Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Can I please remind everyone that it is not OK to post abuse about another county just because you're posting on your county's thread.
    Lots of posts have been deleted as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

https://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/sport/438298/abbey-vs-gym-donegal-town-to-become-a-satellite-gym-for-donegal-gaa-teams.html

Jesus that's some deal for Abbey Vocational, where I went to school our 'gym' closer resembled a cattle shed :P

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

moghrasa wrote: »
    https://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/sport/438298/abbey-vs-gym-donegal-town-to-become-a-satellite-gym-for-donegal-gaa-teams.html

Jesus that's some deal for Abbey Vocational, where I went to school our 'gym' closer resembled a cattle shed :P

Ours was a slab of concrete, often referred to as the ‘playground’.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

So Four Masters drop to Divison 3 and Buncrana go back down with them.

Ardara back in Division 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Aodh Ruadh beat Killybegs yesterday. That's Aodh Ruadh, St Nauls, Killybegs all level on points. Aodh Ruadh v St Nauls play each other next. It'll be an interesting finish to that league.

That's Milford relegated after losing to Bundoran yesterday on a fairly novel scoreline 5-11 to 5-12.

You'd imagine McCumhaills will be going straight back down as they have Gaoth Dobhair away next.

Great to see Ardara go back up. Read that big Molloy did his cruciate though so they may forget about Championship. Not that they had any hope with the group they had.

• Advertisement

I was surprised to see Paddy McBrearty lining out yesterday. Maybe it was to meet a quota of games to get a league medal?

Or maybe the last 2 weeks have brought him on or he wasn't that badly hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    So Four Masters drop to Divison 3 and Buncrana go back down with them.

Ardara back in Division 1.

That is a serious drop down the leagues for Four Masters.

Especially when you consider their catchment area population and the number of players from the club that played county senior in the recent past.

charlie14 wrote: »
    That is a serious drop down the leagues for Four Masters.

Especially when you consider their catchment area population and the number of players from the club that played county senior in the recent past.

It's absolutely no surprise. I called it a few years ago, if anything they've done well to hold it off a year. They are in big bother.

It's absolutely no surprise. I called it a few years ago, if anything they've done well to hold it off a year. They are in big bother.

I remember they had a relegation play-off with Ardara a few years ago alright.
    What is the problem do you know, internal or other sports ?

charlie14 wrote: »
    I remember they had a relegation play-off with Ardara a few years ago alright.
    What is the problem do you know, internal or other sports ?

Just a lack of quality really.

They had a good run underage between 2000-2007 and had good players off the back of that added to the real class they had in Shane Carr, barry Monaghan, Micky Doc, Benny etc but theres a a huge gap there now.

I think they’re going well and putting a big effort in are underage. Their 16’s won the league and their minor team is supposed to be ok (can’t verify that myself). It’s so hard to get out of division 3 thought especially if you’ve limited resources.

• Advertisement

Just a lack of quality really.

They had a good run underage between 2000-2007 and had good players off the back of that added to the real class they had in Shane Carr, barry Monaghan, Micky Doc, Benny etc but theres a a huge gap there now.

I think they’re going well and putting a big effort in are underage. Their 16’s won the league and their minor team is supposed to be ok (can’t verify that myself). It’s so hard to get out of division 3 thought especially if you’ve limited resources.

They had some great players coming through from those years.As well as the above,there was also Barry Dunnion, Karl Lacey Paul Durcan. Looks as if they may have taken their eye of the ball at under age in the interim. Big soccer and rugby area as well which probably did not help.
    Hopefully they can bounce back. That new gym arrangement with the secondary school should be a help you would imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Having one of the best footballers in Lacey was of no benefit really to that club in the last 10 years. Brought him up to have Donegal take the best from him. Had be been allowed play a bit more be could have brought things on.

doc_17 wrote: »
    Having one of the best footballers in Lacey was of no benefit really to that club in the last 10 years. Brought him up to have Donegal take the best from him. Had be been allowed play a bit more be could have brought things on.

That is a difficulty experienced by all clubs nowadays with county players spending so much time away from the clubs that nurtured their talents in the first place.

The only trade off for such clubs is that having a high profile county player like Lacey will possibly encourage more youngsters to join. While that may help in the future, if a club is struggling, in the present it is of no great benefit.

doc_17 wrote: »

Ah depends how you view it. No doubt his club appearances were reduced being involved with Donegal but that's the same for everyone.

Can't overstate the impact Karl will have had on young fellas around the area playing the game. I never had Donegal Town down as a huge footballing town really but he'll have definitely helped change that culture (and underage is strong now).

They have a couple of good teams at underage alright. But where was their reward for producing him?

I suppose you could look at it a number of ways. I just think it’s too heavily weighted against clubs.

