Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Yeah, senior is looking very predictable but should be good semis. Milford won't be happy with that draw.

Nails vs Glen should be a good game in the intermediate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Doesn’t matter now but i saw on the donegal gaa website scoring difference was given as a ratio of points scored over points conceded. Would that ratio have been used to decide between 2 sides? It very much favoured low scoring teams. I thought they’d be trying to encourage high scoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

harpsman wrote: »
    Doesn’t matter now but i saw on the donegal gaa website scoring difference was given as a ratio of points scored over points conceded. Would that ratio have been used to decide between 2 sides? It very much favoured low scoring teams. I thought they’d be trying to encourage high scoring.

It would have come into play (league) if 3 teams finished on level points. Stand to be corrected on this, but I was always of the view that it would usually benefit the team who had scored the most.

I know from looking at Division 2 the last day Ballyshannon would have gone up and while they don't seem great defensivley, offensively they had a load of scores racked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

It would have come into play (league) if 3 teams finished on level points. Stand to be corrected on this, but I was always of the view that it would usually benefit the team who had scored the most.

I know from looking at Division 2 the last day Ballyshannon would have gone up and while they don't seem great defensivley, offensively they had a load of scores racked up.

No, I'm pretty sure it favours low scoring if you have a positive score difference
    eg
    Team A Score 10, Concede 5-points diff +5, Ratio 2.0

Team B Score 30, Concede 20-points diff +10, Ratio 1.5

Team A has a better ratio despite having a worse "goal difference".

harpsman wrote: »
    No, I'm pretty sure it favours low scoring if you have a positive score difference
    eg
    Team A Score 10, Concede 5-points diff +5, Ratio 2.0

Team B Score 30, Concede 20-points diff +10, Ratio 1.5

Team A has a better ratio despite having a worse "goal difference".

Very interesting. Would never have really picked up on that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Anyone think there’ll be any surprises this weekend in the QFs? Personally I don’t. But on the plus side it’s gonna make tasty semis whatever the draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

doc_17 wrote: »
    Anyone think there’ll be any surprises this weekend in the QFs? Personally I don’t. But on the plus side it’s gonna make tasty semis whatever the draw.

No

Hard to see it. Just a shame really that one of the game RTE are showing involves the purveyor of vomit from Fermanagh. Hope to get to O'Donnell park on sunday and possibly get the Naomh Conaill game aswell.

Intermediate is a bit harder to call and should be interesting enough but don't think will get to any of those games unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Hard to see it. Just a shame really that one of the game RTE are showing involves the purveyor of vomit from Fermanagh. Hope to get to O'Donnell park on sunday and possibly get the Naomh Conaill game aswell.

Intermediate is a bit harder to call and should be interesting enough but don't think will get to any of those games unfortunately.

Seen Killybegs earlier this year and the way RG has them set will not make for pleasant viewing surprised the Gweedore didn’t feature for a televised game

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Proposed league fixtures

4 'home' games - Dublin and Throne in Ballybofey; Kerry in Ballyshannon; Banty in Letterkenny.

Away to Galway (yay), Mayo and Meath.

Have these changed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

doc_17 wrote:
    Have these changed?

Don't think anything is confirmed?

Six Donegal players nominated for all stars
    Shaun Patton
    Stephen Mc Menamin
    Ryan Mc Hugh
    Michael Murphy
    Patrick Mc Brearty
    Jamie Brennan

I’d say Murphy and McMenamin are the only realistic contenders there.

I’d say Murphy and McMenamin are the only realistic contenders there.

Agree with ya I really believe Mc Menamin should be nailed on winner had a big year in a full back line with Fitsimons & O’ Sullivan..has for Murphy no debate immense again this year

Don’t think McMenamin has a prayer of getting one myself.

Murphy should get one but it’s touch and go.

McMenamin's best chance is if Murphy doesn't get one and they feel they need to give donegal an all star.

There's about 9 forwards who deserve an all star but only about 3 backs.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Proposed league fixtures

4 'home' games - Dublin and Throne in Ballybofey; Kerry in Ballyshannon; Banty in Letterkenny.

Away to Galway (yay), Mayo and Meath.

The proposed schedule is:
    Sat January 25 (home to Mayo, MacCumhaill Park)
    Sun February 2 (away to Meath)
    Sun February 9 (home to Galway)
    Sat February 22 (away to Dublin)
    Sun March 1 (home to Monaghan)
    Sat March 14 (home to Tyrone, MacCumhaill Park)
    Sun March 22 (away to Kerry)

Pretty different schedule now. No galway pints but looks like a nice enough schedule for avoiding relegation.

