Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Meh, Soupy probably the biggest loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Now a suspension proposed for Rian O'Neill....was this for something that happened during play or after?

That would be a huge loss if it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Armagh are appealing the suspensions apparently.......Donegal are not...what's to lose...no harm in trying ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

What's to lose is that it appears that the appeal is what led to the proposed ban for O'Neill! If they didn't appeal then he would have been free to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,092 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I was surprised when McFerry-Fadden was one of the Donegal pair that O`Neill escaped as he was clearly involved in the ruckus with one of our panel from what I saw as McFerry-Fadden.

For once our county board may actually have been boxing clever. After the Tyrone appeal failing a few weeks before it was odds on that an appeal was not going to work. By us not appealing as on paper at least their loses looked greater than our, it put more pressure on the council not to back down from the original ban. If O`Neill is now in trouble it shows ours was the correct decision not to appeal, and Armagh may be further punished for doing so.

I`m probably giving way too much credit to the county board mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

I didn't think of that, will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Not to be for the ladies. Felt it was there for them.

• Advertisement

So Armagh won the second appeal for the ban that was added in their first appeal (which failed), good for them, I'm sure they learned something here.

All Armagh players cleared to play by the DRA. Epic performance by our county board.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

They should listen to Eamon from now on. I thought they'd turned a corner on stamping out any nonsense with upholding the Tyrone suspensions in the league, but clearly not. Even so, we just need to go out and beat them on Sunday now

That is a complete joke. Based on that decision seems like as far as the DRA are concerned nothing what so ever happened so why should our pair not now be eligible to play as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

I have a half written reply that I never posted when Armagh's appeal/us not was announced...

"Can't help but be curious how this will go with us not appealling. Usually everyone appeals, everyone gets off...

Other sports you can get a ban increased for just changing your arm a bit"

I actually thought the county board may have been doing the right thing when we were only down one starter to their 3, especially with the recent GAA talk of respecting refs, discipline following the Tyrone game. Donegal set it up on a platter for them to show a bit of a stance, then with O'Neill cited too, looked like a maybe... But nope, usual rules for championship it is

• Registered Users Posts: 14,610 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Donegal are hardly streaming their Nickey Rackard match this weekend are they?

Feels like we have gone back in time to when we were worried about facing Armagh.

So many questions about this team and the level they can get to for 70 minutes.

I don't think much of Pauric McShea analysis generally but I think he was on the money this week re Patton kick outs. If Armagh give us a short kick out, fine. Otherwise, drive it to their 45 and challenge your big men to win it. It is one of our most effective weapons.

What is going on with Ryan McHugh and will he ever be the player he was again?

Is Michael still capable of carrying this team and is he fit to hit a 45?

Can Conor O'Donnell step up now it is Championship? Does Paddy have it in him to deliver against Armagh, again?

We have to try and take O'Neill out of it and force the rest of them to beat us. I think McMenamin should mark him.

No idea if we will win or not. Like to think we can but concerned about the confidence in this team.

Up Donegal.

I see we're going with 4 defenders again!

Turned out 4 was plenty! I really wasn't expecting it to be quite so comfortable. Despite some very wasteful kicking in the first half, we were much the better team and good to see Ryan has found his mojo again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

The start of the second half aside, that was pretty dominant. Did our talking on the pitch which was great to see. I don’t expect lightning to strike twice against Cavan next time out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Great win! Should have been more comfortable but our kicking wasnt 100%.

I wonder will Armagh appeal the result?

Very good performance all around. It was absolute peak Murphy today which is always a joy and bodes well.

Must have been an awkward enough wind, both were a bit wasteful shooting into the river end

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭ATR72

Oisin McConville looked like he was about to have a meltdown. Armagh got a reality check today.

Great performance. Especially after the GAA appeals shambles. Probably could have had a few more goals and left a few points behind us, especially in the first half. but fair dues to Paddy. Having a quite day and steps up to put the game to bed. You cannot beat class.

