Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Shame on those who doubted him as we may never see someone like him again.

I don't think anyone doubted him - where are you getting that from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Anyone any idea what time throw in might be since our quarter final is a Saturday? Just tried to have a look back and previous Saturday games seem to be early evening...

Is it definitely on the Saturday jimmy? Is this because Dublin will be given the Sunday slot or where did you see that confirmed?

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Is it definitely on the Saturday jimmy? Is this because Dublin will be given the Sunday slot or where did you see that confirmed?

Well it's been on the GAA's website for a while now if you going into the fixtures page, now I could only think they might play it somewhere else but always presumed from quarters onwards it was Croke Park.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/

Well it's been on the GAA's website for a while now if you going into the fixtures page, now I could only think they might play it somewhere else but always presumed from quarters onwards it was Croke Park.

http://www.gaa.ie/fixtures-and-results/national-fixtures/gaa-football-all-ireland-senior-championship/

You could be right there jimmy. According to the latest news the matches are played either the Saturday or Sunday (listed as 9th/10th) so we could be out either day. However the Kilkenny hurling semi-final is down for the Sunday so it looks like it will be a double header on the Saturday with Dublin - tickets won't be easy got if that is the case!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

So Donegal will be playing either Kildare, Meath or Armagh in Croke Part on Saturday 9th August?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

If it was the Bank Holiday weekend there was a chance of a Dublin stand alone match, but the GAA seem to have stopped them in the last couple of years. I'd imagine it will be a sell out regardless of the pairings. Also IIRC these 2 matches are on Sky.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Glenman wrote: »
    So Donegal will be playing either Kildare, Meath or Armagh in Croke Part on Saturday 9th August?

Donegal will play Meath or Armagh is how RTE put it. However if Armagh beat Meath and Kildare beat Monaghan then on the face of it there is no reason for Donegal not to meet Kildare and Dublin to meet Armagh. If either Meath or Monaghan win then it has to be Meath/Armagh for Donegal and Monaghan/Kildare for Dublin.

Glenman wrote: »

There seems to be some confusion over this, the Sunday Game had it down as the winners of Meath/Armagh. A poster here had a link to the indo saying this draw is locked in, so Donegal will play the losing Leinster finalists Meath or the team that beats them, Armagh.

I'm not 100% but if RTE have it that way..........

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

K-9 wrote: »
    There seems to be some confusion over this, the Sunday Game had it down as the winners of Meath/Armagh. A poster here had a link to the indo saying this draw is locked in, so Donegal will play the losing Leinster finalists Meath or the team that beats them, Armagh.

I'm not 100% but if RTE have it that way..........

yes I think thats correct, it has been that way from the beginning

• Advertisement

snowgal wrote: »

True, it rings a bell now that you mention it!

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    You could be right there jimmy. According to the latest news the matches are played either the Saturday or Sunday (listed as 9th/10th) so we could be out either day. However the Kilkenny hurling semi-final is down for the Sunday so it looks like it will be a double header on the Saturday with Dublin - tickets won't be easy got if that is the case!

I would blooming hope it's the Saturday it's on Ceist cause soon as the game finished yesterday I booked myself into hotel for the Saturday! GAA offering package too ticket for both quarters and semi for €55 FYI.

I think the confusion has been brought about by the GAA themselves - see their note in my link on the latest news above - pasted again here. This suggests the draw can differ as I outlined above. I guess we won't know for certain until the matches are played this weekend.

"Note: The All-Ireland quarter-final draw is not pre-determined and a draw may be required depending on the Round 4A and 4B results."

K-9 wrote: »
    True, it rings a bell now that you mention it!

feck sake, no seeminly it can change if Armagh/Kildare win!!

