Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I honestly can't see why people wouldn't start Christy, unless they are thinking like McGuinness and want to finish with our strongest team.....I'm still unclear of why he made way against Derry, but he looked able for the pace against Antrim. For me, he's the first name on our half forward line.

I loved reading this piece on him ahead of his 50th start in the Championship. He's given so much for the County and his comeback has been the best story of our year for me. Hard to believe he was captain back in 2006.

He didn't play in the Ulster Finals of 2011, 2012 or 2013 so Sunday could end up being very special for him indeed.

Price lengthening on Donegal - we're now 6/5 out from 11/10....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

That's probably about right in fairness - Monaghan are probably going in as warm favourites based on form - those tipping Donegal are doing so more due to their expected hunger rather than due to form. That said once the ball is thrown in on Sunday it's all irrelevant! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

overshoot wrote: »
    im still waiting for the day when jim does start his named team...
    now that would really mess with the opposing manager!

in reality... i can see Big Neil coming on at half time with McElhinney starting, otherwise very much a la ceist beag

im actually slightly more confident this year, although being horribly hungover at the Down semi last year made that feel like one of the worst games of my life.
    You thought monaghan would win last year?? Obviously you filled your boots at the bookies given that they were 7/1:o

I havent been impressed w big Neil coming off the bench this year-Id prefer to start with him and give him 50 minutes.

Certainly would be dissappointed if Lacey doesnt start and I dont want to see McHugh anywhere near the defence-hes a really poor defender imo.

So Its usual 1-9, Leo,Mick and Colm then any 3 from Paddy,Christy, Jigger, Odhran,Martin and Ryan. Personally Id go with the the 1st 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

in reality i probably wasnt... im pretty sure i was thinking along the lines of we are not playing well at all but should still have enough for monaghan and underestimated them link everyone else.

i think monaghan was the final killer for hope of rekindling 2012 form

• Advertisement

overshoot wrote: »
    in reality i probably wasnt... im pretty sure i was thinking along the lines of we are not playing well at all but should still have enough for monaghan and underestimated them link everyone else.

i think monaghan was the final killer for hope of rekindling 2012 form

Agreed on both points. We won't be underestimating them this year, that's for sure. Whether we can rekindle 2012 form fully remains to be seen, but one step at a time. A win on Sunday would go a long way towards reigniting the flame.

Another great piece on Christy by our own Keith Duggan

And not a fan of the place, but this piece brought a smile to my face, especially the line about being 'calved'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Price lengthening on Donegal - we're now 6/5 out from 11/10....
    I'll probably change my mind again before evening but I'm feeling quite confident at the minute and liking a 10/1 double on a -3 handicap for both teams to win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

I'll probably change my mind again before evening but I'm feeling quite confident at the minute and liking a 10/1 double on a -3 handicap for both teams to win.

Extremely confident myself I have to say the more I think about it. If Monaghan beat us tomorrow then I tip my hat to them; they are a better team than us. However, I truly do not think they are and I hope I am proven right tomorrow!! Less than 24 hours :-)

I'm going for Donegal by 2 - I have 1-12 to 0-13 in my head, maybe even 2-09 to 0-13.

Getting highly excited now and haven't had a drop of drink to steady me yet. Will head out to cut the grass and then watch Armagh v Roscommon.

• Advertisement

Safe travels each and all! Extremely nervous now so I'll need 2/3 in Packie Willies and hopefully a good minor result to ease them! Extremely confident we can get the result so here is hoping!! Leaving Dublin now to grab some food; roll on the games :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

SM746 wrote: »
    Safe travels each and all! Extremely nervous now so I'll need 2/3 in Packie Willies and hopefully a good minor result to ease them! Extremely confident we can get the result so here is hoping!! Leaving Dublin now to grab some food; roll on the games :-)

Safe journey, mixed feelings here, no matter what way it goes it will be a different game than last years, Donegal are better prepared this time & I doubt if Monaghan have any surprises, looks like it's going to be warm & humid. Donegal Abu.

How much where tickets today? Just noticed our two were 30e each. Have they got rid of the 5e concession for season ticket holders?

