Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,152 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

A really great result, in abysmal conditions.

Really delighted with the grit and the determination the lads showed because watching that match and the way Donegal failed to get to grips with the conditions, and the catalogue of silly errors, and repeatedly handing soft scores to Tyrone I really feared the worst until the last 5 minutes and the hourglass started to run out for mickeys not so merry men.

Very very difficult to get our transition up to speed today, tough slogging breaking out trying to get bodies up in support but they never gave up. It’s a very satisfying result when you consider Michael and Ryan had probably two of their quietest outings in a Donegal shirt. Delighted to see ciaran Thompson, Michael langan, Stephen mcmenamin, Andrew McLean, Oisin farrah in particular From this new crop make telling contributions and really grab the game by the scruff of the neck.

Armagh will be waiting in the long grass, they have a lot of quality, and we need to be very very wary about being caught after doing so much hard work putting Tyrone to the sword.

At the very least, we can hope that we don’t have to play in conditions or a pitch as bad as tonight again this year.

Up Donegal.

Mc Gonigle deserves an honourable mention as well. Some great strong running from him ball in hand drawing Tyrone lads in before off loading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

I see Michael McKernan retweeted this a few weeks ago.

https://twitter.com/decentpatter/status/1316095925639675904?s=20 :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

seligehgit wrote: »
    Not too sure if you'd agree.General gist was that Donegal club football has gone very defensive to the detriment of the development of new Neil Mc Gees Paddy Mc Graths...Blanket defences allows one to offload defensive responsibilities ( lazy defending ) and forwards are not enjoying their game/flourishing.You might think it's all codswallop.:)

Whatever the cause, the conclusion is probably correct.
    seligehgit wrote: »
    Thus far only viewed morsels and highlights of the game so far but if the Ulster campaign does not burn you out Donegal are a serious outfit.Same obvious with likelihood Tyrone would likely have gone far if a back door was available.

You will learn nothing much from it other than we showed we can win an elimination game. Conditions were awful and this had a huge impact on the game. A semi final against Dublin would look very very different if it comes to pass.

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Great to get the victory over the neighbours but was disappointed with our starting selection especially with Mc Brearty not starting we only had Jamie Brennan in the full forward line but I thought Thompson was outstanding today showed real leadership...it’s so encouraging to win a tight game with Ryan Mc Hugh & Murphy being quiet , EBG having a nightmare (unusually for him) & Mc Brearty not playing. Armagh will be no pushover but still good to be still in contention.
    Listened Peter Canavans analysis of the game on BBC he really doesn’t like us ! He must have had a bad holiday experience in Bundoran ðŸ˜႒

I was happy enough not to see Paddy McBrearty playing today. Of all our players, those conditions would not suit him. I do hope he will be fit for Armagh as that game will be a shootout and he would do well.

Enjoyed listening to the bitterness and hypocrisy from their manager on the venue and the marking of McKenna.

Watching Derry v Armagh brought back unhappy memories of the Dark Ages (2015-2017). Armagh have some good players but unless we are complacent, we can beat them. We are better defensively and can go toe to toe with them up front. You just don't know how injuries and the weather can help to level the playing field. And you hope that none of our players picked up COVID today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

As others have said, really delighted to see the younger guys step up and win without Murphy, McHugh or McBrearty being our best players.

Remember when we all thought Hugh McFadden was crap? Thought he put in a huge shift especially towards the end.

Great to see guys like McClean, Mogan and McGonigle contribute even if they were caught in possession a bit.

Worrying about Neil McGee, great first half but hard to see him be able to play week after week in this weather.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Enjoyed listening to the bitterness and hypocrisy from their manager on the venue and the marking of McKenna.

Watching Derry v Armagh brought back unhappy memories of the Dark Ages (2015-2017). Armagh have some good players but unless we are complacent, we can beat them. We are better defensively and can go toe to toe with them up front. You just don't know how injuries and the weather can help to level the playing field. And you hope that none of our players picked up COVID today.

Never mind Mickey. I would not hold being bitter against him.After beating them in the league and championship in short order, we have more than likely handed him his P45.
    Armagh have a few handy forwards, but I was surprised how dodgy they were under the high ball into their backline.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭henke

Delighted to win today and maybe not major but after the the progress of the last two years we still lost the only straight knockout games we played both times so today was the first straight knockout match this group has won. Hopefully that helps in some way. If we perform to our best we should still be stronger than the rest of Ulster but need to be prepared and take nothing for granted.

I really do hope we do get a crack at Dublin because it is the year to beat them. They have no super 8s to iron out any chinks they may have in their armour and realistically they can only ever be knocked out in a AI Semi or Final. Anyway won't look too far ahead yet.

Armagh game will be live on Sky, so assume BBC won't have it.

Guess I'll have to get a sky subscription as normally a game on sky is an excuse to go to the pub. Probably for the best with that throw in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Guess I'll have to get a sky subscription as normally a game on sky is an excuse to go to the pub. Probably for the best with that throw in time.

There are day passes you can get to save yourself the pain with sky.

2020 Senior Final fixed for Easter 2021.

Hopefully Michael Hegarty won't be overage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I drop in and out of here and doubt any of ye know me. Until this time I have never missed a donegal senior league or championship football match in about 20 years.

My first match that my dad brought me to was a league final against meath where we lost. I was there in 92 when I was 12 and been hooked since. Luckily being from tipp there was no conflict but my dad was a donegal minor so I was going to be a donegal supporter anyway.

