Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

agfasfos wrote: »
    Got my Season Ticket, Pat McGrane Stand, not good I take judging by previous post ?, is it behind the goals, on the sideline. Last years seat, not in the stand was ok.

The Pat McGrane is the uncovered stand below The Hill.

I'm in Row W this year. Can't recall what row I was in last year, but W might be ok (i.e. further away from the pitch).

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Row W here too, just hope the result goes the right way, dont want a repeat of last years debacle.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Row W too. I'll sit in the car and listen to it if it meant the minors and seniors get the results; anything to avoid a repeat of last year.

Looks like the Season Tickets are Row W.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2965367

Looks like rain Ted. Best bring a Brolly, and not the Derry one. Last year was supposed to be a scorcher but it didn't really materialise did it?

• Advertisement

Best bring a Brolly, and not the Derry one.

And you'll be told to take it down!

Last year was supposed to be a scorcher but it didn't really materialise did it?

Not sure if serious....

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    And you'll be told to take it down!

Not sure if serious....

I remember the 'bring sunscreen' warnings and the GAA having sunscreen at the ground but I thought it ended up being disappointing. No?

I genuinely can't remember! I could have sworn I was annoyed at it, expecting to be out in the shorts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

I remember the 'bring sunscreen' warnings and the GAA having sunscreen at the ground but I thought it ended up being disappointing. No?

I genuinely can't remember! I could have sworn I was annoyed at it, expecting to be out in the shorts.
    Eh was high 20s. Very hot. Reminded me of 89 and 92 hot days in Clones.
    TBH I think rain suits us more than Monaghan.

Looks like the Season Tickets are Row W.
    Think thats where we were l/y alright-was a sickener. Didnt see it coming, saw us possibly losing to Tyrone or Down but didnt think Monaghan had much based on championship form over a couple of years. Remember a friend before the game saying twas just a formality-even at the time I didnt like hearing that.
    Year before think i just bought 2 Gerry Aurthurs tkts on day-think was in uncovered part. Presume bigger crowd this year and that wont be possible. Planning on buying hill ticket on day. Surprisingly Dublin game is 2pm as a curtain raiser for ours!!
    Anyway as I said earlier, not confident but would love another Ulster for Jim and the boys if it is his last year. First one of our Ulster finals goin in as underdogs with revenge as motivation to boot. This is a BIG ONE.

harpsman wrote: »
    Eh was high 20s. Very hot. Reminded me of 89 and 92 hot days in Clones.
    TBH I think rain suits us more than Monaghan.

Jesus. I've usually got a decent memory too!

• Advertisement

Last year was a scorcher. I was in shorts, wearing a Cleveland Browns hat and interviewed by Thomas Kane for the BBC. Thankfully I didn't make any stupid predictions - I mentioned that Monaghan would have been given a boost by winning the Minor Final. A fellow Boardsie was beside me in shades....it was hot.

So, seems some money has been going on Monaghan. I took a screenshot of the odds last week and we were both evens. Tonight, Monaghan are 10/11 and we are 11/10. I heard this evening on the radio Kieran Hughes will be fit, but still no Lennon, which is no surprise. All our lads are meant to be training, but who knows. The word is that Lacey and Kavanagh would have played against Antrim had it been Monaghan we were playing. Big Neil too seemed to remove himself very quickly which looks to me like they were playing it safe. Since then we've heard that there are issues with Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath, Jigger and MacNiallais, but it's hard to know how serious any of these are to be honest. It seems pointless speculating after the surprises we saw in the starting line ups against Derry and Antrim.

If everyone is fit, the defence picks itself. I still have Big Neil and Rory as our first choice midfield with McElhinney as an impact sub. Based on what I've seen so far, Leo and Christy should start at half forward. Third spot is between Ryan McHugh and MacNiallais. MacNiallais seems to me more of a scoring threat and gives us another option around midfield, but I love the way Ryan is on the ball so much and works so hard. Tough call.

Full forward line - Michael and Colm of course - even if Colm's form has been worrying me. He has still earned the right to start. In the other corner, I think it's time for a change and Jigger should start ahead of Paddy. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see Paddy get the nod - since he made his debut as a sub against Antrim in 2011 he has started every Championship game except for the All Ireland Semi Final in 2011 and even though he seems short of confidence, dropping him may not doing anything to help him. Still, I'd like to think he is on a short leash - we can't afford any passengers on Sunday.

It's a very tough one to call. I'm not confident, but I'm certainly not writing us off. Look at the way both Tyrone and Armagh came back against Monaghan - I think that gives us a chance as long as we don't let them get off to a fast start. Their intensity in defence is very impressive, but I know we can match them in this regard. We've been winning without getting much scoring from Michael and Colm, and they both had miserable games last year. I am looking for big games from both of them on Sunday, as well as another vintage performance from Christy and Leo continuing his strong play.