Great all round team performance, but a few still stood out. McGee in the first half was outstanding, Langan looked dangerous all day, Patton very solid, one good save and kick outs very excellent. Michael was like a Rolls Royce out there. McFadden and Ban Gallagher worked their socks off, and the two I felt really hurt Armagh were McHugh and Mogan.

They did give me a few palpitations getting the ball out of defense a few times. Few times I thought we were forced to play it around at the back as there was nobody giving an option for an out ball, but overall very solid at the back. Off the bench did well, especially McGonagle, and Paul Brennan wasn`t on long enough to do any damage. I`m probably biased, but there is just something about him i do not trust

Keep up that performance, sharpen up a bit on our shooting and we could go far.

Three more than required!

Yet again a McGeeney team failed to live up to the hype.

Apart from a few minutes of madness at the start of the second half we controlled the game. For once we didn't offer up soft goal chances.

I don't think I've ever seen Michael Murphy so animated on the pitch. He was letting Forker know who was boss today. When Rafferty tried to start nonsense after the game he followed him down the pitch wishing him well in the qualifiers. Most importantly, unlike the Armagh lads, his football spoke volumes for the man.

Our full back line played very well as a unit. McCole continues to impress and dominated a much vaunted opponent today.

Hughie offered them great protection but his use of the ball was shocking. Ryan was back to his best, and along with Bán and Mogan carried the game to Armagh. Jason was the dominant midfielder on display. In the forward line Thompson, Langan and Brennan all had moments and will improve with the game time. Paddy was quiet until it mattered. Shane O'Donnell is really beginning to look the part. He had a major impact today.

On the negative side, we dropped four balls short in the first half which is criminal and will be punished by better teams. Our kick outs were an issue in the second half, even allowing for a tricky wind. When we went short we failed on a number of occasions to break the Armagh press and turned the ball over. When we went long our jumpers were isolated on occasion.

It was an important win but there is still room for improvement.

To win by 7 and still have things to work on/improve is a great position to be in.

Injuries to Jason McGee and Hughie are a concern.

Some very dodgy short kick outs.

Thought we were in danger of leaving it behind us at half time. Too many wides/dropped short.

Felt like Armagh were playing within themselves. They hit hard, sometimes legally. Our defence/tackling is too soft.

Sure enough, came at us but could not score. Dunno what McConville is whining about. The player who had the goal disallowed shouldn't have been on the pitch. Swings and roundabouts eh.

After we got the goal game was as good as over. Both sides missed plenty of chances.

Could have won by 10. Armagh have a great management team all the same. Lovely lads too.

After the Tyrone appeals going nowhere I was foolish enough to believe that thing may have changed and posted.

That the whole appeals process has now been shown not fit for purpose in leaving Armagh with a full deck to pick from just leaves yesterday`s result all the sweeter.

Can't really disagree there, wouldn't say the system is biased to anyone but are any suspensions ever held up come championship time? O'Neill got off as it wasn't official footage? Its not even a difficult fix to improve discipline in the game, it's just support refs... Who aren't too bad overall imo

Re redsox: Jason McGee was a blister on the sole of his foot. Camera showed him sitting down/taking the socks off, looked nasty but hopefully should be ok for two weeks time

Good to hear on McGee. Odd though, did it just become too much at some point in the match?

Hopefully have Oisin Gallen back the next day. And we'll have McFadden Ferry as well, although will be get back in?

Was amazed to see Jamie Brennan starting ahead of Conor O'Donnell. Thoughts? Conor kicked a fine score, much like he did for most of the league.

• Advertisement

Just speculating on McGee but the pitch was rock hard yesterday, you could see it from the bounce of the ball, new boots perhaps caused the blister ?

Agree on Conor O`Donnell, from his league performances very unlucky yesterday not to be starting ahead of Jamie Brennan.

Advertisement