Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I'm assuming this site just lifts or aggregates from other sites. Donegal News made reference to Clones as the venue, but that it remained to be confirmed.

Anyway, we should know for sure soon enough. There's already been moaning on Twitter that it should be Omagh. I can see where people are coming from, but Ulster Council seems to go for Clones or Cavan for semi finals.
    Will be travellin from dublin so Clones/Cavan fine for me. Presume Antrim crew would prefer Clones to other 2 and it seems to be the favoured venue where possible. Not much difference between Cavan and Clones for Donegal supporters no? Being slightly superstitious Im glad we re back in Clones for semi after-we played semis there in 11 and 12.
    PS Im surprised Cavan agreed to play Monaghan in Clones last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

harpsman wrote: »
    PS Im surprised Cavan agreed to play Monaghan in Clones last year.

I don't think they have a choice. The Ulster CCC sets the venues.

SM746 wrote: »
    Omagh would make most sense for the great majority of people in Donegal. Travelling from Kildare I'll selfishly hope its Cavan!

Ditto - heading from Kildare too obviously. Plus, I hate Clones to look at, and, as ST holders last year, we were given truly awful seats. Prefer going there to Casement of course...not just because of the location but because the new Casement Park will be all seater.

Just FYI, list of GAA grounds ranked by attendance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Ireland_by_capacity

Omagh looks like it would have enough capacity for a Donegal v Antrim game. Derry would more than do the job too.

Will Clones even be half full?

Oh, by the way, moaning about venues, unless they won't be big enough to satisfy demand (e.g. Carrick on Shannon last summer, even if it was probably ok in the end), is pointless. Anyone who really wants to go to an Ulster Championship match will make it - it's not like we're being asked to travel to Killarney! Since they got rid of the border checkpoint, getting to Clones isn't as bad as it was back in the bad old days. It's a hike from Gweedore or Inishowen granted, but then Ballybofey or Derry aren't great for those of us who are exiled!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 green and yellow

nice story about the naomh columba team helping a fella foot the turf down at the gaelteacht. i can't post the link here but it's all over the news today, donegal daily, independent etc.
    the team bus stopped and all hands got off and saved the guy a lump of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Story here. Fair play to them.

Just FYI, list of GAA grounds ranked by attendance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_stadiums_in_Ireland_by_capacity

Omagh looks like it would have enough capacity for a Donegal v Antrim game. Derry would more than do the job too.

Will Clones even be half full?
    Celtic Park-22,000 me arse. What crowd was there the other day when it was fairly rammed? 18,000? And about 3,000 of those got a seat.
    I dont give a damn if Clones is only half full. At least it has the "luxury" of seating on 2 sides of the ground. Id expect 15-20,000 the next day which is more than enough to justify Clones.

harpsman wrote: »
    Celtic Park-22,000 me arse. What crowd was there the other day when it was fairly rammed? 18,000? And about 3,000 of those got a seat.
    I dont give a damn if Clones is only half full. At least it has the "luxury" of seating on 2 sides of the ground. Id expect 15-20,000 the next day which is more than enough to justify Clones.

Were you at the game? It was far from rammed. I agree that 22,000 seems optimisitic however, especially when there is only a very small terrace behind one end of the ground.

The seats on the terrace side in Clones are pure muck. I would be happier standing. Could barely see the game last year. If we win the next day out I'll be contacting the ST office to tell them I won't accept these tickets this year.

Anyway, I don't really care. I'll go wherever it's on.

Were you at the game? It was far from rammed. I agree that 22,000 seems optimisitic however, especially when there is only a very small terrace behind one end of the ground.

The seats on the terrace side in Clones are pure muck. I would be happier standing. Could barely see the game last year. If we win the next day out I'll be contacting the ST office to tell them I won't accept these tickets this year.

Anyway, I don't really care. I'll go wherever it's on.
    I was at the game and the parts of the ground that were open were as full as Id want them to be given theres no stewarding.
    I dont mind standing either,Im young and fit but there are plenty of people who dont want to stand for 2 hours,or longer if theres a minor game on as well. What is your problem with the seats on the hill side? Granted theyre old fashioned benches but the view is the same as the other side-good if youre back and middle,crap if youre front and end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Clones it is for the Semi Final against Antrim. Good to have the minors on same day at least.

Head of PR for Ulster Council wouldn't answer me on Twitter the other night when I asked were there criteria or a list of venues for Semi Finals. I was civil about it, not looking for a row, just curious. All I got re. decision process was 'discussion and democracy'.

BIG NEWS!

Donegal will wear white against Antrim.

This is potentially the most interesting news about this game so far (after the venue choice, obviously...)

