Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Agreed, they made a balls of that botched kick-out and the 3 on 2, and that looked like a very soft penalty too

With the table they way it is, you could question the thinking on putting a Mayo ref in charge .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

charlie14 wrote: »
    With the table they way it is, you could question the thinking on putting a Mayo ref in charge .

No sooner said and he hands Tyrone a point at the start of the second half. Then another one. B####ox.

Great goal, well done Jamie Brennan, didn't blast it. Good response.Burns lucky didn't get second yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Wouldn't normally question a ref's neutrality, but this is getting beyond a joke at this stage

Good win. McKenna's some but if stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

It was a must win, fair play to them. We were always on top & should have buried Tyrone earlier. We were by far the better team & the Ref didn't do us any favours, the penalty was soft.

Good all round performance. I don`t know what to make of young O`Donnell. Caught running into traffic a few times and put the support player under pressure a few times with poor passes when running into the same. I`ve been sore on Paul Brennan a few times in the past. Thought he had a good game today.

Wouldn't normally question a ref's neutrality, but this is getting beyond a joke at this stage

I`m not a great one for conspiracy theories, and I`m not saying the two Tyrone lads did not deserve to go one of them should have been gone much earlier. But from how he refereed that game, sending them off when Donegal had the game in the bag would make me wonder. Mayo`s last game is v Tyrone and they need to win to stay up.

Mind you both Monaghan and Mayo winning their last games it would not exactly break my heart seeing Tyrone go down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I`m not a great one for conspiracy theories, and I`m not saying the two Tyrone lads did not deserve to go one of them should have been gone much earlier. But from how he refereed that game, sending them off when Donegal had the game in the bag would make me wonder. Mayo`s last game is v Tyrone and they need to win to stay up.

Mind you both Monaghan and Mayo winning their last games it would not exactly break my heart seeing Tyrone go down.

It was not great optics having a Mayo man in the middle for the game with what was potentially at stake today and next week.

Not that I would doubt Jerome Henry's ability as a referee to as always carry out his duties in an impartial manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Good to win and stay up. Would be nice to spend a few years in Division 1 again.

Some sloppy play, which wasn't surprising but needs to be sorted fairly sharpish.

Brilliant goal by Mogan.

McKenna is a potential problem but we have had a look at him now and need to figure out how to manage him. Where there is a will there is a way.

Throne and their crappy free taking. Always good to see.

Hard to see R Brennan avoiding a ban. I don't rate P Brennan at all.

Hopefully Paddy and Langan make it back.

• Advertisement

seligehgit wrote: »
    It was not great optics having a Mayo man in the middle for the game with what was potentially at stake today and next week.

Not that I would doubt Jerome Henry's ability as a referee to as always carry out his duties in an impartial manner.

It was an idiotic appointment in the circumstances, but that penalty was so soft even Tyrone didn`t know why it was given.
    Anyway, in the end it didn`t matter.
    Ye had a massive win today in Tuam and good luck next weekend. Like myself a lot of people in Donegal will be shouting for ye.

Never thought I would ever say this other than maybe in an AI final, but I`ll be doing the same for Monaghan next weekend.
    If the tables were turned I have no doubt Tyrone would be doing the same.
    If the GAA had been around in Moses`s time there`s no way he would not have chipped "love thy neighbour" off those stone tablets on the way down that mountain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

One thing that brought a smile to my face yesterday was the massive increase in decibel levels every time Niall Morgan prepared to take a kickout. Then back to near silence again seconds later.
    Throne really didn't want to play yesterday, we were by far the better team but just kept easing off when we extended the lead. McKenna is certainly a handful but as RSF said, we now have two weeks to figure out a plan.
    At least we got to secure division one status before any further lockdown because you just never know when the next match might happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Really solid performance yesterday the only thing is throne will be better the next day, although you would wonder is all well in the camp. But on the plus side for Donegal with Langan & Mc Brearty due back we are in a good place. It’s was great to watch Donegal in action again

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Very good result yesterday, and great to see us play Div1 next year. Again, I'm not overly impressed with Caolan McGonigle. to his credit he did score a very good point but doesn't do enough overall for me. Is he really county standard?

Quick question - is it worth travelling to Tralee next weekend? 12 hour round trip..you'd need a week to recover from that.I dunno why the GAA didn't look at the fixtures and set games mid-point venues for games. Same as Monaghan v Kerry. Especially as there's no supporters allowed in.

If the GAA had been around in Moses`s time there`s no way he would not have chipped "love thy neighbour" off those stone tablets on the way down that mountain.

Thanks, Charlie14. I laughed out loud.
    I'll probably ending up grinning like an idiot all day when I think about that comment

Very good result yesterday, and great to see us play Div1 next year. Again, I'm not overly impressed with Caolan McGonigle. to his credit he did score a very good point but doesn't do enough overall for me. Is he really county standard?

I thought he did OK myself, one error late on aside. I thought he was better than Thompson and P Brennan for sure. I think he can offer more than either but is not consistent enough.
    Quick question - is it worth travelling to Tralee next weekend? 12 hour round trip..you'd need a week to recover from that.I dunno why the GAA didn't look at the fixtures and set games mid-point venues for games. Same as Monaghan v Kerry. Especially as there's no supporters allowed in.

