Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Putting teams through 3 intense matches in 4 weeks with a 6 day turnaround to the AI semi final will always favour counties with a bigger panel and does disadvantage smaller ones, that's just obvious. Add in the dwindling attendances and it's clear the super 8s need to go. This isn't sour grapes, it's been the mood for quite a while now.

Anyway to the match. We saw Kilkenny qualify for the final last weekend through sheer honesty of effort and workrate. We didn't see that from our lads yesterday. Now some of these lads are young and won't have experienced what Mayo brought yesterday so this will hopefully be a learning experience for them. However others just didn't bring it on the day which is very disappointing as they knew what to expect.
    Ryan didn't get into it at all. Jamie continued his recent form. Not having a go at him but we need to be in a position where we can drop players in those situations. It would have done Jamie good as well I feel. I didn't expect us to panic quite as much as we did in the second half, even Murphy snatched at a chance, forcing it too much.
    Still the team is progressing and is young so it's hard to be too critical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

I know it’s possible for it to be a good experience and for us to lose. But my point is that the super 8s are doing us no favours. We can’t win it like this. Were we to get mayo in a QF after them falling in the back door we’d annihilate them, same as they did to us in 2013 and 2015. Saw as what happens most qualifiers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The fixtures just haven't fallen our way the last two years, and we've also gotten injuries at precisely the wrong time. Two away games last year, and a very difficult away game yesterday. If they were reversed and we had Mayo at home and Meath away, we'd be in a semi final. And unless we do an unprecedented three in a row in Ulster next year, we could end up in a group with both Kerry and Dublin

Too depressed to tune into the games today, and will see if I'll be able to watch next Saturday or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

The fixtures just haven't fallen our way the last two years, and we've also gotten injuries at precisely the wrong time. Two away games last year, and a very difficult away game yesterday. If they were reversed and we had Mayo at home and Meath away, we'd be in a semi final. And unless we do an unprecedented three in a row in Ulster next year, we could end up in a group with both Kerry and Dublin

Too depressed to tune into the games today, and will see if I'll be able to watch next Saturday or not
    Winning the province should really get you 2 home games in the super 8s (I know one team does). As it is, there is no tangible benefit of winning the provincial championships, as its luck of the draw which of the qualifier teams you get at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

We we literally in the hornets nest yesterday.

Literally?

• Advertisement

fullstop wrote: »
    Winning the province should really get you 2 home games in the super 8s (I know one team does). As it is, there is no tangible benefit of winning the provincial championships, as its luck of the draw which of the qualifier teams you get at home.

Yeah, technically two home, one away, but the greed and short sightedness of Padraig Duffy and the GAA meant the 'Croke Park' games were inserted in last minute. I don't think people would be complaining about Dublin's two home games if this was the case. Even so, if we'd managed to scrape through this group, we wouldn't have made it past next weekend regardless in my opinion, but could have potentially been good for the team's development

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Brego888 wrote: »
    Literally?

🥴

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Yeah, technically two home, one away, but the greed and short sightedness of Padraig Duffy and the GAA meant the 'Croke Park' games were inserted in last minute. I don't think people would be complaining about Dublin's two home games if this was the case. Even so, if we'd managed to scrape through this group, we wouldn't have made it past next weekend regardless in my opinion, but could have potentially been good for the team's development

I don't think that was the case.

Croke Park games for provincial winners has been the case for decades with the exception of the first year of the qualifiers in 2001.

I don't think that was the case.

Croke Park games for provincial winners has been the case for decades with the exception of the first year of the qualifiers in 2001.

