Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Some "positive" stories coming out of Kilcar apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Declan wants to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

Thoughts?

Im not adversed to it, Ulster titles say he's done a good job although not convinced he can take us further and Murphy's time is starting to run out. Not convinced it's his fault that we can't press on either, maybe we just don't have the backs coming through (between injury and skill)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Unless there is some great (realistic) alternative out there, I'm ok with him having another shot next year. I agree that its unlikely that he can bring us any further than he has though. From talking to some people in the county, you'd swear he had PSG levels of talent at his disposal, and has therefore failed, but the answer probably lies somewhere in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Yeah as you say Arnold it's probably somewhere in between. I do think Declan does some things very well. He's extremely professional in his approach, has assembled a good backroom team and as I said before, he gets 100% out of the lads at his disposal. The attitude and desire cannot be questioned.

I do think tactically he is lacking and can there really be such a shortage of defenders in the county that we stack our back 6 with players who might be decent at carrying the ball but are not defenders? There is no way I would say Declan failed, any manager who wins two Ulster titles deserves real credit, but at the same time is there any sign that he can bring any more to the table? Of course when you question whether a manager should stay on, the next question is always who should replace him and in that regard, as has been said, there are no obvious better candidates.

I don't think Declan will get us to an AI final but maybe we're simply not good enough to think we should get there either ... that said, Mayo don't think that way so part of me hopes there is another Jim in the county waiting for his chance!*

* I know there will never be another Jim!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Our back line is a real issue. Playing Ryan there has, in my opinion, been a disaster. Anyone that thinks otherwise needs to watch his defensive performance against Tyrone in the first half. He was brilliant going forward. But we can’t rely on him to track runners.

We need to find defenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

while I agree that our defence isn’t the strongest , after last year’s debacle in the ulster final that should have signaled the end for Bonner & Rochford

Look at the way Mayo have rebuilt …..

The county board have issued a statement saying that the 2020 county final has to be replayed not great timing on the day Naomh Conaill celebrate their centenary but will it be replayed ?

I guess Naomh Conaill will find some grounds to appeal?

Re Declan coming back, unless the County Board are minded to approach someone (who?) I guess he won't be opposed?

It feels like we are a long way off the kind of physicality and defensive aggression it takes. Maybe the defeats of the last 2 years will spark something but I don't see us having the type of players we need to kick on. Forwards win games, defence wins championships etc.

Rochford did a really good interview with the Mayo News before the Dublin/Mayo match. He doesn't sound like a man that ever wants to manage an intercounty team again. If the right club job came along (given he has managed Corofin not sure who that would be), or, a better intercounty offer (closer to home?) came along he might go, but doesn't feel like he would be a candidate to take over from Declan.

• Advertisement

The only manager out there who might make a difference and appears to be available is Malachy O'Rourke. There is nobody within the county. It should also be stated that if Murphy slotted the penalty Tyrone probably would not be in the final. The margins are small. We have a couple of players in the county who would strengthen the squad but not enough to make a significant difference.

Declan Bonner ratified for another term as senior manager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Says a lot about the teams prospects. No other candidates put forward. If only we could find 3 or 4 good inter county players. I think we're that much short of challenging.

It is a 2 year term.

I hear Rochford might be gone?

Good stuff, the 2020 replay will be televised

https://donegalgaa.ie/tg4-to-broadcast-second-2020-senior-final/

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Happy enough to see Declan appointed again. He probably over achieved in his first two years in winning ulster. Definitely under achieved the past two years although without the back door to try to rectify things.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 FreeChocco

Even if Murphy missed the penalty but didn't get immediately sent off afterwards, I reckon we win that match. We have a great record against Tyrone with Bonnar, I think we had beaten them 4 times in a row before that game.

Appeal successful so replay postponed

Donegal CCCCCCCCCC to rehear objection.

Some issue with the video evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

The Co. Board were in an awful fierce panic to get the process completed for Senior Manager. 4 days for nominations? Strange.

An opportunity possibly missed for a shake up/change. Would it have brought success? I am not so sure. The fact that we missed our 36 year old full back so much in the Tyrone game is the tell tale sign that we don't have a conveyor belt of talent to replace our 2012 heroes (a once in a generation Full back I might add.)

Was delighted to see Declan win his ulster titles. He had a very bad run of luck in key games in his Minor/U21 days and deserved better fortune. But, does he have that 'Awe' factor to lure Michael Carroll back; get Jason McGee on the pitch, make better use of Daire O'Baoil, bring Oisin Gallen up to All Star form? Jim had that, but Jim is out of the discussion - He is on his Soccer path and good luck to him.

To quote Rory Kavanagh, we need to find 'hungry dogs' again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 longballer

‘Hungry dogs’, maybe you could recruit the guy in the Donegal geansaí who was prominent in the trophy presentation yesterday. That particular ‘pride of the parish’ fella came across as a hungry dog and a few other things besides. I hope somebody has a word and lets him know that his behaviour didn’t exactly positively represent the proud and decent supporters of Donegal. In short, he was a complete embarrassment.

• Advertisement

EBG going off early today. Hopefully nothing serious but I heard it didn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

Would absolutely agree - A clown for all to see.

My interpretation of a hungry dog however is clearly very different to yours and I don't recall anyone quoting him as 'pride of the parish' on here as you put it. Unfortunately however, every parish has its fair collection of clowns and Tyrone are no different. Two good examples would be:-

• The supporter in the Stands in Healy Park that spat at Karl Lacey, and
    • The pride of parish in Aghyarn that took time out of the red hot battle in Ballybofey to flip the bird to Donegal Fans in the terrace.

Be sure to enjoy the celebrations however. Worthy All Ireland Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

+ Hughie.

Bundoran missing Jamie Brennan after surgery too apparently and Paul Brennan suspended. Killybegs play Bundoran next week - will be an interesting one with the teams missing the 4 county men.

Kilcar / Eunans was a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

I think there may have been fingers stuck in a Donegal's player's mouth as recently as the 2019 Ulster semi-final as well.

Did McNamee really do that? Haven't watched any of the game back at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Didn't see the game but I see Eoin McHugh was wearing the number 3 jersey. I guess everyone thinks he's a full back now.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Judging by Keiran Gillespie’s social media, it looks like he’s done his cruciate again.

The lad is haunted. Hard to see him coming back from this one. You can only wish him well.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Jesus that’s such a blow. I’d say he is fit to pull his hair out at this point. Is that the 3rd time he’s done the ACL? Such unbelievable misfortune.

I wonder what the craic is with Conor Morrison, last I had heard of him was in an interview he did with Donegal News. Does anyone here know will he be involved with Eunans this autumn, or is he still recovering? In fact in that article I think it mentioned him having a job down the country, so maybe he’ll not be involved this year at all, whether he’s fit or not.

The hunt for inter-county quality defenders drags on!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

Gutted if that's true for Gillespie, looked a natural replacement for Neil in the few games he came in

Advertisement