Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Brilliant video on Ryan McHugh and family as he discusses his All Ireland winning father, the Kilcar community during Covid and how he is hoping for success in the 2020 Football Championship. https://youtu.be/E-_JNvCl8Ic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think Brennan is a far better option than Oisin Gallen. But both may start if McBrearty doesn’t. Just on PMB, I think a big performance from him is overdue. I know he’s been injured but I think he’s been quiet this past few years. I realise he had the cruciate but I’m not convinced by him lately.

And for what it’s worth, I think Tyrone will beat us. I hope I’m wrong! But I just think we are lacking someone to help Murphy in the big games. And you need help to hear a top 5 team. Harte, Donnelly and McKenna will take stopping and I’m not sure we have the same threat up front because Murphy plays midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Actually, wouldn't surprise me to see Niall O'Donnell at 11. One of Langan or McGonigle to drop out if he does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Jizique

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Actually, wouldn't surprise me to see Niall O'Donnell at 11. One of Langan or McGonigle to drop out if he does.

Weather looks poor for weekend, wind and rain

Jizique wrote: »
    Weather looks poor for weekend, wind and rain

Ballybofey will be playable.

Omagh would not be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I presume McBrearty will be fine as we'd have hardly risked Thompson for 70 mins last week if there was a doubt. Not sure who else would hit the frees.

We're seriously short of defenders. I guess Paul Brennan is first choice now along with EBG, McGee, McHugh and McMenamin. I'd say the last place will depend on who we're playing. I'd probably go with Ward over McGrath.

Up front I'd go with
    Langan
    O'Donnell
    Thompson
    McBrearty
    Murphy
    Brennan

With Gallen, Mogan, McGonigle and O'Baoill on the bench we probably have as good a squad as we've had in a while.

We should win, wasn't convinced with Tyrone versus Mayo. I think we're stronger around the middle and apart from McNamee who is excellent, I'm not that impressed by their defence

We're seriously short of defenders. I guess Paul Brennan is first choice now

This is a problem alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

This is a problem alright.

True, my fear would be that Tyrone would run at our defence, with speed through the middle, could cough up a free or worse still a goal chance. I hope we don't end up chasing the game. We need to have daylight between them & us & make Tyrone change their original game plan during the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭doc_17

Tyrone played very defensively against us two weeks ago and still put 2-13 up. If they get a fast start and 4/5 points ahead I’d say we’re in bother.

Have they developed a cure for COVID?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

Team named for now.
    1. Patton
    2. Stephen Mc
    3. Neil
    4. EBG
    5. Ryan Mc
    6. Paul Brennan :O
    7. Mogan
    8. Mc Fadden
    9.Mc Gee
    10. Thompson
    11. Niall O D
    12. Langan
    13.Paddy Mc
    14. Murphy
    15. Jamie Brennan.

Id talk Mark Mc Hugh into coming back before Id start Paul Brennan at number 6. If Tyrone run at us they will cause problems. If they go into a shell and try counter attack we will pick them a part. Id put nothing past the combination of the weather, Mickey Harte and Joe Mc Quillan. We should have too much but I don't know why I'm pessimistic. On paper we wipe the floor with them.

Would like to see Gallen and Mc Gonagle at some stage tomorrow.

Other than that I can see Tyrone going at us through that number 6 and either being successful or drawing the cute foul and letting Morgan tap them over, lets hope Thompson has the same boots on he had in Kerry, Paddy is on form. Jamie will cause them problems again.

I wouldnt fancy being Darragh Canavan going in to meet Stephen Mc Menamin tomorrow either

Aside from 6, I'd be OK with that team. Mind you I don't think McHugh or Mogan are really defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Would expect a few changes to be sprung tomorrow. Monaghan a stark warning for us earlier, as if such a thing is needed before playing that lot.

Just really want this team to take the next step, and that means AI semi final and a crack at Dublin.

Jeaic MacCeallbhui and Caolan McGonigle in for Jason McGee and Paddy McBrearty

Worst fears re Paddy confirmed and also suspicions on defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,212 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Jeaic MacCeallbhui and Caolan McGonigle in for Jason McGee and Paddy McBrearty

Worst fears re Paddy confirmed and also suspicions on defence.

McGee and Mc Brearty, huge loss but at least McGee is on the bench.