But I wanted to share something that has never made me prouder and completely took me by surprise. My dad's club is Saint Michael's and won the under 16 County with them. In 2017 on the 28th December we went up as the team were being awarded for the win. Out of the blue someone started describing that they were 16 points down at half time and then: well this is my fb post of what I remember

Very proud of my father Henry Shannon, being honoured last night by his football team, st.michaels donegal, for winning the under 16 county championship in 1967. 16 points down at half time and to come back was some achievement. Also honoured for scoring the best goal the club has ever seen. Against the wind grabbed the ball on his goal line, soloed the entire pitch and split the net to go ahead and win. All Ireland tickets guaranteed for life. Also, it’s his birthday today but forgets how old.

I haven't seen my parents since lockdown but rang him last night to tell him how proud I am of him.

My other favourite donegal story is being at a function and getting blitzed. Woke up with a mother of all hangovers and hugging a picture. No recollection of the night before. Pieced together through messages that I bid a crazy amount for a signed match worn all Ireland Jersey. Thankfully Jimmy was winning matches.

Good man Joe. I was at that League Final against Meath as well. Like me, you have seen plenty of bad days and a few good ones at this stage.

Happy birthday to your auld boy. Pity there is no footage of that goal. If it's better than any scored by Colm Anthony or Christy it must have been something else!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Breffni, Saturday at 1.15 live on Sky.

Kerry's defeat should certainly focus the minds. Knock out football is a cruel mistress.

Never expect complacency in a team with Michael Murphy but there is always the risk it might creep in. We have a lot of experienced guys involved anyway so there will be nobody looking past Armagh on Saturday.

Any predictions if (/when) we win against Armagh?

Any predictions if (/when) we win against Armagh?

If we beat Armagh I predict we will be in an ulster final.

First off, Armagh have been awful in Ulster for a long time now. Beating Down last year was a novelty. In the 5 years before that, they have lost to Cavan (x 2) Fermanagh, Down, some team managed by the current Derry manager. Haven't been in the Ulster Final since 2008. Haven't played in Division 1 since we relegated them in 2012.

So they have little pedigree anymore. Recent form - shown up by the same Roscommon team that were so flat on Sunday and didn't impress anyone in beating Derry. Yes, they can kick scores, but their defence is very poor.

We struggle with teams that play very defensive football. Armagh won't set up that way as far as I know, or, if the do, it won't be as effective as those that make a habit of doing it. If we have our shooting boots on we will win. Paddy being back might help with that, but, if we get the returns we have seen from Langan and Thompson lately we won't need him. Jamie Brennan should do well as only tends to struggle against the better teams. McHugh and Murphy were 'quiet' the last day, I don't expect both of them to be tied up as much on Saturday. Patton sold EBG a pup the last day, good to hear most analysts call that out, it was a day for mistakes, but it's becoming a bit too common - I'd like an error free day on Saturday to prove it's not a habit. If we can start with the same team and bring on Paddy and Farah, great.

Would hope there is no complacency in the camp. 2nd favourites etc is irrelevant. Winning on Saturday is all that matters. As someone who suffered through the 00s, I'll never pass up the chance to beat them.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

First off, Armagh have been awful in Ulster for a long time now. Beating Down last year was a novelty. In the 5 years before that, they have lost to Cavan (x 2) Fermanagh, Down, some team managed by the current Derry manager. Haven't been in the Ulster Final since 2008. Haven't played in Division 1 since we relegated them in 2012.

So they have little pedigree anymore. Recent form - shown up by the same Roscommon team that were so flat on Sunday and didn't impress anyone in beating Derry. Yes, they can kick scores, but their defence is very poor.

We struggle with teams that play very defensive football. Armagh won't set up that way as far as I know, or, if the do, it won't be as effective as those that make a habit of doing it. If we have our shooting boots on we will win. Paddy being back might help with that, but, if we get the returns we have seen from Langan and Thompson lately we won't need him. Jamie Brennan should do well as only tends to struggle against the better teams. McHugh and Murphy were 'quiet' the last day, I don't expect both of them to be tied up as much on Saturday. Patton sold EBG a pup the last day, good to hear most analysts call that out, it was a day for mistakes, but it's becoming a bit too common - I'd like an error free day on Saturday to prove it's not a habit. If we can start with the same team and bring on Paddy and Farah, great.

Would hope there is no complacency in the camp. 2nd favourites etc is irrelevant. Winning on Saturday is all that matters. As someone who suffered through the 00s, I'll never pass up the chance to beat them.

They wouldn't want to be reading your post then. :)

• Advertisement

Looks like that late run in our previous Championship match has ruled Paddy McGrath out on Saturday.

Paddy McBrearty and Neil McGee available apparently.

Paddy carried a lot of ball late on and shipped a few hits. Was sirpised to see him come on but he is reliable.

We need to get McBrearty back on the pitch. It's such a pity how he hasn't had a decent run since the ulster campaign in 2018. Won't threaten much for bigger honours without someone of his ability firing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Hearing from Armagh Riain O’Neill rolled his ankle and will be out tomorrow.

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Hearing from Armagh Riain O’Neill rolled his ankle and will be out tomorrow.

That wiley Armagh manager is probably saving him for the Final.

Just hearing Mickey Harte is gone as Tyrone manager.

charlie14 wrote: »
    Just hearing Mickey Harte is gone as Tyrone manager.

So?

Biggest managerial news tonight is in Donegal.

Rory Kavanagh to take charge at St Eunans

And.... Maxi Curran to take charge in Gaoth Dobhair.

So?

Biggest managerial news tonight is in Donegal.

Rory Kavanagh to take charge at St Eunans

And.... Maxi Curran to take charge in Gaoth Dobhair.

Good for Rory........God help Gaoth Dobhair

I see Maxi is just the coach with Cassidy and Joe Duffy as joint managers. Has Cassidy retired (again)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Maxi, oh sweet Jesus....

• Advertisement

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Maxi, oh sweet Jesus....

Sorry for your troubles.

Advertisement