Teams still entitled to play at a pitch they know with a short trip. That's worth something imho even with no supporters. If shoe was on the other foot I'd want a home game.

If not for lockdown I'd have liked to see the County Final played on Sunday. Leave the Kilcar and Naomh Conaill players to it, rest of the panel plus U20s could fulfil the fixture.

In other news, I read that OMCFF is off to The Lebanon and will miss the Championship.

Could have used his qualities against Throne.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,415 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Redsoxfan wrote: »

Throne and their crappy free taking. Always good to see.
    Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Throne really didn't want to play yesterday, we were by far the better team but just kept easing off when we extended the lead. McKenna is certainly a handful but as RSF said, we now have two weeks to figure out a plan.
    Murphy14 wrote: »
    Really solid performance yesterday the only thing is throne will be better the next day, although you would wonder is all well in the camp. But on the plus side for Donegal with Langan & Mc Brearty due back we are in a good place. It’s was great to watch Donegal in action again
    Could have used his qualities against Throne.

Cut the "Throne" sh!te out Lads. Refer to them as Tyrone from here on in or it'll be treated as trolling.

Hmm

I see Longford have given a walkover to Cork.

Would we consider doing similar I wonder?

Play a challenge match against Longford in Sligo instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭Happyilylost

Redsoxfan wrote:
    Hmm

Redsoxfan wrote:

Redsoxfan wrote:

Redsoxfan wrote:

Not quite the same.

• Advertisement

Hmm

We could still win the league.
    Beat Kerry, Dublin and Galway draw and we win on scoring difference.

:o.... just give ma a minute to get my coat and make sure the door doesn`t hit me on the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Hmm

You're forgetting that Longford insist on playing at home against Donegal at all times*

*obscure reference to Division 2 in the mid-noughties

Not

It's
    quite

only
    the

the

same.

league

Light enough team/squad named.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Triboro

7 changes from last day.
    Donegal with one eye on Tyrone!

Actually 9 changes.

****ty goals the difference at half time but we won't be able to kick points from distance in the 2nd half. Kick out will be under pressure too. Not much intensity in defence.

Hopefully no injuries or Covid following that game.

Apparently a player from a neighbouring county has Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Seems like Hampsey will be missing for themmuns.

Strange build up, we're clear favourites in the eyes of the bookies / media. Think we are used to seeing these games as 50/50 so it's hard to be that confident.

We have lost 2 'must win' games in the past 2 years so it's time for this group to take the next step forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Seems like Hampsey will be missing for themmuns.

Strange build up, we're clear favourites in the eyes of the bookies / media. Think we are used to seeing these games as 50/50 so it's hard to be that confident.

We have lost 2 'must win' games in the past 2 years so it's time for this group to take the next step forward.

Indeed, I always feels nervous when we go into a match as favourites. Tyrone managed to relegate Mayo & bounced back from our beating them the previous week, thing about them is you never know what team is going to turn up.

• Advertisement

Big game this weekend. We seem to have our first choices to pick from, save for maybe OMCFF and then there has to be some doubt about Paddy McBrearty who hasn't been seen in a while. I'd epxect to see the following:

1 Patton
    2 McGrath
    3 N McGee
    4 McMenamin
    5 R McHugh
    6 P Brennan
    7 EBG
    8 McFadden
    9 J McGee
    10 Thompson
    11 Langan
    12 McGonigle
    13 McBrearty
    14 Murphy
    15 J Brennan

Personally, I would have Gallen in ahead of J Brennan and O'Baoil instead of P Brennan and we could still see Gallen in ahead of McGonigle.

If not for the return of McKenna and what he's shown in the previous games, the loss of McShane thorugh injury and probable loss of Brennan through suspension and likely loss of AN Other through virus would make us clear favourites. The league is rarely a good predictor for Championship, but the fact that he's shown such good form in the weeks before such a big game suggests McKenna will be able to have an impact.

Our best defender is EBG so maybe he will pick up McKenna. McMenamin also a candidate. I'm sure Hughie will drop back as a sweeper and so we won't leave anyone 1 on 1 with him if he goes inside, but they will likely use him similarly to how we use Murphy. I'm all for double marking him and daring the rest of their 2nd rate forwards to beat us. After McKenna, Mattie Donnelly and Peter Harte will need watching. This is where OMCFF might have come in handy.

This is exactly it. By winning Ulster but not making the AISF it feels like we are winning battles but not the war. Of course, you could argue that if we had the draw others have had, we could well have finished in the top 2 each year, but that's life. This year, it's more straightforward, win Ulster and we are in the AISF. Win on Sunday, and our odds of winning Ulster should shorten further. We have better forwards and are typically more consistent. Any advantage from playing at home is likely to be minimal at this stage with the lack of a crowd and the fact that they are so used to playing in Ballybofey. We have issues - teams have shown they are willing to challenge Patton in the air, and we have a bad habit of fading in games or at last failing to close them out convincingly. Those things make me nervous ahead of Sunday especially considering how the game went 2 weeks ago.

But, I think we are good enough to win and we will, just about.

Advertisement