How much where tickets today? Just noticed our two were 30e each. Have they got rid of the 5e concession for season ticket holders?
    No concessions on Ulster Final tickets. None on All Ireland final tickets either but we'll leave that one for another day ;)

I see the minors are after leaving Donegal Town. Makes me feel bad for having a cigarette before heading for a dirty fry up while nursing a bitch of a hangover. If only I got a little more encouragement as a child!

No concessions on Ulster Final tickets. None on All Ireland final tickets either but we'll leave that one for another day ;)

Jesus I always thought there was concessions up to the AI Final! How much where hill tickets as a matter of interest do you know?

Jesus I always thought there was concessions up to the AI Final! How much where hill tickets as a matter of interest do you know?
    No idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

student 13
    adult 18

long live the terrace! Should really be a season ticket for that. Even without the 5e concession

almost time to hit the road :)

Brilliant

Yes, brilliant. To come back and regain the Ulster Championship after last year, brilliant is the only word. Throw in the dominant display by our minors and it's easily one of my best days in Clones.

• Advertisement

Yes, brilliant. To come back and regain the Ulster Championship after last year, brilliant is the only word. Throw in the dominant display by our minors and it's easily one of my best days in Clones.

My best day ever in Clones! No comparison!! As I expected; we're better than them when it truly matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Well, once again Jim has proved his doubters(including myself on this occasion) wrong. A very good display, not brilliant, good few mistakes but not the time for cribbin bout those. We destroyed Monaghan tactically and really should have won by alot more but for the silly scores conceded.
    Has to be said monaghan were very,very bad.
    Well done lads-this was a massive result for us-youve done the county proud.

Missed my first ever Ulster final as my wife gave birth to our first child this morning-worth missing it for that:):).

Needless to say the Rte and to a lesser extent BBC boys whingin about blanket defences etc-expected it from Spillane and Brolly but thought it was a bit rich from Peter Canavan after the way he set up his Fermanagh team- defensive and crap to boot.

Ryan McHugh, Neil Gallagher, Neil McGee, Paddy Mc B and Karl our best players,in that order I thought.

Congrats on the arrival Harpsman! An even better day. If it's a boy, hope you call him Jim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

What a day to be alive. Murphy slotting over from around the 55m was incredible. Talk about putting a team away.

I also don't think I've seen Neil Gallagher that mobile since 2012. A tremendous display from him. There were a lot of positives to build on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

I've run out if superlatives for McGuinness. Honestly, what that man has done for our County I mean it's ridiculous.

I don't think I could love him anymore if he was my own ould fella!

These are brilliant tines to be a Donegal GAA fan.

Thank you Jim. You beautiful bastard!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Agree with all the above, no doubt we are living in special times for Donegal GAA. I thought big Neil was superb yesterday (one dispossession in the first half aside!) and wee Ryan was absolutely everywhere - his little give and gos are great to watch. Paddy McB showed in the second half what he can do - hopefully this can be the making of him. Odhran was fantastic again yesterday, 3 more superb points. In a couple of years time I think he can go on to become one of the best midfielders in the country. Durcans kickouts were again fantastic apart from a small rocky period in the second half. Neil McGee was us brilliant self although I think it was a right call to move him off McManus late on as he was in danger of a second yellow.
    Overall there were a lot of positives to take out of yesterday - the main being what I think is our first ever Senior/Minor Ulster double (correct me if I'm wrong there) and with Neil getting a full 70, Rory getting a run out, Paddy getting a confidence boost, Odhran continuing to improve, no injuries, and most importantly for me, Jim continuing to show he is a tactical master, both in how he sets up his team and in how he reads the game and makes changes as and when needed. The only one mark against him yesterday was the embarrassing and very unfair episode on Colm where he was about to take a free when they announced he was being replaced - ended up with Colm looking over as if to say Can I at least take the free.
    Once again Clones just showed why it's the best venue for Ulster finals - from the lads renting out a sod of grass in their back yard as a car park, to everyone desperately trying to get a signal on their phones to say "we're here", from the main street jumping with energy to the old dears looking out from their upstairs windows at it all, and just about everyone in the town being part of the whole spectacle, it's magic stuff. Please Ulster council, don't move it away from Clones.