Unless there are injuries and issues we are not aware of, I think we'll be well prepared. It should be an epic battle, and I don't care what kind of game it is as long as we win. I'm not looking past Sunday (I haven't done so all year) and all I care about right now is regaining the Ulster title.

I think we will.

Last year was a scorcher. I was in shorts, wearing a Cleveland Browns hat and interviewed by Thomas Kane for the BBC. Thankfully I didn't make any stupid predictions - I mentioned that Monaghan would have been given a boost by winning the Minor Final. A fellow Boardsie was beside me in shades....it was hot.

So, seems some money has been going on Monaghan. I took a screenshot of the odds last week and we were both evens. Tonight, Monaghan are 10/11 and we are 11/10. I heard this evening on the radio Kieran Hughes will be fit, but still no Lennon, which is no surprise. All our lads are meant to be training, but who knows. The word is that Lacey and Kavanagh would have played against Antrim had it been Monaghan we were playing. Big Neil too seemed to remove himself very quickly which looks to me like they were playing it safe. Since then we've heard that there are issues with Neil McGee, Paddy McGrath, Jigger and MacNiallais, but it's hard to know how serious any of these are to be honest. It seems pointless speculating after the surprises we saw in the starting line ups against Derry and Antrim.

If everyone is fit, the defence picks itself. I still have Big Neil and Rory as our first choice midfield with McElhinney as an impact sub. Based on what I've seen so far, Leo and Christy should start at half forward. Third spot is between Ryan McHugh and MacNiallais. MacNiallais seems to me more of a scoring threat and gives us another option around midfield, but I love the way Ryan is on the ball so much and works so hard. Tough call.

Full forward line - Michael and Colm of course - even if Colm's form has been worrying me. He has still earned the right to start. In the other corner, I think it's time for a change and Jigger should start ahead of Paddy. But, I wouldn't be surprised to see Paddy get the nod - since he made his debut as a sub against Antrim in 2011 he has started every Championship game except for the All Ireland Semi Final in 2011 and even though he seems short of confidence, dropping him may not doing anything to help him. Still, I'd like to think he is on a short leash - we can't afford any passengers on Sunday.

It's a very tough one to call. I'm not confident, but I'm certainly not writing us off. Look at the way both Tyrone and Armagh came back against Monaghan - I think that gives us a chance as long as we don't let them get off to a fast start. Their intensity in defence is very impressive, but I know we can match them in this regard. We've been winning without getting much scoring from Michael and Colm, and they both had miserable games last year. I am looking for big games from both of them on Sunday, as well as another vintage performance from Christy and Leo continuing his strong play.

Unless there are injuries and issues we are not aware of, I think we'll be well prepared. It should be an epic battle, and I don't care what kind of game it is as long as we win. I'm not looking past Sunday (I haven't done so all year) and all I care about right now is regaining the Ulster title.

I think we will.
    Thats a very good analysis of what could lie ahead on Sunday. I think it's very important that we dont end up chasing the game. If we can stay with them for the opening 20 minutes or so we have a great chance. Last year they had 4 points on the board in no time & we were never in it after that. The league final wasn't much better & that's what worries me. Monaghan know they can beat us but it's up to our lads to up their game, play to the level they are capable of & be able to pick off long range points. Jigger could be vital on Sunday, Monaghan won't like him running at them & could give a away a few frees .

Thats a very good analysis of what could lie ahead on Sunday. I think it's very important that we dont end up chasing the game. If we can stay with them for the opening 20 minutes or so we have a great chance. Last year they had 4 points on the board in no time & we were never in it after that. The league final wasn't much better & that's what worries me. Monaghan know they can beat us but it's up to our lads to up their game, play to the level they are capable of & be able to pick off long range points. Jigger could be vital on Sunday, Monaghan won't like him running at them & could give a away a few frees .
    Maybe jigger could bring something different to our attack, which we might need. Im sure he ll get some attention from the Monaghan boys. Id definately start w big Neil and give him maybe 50 minutes.

Thats a very good analysis of what could lie ahead on Sunday.

Cheers!
    Last year they had 4 points on the board in no time & we were never in it after that. The league final wasn't much better & that's what worries me.

I would tend to disregard our performance in both those games, as I would also ignore the result from Letterkenny earlier this year. Think of our potential - what we know we are capable of producing rather than how we played in those games. We were not ourselves in the Ulster Final last year or the Division Two Final this year. Now, even if we do play to our potential, Monaghan might still beat us - maybe they are just better than us. But I'm not going to say that until after Sunday.

Monaghan don't fear us, that's for sure. It's been that way for a while now.

I think we will.

I've got high ould demands for our heatwaves. Probably in a huff because it got dull!

Back 7 picks itself (Including Pappa). Where does Karl play is an issue. You have to think that Jim will have something in the pipeline for McManus.

Rory Kav and Big Neil in the middle all things being equal. Then we have some competition in both the forward lines which is a pleasant change.

