Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Great performance by Cloughaneely today to finally get over the line. Jason McGee was majestic, showing the ability we all know he has.

The comments from John Haran over the last week or two, about this team, have been disgraceful. Two years ago these lads buried their brother, captain, cousins and friends. They came back and were shafted by the county board that year. An individual mistake cost them last year. Last week they got out of jail. However they persevered and got their reward today. As a team they could have folded after the tragedy but they got their reward today.

John Haran should recognise bottlers, he played with enough of them. They are not to be found in this Cloughaneely team.

Paddy Campbell joining the backroom team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Happy enough with that draw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Its a cliche, but there are no easy draws in Ulster, and thats not too bad. A home game against a tough team, but winnable, and a reasonable semi final should we jump that hurdle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Hi Folks,

I see the league fixtures have been confirmed from Croker. Is there any value to be had from buying the season ticket? At 150 bucks I don't think there is. Let's say it's €25 a game, that would be the 4 home games plus the Mayo game in Sligo coming to €125. And then you've a free ticket to the first championship game which would round things up to about €150 (they can't charge more than €30 quid for the first Championship game). I don't see any incentive in purchasing the season ticket.

I have bought one but I don't think there is much value in it anymore. Odds of needing a ticket for the Final are slim.

Didn't think Gallen was still U21. No wonder MacCumhaills are going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

The value for a season ticket is with the club + ticket option.

If you go to any club games regularly then it's worth it.

Paddy McGrath retiring.

Fare thee well. One of the very best at going about his work with the minimum of fuss. We haven't anyone fit to replace him at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Fantastic player, vital in 2012. He scored a great point from the wrong side against Tyrone in 2018, was quickly forgotten about given the result that day tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

The new Donegal Jersey is an underwhelming piece of dung.

Agreed.

From far far away it probably looks OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Yep, not a fan. It's like an upside down can of Bulmers!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

Agree. Poor. Cleaner is better. Too much going on with design in addition to too many sponsors. The 2014 O'Neills one was a beaut. One sponsor only. The new one has too much going on and 4 sponsors (2 new sleeve ones). I get County Boards exploring all avenues to get funding in but hate the GAA have approved this only a few years after approving the back sponsor. Wouldn't be shocked to see more been added in future. Only the big counties with big sponsors Limerick, Kerry and Dublin likely to have nice jerseys anymore. Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Our 2012 jersey was probably the ugliest ever.

Think 2005 was worse.

2002 my favourite.

2014 was a beauty too.

Well, MacNiallais gone again

Eoin McHugh too

Who will play full back now when the Ram retires

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Playing with Eoin Mchugh was like playing with 14 men. Pity about Odhran, he’s a different class. I can’t see anything other than a psychological collapse ending our season this year after scraping over the line to a county we should have been beating for an ego boost.

We’ve a new shrink in the backroom setup. I suggest she start with the manager.

Grim times ahead. Is the McKenna Cup televised anywhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

MacNiallais was a loss in 2015. He never did anything for us since he came back. Even at club level this past few years he was average. He went through a tough time and I hope he’s out the other side. But he’s been seriously overhyped for what he’s cruelly delivered in the last couple of years.

Any new names in the panel? It’s like fu***$ omertà these days.

I'd expect to see a few of the Eunans fellas (Tobin? Mulgrew? Shane O'Donnell?) get a look.

No idea after that.

Don’t think Tobin is involved. 20’s perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

I see getting to a McKenna cup final hasn't caused much excitement around here.

For all the talk about players stepping away after Declan's reappointment, bar McNiallais and E McHugh we're looking at pretty much the same squad as last year. I guess McClenaghan and C O'Donnell will get some opportunities in the league. Still look very short in the full back line although hopefully McCole can continue to develop.

Should have a good league. Four very winnable home games (except whoever we play in Letterkenny) and Mayo in sligo so we shouldn't be fighting relegation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,092 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Barring the last 15 minutes of that McKenna cup final there was not much could be said for it. I know we started with a few debutants compared to Monaghan starting 11 of their Ulster Final team but until we brought on Murphy we looked like a poor Div 3 outfit. Shooting was terrible until Michael appeared and then we could do no wrong. I was hoping we could have the luxury of easing him back into the latter stages of the league and have him fresh for a championship that is going to be run off so fast, but on that showing it does not look like it. He is the one jewel we have, and him having to work like a horse day in #and day out to drag us out of trouble, especially as he is not getting any younger, has to stop if we are hoping to go anywhere. In fairness I thought McCole did well and I would not be overly harsh on the rest of the full back line, but that half back line was terrible. First half Monaghan just waltzed through it without a hand being laid on them.

Hopefully we learned from it and the performance against Mayo is an improvement, but if there is one thing we are good at it is not learning from past experiences. Regularly giving away league points from having games in Letterkenny is beyond insane at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭moghrasa

Aye hard to be inspired by the Monaghan game. For 50 minutes we looked post going forward, and I wouldn't say we looked any tighter at the back than we have for the last few years. I've a lot of respect for the lad but I just fear Bonner is clean out of ideas at this point.

Murphy coming stimulated a bit of quality from us, but while I accept we'll never play as well without him it's worrying that we go to pot completely in his absence. Tomorrow is the first real test, and we'll know by this time tomorrow what kind of shape we're in for the year

Low enough hopes for this year and last Saturday didn't help.

Of course Patton and Hugh are very important to how we play but concerning our defence looked so bad.

Conor O'Donnell was very disappointing - 4 wides and no score iirc?

Tomorrow will be a big test. It is also an opportunity as it is a neutral venue and opposition won't be at full strength. We'll see.

Hope to make the game. First intercounty since August 2019 I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

Worried about tomorrow and the league in general. I think Mayo will beat us.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

A real softness has creeped into Donegal nowadays it’s been plain to see in Declan’s time. I know it’s only the first game of the league but it’s going to be a long season putting up with this. Well on the front foot today for 60 mins and the decision making and playing about with the ball at the back cost us the 2 points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,092 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

For once I would not be overly harsh on our defense. For the last 15 mins it was Castlebar 2019 all over again. We were being so totally muscled out of it out the field and getting caught in possession, that every time it was played out of defence if was coming straight back in. I don`t think Bonner`s substitutions helped either. None of our subs added anything from what I saw. When a team is on the rack as Mayo were today, then I would look on it as a better tactic to use subs to nullify what they are sending on rather than just throwing in lads just for the sake of giving them a run.

Advertisement