Well, what a battle that was. It was everything I expected, except it was Monaghan who got the goal rather than ourselves.

Jigger aside, everyone delivered. I thought it was a big call, but the right call, to start him and ok it didn't seem to work out, but we've not seen the last of him. Heck, I'd start him again the next day out - Paddy is clearly better coming off the bench!

Our defenders were excellent - the two McGees, Neil especially, back to their sniping best. Felt sorrty for Frank - such an error is out of character for him. Nothing to worry us about the goal, pure opportunism, a bit of luck, and a very well struck shot in fairness. Monghan might well have had a penalty I guess, the pundits couldn't really agree on what exactly the offence was mind you. But, with the game Maurice had, is anybody surprised he might have got it wrong....

Papa - immense. Our kickouts were typically excellent, aside of course from the one that was judged too short.

Karl Lacey - well, heading for another All Star I reckon.

Amazed to see Big Neil go 70 minutes. His injury/recovery has been excellently managed. There were a few sloppy turnovers, but otherwise it was a massive performance. Rory and McElhinney did just alright when they came on. Rory's crazy shot and a turnover from McElhinney came at bad times but didn't end up affecting us. Hopefully the next few weeks help Rory along with his fitness - time is probably on our side, but that's assuming he's able to train.

Christy had so so afternoon I suppose. Leo worked hard, no scores, but was involved in setting up a few chances. MacNiallais - he is pretty special, that point in the first half was amazing - couldn't believed he curled it in. Ryan McHugh was worthy of motm I guess - mad, a lot of us would have hooked him in the first half when he seemed to be slowed by a knock or maybe even dazed. It wasn't the perfect performance - on another day that point chance missed, the lack of attention paid to a wayward Monaghan kickout and the goal chance he blazed over could have cost us, but he is so full of energy and such a good decision maker on the ball that he reminds me somewhat of Brian Dooher when he was going well. It's great too have David Walsh to bring on.

In the inside forwards, it gets hard to analyse performances. First off, Paddy, outstanding, even if he did make a complete hash of that chance in the first half - I was thinking 'here we go again' - but other than that - outstanding. I'd love to think this is the start of something special, but we've been here before. Let's just enjoy what he gave us on Sunday and we'll see what the next day brings.

Colm, well, again, you feel like he didn't play as well as we have come to expect. Fact is, he was cheated out of a point in the first half (ridiculous that Hawkeye is available for any Championship game in Croke Park and nowhere else), he still managed 0-4 from frees (even if he did miss two that he probably should have scored) and was involved in setting up two points. Again, he was very tightly marked.

Michael - did what was asked of him I suppose. That last free was special, but that's the brilliance of the lad - sacrafices his talent for the gameplan. To be honest, as long as we're winning, I don't really care how he is used.

McGuinness said afterwards that it wasn't a statement of intent, it was an Ulster title and nothing else. We'll see. I expect us to win our Quarter Final and to face Dublin in the Semi Final. That's a whole different game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

I'm a relative newcomer to GAA, only watched my first full match in June 2012 (in Ballybofey vs. Derry I think it was), and I feel almost guilty about celebrating Donegal's successes. It's as if I snuck into the race just in time for the victory lap. Still, even for me, it's been a great ride. Can't imagine what it means to the rest of you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Well, what a battle that was. It was everything I expected, except it was Monaghan who got the goal rather than ourselves.

Jigger aside, everyone delivered. I thought it was a big call, but the right call, to start him and ok it didn't seem to work out, but we've not seen the last of him. Heck, I'd start him again the next day out - Paddy is clearly better coming off the bench!

Our defenders were excellent - the two McGees, Neil especially, back to their sniping best. Felt sorrty for Frank - such an error is out of character for him. Nothing to worry us about the goal, pure opportunism, a bit of luck, and a very well struck shot in fairness. Monghan might well have had a penalty I guess, the pundits couldn't really agree on what exactly the offence was mind you. But, with the game Maurice had, is anybody surprised he might have got it wrong....

Papa - immense. Our kickouts were typically excellent, aside of course from the one that was judged too short.

Karl Lacey - well, heading for another All Star I reckon.

