McGlynn.

Hearing that Karl Lacey has left the management hopefully we can get a suitable replacement

Hearing that Karl Lacey has left the management hopefully we can get a suitable replacement

That`s a pity if true.

With Eoghan Ban Gallagher`s performances this year I got the impression that Karl was a major influence in that alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Senior:

Anyone know if this match is on TG4 on Sunday?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

Glenman wrote: »
    Senior:

Anyone know if this match is on TG4 on Sunday?

Naomh Conaill v Gaoth Dobhair  beo   
    4-00pm

Ballyea v Cratloe   iarbheo

Stephen Rochford on his way onto the back room team good addition if true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Where did you hear that? Thats a bit bizarre

Where did you hear that? Thats a bit bizarre

A Mayo man telling me ...Highland now also reporting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

A Mayo man telling me ...Highland now also reporting it

Cheers, would be a good addition alright

Hmmmmmm

Nothing against the man. He did well with Corofin of Galway and did a decent job with Mayo, but is not bringing in a just recently ex county manager like bringing a new wife to live with your mother. Asking for trouble.
    Probably a replacement for Karl Lacey but tbh with Karl`s very recent playing experience at the highest level, and the work that is needed on our defense, out of the two I would prefer Karl staying on.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Nothing against the man. He did well with Corofin of Galway and did a decent job with Mayo, but is not bringing in a just recently ex county manager like bringing a new wife to live with your mother. Asking for trouble.
    Probably a replacement for Karl Lacey but tbh with Karl`s very recent playing experience at the highest level, and the work that is needed on our defense, out of the two I would prefer Karl staying on.

It's a great appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

If nothing else it's a sign of ambition and intent ... I mean that mileage won't come cheap!

It's a great appointment.

I think he was very badly treated by the Mayo County Board, possibly influenced from some of the senior squad, so I can see who he would want to get back to being involved at county level asap I am not that sure he is what we need. Especially, if as seems, he is a direct replacement for Karl Lacey in the backroom team.

Under Declan this year we have played a nice brand of attacking football, but for me our Achilles heels have been in defense and mid-field.
    I know people will point to Rochford when he managed Corofin as a team that played the same brand of football as us this year, but I have watched Corofin teams going back as far as the 90`s play that brand of football. He didn`t introduce that. In fact Paul McGettigan ex Donegal would have been one of the main drivers behind Corofin playing that style from his involvement with 6 of their minor teams in the 90`s that won 9 in a row in Galway and their 1998 team that won their first AI senior club title.
    Not taking away from a man managing a team to win a senior club AI but when I look at what he brought to Mayo I am just not sure if he is what we need at the minute.
    Maybe the talent simply wasn`t there needed to win an AI. But a bit like ourselves at the minute imho, prior to his arrival Mayo, while having some excellent defenders had also some serious problems. Full back especially, and a defensive unit at times that just imploded. Prior to his arrival their mid-field was ok, but again imho has since then at times looked as if they didn`t know what they were expected to do.

As I`ve said, nothing against the man, but for me at least the two areas where we are vulnerable, from what I have seen from his time at county level with Mayo I would have my doubts he is what we need at the minute.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    If nothing else it's a sign of ambition and intent ... I mean that mileage won't come cheap!

Just on that. Faik he is with AIB.
    Would anyone know if perhaps he got a transfer to Donegal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I think it would be a great appointment. Shame to see Karl go but I'm sure he could go with a break after going straight from playing to a selector.

It reflects well in Declan that he's looking outside his normal circle. I'm sure it's attractive for Rochford too to be involved with one of the top teams but less pressure than being the manager. He might even win something too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Am I right in saying that Anthony McGrath and McElholm are gone also? Busy winter ahead recruiting.

The Rochford move is an interesting one. Murphy will have to touch up on his sledging skills when he is moved into full back. ;) Was treated like **** by the Mayo Co. Board...nothing like a manager scorned to motiviate him with a new team. Can't wait to hear Jimmy Sloyan's take on this development...

• Advertisement

It reflects well in Declan that he's looking outside his normal circle. I'm sure it's attractive for Rochford too to be involved with one of the top teams but less pressure than being the manager. He might even win something too!!

That's what I think too. Very unlike us to be so savvy.

Advertisement