Which is exactly the spin they put on it after they were called out on the 'one home, one away, one neutral' promise which Duffy spoke about in detail while trying to sell the Super 8's. Initially when it was discussed, the two home games was one of the proposals, all I was saying is that it could be a fairer reward for winning your province. Anyway, makes no odds now, and as I already said, we're out because of a combination of luck of the draw and failing to put in a performance yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,371 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Which is exactly the spin they put on it after they were called out on the 'one home, one away, one neutral' promise which Duffy spoke about in detail while trying to sell the Super 8's. Initially when it was discussed, the two home games was one of the proposals, all I was saying is that it could be a fairer reward for winning your province. Anyway, makes no odds now, and as I already said, we're out because of a combination of luck of the draw and failing to put in a performance yesterday

Can you send a link to where a "neutral game" was mentioned rather than a "Croke Park game" by the GAA

I know it's always been confusion around here about people thinking one game was "neutral" but I have never heard it from the GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭SeanJ09

doc_17 wrote: »
    I know it’s possible for it to be a good experience and for us to lose. But my point is that the super 8s are doing us no favours. We can’t win it like this. Were we to get mayo in a QF after them falling in the back door we’d annihilate them, same as they did to us in 2013 and 2015. Saw as what happens most qualifiers.

Yesterday essentially was a knockout qf like the old system bar Mayo playing the game at home? Donegal had serious momentum after winning Ulster and the display v Kerry. Mayo essentially had fallen in via the back door and the two games v Kerry and Meath. Not sure what you are getting at here.

Can you send a link to where a "neutral game" was mentioned rather than a "Croke Park game" by the GAA

I know it's always been confusion around here about people thinking one game was "neutral" but I have never heard it from the GAA.

Not dragging this thread into a conversation about structures, but for a start, Duffy talked about it in an interview (well danced around it) with Wooly Parkinson a few years ago when trying to sell the concept. And in that years congress, the Galway delegate even mentioned 'neutral game' in his opening remarks such was the confusion created around it. Anyway, I'm out, this has been discussed to death in other threads and is nothing to do with my original point

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Crazy lack of composure last night and if last night showed anything it`s if Ryan McHugh or Michael Murphy are having an off day then we are hosed. Admittedly had we Eoghan Ban it would have helped, but for me if we are going to progress it`s vital that we get Odhran MacNiallais back playing.
    Tightening up our defense would do no harm either. Every Mayo attack cause sheer panic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭shockframe

Ye played some decent football this season but ye didnt look comfortable at all with the ferocity of Mayo last night.

Something similar happened against Tyrone last year.

There's a good side in Donegal but June and August are different beasts. It will require a huge lift in intensity to get near an All Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Not dragging this thread into a conversation about structures, but for a start, Duffy talked about it in an interview (well danced around it) with Wooly Parkinson a few years ago when trying to sell the concept. And in that years congress, the Galway delegate even mentioned 'neutral game' in his opening remarks such was the confusion created around it. Anyway, I'm out, this has been discussed to death in other threads and is nothing to do with my original point

No, Duffy definitely talked about a croke Park round of games in that interview. I remember Colm pointing out that would give Dublin 2 home games to which Duffy had no answer.

It’s a pity the Donegal county board made such a balls of the motion to Congress. A properly worded proposal might have had a chance of passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

6 teams have won the all Ireland “falling in the back door” and Mayo got to 2 finals recently from back door so to say we would have annihilated them in Croke Park is fantasy stuff.

The super 8s haven’t been kind to us because we weren’t good enough to qualify. If we weren’t good enough to beat Tyrone last year or Mayo this year then we’re just not one of the 4 best teams in the country. Mayo have more injuries than Donegal and had to play more games, and have a terrible record in castlebar so being well beaten by them suggests we’re nowhere near ready to take on Dublin in 6 days time.

harpsman wrote: »

6 teams have won the all Ireland “falling in the back door” and Mayo got to 2 finals recently from back door so to say we would have annihilated them in Croke Park is fantasy stuff.

The super 8s haven’t been kind to us because we weren’t good enough to qualify. If we weren’t good enough to beat Tyrone last year or Mayo this year then we’re just not one of the 4 best teams in the country. Mayo have more injuries than Donegal and had to play more games, and have a terrible record in castlebar so being well beaten by them suggests we’re nowhere near ready to take on Dublin in 6 days time.

