Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Leo played a crucial role with McBrearty in getting ball up the field to Murphy and McFadden in the golden days. He took and gave out a fair few hits in that Central position and broke up so much play for our gain. Happy retirement Leo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Hugh McFadden in for McGonagle
    Carroll gone altogether
    Niall O'Donnell on bench but no Paddy McBrearty

Meath played first half with strong breeze and go in 4 points down and having saved a penalty.

They belong in Division 2 and so do we if we can't finish this off.

All about Michael, with Jamie supporting well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Only started watching at 4-1 down, but we've been well in control of this game since. Fairly drab stuff, lit up by an excellent first goal by McFadden Ferry

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Only started watching at 4-1 down, but we've been well in control of this game since. Fairly drab stuff, lit up by an excellent first goal by McFadden Ferry

Is it being broadcast somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

dog_pig wrote: »
    Is it being broadcast somewhere?

I'm abroad and watching on GAAGO, don't think its live anywhere in Ireland

Deferred coverage TG4 later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Professional would probably describe that performance. Meath started well, but we got to grips with them after maybe 15mins and they only scored 3pts afterwards.

We dropped everyone back first half to take away their shooting chances with the breeze and then patient in possession going forward, eventually working an opening than trying a pot shot into the wind.
    Murphy also missed a peno, and really should have had a third at the death but he gave a free when it was clearly inside the box. All 3 were clear fouls in fairness. Hit the bar too second half too.
    Broke forward quickly on the counter, overall good performance without anyone being fantastic I thought. Probably had another bit in us if needed, first time seeing is this year, tbh would have liked a few to have bulked up more if we were really going to challenge this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Nice win albeit against a weakened Meath side who will get relegated. Murphy again to the fore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Nice win albeit against a weakened Meath side who will get relegated. Murphy again to the fore.

Meath were shocking, as was some of the officiating.
    We were poor in the first 20 minutes taking the ball into contact far too often. Once we scored the opening goal there was only going to be one winner. We controlled the game playing within ourselves. The difficulty with Meath being so poor is that you could now be relegated on 6 points.
    Patton's kickouts are some weapon. When you're winning kickouts in the opposition 45 it gives you some platform in the modern game.
    An away game in Letterkenny next.

• Advertisement

Little, if anything, learned on Sunday.

Awful game, with our ability to up the pace when we needed to and create goal chances at will the difference.

But, without Michael Murphy, where would the spark come from to win that game? I don't know.

I really don't know what anyone sees in Paul Brennan. I dislike the thought of him featuring in any other games.

As it was last year, our advantage over most teams will be our serious firepower, with Paddy McBrearty, Niall O'Donnell and Oisin Gallen to come back into the team. That will be more than enough to deal with most teams at the bottom of Division One and below.

Sunday in Letterkenny will be a much bigger test for a number of reasons. Galway are playing with a new vigour, and have good forwards, but, are open enough so that will suit us. It could well be a shootout, but then again, O'Donnell Park has a strange impact on games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Lurking in the Donegal thread after the beating ye gave us sunday and I was curious about the grim talk concerning Letterkenny. So I had a look at the stats and looks like you've good reason for it.... In 10 years Donegal have won 1 of the 8 league games in Letterkenny, and lost 1 of the 26 games in Ballybofey and Ballyshannon!

Is there any possible reason for this or just bad luck?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Lurking in the Donegal thread after the beating ye gave us sunday and I was curious about the grim talk concerning Letterkenny. So I had a look at the stats and looks like you've good reason for it.... In 10 years Donegal have won 1 of the 8 league games in Letterkenny, and lost 1 of the 26 games in Ballybofey and Ballyshannon!

Bad venue and a County Board that it seems don`t read stats best I can come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Ancient Tír Chonaill tradition sees the squad stay overnight in the Grianán of Aileach before matches in Letterkenny. If there’s been a been a night of bad weather the boys can be in awful form come the next morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

The venue lacks atmosphere. It’s also not a traditional venue where Donegal players are happy playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Playing Senior inter county football matches in Letterkenny makes no sense from a football or finances point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Playing Senior inter county football matches in Letterkenny makes no sense from a football or finances point of view

Politics to spread it around. Personally I think they should all be played in Ballybofey. It’s the most central and has covered seating room for 5,000. Whatever about Letterkenny getting a game, it’s time to stop with Ballyshannon. Very poor ground a long way from a lot of the support base

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Same arguments every year.

The games are shared around and that is not going to change. Plenty of other counties do similar.

If you don’t want to go to Father Tierney / O’Donnell Park then don’t go.

Aye, the County Board know best.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Can we get a new sponsor onboard to compensate the good GAA people of Letterkenny for a 'Thanks for accommodating us but we're moving home' goodbye gesture.
    It's nothing short of selfishness to want to have games at a venue we continuously lose at.
    Imagine Ballymum Kickhams demanded that Dublin play a few of their league games at their ground, they'd be laughed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Any ideas in how the game is going to go on Sunday? Talking to a Galway man today and he reckons Galway will beat us easily. I'm not so sure. Doesn't help to be playing in Letterkenny.

He/she/they are right.

Pitch is laid on an Indian Burial Ground.

Any ideas in how the game is going to go on Sunday? Talking to a Galway man today and he reckons Galway will beat us easily. I'm not so sure. Doesn't help to be playing in Letterkenny.

Letterkenny. So an away win.

Count is on in the Aura on Sunday.

Match parking in Drumkeen.

I hear you’ve boys in LK went out for milk on Christmas Eve and are still stuck at the roadworks.

Any truth in this? Is Sunday a day for coming in the back roads via the old town.

I hear you’ve boys in LK went out for milk on Christmas Eve and are still stuck at the roadworks.

Any truth in this? Is Sunday a day for coming in the back roads via the old town.

I’d avoid that way too. You might get closer to the ground if you turn off to the left past Drumkeen and come through Newmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Just saw the weather forecast for the weekend, Orange alert for the West And North West, will the game go ahead in Letterkenny ?, if it is to be postponed when will the the decision be taken ?, surely it wouldn't be left until late Sunday morning.

Brutal day forecast, the 1000 seats who are actually covered in the stand will be eagerly sought. The rest will be soaked. Attendance could be very low.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    Brutal day forecast, the 1000 seats who are actually covered in the stand will be eagerly sought. The rest will be soaked. Attendance could be very low.

Woman's game on first too, isn't there?

It's OK though, ODP has a fine terrace.

Advertisement