Not sure on our two wing backs when it comes to defending either.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Poor conditions and playing poorly I think our starting team was negative no Mc Brearty surely Gallen has to start and then bringing in Eoin Mc Hugh good player but on a heavy pitch

Riding our luck here.

Opposition adapting to conditions much better than we are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭overshoot

Nerves there... We were the better team when able to play but Tyrone did seem to handle the conditions better. Few mistakes fully punished and thought Tyrone might have had another goal in them. Those 2 Tyrone had moved forward were big for us.

Thought langan was excellent today, Thompson good too in play, great frees, gallen when he came on made a good impact. Murphy struggled with Donnelly, EBG poor but on a day like that just glad to still be in the championship.... With winter football it could be the norm now though!
    Monaghan and Tyrone gone so fantastic shot now to make it 3 in a row

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Some victories are sweeter than others!!
    Great impact off the bench today.

Ahhhhh, that's a very satisfying outcome.

Some things went our way for sure, but it also seemed like a lot their scores were gifted as a result of our poor decisions and impact of greasy ball.

But after a really poor 1st quarter, we really grew into the game and gave the impression at least that we know what we are about and how we want to play. That wasn't always a good idea in the conditions mind.

Pretty sure I will enjoy the match in 2 weeks a lot more even if it won't mean as much as that win today.

We won't face as tough a match unless we win Ulster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Great win. Couldn’t understand how we were such strong favourites with most people. Tyrone played most of the football in the 1st half and we were lucky they weren’t well ahead at half time. Goal was huge. Then in the 2nd half I thought we played all the football and most of the Tyrone scores were down to us coughing up the ball in our own half. We showed great bottle to come back from that goal. Think Tyrone showed lack of bottle to lose it from a commanding position, considering they seemed to have the physical edge as well. Huge score from Gallen to put us 2 in front. Patton can be ropey in big games, but great kick for the goal.

harpsman wrote: »
    Great win. Couldn’t understand how we were such strong favourites with most people. Tyrone played most of the football in the 1st half and we were lucky they weren’t well ahead at half time. Goal was huge. Then in the 2nd half I thought we played all the football and most of the Tyrone scores were down to us coughing up the ball in our own half. We showed great bottle to come back from that goal. Think Tyrone showed lack of bottle to lose it from a commanding position, considering they seemed to have the physical edge as well. Huge score from Gallen to put us 2 in front. Patton can be ropey in big games, but great kick for the goal.

I do not like making a criticism on any day we beat Tyrone let alone a day that leaves them twiddling their thumbs for the rest of the championship. Some great performances from the lesser lights and those of the bench made a great contribution, but I have had my doubts on young O`Donnell.
    Perhaps he feels pressure to keep his place, but for me he carries to much ball into the tackle and runs down blind alleys. After today especially Gallen has got to start in two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

I never thought I’d ever type....

Paul Brennan played well.

Great game. Is Murphy carrying a knock or is he just old now? Hard to believe he’s heading into the winter of his career.

On that note, who are they lining up for the captaincy? I don’t fancy Hughie in that role. Ryan McHugh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Great game. Is Murphy carrying a knock or is he just old now? Hard to believe he’s heading into the winter of his career.

On that note, who are they lining up for the captaincy? I don’t fancy Hughie in that role. Ryan McHugh?

Murphy controlled the tempo of the game in the last ten minutes. Watch the game again and see how he linked play throughout the game. He created space for other players with his selfless running. He also dropped back in front of McKenna in the closing stages of the game to help us close things out.
    Hughie is now a key component of this team. He was excellent today.

I was never one of his biggest fans. Times I thought he should not be allowed into the grounds let aone play, but I thought he was good in the Tyrone league game and was excellent today on everything that was asked of him.
    Things might not have gone well for Murphy in the first half, but even then you could see the wise unselfish player he is. Everything he did in the second half really showed that. Played a real captains game and worked his ass off in that half doing what was needed. Settled us down and gave cover to or backline,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

I am sure you guys are still intoxicated ( not literally or perhaps literally ) in the aftermath of your victory.

Giving you the heads up re a programme pre The Sunday Game.

The Geansai at 21.00.

A small rural club in Northwest Donegal pulled together to bring an Ulster provincial title back to Gaoth Dobhair for the first time ever.