Amazed to see Big Neil go 70 minutes. His injury/recovery has been excellently managed. There were a few sloppy turnovers, but otherwise it was a massive performance. Rory and McElhinney did just alright when they came on. Rory's crazy shot and a turnover from McElhinney came at bad times but didn't end up affecting us. Hopefully the next few weeks help Rory along with his fitness - time is probably on our side, but that's assuming he's able to train.

Christy had so so afternoon I suppose. Leo worked hard, no scores, but was involved in setting up a few chances. MacNiallais - he is pretty special, that point in the first half was amazing - couldn't believed he curled it in. Ryan McHugh was worthy of motm I guess - mad, a lot of us would have hooked him in the first half when he seemed to be slowed by a knock or maybe even dazed. It wasn't the perfect performance - on another day that point chance missed, the lack of attention paid to a wayward Monaghan kickout and the goal chance he blazed over could have cost us, but he is so full of energy and such a good decision maker on the ball that he reminds me somewhat of Brian Dooher when he was going well. It's great too have David Walsh to bring on.

In the inside forwards, it gets hard to analyse performances. First off, Paddy, outstanding, even if he did make a complete hash of that chance in the first half - I was thinking 'here we go again' - but other than that - outstanding. I'd love to think this is the start of something special, but we've been here before. Let's just enjoy what he gave us on Sunday and we'll see what the next day brings.

Colm, well, again, you feel like he didn't play as well as we have come to expect. Fact is, he was cheated out of a point in the first half (ridiculous that Hawkeye is available for any Championship game in Croke Park and nowhere else), he still managed 0-4 from frees (even if he did miss two that he probably should have scored) and was involved in setting up two points. Again, he was very tightly marked.

Michael - did what was asked of him I suppose. That last free was special, but that's the brilliance of the lad - sacrafices his talent for the gameplan. To be honest, as long as we're winning, I don't really care how he is used.

McGuinness said afterwards that it wasn't a statement of intent, it was an Ulster title and nothing else. We'll see. I expect us to win our Quarter Final and to face Dublin in the Semi Final. That's a whole different game.
    What pleased me was we attacked Monaghan in areas where they have caused us difficulty. We neutralised McManus and Hughes which meant Monaghan were toothless up front. We destroyed D Hughes and Clerkin in midfield. How Clerkin lasted as long as he did was a mystery because big Neil gave him the runaround. We took their half back line apart. We had them on the backfoot all day. Leo, Christy and Ryan constantly took the game to them. Dessie Mone has caused us huge problems in so many ways. Yesterday we bullied the bully and he was badly exposed.
    Jim got the tactics spot on yesterday. Shame on those who doubted him as we may never see someone like him again.
    Well done to Declan and the minors. Excellent first half and plenty to work on for the next day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Efficient, composed, experienced with a tad of youthful exuberance added just about sums it up. We now have a squad of 21/22 players that we can rely on to do a job and that will be crucial if we advance. Goes to show Jim had it all sorted in the league and really yesterday just looked like another day at the office. The goal didn't bother them, the team is psychologically very strong after all they've been through and I don't think revenge or breaking Monaghans hoodo was on their minds whatsoever, this was single minded focus on winning another Ulster title and getting back to Croker to right the wrongs from last year.

Things are shaping up nicely, players look rested and up for it. Meath can be tough in Croker, Dublin embarassed them and they'll want to get a good run to end up on a high, they're a tough team to play on their day and Grimley and McGeeney are doing a great job with Armagh, deserve it after the abuse last year. I'd prefer Armagh, no team is a one man team, sport isn't that simplistic and they've a few very good players, but if you curtail Jamie Clarke your half way there to beating them.

We'd all love a crack at Dublin, but I'm sure McGuinness will have them well prepared and there'll be no surprise results, the job will get done.

Worrying signs, well Colm as mentioned, have to think he'll come good in Croker and if 2 or 3 players are keeping him quite it leaves room for the runs from midfield and the back line. Gave a way a couple of points due to indiscipline, I'm sure Jim will have noticed and barring that, not much else.

The goal was a mistake, stuff happens, trying to remember the stat, is that only the second goal from play we've conceded in Ulster in 4 years?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement