Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Murphy14 wrote: »
    Club championship draw today at 11am

any word when last years final gonna be played?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

any word when last years final gonna be played?

Some suggestion it might be just before the 2021 championship which is very unfair for the clubs involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

St Eunans v Kilcar the standout tie as far as I can see based on today's draw.

But have forgotten how this format is meant to work so no idea of the significance.

Beggars belief that 2020 final would be delayed further.

Play it this Sunday.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    St Eunans v Kilcar the standout tie as far as I can see based on today's draw.

But have forgotten how this format is meant to work so no idea of the significance.

Beggars belief that 2020 final would be delayed further.

Play it this Sunday.

'Significance' outside of it being a standout fixture is not alot given there are 3 other games to play. Albeit they might get shafted with the draw for round 3 and round 4 and get Naomh Conaill / Gaoth Dobhair.

Open draw for the quarter finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

2 groups of 8, first 4 in each group qualify for the quarter finals.

'Significance' outside of it being a standout fixture is not alot given there are 3 other games to play. Albeit they might get shafted with the draw for round 3 and round 4 and get Naomh Conaill / Gaoth Dobhair.

Open draw for the quarter finals.

Is it not one big group of 16 with the top 8 qualifying? That’s the way it was last year. The group A and B drawn yesterday is just to determine the home and away teams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

TBH the draw was a bit of a mess, it almost led you to think that the lads themselves weren't sure what they were doing!
    First they put the first 8 teams into bag A and the second 8 into bag B and drew them out against each other - so predetermining who was in A and who was in B!
    Second time around they fixed (by picking 8 balls from a bag containing all 16) this but at no point did they explain what group A actually meant for the competition. All they said was as Doc put it, A was home for the first round and away for the second round.
    They never said A was a group of 8 and B another group of 8 - nor could they be given teams in A are not playing each other, they are playing teams in B.
    So based on how the draw was eventually conducted I would agree with Doc, it's one big group of 16 with the top 8 after the 4 rounds qualifying.

As clear as ever so!

I thought it was two separate groups based on what they were saying afterwards but the one big group sounds right in hindsight. You'd need a PHD to figure out what they were at yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

It’d be nice to see Conor O Donnell in from the beginning tomorrow.

It’d be nice to see Conor O Donnell in from the beginning tomorrow.

Tbh, it would be nicer to see some of our defence get a bit more game time. OMCFF and more SMM hopefully. Gillespie injured again I hear.

Well, Conor O'Donnell named to start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Neither of the Brennans nor EBG in the 26.

The shame of losing last year's Ulster Final grows.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The shame of losing last year's Ulster Final grows.

As disappointing as it was, I'm still of the opinion that if we were to lose an Ulster Final, that was the one to lose. Given how ill prepared we were shown up to be, there was a severe hammering from Dublin awaiting, and Cavan are a likeable bunch. But Jesus, its absolutely insane that Ulster champions have dropped to Division Four though

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FreeChocco

Any suggestions why McGettigan is playing ahead of Gallen?

FreeChocco wrote: »
    Any suggestions why McGettigan is playing ahead of Gallen?

Faith, I hope. He looked like the occassion got to him the last day. I have a feeling he might be switched before throw-in. Maybe not though.

I’d still rather see Gallen play 70mins against the best team in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

6 changes to the team as listed in the programme. Ah Declan lad you're an awful messer.

moghrasa wrote: »
    6 changes to the team as listed in the programme. Ah Declan lad you're an awful messer.

I dislike this dummy team crap. Into the Donegal staring line up comes Eoin McHugh, Odhran McFadden Ferry, Ethan O’Donnell, Hugh McFadden, Niall O’Donnell and Oisin Gallen

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Dublin will have spent the afternoon trying to prepare McGettigan. Its a masterplan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 shipkast5

Ref will put ball over bar himself yet for the Dubs, different rule books for both teams

Is Ryan McHugh suffering from the mid career meltdown curse that his brother suffered with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,093 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Is Ryan McHugh suffering from the mid career meltdown curse that his brother suffered with?

Definitely well off the boil this year. But then in fairness to him when really asked to play the position of the number on his back he is not a wing back.
    I was starting to believe we had improved at the back, (even if at times when we won the ball we were no geniuses at getting it out of there), up until the goal went in. That said, it is going better at this stage than I was expecting.
    Brannigan has been a mystery to me for year with some of his decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Exclusion zone around the Dublin players. Donegal have zero physicality in the tackle. F**kin about soloing. Can't kick the ball accurately. Symptomatic of Bonners reign. Needed that Gallen chance to go in.

They’re missing EBG and Mogan for ball carrying skills.

Not as bad as feared on the scoreboard, but we learned nothing from that. Strengths and weaknesses are obvious.

McGettigan did well.

Not as bad as feared on the scoreboard, but we learned nothing from that. Strengths and weaknesses are obvious.

McGettigan did well.

Thought Conor O Donnell did himself no harm either. Eoin Mc Hugh back to running down blind alley`s and coughing up possession. I would have happily taken that result before the game. Especially after the trimming Kerry handed out earlier.

The more I see of Eoin McHugh and Daire O Baoill, the more I’m convinced they’re well below the standard needed to be a top four team. Ciaran Thompson fairly anonymous today.
    Great to see McGettigan making amends, it’ll do his confidence no harm and Conor O Donnell & McCole showing well. McGonagle is maturing into a fine player. Let’s hope MacNiallais is sorted for Down, he was in good form. As much as I sometimes moan about Jamie Brennan, he would have been useful in winning the 1on1 ball into the full forward line today with his pace.

The more I see of Eoin McHugh and Daire O Baoill, the more I’m convinced they’re well below the standard needed to be a top four team. Ciaran Thompson fairly anonymous today.
    Great to see McGettigan making amends, it’ll do his confidence no harm and Conor O Donnell & McCole showing well. McGonagle is maturing into a fine player. Let’s hope MacNiallais is sorted for Down, he was in good form. As much as I sometimes moan about Jamie Brennan, he would have been useful in winning the 1on1 ball into the full forward line today with his pace.

O Baoill I`m far from convinced about either and truth be told I have my doubts on Paul Brennan as well. Thompson wasn`t much in it today, but he seemed to have been told to stick mainly to defensive duties.
    Agree on McCole and McGonagle, and Langan has come on nicely this year. MacNiallais is not every-ones cup of tea, but I have always been a fan. On his day he really can be something special.
    Difficult to know from today as it was a nothing game for both sides, but bar the goal, we looked to have at least a bit of shape at the back. Moreso than the last two games anyway.

Meh.

On to championship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Aaron Doherty with 0-12 today. It’s really strange that he doesn’t seem to be rated by county management.

• Advertisement

Is he Naomh Columba?

Advertisement