SATURDAY 2nd august
    All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Round 4B Qualifiers
    Meath v Armagh, Croke Park, 5pm - Live on Sky Sports
    Kildare v Monaghan, Croke Park, 7pm - Live on Sky Sports

Sunday, August 3
    All-Ireland Senior Football Championship Quarter-Finals
    Kerry v Round 4A Winner, Croke Park, 2pm* - Live on RTÉ
    Mayo v Round 4A Winner, Croke Park, 4pm*- Live on RTÉ

Saturday 9th August
    Donegal v Round 4B Winner, Croke Park, 4pm* - Live on Sky Sports
    Dublin v Round 4B Winner, Croke Park, 6pm* - Live on Sky Sports
    If either/both Meath or Monaghan win their Rd 4b games, there will not require to be a quarter final draw as Donegal cannot meet Monaghan again at this stage and Dublin cannot meet Meath. If neither win, there will be a draw to determine which of the Rd 4b winners (Armagh, Kildare) play which of the Provincial Champions in the All Ireland Quarter Finals.

SATURDAY 2nd august

Sunday, August 3

Saturday 9th August
    If either/both Meath or Monaghan win their Rd 4b games, there will not require to be a quarter final draw as Donegal cannot meet Monaghan again at this stage and Dublin cannot meet Meath. If neither win, there will be a draw to determine which of the Rd 4b winners (Armagh, Kildare) play which of the Provincial Champions in the All Ireland Quarter Finals.

Where did you find that Snow?

its on gaa site now just announced!

SATURDAY 2nd august

Sunday, August 3

Saturday 9th August

My reading is only if Kildare and Armagh win (both qualifier winners so no predetermined order) will there be an open draw. Any other permutation is governed by either Dublin or Donegal already playing an opponent/s.

Also Minor games:

FORTHCOMING MINOR FIXTURES
    Electric Ireland All-Ireland Minor Football Championship Quarter-Finals

Saturday, August 2

Donegal v Roscommon, Markievicz Park, 3pm
    Sunday, August 3
    Mayo v Armagh, Croke Park, 12pm
    Monday, August 4
    Dublin v Cork, Semple Stadium, 2pm
    Kerry v Kildare, Semple Stadium, 3.45pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Double header with the Dubs and both games live on Sky only. Could be tight enough going for those who don't have season tickets or aren't club members.

Minors play Roscommon in Sligo on Saturday. Don't think I'll make that unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Double header with the Dubs and both games live on Sky only. Could be tight enough going for those who don't have season tickets or aren't club members.

Minors play Roscommon in Sligo on Saturday. Don't think I'll make that unfortunately.
    Well most recent Dublin qfs well well short of sell-outs,even double headers- I know Donegal have a big support and maybe the other teams this year will bring bigger supports,but would be surprised if tkts are a problem.

ps thx for congrats-little girl. If shed been born after match i might still have called her Jim:D.

@ K9 it looked to me like there was plenty personal in yesterdays victory- id say a few of donegals older crew were really dyin to get one over on that shower.

harpsman wrote: »
    Well most recent Dublin qfs well well short of sell-outs,even double headers- I know Donegal have a big support and maybe the other teams this year will bring bigger supports,but would be surprised if tkts are a problem.

Both games will be on Sky only so that might boost the attendance. But yeah, I guess it would do well to be a sell out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Confirmed for 4pm on Saturday 9th.
    Dublin at 6pm.
    Time to start the prayers again and hopefully we can push on and improve even more from yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Congrats to Donegal. Very well deserved Ulster Title. I felt that the draw was perfect this year and allowed McGuinness to get the team to peak at the right time.

I must admit that I thought that Donegal would need Murphy and McFadden to hit top form but others are now stepping up tp the plate. Resources are being expertly managed and if injuries are avoided then I can see Donegal as the one side that could trouble Dublin.

I'm not a fan of defensive football but if my county (Cork) were succeeding by perfecting the blanket defence, I wouldn't care. Not much good entertaining and losing - it's all about winning.

Congrats to Donegal. Very well deserved Ulster Title. I felt that the draw was perfect this year and allowed McGuinness to get the team to peak at the right time.

I must admit that I thought that Donegal would need Murphy and McFadden to hit top form but others are now stepping up tp the plate. Resources are being expertly managed and if injuries are avoided then I can see Donegal as the one side that could trouble Dublin.