The proposed schedule is: Sat January 25 (home to Mayo, MacCumhaill Park) Sun February 2 (away to Meath) Sun February 9 (home to Galway) Sat February 22 (away to Dublin) Sun March 1 (home to Monaghan) Sat March 14 (home to Tyrone, MacCumhaill Park) Sun March 22 (away to Kerry)

Pretty different schedule now. No galway pints but looks like a nice enough schedule for avoiding relegation.

Yeah, less fun, but potentially easier...

Still just a proposal mind.

Some collapse by Gaoth Dobhair/some comeback by Realt na Mara

Gaoth Dobhair get the job done AET.

• Advertisement

Gaoth Dobhair v Kilcar
    St Eunans v Naomh Conaill

Intermediate

Aodh Ruadh v Naomh Colmcille/Cloich Cheann Fhaola
    Naomh Bríd v St Nauls

Junior

Buncrana v Convoy
    Na Rossa v Letterkenny Gaels

Not certain what the bookies were saying but looks like the best two teams drew each other in each of the championships.

Any of the 4 could win the senior but I'd still fancy kilcar

Kilcar v Gaoth Dobhair deferred coverage of the game on TG4 on Sunday evening.

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Aodh Ruadh v Naomh Colmcille/Cloich Cheann Fhaola

Cloich Cheann Fhaola squeak through.

Would have thought they would have been well able for Naomh Colmcille - perhaps missing players due to the Monday night throw in. Jason McGee came on and kicked the winning point.

Cloughaneely just not a championship team at all by the looks of it. Terrible conditions last night and all the rest of it but for a team who hold their own in division 1 the way they continually underperform against teams in division 3 is bizarre.

It’ll be tough on them to recover in time to play Aodh Ruadh on Saturday evening.

So Cloich Cheann Fhaola and Aodh Ruadh goes to a replay after it finished level AET.

St Nauls beat Naomh Bríd by a point in the other Intermediate semi final.

Junior Final will be Buncrana against Letterkenny Gaels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Cloughaneely just not a championship team at all by the looks of it. Terrible conditions last night and all the rest of it but for a team who hold their own in division 1 the way they continually underperform against teams in division 3 is bizarre.

It’ll be tough on them to recover in time to play Aodh Ruadh on Saturday evening.
    I think this is a little unfair not withstanding today's result. The club has no great tradition of winning championships only having won 5 in total and two of those were back in the 1930s.
    Sometimes there is a wider picture than just winning silverware. Cloughaneely has been ravaged by emmigration for decades. The majority of young people in the area grow up and have to leave the parish as there is nothing there for them. It is why the club will always have more success at juvenile level than adult level.
    When you couple this with what has happened in recent times it is remarkable they are competitive at all. They lost two generational leaders in Joe Kelly and John Harley and that is before you consider the other deaths. Like more rural parishes in Donegal Cloughaneely is dependant on the sporting clubs in the area to galvanise people and the GAA club has done a wonderful job in this regard.
    They clearly punch above their weight as a Division 1 team and hopefully there will be another championship heading their way sooner rather than later.

I hope Naomh Conaill wipe the floor with Gaoth Dobhair. And Boyle is the reason why. His attitude and behaviour are umbecoming of people associated with that great club.

• Advertisement

I think this is a little unfair not withstanding today's result. The club has no great tradition of winning championships only having won 5 in total and two of those were back in the 1930s.
    Sometimes there is a wider picture than just winning silverware. Cloughaneely has been ravaged by emmigration for decades. The majority of young people in the area grow up and have to leave the parish as there is nothing there for them. It is why the club will always have more success at juvenile level than adult level.
    When you couple this with what has happened in recent times it is remarkable they are competitive at all. They lost two generational leaders in Joe Kelly and John Harley and that is before you consider the other deaths. Like more rural parishes in Donegal Cloughaneely is dependant on the sporting clubs in the area to galvanise people and the GAA club has done a wonderful job in this regard.
    They clearly punch above their weight as a Division 1 team and hopefully there will be another championship heading their way sooner rather than later.

Don’t think it’s a case of being unfair. Just it is what it is, there are some teams who just don’t seem to ever properly click for championship. The emigration thing is donegal wide, hardly just a falcarragh thing.

Would be great for them to win it especially after what they’ve been through this year.

Advertisement