BIG NEWS!

Donegal will wear white against Antrim.

This is potentially the most interesting news about this game so far (after the venue choice, obviously...)

Real Madrid wore white in the European up final and won it so this could be a good omen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Real Madrid wore white in the European up final and won it so this could be a good omen.

And England wore white the other night.

Just saying!

smashey wrote: »
    And England wore white the other night.

Just saying!

So a draw?

The ulster council will be made up!

Less of the foreign sports now...

We wore a strange looking green when we lost to Antrim back in 2009. We wore white for the beginning of the good times back in 2011.

Looks like we will be picking from a full deck. Aside from winning (I don't care if it's one point or ten points), the most important things for me on Sunday are:
    • Good days for Colm and Paddy. Word is Colm was under the weather before the Derry game which might help explain the performance. He had a brilliant game against Eunans in the ACL recently. Paddy did likewise for Kilcar in their last non-starred game
    • Another good 70 minutes from Paddy McGrath
    • Game time for Rory and Big Neil
    • No injuries or suspensions
    • A win for our Minor team

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

We wore a strange looking green when we lost to Antrim back in 2009. We wore white for the beginning of the good times back in 2011.

Looks like we will be picking from a full deck. Aside from winning (I don't care if it's one point or ten points), the most important things for me on Sunday are:
    • Good days for Colm and Paddy. Word is Colm was under the weather before the Derry game which might help explain the performance. He had a brilliant game against Eunans in the ACL recently. Paddy did likewise for Kilcar in their last non-starred game

My exact sentiments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Cheeky b"£$%. And me wearing it all the time!!

RMDrive wrote: »
    Cheeky b"£$%. And me wearing it all the time!!

Lol, by 'strange' I just don't recall it that well. Would prefer green to white myself, something like this would look better as a change jersey IMHO

http://www.oneills.com/shop-by-team/gaa/ulster/donegal-gaa/donegal-gaa-green-jersey-adults-1.html

Or the Mayo style jersey, but with gold instead of red as the second colour.

Indeed, have the old green with gold hoops as our change jersey would be better again.

Anyway, Sunday....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Word is Colm was under the weather before the Derry game which might help explain the performance.

I thought something might be up when I noticed he had hands on knees before the first half was even finished. Not the type to be winded like that.

Aye, McFadden was holed up in bed with the flu the week before the Derry game. I just thought he had an off day, which was very worrying, but that would explain it.

Apparently he was involved in a huge amount of St Michaels' scores against Eunans.

This could be the game we need, with the greatest respect to Antrim of course, but it could be a chance just to open the legs a bit more.

Hoping (Expecting) two wins on Sunday. I'll be extremely disappointed for the minors if they don't get through as they've been really great this year. Hit and miss against Derry but minors usually are at times. Ne nice to see this bunch get to a final having been successful at u-16 and u-17 over the past few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Less of the foreign sports now

"Foreign Sports"??? Redsox fan!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

"Foreign Sports"??? Redsox fan!!!!
    Rounders? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Ticket in there today, Covered Stand, Section CC. Opposite side to the tickets from last year.
    Roll on the game now; hopefully do the business and hopefully get a long overdue crack at Armagh in the championship :-)

SM746 wrote: »
    Ticket in there today, Covered Stand, Section CC. Opposite side to the tickets from last year.
    Roll on the game now; hopefully do the business and hopefully get a long overdue crack at Armagh in the championship :-)

Aye, better than the Ulster Final tickets last year for sure, but that's probably due to the crowd expected. Could be glad of a bit of shade if the good weather stays.

We did beat Armagh in 07,and couple of in the 90s. Its been a long time since we beat Monaghan. Problem is,not sure if we'd beat them at the moment.

Id like to see a big fielding performance from Neil,cos if hes not winnin k/os not sure if Id pick him ahead of other 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Can't remember the last time we beat Monaghan in the Championship, 83 if I'm not forgetting something?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Yes it was 1983 and I think it was in Irvinestown Co Fermanagh. I was at the game and I remember Charlie Mulgrew got his jaw broken . It was a hot day and you could say that Monaghan were fairly physical. I watched Monaghan against Tyrone and although they played ok I think Tyrone played into their hands by some of the lighter players attempting to carry the ball down the middle and getting turned over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I hope we're not getting ahead of ourselves talking about Monaghan or Armagh in the final! Hopefully Colm can find his form on Sunday and put up a decent score and as RSF stated, no injuries and more game time for those that need it, on top of a low key but comfortable win would be the perfect outcome on Sunday for me. Oh and if we do make it through I really would love to get one over on Monaghan - we owe them one! :)

Advertisement