So what's this suspension for the County Secretary and the fella from Letterkenny Gaels all about?

So what's this suspension for the County Secretary and the fella from Letterkenny Gaels all about?

An underage mentor fielded an overage player and has been banned.

Co sec and LG fella have gone off on a solo run and drafted letters in support of an appeal for a reduced sentence. They didn’t have authorization from county board to do so.

Charged with discrediting the association.

Few issues, it’s not unusual for the body who have proposed a ban to write a letter of support / reccomend that the ban be reduced. For some offenses it’s a necessary part of the appeals process.

I don’t know the specifics yet but reading between the lines can only assume it’s discrediting the association by ‘Wilful disregard of the Rules of the Association or lawful directions of authorised Units of the Association’.

I’m not sure what specific rule says co sec can’t go on a solo run but I’m sure there will be one.

Punishment sounds harsh but the Rule is what the rule is. In terms of going forward you’d wonder if she’s better just accepting it and taking the slap on the wrist and moving on instead of dragging this through the rest of the appeal process.

Deserves an 8 week ban for her sideline nibbles in castlebar if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,498 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Deserves an 8 week ban for her sideline nibbles in castlebar if you ask me.

:D:D:D

I see no Ref turned up to Gaoth Dobhair / MacCumhaills. Poor.

A ref turned up 15 minutes after throw in as far as I read but MacCumhaills had left. Nothing to play for anyway, right?

A lot of refs seemed to be doing 2 games in the same afternoon at the weekend, that could be normal?

• Advertisement

And it's not like MacCumhaills really turned up for their game against St Eunans....

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Mac Cumhaills v Gweedore scheduled to throw in at 3pm ...Mac Cumhaills waited until 4pm Ref arrived at 4.15pm ..,mainly because they have players (like all clubs ) based in other parts of the country who needed to back to Dublin etc

Murphy14 wrote:
    Mac Cumhaills v Gweedore scheduled to throw in at 3pm ...Mac Cumhaills waited until 4pm Ref arrived at 4.15pm ..,mainly because they have players (like all clubs ) based in other parts of the country who needed to back to Dublin etc

Piece on it in the Democrat today.

It was my mistake on this occasion and my apologies to the clubs, the players and their supporters but there is simply too much chopping and changing of fixtures by clubs,” said the referees’ administrator, who acknowledged that was not the case of Gaoth Dobhair and MacCumhaills."

Boo hoo. She sent two refs to the Bridge. Her fault, nobody else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Piece on it in the Democrat today.

The last line in the article might have something to do with the game not going ahead...

So Division 1 is settled.

Division 2 relegation is settled. St Naul's and Ballyshannon drew at the weekend so if Killybegs avoid defeat in Termon on Saturday evening they go up along with Ardara. If Killybegs lose, and both the others win, Ballyshannon go up. If St Naul's win and Killybegs and Ballyshannon both lose then St Naul's go up. Termon away is anything but an easy task and they can be a cantankerous bunch so it's not quite done yet.

In Division 3 Naomh Mhuire have dropped down to Division 4, that will hit them hard. They lost Harry Harden this year and they've a few other boys away and they're not blessed with numbers. They should have too much quality to come straight back up but it's not where you want to be. The other relegation spot is between Newtoncunningham and Dunkineeley with Newton a point ahead as it stands. Newton away to Red Hughs and Dunkineely at home to Naomh Mhuire.

Top of Division 3 is interesting, It's Downings top by 2 points with Burt second and they play each other last in Downings. Downings won the reverse by 9 points so it's unlikely Burt will win away by 10 and win the league on head to head. If Burt lose they can be leapfrogged by St Mary's or Malin who are both 1 point behind Burt. It would be a massive achievement if Convoy were to get into Division 2.

Division 4 is settled with Letterkenny Gales and Moville up.

Looking forward to getting the leagues out of the way and onto the real stuff. :pac:

And it's not like MacCumhaills really turned up for their game against St Eunans....

It wouldn’t have mattered anyway after the St Michaels and Glenswilly carve up.

With an eye on next year, good to see Oisin Gallen do well yesterday and Kieran Gillespie make his return for Gaoth Dobhair.

No shocks at Senior level anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Not a surprise but every result seems to show four masters falling further and further.

Great on gallen and Gillespie. I think we really need the latter in the team.we are blessed with forwards right now, don't feel we have the same level of backs coming through and a few crucial players time is limited

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Was going to post that it seemed like teams are playing more attacking football until I saw Gweedore result!

Hard to see past Kilcar or Gweedore. Malin or Four Masters to be relegated or maybe Dungloe.

Intermediate is fairly open. Buncrana should be easily winning the junior.

Advertisement