Brendan Devenney had some interesting thoughts on the OTB AM preview of today's match.I really enjoy listening to him.

Not too sure if you'd agree.General gist was that Donegal club football has gone very defensive to the detriment of the development of new Neil Mc Gees Paddy Mc Graths...Blanket defences allows one to offload defensive responsibilities ( lazy defending ) and forwards are not enjoying their game/flourishing.You might think it's all codswallop.:)

Thus far only viewed morsels and highlights of the game so far but if the Ulster campaign does not burn you out Donegal are a serious outfit.Same obvious with likelihood Tyrone would likely have gone far if a back door was available.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

Great to get the victory over the neighbours but was disappointed with our starting selection especially with Mc Brearty not starting we only had Jamie Brennan in the full forward line but I thought Thompson was outstanding today showed real leadership...it’s so encouraging to win a tight game with Ryan Mc Hugh & Murphy being quiet , EBG having a nightmare (unusually for him) & Mc Brearty not playing. Armagh will be no pushover but still good to be still in contention.
    Listened Peter Canavans analysis of the game on BBC he really doesn’t like us ! He must have had a bad holiday experience in Bundoran ðŸ˜႒

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Great to get the victory over the neighbours but was disappointed with our starting selection especially with Mc Brearty not starting we only had Jamie Brennan in the full forward line but I thought Thompson was outstanding today showed real leadership...it’s so encouraging to win a tight game with Ryan Mc Hugh & Murphy being quiet , EBG having a nightmare (unusually for him) & Mc Brearty not playing. Armagh will be no pushover but still good to be still in contention.
    Listened Peter Canavans analysis of the game on BBC he really doesn’t like us ! He must have had a bad holiday experience in Bundoran ðŸ˜႒

Just watched the Armagh v Derry game played in much better conditions than ours on a better pitch and I didn`t see anything that would scare horse.
    Have you meet a Tyrone supporter that likes us ?
    In fairness the same is true in reverse.
    Peter may have got bad spuds at a wedding in the Holyrood.
    (McEniff tells a great yarn about that can cause from his playing days)

seligehgit wrote: »
    I am sure you guys are still intoxicated ( not literally or perhaps literally ) in the aftermath of your victory.

Giving you the heads up re a programme pre The Sunday Game.

The Geansai at 21.00.

A small rural club in Northwest Donegal pulled together to bring an Ulster provincial title back to Gaoth Dobhair for the first time ever.

Brendan Devenney had some interesting thoughts on the OTB AM preview of today's match.I really enjoy listening to him.

Not too sure if you'd agree.General gist was that Donegal club football has gone very defensive to the detriment of the development of new Neil Mc Gees Paddy Mc Graths...Blanket defences allows one to offload defensive responsibilities ( lazy defending ) and forwards are not enjoying their game/flourishing.You might think it's all codswallop.:)

Thus far only viewed morsels and highlights of the game so far but if the Ulster campaign does not burn you out Donegal are a serious outfit.Same obvious with likelihood Tyrone would likely have gone far if a back door was available.

Not ignoring your post, but a combination of both your first sentence. The latter catching up fast from the prior assumption.
    I`ll have a shot at replying later.

Handy win yourselves, but the next will be a bit tougher I`d say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

A really great result, in abysmal conditions.

Really delighted with the grit and the determination the lads showed because watching that match and the way Donegal failed to get to grips with the conditions, and the catalogue of silly errors, and repeatedly handing soft scores to Tyrone I really feared the worst until the last 5 minutes and the hourglass started to run out for mickeys not so merry men.

Very very difficult to get our transition up to speed today, tough slogging breaking out trying to get bodies up in support but they never gave up. It’s a very satisfying result when you consider Michael and Ryan had probably two of their quietest outings in a Donegal shirt. Delighted to see ciaran Thompson, Michael langan, Stephen mcmenamin, Andrew McLean, Oisin farrah in particular From this new crop make telling contributions and really grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Armagh will be waiting in the long grass, they have a lot of quality, and we need to be very very wary about being caught after doing so much hard work putting Tyrone to the sword.

At the very least, we can hope that we don’t have to play in conditions or a pitch as bad as tonight again this year.

Up Donegal.

Advertisement