Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Regarding our defence, recall that we are missing the 2012 Footballer of the Year at centre back, a pivotal position for the defence. He should be back for the Final.
    in fairness i did realise that after i posted, just too lazy to edit! we were a lot more solid in the Derry game.

we are without a doubt better than last year. a few players injured/form issues that leaves us short of 2012 but lots of time for that to be sorted out. the team as a whole i think has more players with a scoring threat, the optimism is growing :D

car already full for clones, someone else can drive :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Once again; Donegal fans that travelled were magnificent!
    Durkans kickouts were excellent today; really pleased with the improvement.
    Backs excellent and I think a real unsung hero is Paddy McGrath; absolutely vital to our chances that we have him back. Hopefully the Lacey injury not too serious but he took a huge knock in the warm up too.
    Odhran was excellent and hopefully Neil's hamstring is not too bad as Jim said afterwards.
    Leo very good again when it mattered, Jigger excellent again. A lot more needed and ive no doubt to come from our inside forwards.
    To echo one of the posters earlier; as much as we owe Monaghan; I would much rather meet Armagh and hopefully beat them as they have given me some of my worst drives home after matches. If this is Jim's last year I would love to see him orchestrate that victory. I think they have a real good chance of beating Monaghan too.
    Watched the game when I got home; McGlynn like the Frank of old again which is vital and centrally involved in Jiggers goal which I didn't realise at the time.
    Overall I am very optimistic as I feel there is a lot of improvement there and to echo Redsoxsfan; if, and its a big if, we can hold our opponents in the final to 13/14 then I'm hopeful the planned drive to Dgl after the game will be worth it otherwise it'll be back to Dublin in a fit of rage like last year!

One final thing gave up on Sunday game at Ladies Camogie; who were 3 nominations for MOM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

SM746 wrote: »
    One final thing gave up on Sunday game at Ladies Camogie; who were 3 nominations for MOM?

Leo, Odhran and Frank. Odhran won. Think I would have had Jigger in the running too, but meh, he'll have other opportunities hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Bit worried bout Karls injury-hes had alot in last 2 years and they all add up at this stage of his career, I think he needs as much time as possible to get back to his full fitness- wasnt quite there against Derry. Same story for big Neil.

Durkans kickouts were good today but Antrim made it very easy for him.

Personally I think this Monaghan are better than the Tyrone teams we beat in last 3 years, particularly physically.

I hear Oisin Mc Conville was quite confident that Armagh would win semi-lookin forward to watchin it knowin we re already there.

Once again; Donegal fans that travelled were magnificent!

On this, quite a few didn't make it in until after the Minor game. Granted, the early throw in time probably didn't help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Plusses for me from yesterday.

Jigger, a breath of fresh air in attack, unpredictable, fast and fearless
    Odhran, I think this lad could be a super player over the coming years, strong, composed and knows how to take a point. He lorded midfield in the second half - all he needs is a bit more belief which I'm sure he will gain with each match
    MgGlynn, with Karl out once again it was up to Frank to take on the driving role and he was magnificent yesterday
    Durcan, his kick outs are superb - admittedly Antrim let him at it a bit but still it's great to see the work on the training ground being so successful on the day
    3-16, on a day when our full forward line all put in a poor shift - that's a decent tally!

Concerns
    Neil Gallagher, 15 minutes is all we got so you would have to wonder if we will see much more of Neil this year - hopefully it's nothing serious but it's not looking good for him
    Paddy, I was really hoping Paddy could bring his club form to county level this year but so far it's not happening and as RSF said, I think he might be best coming off the bench
    Colm, I really feel sorry for Colm on days like that. Every time he received the ball he had a man on either arm meaning it was very hard for him to even turn never mind try and get a shot in. The only thing is, if he is double teamed then someone else is free so he's worth having in there for reputation alone, but I would like to see him back knocking over points from play again soon.

Overall I think we achieved what was required - a comfortable win and hopefully none of the injuries are serious. RSF a massive plus one on Jim - I really hope he doesn't stop at the end of this year as we really are very lucky to have him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Was at the match and came away hoping that we can improve by another 30% in intensity for the Ulster final. This means we must have a stronger first half performance - 10-15 minutes of dominance at least.

Good second half display but aren't Antrim a Division 4 team? The fact that we are pressing higher up the field and contesting primary possession is good but it also means that our full back line is more exposed should teams kick it long or break through the defensive line.

Odhran McNiallis was excellent and to me the standout performance. Great to see Darragh O Connor putting away some classy scores. The middle 8 all performed well and but there must be some concern about the lack of scores from full forward line. I though Paddy McBrearty should have been subbed earlier. His decision making in moving further out the field to win possession is poor when he should be occupying space closer to goals.

I would prefer Armagh obviously as Monaghan are a completely different proposition and are the in-form team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Btw kick outs were good and demonstrated lots of training ground practice and rehearsals. Cluxton has raised the bar in this respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

One of the big imponderables at the start of this championship, was whether Donegal could rebuild confidence from last year and get back to or near 2012 levels.

The kind draw has helped rebuild confidence and momentum but the fitness concerns re Lacey and Gallagher and the form concerns re McFadden and McBrearty allied to the absence of McHugh and Kavanagh (to date) mean that they are unlikely to get back to 2012 levels even though the squad looks much stronger.

As usual, Ulster is almost impossible to call but whoever comes through, will have a right chance to mug Dublin in the Semis.

I'm really looking forward to the 2 remaining games in Ulster.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

One of the big imponderables at the start of this championship, was whether Donegal could rebuild confidence from last year and get back to or near 2012 levels.

The kind draw has helped rebuild confidence and momentum but the fitness concerns re Lacey and Gallagher and the form concerns re McFadden and McBrearty allied to the absence of McHugh and Kavanagh (to date) mean that they are unlikely to get back to 2012 levels even though the squad looks much stronger.

As usual, Ulster is almost impossible to call but whoever comes through, will have a right chance to mug Dublin in the Semis.

I'm really looking forward to the 2 remaining games in Ulster.

I've said it consistently. If we meet Dublin. We will beat them.

I am absolutely certain of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

I agree, there are very few teams capable of taking out Dublin but Donegal, Monaghan or even Meath are capable of it. Really hard to tell where Donegal are at the moment but great to see some new blood coming through. Will have concentrate on their 1st half performance & not rely on a blitz in the 3rd quarter of every game.

agfasfos wrote: »
    I agree, there are very few teams capable of taking out Dublin but Donegal, Monaghan or even Meath are capable of it. Really hard to tell where Donegal are at the moment but great to see some new blood coming through. Will have concentrate on their 1st half performance & not rely on a blitz in the 3rd quarter of every game.

Behave yourself.:D

I agree in the main though about our performances. Maybe we're saving ourselves for 3 complete 70 minute games!

Not sure Monagahan have it in them. They're a really good side but I still think they're abit wet behin the ears regarding the AI series.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

If Donegal recapture Ulster, I think we can all agree their rehabilitation will be fairly complete.

I thought that the Antrim game would be perfect for McBrearty and McFadden to lace up their shooting boots again but it didn't happen. It's a big ask for the younger lads to do it outside Ulster.

If things continue to plan then I'd agree that Donegal seem to be best equipped to rattle Dublin.

On present form, I can't see us lads from the Deep South doing much in Aug/Sept.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Was at the match and came away hoping that we can improve by another 30% in intensity for the Ulster final. This means we must have a stronger first half performance - 10-15 minutes of dominance at least.
    If we took our scores in the first half, we could have been at least 4/5 points clear at half time on Sunday.
    While we weren't exactly dominant in the first half, the game could well have been over by half time only for our wastefulness allowing Antrim stay in the game.

If we took our scores in the first half, we could have been at least 4/5 points clear at half time on Sunday.
    While we weren't exactly dominant in the first half, the game could well have been over by half time only for our wastefulness allowing Antrim stay in the game.

First half from play: 5/13 (38%)
    Second half from play: 11/19 (58%)

Is this the last year of the Ulster Final in Clones?

Edit: Just seen its scheduled to move in 2016

That soon? That saddens me.

I will miss it greatly and will never take to Casement. A dick measuring competition is all that is.

First half from play: 5/13 (38%)
    Second half from play: 11/19 (58%)
    Add in a few frees that Murphy usually puts over at ease and it's not great reading.
    I may be proved wrong by the actual stats but it seems like we're not as clinical this year as we could be. A lot of efforts dropped short, bad wides and missed frees are the headline grabbers in my "things we have to improve upon for August" list.

Were there not some sort of objections by local residents against the development of Casement that mean that date will likely be pushed out again?

Were there not some sort of objections by local residents against the development of Casement that mean that date will likely be pushed out again?

As far as I know they were overcome recently!

Yeah I'd take 2016 with a pinch of salt too; however Clones will certainly be missed by myself.

• Advertisement

That soon? That saddens me.

I will miss it greatly and will never take to Casement. A dick measuring competition is all that is.

Scheduled for 2016; id take that date with a pinch of salt. Was told at game on Sunday it was next year but thankfully not. Yeah ill miss Clones; some great days mixed with some horrible ones; hopefully and I pray to God we have at least 1 more great day there next month.

Same with Casement; been there 6/7times max and although I'm sure the redevelopment will look brilliant; its was always missing something that Clones had in my opinion; the parochial feel of Clones village or something I could never pinpoint what exactly.

On a side note; I can see an insane demand for tickets next month if Monaghan get there; they would be rightfully travelling in expectation this year.

However I just cannot shake my belief that Armagh will somehow beat Monaghan this weekend.

Add in a few frees that Murphy usually puts over at ease and it's not great reading.
    I may be proved wrong by the actual stats but it seems like we're not as clinical this year as we could be. A lot of efforts dropped short, bad wides and missed frees are the headline grabbers in my "things we have to improve upon for August" list.

Our scoring efficiency in 2012 was well above average. Our overall scoring efficiency on Sunday was just slightly better than average, but we had many more shots vs what we typically averaged in 2012.

Our half forward line has essentially been the difference in 2014 v 2012 in terms of scoring - Bradley, Mark McHugh and Walsh/McLoone contributed little or nothing whereas so far this year, Toye, McLoone, Jigger, MacNiallais have been match winners. I will be curious to see if that trend continues or if we revert to relying on Murphy and McFadden to provide the bulk of our scores.

Scheduled for 2016; id take that date with a pinch of salt. Was told at game on Sunday it was next year but thankfully not. Yeah ill miss Clones; some great days mixed with some horrible ones; hopefully and I pray to God we have at least 1 more great day there next month.

Same with Casement; been there 6/7times max and although I'm sure the redevelopment will look brilliant; its was always missing something that Clones had in my opinion; the parochial feel of Clones village or something I could never pinpoint what exactly.

On a side note; I can see an insane demand for tickets next month if Monaghan get there; they would be rightfully travelling in expectation this year.

However I just cannot shake my belief that Armagh will somehow beat Monaghan this weekend.

It's that for me. It's the essence of the GAA. It's not just a stadium event it's an entire town. Clones is no Monte Carlo (and I don't mean Mountcharles) but it has a certain charm and warmth to it. It is uniquely 'GAA' whatever that means nowadays. And we've had far more bad days than good there.

Don't get me wrong though, Casement will be a good asset for those in Belfast and I'm sure it will have a positive effect on the vicinity around the stadium but it's just does strike me as ever being capable of hosting a final with the warmth that clones does. I'm sure it will be a massive loss for the town too.

There's more to stadiums than how many pre-match packages the Ulster council can shift on Ulster final day. But as I've said before, you won't sell out a music concert in Clones will you.:rolleyes:

Donegal v Armagh in the minor final.

Another week to wait to find out our opposition. Monagahan have had a couple fo tough games now. You can make an argument for whether that will be a pro or a con.

On the evidence of their game v tyrone and today. I'm happy enough. I think we may have a complex bout them which is unwarranted.

For the second game in a row, Monaghan fail to close out the game properly. Ok, the McManus black card was harsh and they probably should have had a penalty just preceding that incident, but they were largely unimpressive. Armagh now get three starters back for suspension for the replay. Pity that Monaghan will likely have home field advantage again. I'd expect Monaghan to be better the next day out, I may even go to see it myself as it won't be on TV (unless RTE decide to stream, which is unlikely).

At least the Armagh minors won.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

For the second game in a row, Monaghan fail to close out the game properly. Ok, the McManus black card was harsh and they probably should have had a penalty just preceding that incident, but they were largely unimpressive. Armagh now get three starters back for suspension for the replay. Pity that Monaghan will likely have home field advantage again. I'd expect Monaghan to be better the next day out, I may even go to see it myself as it won't be on TV (unless RTE decide to stream, which is unlikely).

At least the Armagh minors won.

I think Armagh might have missed the boat, would expect Monaghan to get their act together before replay. Dont think Donegal have anything to fear from either side provided they show the same hunger & organisation from earlier matches. Need to play for 70 minutes & not rely on hitting form in 3rd quarter only.

Paddy McGrath injured playing for Ardara today.

Paddy McGrath injured playing for Ardara today.

Any idea on what he has injured / severity?

Any idea on what he has injured / severity?

Hamstring/unclear

• Advertisement

As above.

It's imperative we try and get as best a clean bull of health as we can.

To my mind the key questions are over:
    -Rory Kav
    -Big Neil
    -Karl
    -Paddy McGrath.

Also, the Boul Neil came off against Antrim but there;s been no real word about an injury as far as I know.

We need at least three of those four listed to be fit for the final.

Advertisement