Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Who do we want in the quarter?

Pretty unlikely but I'd like to play Kildare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Pretty unlikely but I'd like to play Kildare.

Can't play Kildare now, either Meath or Armagh. We play either the Leinster runners up or who beats them.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Can't play Kildare now, either Meath or Armagh. We play either the Leinster runners up or who beats them.

nah, we can if both kildare and armagh win. which is unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Why is that? I've not looked at the line ups but initially I thought we could get Kildare, Armagh or Meath. All the reports now just said the latter two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Why is that? I've not looked at the line ups but initially I thought we could get Kildare, Armagh or Meath. All the reports now just said the latter two.

It's us against the Leinster runners up or whoever beats them, Armagh.

Dublin versus Monaghan or whoever beats them.

I thought the same as you but it was corrected on here, tbh I think the rule was there the last few years, I just forgot about it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement

I thought the same as you but it was corrected on here, tbh I think the rule was there the last few years, I just forgot about it.

Ok. See I was wondering if there was a chance Monaghan might get a rattle at the Dubs.

Just had a look at the GAA website
    The All-Ireland quarter-final draw is not pre-determined and a draw may be required depending on the Round 4A and 4B results.

Donegal v Round B winner
    Dublin v Round B winner

Kildare v Monaghan
    Meath v Armagh

If Kildare won and Meath lost why couldn't we get Kildare?

I'm hugely confused Ted!

I had hoped Monaghan wouldn't get a go at the dubs before we do. Be better if they just wiped Armagh or someone away.

If Kildare won and Meath lost why couldn't we get Kildare?

I'm hugely confused Ted!

I had hoped Monaghan wouldn't get a go at the dubs before we do. Be better if they just wiped Armagh or someone away.

You're right, if both provincial runner ups lose there's a draw. RTE had it wrong on the Sunday Game.

I'd prefer as well if the Dubs didn't play Monaghan as it'll prepare them for what they'll hopefully face against us in the semi.

You're right, if both provincial runner ups lose there's a draw. RTE had it wrong on the Sunday Game.

I'd prefer as well if the Dubs didn't play Monaghan as it'll prepare them for what they'll hopefully face against us in the semi.

Imagine if Monaghan beat them. Jaysus.

We've a quarter to win first though. Hopefully we don't get too carried away but if there's one thing McGuinness does not do, is get carried away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Wrong!

Donegal can potentially get Armagh, Meath or Kildare.

It's all here

http://www.gaa.ie/gaa-news-and-videos/daily-news/1/2107141421-football-championship-fixture-details-confirmed/

Who do we want in the quarter?

The only team we can't draw is Monaghan, which is probably a good thing.

After that, I really don't know. Kildare have been the least impressive of the remaining teams, closely followed by Meath after Sunday's showing.

I really don't know how good Armagh are based on what I've seen. First day out against Monaghan, they showed good battling qualities but I thought they got Monaghan on an off day - they displayed very little intensity. Second day out, sounded like Monaghan were much the better team. I only had half an eye on the Roscommon game at the weekend, where they seemed to be much more streetwise and were good enough value for the win.

I'd be surprised if Kildare beat Monaghan although it's hard to know where Monaghan are at after Sunday. Still, Monaghan to win, which would leave us facing either Meath or Armagh. I expect Armagh to win, so Armagh it is.

I would hate to lose to Armagh, but a victory is just a step to a semi final and nothing more. In no way will it make up for anything that happened in 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005 or 2006. That was then and this is now.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Only getting online now since Sunday but damn, that was a good day. :D

My only ever so slight negatives (cos to hell with positivity!) would be the McManus point in injury time to lose me my nice little double and the fact that, even though its effective and serves a purpose far greater than my enjoyment, it really is frustrating and a shame to see Michael Murphy playing so deep. The rest of my negative points can be saved for a later day.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Personally I don't really mind as I think we should beat any of the three but possibly the team I would be most confident of beating would be Kildare - I don't think they are good enough to be in a quarter final this year. Armagh will have played a lot of weekends by the 9th so that could work against them. Meath on a given day can be dangerous, especially with the full forward line they have, but they have a tough job recovering from the beating they took on Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

And the game will be in Sky Sports. That will mean that a lot of people in rural Donegal won't get to see it :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Finally got a chance so just watched the 1st half on TV there. On the stroke of HT it was a good long range point by Colm which was waved wide. Its a pity as I think he is close to getting back to where we need him and a big point like that would have been invaluable. It's lucky Monaghan didn't get a penalty near the end of the half. Was hoping RTE would show what happened between Clerkin and Murphy but no joy on that one. Spillane as positive as ever I'm happy to see. Roll on the 2nd half without the stress of Sunday!!

Glenman wrote: »
    And the game will be in Sky Sports. That will mean that a lot of people in rural Donegal won't get to see it :-(

If they are that arsed about it, they will.

SM746 wrote: »
    Finally got a chance so just watched the 1st half on TV there. On the stroke of HT it was a good long range point by Colm which was waved wide. Its a pity as I think he is close to getting back to where we need him and a big point like that would have been invaluable. It's lucky Monaghan didn't get a penalty near the end of the half. Was hoping RTE would show what happened between Clerkin and Murphy but no joy on that one. Spillane as positive as ever I'm happy to see. Roll on the 2nd half without the stress of Sunday!!

On the '45ish?

We were kicking the ball out and I think he dropped him. Unless I'm mistaking an incident with Clerkin with one with Gollogley. Either way there was a strike and he should have walked.

On the '45ish?

We were kicking the ball out and I think he dropped him. Unless I'm mistaking an incident with Clerkin with one with Gollogley. Either way there was a strike and he should have walked.

Ya in the middle. Didn't see it and no footage on RTE so I've no idea what happened.

Ya in the middle. Didn't see it and no footage on RTE so I've no idea what happened.

Commentators make any noise about it at all?

Commentators make any noise about it at all?

Tommy Carr "an off the ball incident should be a red; no idea why a yellow was given" or words to that effect but he was saying it in the context that he had not seen it.
    Spillane saying Durcan should have had a red for his footblock in the 1st half :-)
    Delighted to see Johnny Doyle on the panel; hopefully RTE start moving some of these guys in more regularly

• Advertisement

Tommy Carr "an off the ball incident should be a red; no idea why a yellow was given" or words to that effect but he was saying it in the context that he had not seen it.
    Spillane saying Durcan should have had a red for his footblock in the 1st half :-)
    Delighted to see Johnny Doyle on the panel; hopefully RTE start moving some of these guys in more regularly

What!? :o He's an embarrassment at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

He said red and definite peno, the others just looked at him and laughed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭jimmy the car

Feck Darragh Ó Sé would nearly have you believing we can do it again! Great read actually.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/donegal-back-to-2012-form-and-can-beat-dublin-1.1874815?page=1

After watching the game there; my very quick stand - out observations of the top of my head:
    To paraphrase Tommy Carr; "this is Donegal from 3 years ago and teams struggle to play them". I think we're in a great place and the big thing in my opinion is there is huge room for improvement; I really believe we can improve significantly - Rory Kav will come on from Sunday / Jigger; to name just 2.

My biggest fear at the moment? Getting caught by Armagh as I expect to play them! They are improving as I expected McGeeney's involvement would ensure but I hope and pray we have enough for them.

Our inside forwards were quiet; Jigger obviously, Colm tried his best, Murphy was out the pitch; paddys best work and 2 better points were further out.

Murphy is (running out of words); never will get the positive recognition for his performance on Sunday from pundits as they see him as a FF out of position. That 2nd half from him was unreal, topped of by that point at the end. What a selfless player.

Might be time to consider PmcB in the half forward line as we've discussed here; he does his best work there from my observations in league and Sunday. Only for that stupid goal, we could have possibly win by more as it killed our momentum for 10ish minutes.

I always notice; Kerry/Cork '12 are good examples, we always have 1/2 huge lapses of concentration and we had the same against Monaghan; hard to sustain it for 76/77minutes but thats what we need to do aim to do now.

There is huge room for improvement and that is the best bit. Tommy Carr alluded to it during match; we use every inch of space/width on the pitch; CP will suit us and hopefully Colm finds that little spark he needs up there.

Overall we've a good squad this year; better than 2012 in my opinion. Onwards and upwards to Croke Park; Jim and the boys have given us so many good days that they owe us nothing now :-)

Finally great to see guys like Johnny Doyle in studio and Tommy Carr commentating, men with a deep knowledge of the game and who recognise there is a game to analyse which differs from the golden days of Spillane :-) Yes, Spillane still irritates me!!!

They were all in agreement it was a penalty as was I! A red card though, he is some analyst :-)

Feck Darragh Ó Sé would nearly have you believing we can do it again! Great read actually.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/donegal-back-to-2012-form-and-can-beat-dublin-1.1874815?page=1

An excellent read.

Great read; the very last 2 paragraphs sum it all up for me; its lucky they were around or God knows what the country would be like!!!!
    I cannot see us doing it; hopefully I am wrong but as I said and others here have said; McGuinness and that team owe us nothing.
    Beating Armagh/Meath/Kildare is step 1 and its no given that's for sure.

His perspective on 'the system' is very good. To simply dismiss it was 'puke football' is the ultimate in lazy analysis. Some of the runs made by our defenders on Sunday were awesome. The workrate of the whole team was immense.

He also points out something we shouldn't lose sight of - Monaghan were very poor really. Of course we managed the game and set up very well, but why were they kicking long ball in to a one man surrounded by three? That's their problem of course, but we shouldn't get too carried away.

But I dislike the early analysis of Dublin v Donegal. Of course it's looking likely, but whenever this sort of talk starts, you can be sure someone will come along to spoil the party.

I'm only going to think about Armagh, Meath or Kildare for now. Nobody else.

That article reminds me, I saw Ryan Bradley in Clones before the match. He must have been home on holiday, think he's still in Dubai.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That article reminds me, I saw Ryan Bradley in Clones before the match. He must have been home on holiday, think he's still in Dubai.

I was wondering what had happened to him!

Advertisement