Tyrone and Kerry were great teams and were well used to winning All Irelands. Tyrone are in the last 4 this year, we beat them this year. They’ve lost twice, we’ve lost once.

Are Kerry better than us? You honestly believe they are in the last 4 for any other reason than they were lucky to get Mayo at home after Mayo played 4 straight weeks picking up injuries?

My main point, which we’re getting sidetracked from, is that Donegal will never excel in a league format like this. We just don’t have the squad and the distances that players have to travel for trainings during the week compared to others is huge.

If you think the super 8s is fair on the players or supporters then you’re mad. Or not travelling to them.

SeanJ09 wrote: »

Yesterday essentially was a knockout qf like the old system bar Mayo playing the game at home? Donegal had serious momentum after winning Ulster and the display v Kerry. Mayo essentially had fallen in via the back door and the two games v Kerry and Meath. Not sure what you are getting at here.

Look at what Kerry did to Mayo on day 1. Donegal would have done the same. Luck of the draw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

Pish.

In fairness that’s the best way to describe it.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

i see Kilcar won Div.1 today with 3 games to spare, all eyes on the Club Championship now, any word on when its starting?

• Advertisement

i see Kilcar won Div.1 today with 3 games to spare, all eyes on the Club Championship now, any word on when its starting?

After the leagues wrap up. Should be between Kilcar and Gaoth Dobhair, if Gaoth Dobhair have all their big guns and their trainer from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

So that’s it. The curtain comes down on another intercounty season- a bit of an anti-climax if you ask me but I think that’s more to do with my expectations more than anything else. I was sure we’d make a semi-final this year and I think we should have, however, nn Saturday night we were beaten by a team with more hunger and passion and have no qualms about the result. Fair play to Mayo I say. I know there’s a lot of debate about the Super 8’s but from my own point of view I think it’s a good thing. Naturally there’s a few tweaks to be made, like having the final round of games 6 days before a semi-final is ridiculous, but by and large its good. Conor McManus made a good point in last night’s SG that players are in favour of it. Every year you hear the argument about the ratio of training to games, well the S8 is one way of addressing this. Also, Saturday’s game had all the traits of the old format in that it was a winner take all scenario. Had Cork pushed on v Tyrone and actually beaten them, then the other group would have been similar with Tyrone needing a win against Dublin to progress.

Regarding the match on Saturday, I don’t understand how so many of our ‘big’ players under performed. Murphy – again – was our standout performer but unfortunately we don’t have other leaders in the pack who can at least share the burden when backs are to the wall. LMcC was a disappointment once he came on and I think when we were getting a foothold in the game in the second half it would have been a great time to swap him out for Frank McG. His cool head and experience would have been welcomed at that time. Leo’s Glenties teammate got turned over way to often in the game for my liking but hopefully this experience will stand to him. Jamie B has had a poor super 8’s. He started out as a possible candidate for an all-star but will be lucky to get a nomination now. Paddy McB might need another season after his injury to get right back up there. I thought ML was average all season and while I was critical of NO’D earlier in the season he’s done well since. Another lad that will learn from the experience. I thought StephenMcM had a decent season and could slot in as a PaddyMCG replacement in the coming years. The two Gweedore lads did ok, but I’d rather they work on their defensive duties than attacking skills. Outside of Murphy and McHugh the guy who most pleased me this season was Hugh McFadden. He’s come on leaps and bounds since the debacle that was the Ulster U21 in Celtic park a few years back.

I think for 2020 it’s vital that we compete well in Div1. With all due respects to Clare, Tipp, Fermanagh, Armagh, and Kildare had we had the experience of playing the other Div1 teams this year, Saturdays results might have been different.

Since Murphy’s introduction back against Armagh he’s been phenomenal all season and I hope he lifts the player of the year award. I think Patton will get an all Star for his laser like kickouts, and a possible All Star for McHugh.
    I wish Eoghan Ban a speedy recovery, and to all the players and staff a well deserved rest over the winter months. We only know too well the sacrifices, effort and commitment these players and staff give the county cause.