Funny, on the topic of half forward I think it's between Christy and MacNiallas. Unless there's movement in the backs (Lacey to 2, McGrath not fit) then Leo plays at 11. McHugh's experience from last year and work rate are key for me and I think he'll play. Then it's between Christy and MacNiallas really for the other spot imo. Tough, tough call.

Inside it's Murphy and Colm Anthony. The debate is Jigger v McBrearty. I'd drop Paddy myself. He hasn't done it this year and I think not starting might actually do him the power of good. This isn't one of those "you're dropped, go away" ones either it's "sit this out and then you will be coming on with 20 minutes to go to win this for us". He'd be a major threat coming on at that stage of the game. Of course the other option is MacNiallas and pull him out around the middle but that's unlikely.

It's going to be a battle. That's for certain. We've got the better team, they have a set up which can easily beat us again. Just have to hope that the fact we're coming into this in a better condition stands to us.

I've got high ould demands for our heatwaves. Probably in a huff because it got dull!

Are you Jimmy from Senegal?

Are you Jimmy from Senegal?

A dulux chart comparison would be closer to Francie Bellew than the bould Jimmy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Am not quite as confident going into Sunday as I was this time last year ... but that's probably a good thing given how last year went! :D

Agree with the selections proposed by Rsf and Nw. Personally I think Jim will probably go with Christy in place of Odhran with the view of switching them at half time (as he has done with Christy so far this season) and he tends to stick with the same full forward line so I expect Paddy to start even though personally I would prefer to see Jigger given a go.
    My main concern for Sunday is that most teams see to have figured out that our full forward line can be handled by putting an extra man back there. The front 3 haven't performed in a long time now and whilst I remain optimistic, I don't see us getting a big score from them. Our new scoring threat is coming much more from the half forwards than the full forward line which is a big change from 2012.
    As others have said, I think if we can stay with Monaghan in the first half then we have a real chance. If we can keep their full forward line as quiet as they keep ours then I think we have much more scoring threat in other areas than Monaghan. The one big difference I think between this year and last (apart from the fact Monaghan are now warm favourites) is that we will have options off the bench on Sunday - this could be crucial.

Looks like another scorcher this year going by the latest forecast for Sunday - hopefully that's the only thing in common with last year!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Looks like another scorcher this year going by the latest forecast for Sunday -!

Don't be getting my hopes up!

• Advertisement

Both teams for Sunday

SM746 wrote: »
    Both teams for Sunday

lol at the Senior team, well, at least the numbering.

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭notfromhere

Let the mind games begin

That senior team :D

Tell them nothing Jim! :D

How do people see it shaping up? Paddy McG back into the corner; ryan up to half forward. Rory Kav into midfield with Neil Gallagher starting, Lacey and Jigger on with Martin and Christy making way? Or Christy starting with Odhran making way maybe.
    Paddy McB would be better used as an impact sub seeing how he done in that role in the league but I expect Jim to start the same 3 inside again.
    The brilliant thing for me with our league teams and formations (Ryan at 4, Leo at 6, etc) is ill put my hands up and say it is really, really hard to settle in my head how we will line up on Sunday. I just have a feeling Neil G and Kav will start to try exert a foothold and prevent the start we experienced last year but as I said, who knows?
    Did anyone read O Se in the indo today? I wonder who is his very confident Donegal friend, I bloody hope he is right!

I'm sticking by the team I outlined earlier this week. I think he'll put a physically strong team out to match Monaghan in the first half and try and contain them, with the aim of fresh legs and youth to push us on in the second.
    Durcan
    Mc Gees, Paddy McG
    Anthony, Karl, Frank
    Big Neil, Rory
    Christy, Leo, Ryan
    Paddy McB, Murph, Colm

With Odhran coming on for Christy at half time and Jigger coming in early in the second half. Hopefully we'll be level at half time and will push on in the 3rd quarter again.
    I'm not confident this time around, more optimistic that we can produce the form needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

im still waiting for the day when jim does start his named team...
    now that would really mess with the opposing manager!

in reality... i can see Big Neil coming on at half time with McElhinney starting, otherwise very much a la ceist beag

im actually slightly more confident this year, although being horribly hungover at the Down semi last year made that feel like one of the worst games of my life.

SM746 wrote: »
    Did anyone read O Se in the indo today? I wonder who is his very confident Donegal friend, I bloody hope he is right!

Yeah I wondered the same. Could be some eejit in fairness, I find it hard to believe anyone could make such a case for either team to be honest.

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    im actually slightly more confident this year, although being horribly hungover at the Down semi last year made that feel like one of the worst games of my life.

I 'had to' stay up until 1.30am or so with a case of jet lag and after a feed of beer in Wellington to watch it on a laptop. I missed how bad it really was....

No such luck for last year's Ulster Final or the All Ireland Quarter-Final. Everything was too bloody vivid. At least Carrick on Shannon was a bit of craic.

Advertisement