Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,927 ✭✭✭doc_17

Jamie Brennan should be starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

CB Twitter account say both teams line out as per. We'll see.

If so, big opportunity for McCole to stake a claim, for McMenamin and OMCFF to get some more game time and Ryan and EBG to show some form.

Unless Down have something they have not shown to date or can play with a similar level of intensity that Cavan showed last year I expect us to win pulling up.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

What's the story there? Murphy had no interest in coming off. I wonder is it him trying to be the hero and play on through injury, or is it the management being overly cautious? One way or the other he didn't look pleased!

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

moghrasa wrote: »
    What's the story there? Murphy had no interest in coming off. I wonder is it him trying to be the hero and play on through injury, or is it the management being overly cautious? One way or the other he didn't look pleased!

I think he asked to come off but the anger was at the officials. Shouldn’t have been in if there was any doubts. Reckless stuff by management.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

I think he asked to come off but the anger was at the officials. Shouldn’t have been in if there was any doubts. Reckless stuff by management.

That would make sense, they've the ice straight onto the thigh there anyway. Officials have had a mare today between Paddy's mark and now the Murphy sub. Not to mention the black card for McMenamin... pitiful

• Advertisement

Down have nothing.

We've kicked some nice scores.

I get annoyed seeing players on a card pulled.

We should have switched McMenamin on to O'Hagan.

Ryan doing well, concerned about Michael but good that we took him off.

Neil McGee looks off the pace. He might be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Deegan just being Deegan. It's fair to say Ryan has found his form, excellent so far from him. EBG is really struggling defensively. Overall it's probably going as expected, we look very good going forward, some lovely scores, especially the one from Paddy taking the pass from Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

That's Murphy out for 4-6 weeks I'd say. Big loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Michael Murphy was a gamble we did not need to take, but it`s done now so hopefully he will be back if not for Derry should we progress, then Tyrone. RMcH going well and PMcB destroying his man. Everyone else going well, but defence still looks porous. EBG should have been switched off B O Hagan and Mc Menamin put on him. Black card for him was a joke. Same with McColl`s yellow.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Murt15

Ridiculous decision to play Murphy, was obvious from the warm up he wasn't right. Same thing happened Jeaic Mc Kelvey last night for his club.

• Advertisement

They’d want to take Ryan off if he’s injured.

Edit: I believe the commentator confused the two McHughs

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭poppers

Dublin or kerry going to score a hatful of goals if we gef that far

The notion that there are no easy games in Ulster is well and truly buried. It has to be good for confidence and good to see some young lads coming on and scoring. But Down were awful. Let's hope Murphy is not going to be out for long, it looks like a really bad decision to play him today.

As an aside Ger Canning really should be put out to pasture now, he's a hopeless commentator.

A complete waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Down were even worse than expected but 16 points of a win is nothing to sneeze at. That said even against a side as poor as Down were it showed up yet again just how poor we are at the back.

Ryan was never injured. He always does that thing where he takes a break after an involvement. Not sure why he does it, maybe it’s for attention!

Ryan and PMB were very good. Thought Langan was good again.

If we can’t beat Derry without MM then we won’t beat Tyrone, Mayo, Kerry or the monetary wing of the GAA.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

Didn't really learn anything today...
    Murphy shouldn't have played if there had been any slight inkling he wasn't right this week, but maybe there wasn't

Ryan, mcbrearty at the level we know they can play, all around good going forward but I'd liked to have seen us work closer scoring chances. Will be under more pressure for long range shots later in the year and accuracy will drop.

Advantage was certainly played for Jamie's goal which killed anything left in it, was a sending off all day long.

Defence still leaky, at least the goal and another couple of chances came when mcmenamin was off but on a consistent basis today it was only o'hagen doing it for down... 6 forwards playing like that isn't a good thought

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

We may well be the first team to score 27 times in a single game in the ulster championship
    (Irish News).

Our forward play is not to be scoffed at and they are operating a high level but all things considered you have to think we're a long way off Dublin / Kerry. Just don't seem to be at it at the back.

Frustrating that Murphy had to hobble off - we just never seem to be playing with a full deck under Bonner which is annoying.

Derry will be interesting.

Good performance from the 20s tonight although Armagh weren’t good. Stand out players I thought were McFadden and Grant (Termon), Shane O’Donnell (St Eunan’s) and Ryan McColgan (Muff).

Tyrone away next Friday.

• Advertisement

doc_17 wrote: »
    Good performance from the 20s tonight although Armagh weren’t good. Stand out players I thought were McFadden and Grant (Termon), Shane O’Donnell (St Eunan’s) and Ryan McColgan (Muff).

Tyrone away next Friday.

I might have that last name wrong, but he’s from Muff. Played corner back but very attacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Derry a huge test. They are flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

eddie73 wrote: »

Don't forget Eddie that they have an utterly unbelievable manager too.

Maybe they are going well. But so are we and we have better players and it’s in MacCumhaill Park. I think we’ll beat a definitely improved Derry

We should be eating these lads for breakfast, even without Murphy. If we can limit the influence of Glass and McGuigan in the game, it should see us out the other side. I have a feeling it will be a day for our long range point scorers.

We should be eating these lads for breakfast, even without Murphy. If we can limit the influence of Glass and McGuigan in the game, it should see us out the other side. I have a feeling it will be a day for our long range point scorers.

I would be happy with a one point win.
    Funny feeling that extra time could be on the cards.

eddie73 wrote: »

I think you are overstating things x 2.

The big question for me is whether we will have enough to win if we don't have Michael.

I think the answer is yes but hard to know if we will see him or not. I'd rather we didn't unless he has got some magic bear piss treatment.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I think you are overstating things x 2.

The big question for me is whether we will have enough to win if we don't have Michael.

I think the answer is yes but hard to know if we will see him or not. I'd rather we didn't unless he has got some magic bear piss treatment.

You can rub my nose in it after the game, I will be glad if it turns out this way.
    BUT I can't stop thinking about
    Armagh and Monaghan getting goals in the league.
    Cavan last year in the ulster final and the hype before it.
    Mayo the previous year and the hype before it.
    Tyrone the previous year and the hype before that game too. (in ballybofey as well).
    I don't want to go back farther than this. They were all results from the same pool of players we have now.
    Hopefully, I will be proved wrong. I still think we can win this game, but only after a huge struggle.

Derry have beaten us x2 at under age level in the past few years.
    Derry are flying and have great form.
    Derry have Gallagher in charge, who knows our lads very well.

May the best team win.

I do think you're putting a glass half empty view on things Eddie.
    The league was a strange one for all counties but the bottom line is we still topped the group.
    In Ulster, with the one exception of Cavan last year, this team have shown that they know how to win.
    For all the praise Derry are getting, they have not been able to manage to translate league form into the championship and I really don't think topping a division 3 group can be classified as flying it tbh.
    As for them having Rory in charge, sure aren't we delighted to have it that way, long may he continue there.
    I doubt anyone expects it to be as easy as Down but I fully expect us to win and I don't expect it to be in question going into the last 10 minutes either.

• Advertisement

If we have it as easy as we did in Newry, shame on Derry.

I hope they give us a game, for our sakes.

They have spent the last 2 years in Divisions 3. Who have they beaten? Don't mention the Ulster Champions. They are playing in Division 4 next year.

For all the damage done by other Ulster teams in our Division 1 games this year, we were unbeaten in the league.

If Derry are flying, we are hovering at a higher altitude.

Advertisement