Donegal Abu!

PS – What was Noreen Doherty at FFS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

PS – What was Noreen Doherty at FFS!

What?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    What?

Ahhh mistaken identity. Aideen it was.
    Let's say she was been overly picky at the Mayo game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Great post Bob.

For the 2nd year running, we exit in very disappointing fashion. Of course there is no good way to go out, but it's impossible to take any positives from a woeful performance.

Mayo well worthy of their win, and they showed great intensity and tackling ability, but that doesn't explain why we looked so poor.

The analysis on the Sunday Game was damning and accurate. Whelan's comparison to Kilkenny v Limerick was spot on.

Poor decision making and a lack of composure shown, especially in the 2nd half. An absolute inability to get in and win breaking ball.

Ryan McHugh is a fantastic footballer but was a complete liability on Saturday. We need 6 backs who can defend, we can't carry him in that position, he needs to be named as a forward. Durcan was my man of the match, but watching it back it was shocking that Ryan was so far away from him for some of his scores. Why was that?

Lads like Thompson, Langan, J McGee, not physical enough. Great to kick a score, but we need more from our half forwards.

Very disappointing Super 8s for Jamie Brennan. Yes he was tightly marked, and some of the ball he was given was crap, but he needed to do more. It almost feels like Paddy coming back has had an impact on his performance but impossible to say why.

Was worried Patton was going to have a meltdown in the first half, but he recovered well. He pinged one absolute beauty to Langan on the stand side in the 2nd half that we wasted. And at least he was showing an urgency also. Am excellent season and a great asset to build on in the years ahead.

For all his limitations, Hugh McFadden at least puts himself about. Clearly needs to learn a lot about the sweeper position if he is to remain there. In fairness, when I first saw him playing it was at full forward for Killybegs.

I thought Stephen McMenamin did well. At least he got stuck in. Lucky to avoid the line, but that's fine. Better than standing off.

Agree on O'Baoil, good going forward, needs to show more as a defender.

Rochford has got plenty of credit for what we have done well, only fair there are questions as to how we appeared to be do badly prepared to play against his former team.

Not clear to me if Paddy McBrearty was fully fit.

We need to try and build a bit more depth. If Gillespie can come back and show the kind of form he showed before the injuries, he could make a big difference to the defence. But he has missed a lot of football. Eoghan Bán will hopefully be back for the League.

It would be nice if MacNiallais made himself available again, but he would not have been up to it in a game like Saturday's

I don't know why Carroll was in and out of the panel. Would be an asset.

Paul Brennan, E Doherty... Not good enough.

It was obvious Neil McGee wasn't going to start based on the warm up. Himself and Frank warmed up lightly away from the rest. I wonder if Frank was injured also. Saturday was a day for his experience. You would wonder if he will bother next year given how little he was used this year. Am sure there will be questions on Neil as well but who knows with him.

It was a good year that finished badly. Staying in Division One and making a semi final have to be the goals next year. Michael turned 30 yesterday. Just saying.

If there is one thing that is really needed to be addressed in training, it`s how we deal with breaking ball from restarts. I remarked against Meath in Ballybofey first game of the super 8`s on how little ball we won in that situation and the problems Meath caused us because of it.
    Saturday night in Castlebar was the same in that I only counted one occasion where we came away clean with a breaking ball and the few other times one of our lads got his hands on it he had no out options and got swallowed up for a turnover.
    I`m not criticising our midfield, we cannot be standing back expecting them to catch every ball which is what we seem to be doing

Great post Bob.

For the 2nd year running, we exit in very disappointing fashion. Of course there is no good way to go out, but it's impossible to take any positives from a woeful performance.

Mayo well worthy of their win, and they showed great intensity and tackling ability, but that doesn't explain why we looked so poor.

The analysis on the Sunday Game was damning and accurate. Whelan's comparison to Kilkenny v Limerick was spot on.