I'm not a fan of defensive football but if my county (Cork) were succeeding by perfecting the blanket defence, I wouldn't care. Not much good entertaining and losing - it's all about winning.

Fair play to you - at least someone gets it.

Most of us have lived through an era where Donegal had good footballers but we never won anything worth a damn and were constantly second best to Armagh and lost regularly in Ulster. There are some in Donegal who would decry the football we play under Jim McGuinness but most people I know are thankful for what he has done for the County team. We can also see what it means to him to be manager - just witness him running onto the pitch to embrace his players after the match yesterday - it was just like the aftermath of the 2011All Ireland Quarter Final. It's not just his cold calculating approach to the game, it's his ethuasiasm and passion that we love.

Some of the bile in the Ulster Final match thread was amusing to read. As was a tweet from Redmond Barry that the Irish Times printed today. I don't let it bother me anymore, I just smile and think of the success we've enjoyed in recent years. If others want their counties to play 'nice' football and win SFA, that's fine.

The AI S/F in 2012 was a pretty good game, one of the highlights of the year, so it shows Donegal can mix it with the best of them and play attacking stuff when it suits.

Yesterday was always going to be a battle of attrition, don't know why people bother watching stuff they know they'll hate!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Don't like the idea of a double header with the Dubs.It's a pain in the arse having them around save for when we're not playing them.

No disrepect intended, just everywhere's usually packed with Jackeens!

We've got a really good chance of getting to a Semi.

Still smilling from yesterday. Ulster means so much, the celebrations yesterday on the pitch were like 2011 and 2012 all over again. You'd swear wed never won one before. The players management and fans. Great times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Most of us have lived through an era where Donegal had good footballers but we never won anything worth a damn and were constantly second best to Armagh and lost regularly in Ulster. There are some in Donegal who would decry the football we play under Jim McGuinness but most people I know are thankful for what he has done for the County team. We can also see what it means to him to be manager - just witness him running onto the pitch to embrace his players after the match yesterday - it was just like the aftermath of the 2011All Ireland Quarter Final. It's not just his cold calculating approach to the game, it's his ethuasiasm and passion that we love.

Some of the bile in the Ulster Final match thread was amusing to read. As was a tweet from Redmond Barry that the Irish Times printed today. I don't let it bother me anymore, I just smile and think of the success we've enjoyed in recent years. If others want their counties to play 'nice' football and win SFA, that's fine.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Have had some awful days at Dgl games. If it means more success ill happily watch Donegal win games 0-01 to 0-00 with a last minute winner. Doesn't bother me in the slightest when you have days like yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Well that was an easy Monday :-)

Delighted with the result yesterday thought we were superb in defence 90% of the game. Apart from the obvious candidates already said I'll only say one thing. Paul Durcans Kickouts were absolute top class

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Gary Neville

Well that was an easy Monday :-)

Delighted with the result yesterday thought we were superb in defence 90% of the game. Apart from the obvious candidates already said I'll only say one thing. Paul Durcans Kickouts were absolute top class

I thought the same - I remember one kick-out, in particular that he landed right into Kavanagh's chest - that gives a mobile MF'er a huge advantage. Cluxton, Morgan and Durcan are all great at kick-outs.

Our Keeper, Ken O Halloran, is a great shot stopper but brutal at kick-outs - if there was a transfer market in GAA, we'd be trying to get Durcan to Cork.:)

Durcan also made 1 great save where he was off his line like lightening - there was some discussion about whether it should have been a penalty but it wasn't given and so it was maybe a game-changing save.

I would nearly have had Durcan as man of the match.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Wasnt the only one-McConville and Canavan on BBC, McStay and Spillane on RTE, Michael Quirke on RTE radio-same oul ****-you knew what you were going to get so if you dont like it go watch the golf and let somebody who wants to analyse the game do it-in fairness to Canavan he has a great football brain and a dry sense of humour.
    Tbh the more whingin i hear the more i savour the success now

Advertisement