Poor decision making and a lack of composure shown, especially in the 2nd half. An absolute inability to get in and win breaking ball.

Ryan McHugh is a fantastic footballer but was a complete liability on Saturday. We need 6 backs who can defend, we can't carry him in that position, he needs to be named as a forward. Durcan was my man of the match, but watching it back it was shocking that Ryan was so far away from him for some of his scores. Why was that?

Lads like Thompson, Langan, J McGee, not physical enough. Great to kick a score, but we need more from our half forwards.

Very disappointing Super 8s for Jamie Brennan. Yes he was tightly marked, and some of the ball he was given was crap, but he needed to do more. It almost feels like Paddy coming back has had an impact on his performance but impossible to say why.

Was worried Patton was going to have a meltdown in the first half, but he recovered well. He pinged one absolute beauty to Langan on the stand side in the 2nd half that we wasted. And at least he was showing an urgency also. Am excellent season and a great asset to build on in the years ahead.

For all his limitations, Hugh McFadden at least puts himself about. Clearly needs to learn a lot about the sweeper position if he is to remain there. In fairness, when I first saw him playing it was at full forward for Killybegs.

I thought Stephen McMenamin did well. At least he got stuck in. Lucky to avoid the line, but that's fine. Better than standing off.

Rochford has got plenty of credit for what we have done well, only fair there are questions as to how we appeared to be do badly prepared to play against his former team.

We need to try and build a bit more depth. If Gillespie can come back and show the kind of form he showed before the injuries, he could make a big difference to the defence. But he has missed a lot of football. Eoghan Bán will hopefully be back for the League.

It would be nice if MacNiallais made himself available again, but he would not have been up to it in a game like Saturday's

It was obvious Neil McGee wasn't going to start based on the warm up. Himself and Frank warmed up lightly away from the rest. I wonder if Frank was injured also. Saturday was a day for his experience. You would wonder if he will bother next year given how little he was used this year. Am sure there will be questions on Neil as well but who knows with him.

It was a good year that finished badly. Staying in Division One and making a semi final have to be the goals next year. Michael turned 30 yesterday. Just saying.

Excellent post, and couldn`t agree more on Ryan McHugh.

Excellent footballer but wasted at wing-back in games like Saturday. Start him at wing forward and let him roam wherever he wants .With his pace and movement he would sicken any wing-back.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Great post Bob.

Very good synopsis of our season. We did exceptionally well in Ulster, played football that was easy on the eye and we did look well positioned to make the semi finals. Our defence looked suspect through the middle and we did rely on the percentage game of putting up big scores while we were always liable to leak a few at the back. A lot of young players managed to stick with the intensity of the Kerry game but Saturday against Mayo was a step to far and too soon for many of them. It was one of those days when nothing went right for us, Michael was left to carry the team and those days have long past. I’m sure it will be a learning experience for all, we have brilliant players and a lot who have yet to reach their full potential, I wish Mayo well, the game against Dublin will be vital for them, they’ve put it up to them numerous times in recent years and I have the feeling that if they fall short again this year the effect on their moral will finally bring to an end this particular group of players aspirations of an All Ireland title after all these years.

Well done to all the county players who played for their clubs yesterday when they really needed them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Well lads and lasses, that's us for another year. The question I want to ask is what happens now for next year?

Will Paddy McBrearty be better, was he rushed back a bit this year? There are professional sportspeople out for longer than he was dealing with cruciate stuff (see AOC at Liverpool), while he held his own in most matches you have to wonder was he just that bit more apprehensive than usual, for fear of aggravating something? Who else do you think there is more to come from next year?

Who's going to return to the panel? Do ye reckon MacNiallais will be back? I've often wondered what Mark McHugh is up to these days. Any young guns waiting to be called in? I liked the look of Naoise O Baoile for Gaoth Dobhair.

I'd be interested to see what the thoughts of better informed football fans would be on the capacity within the county to improve, as while I would follow the inter county game I don't pay much attention to the club game.

Advertisement