Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Agree 100% with everything Nidgeweasel says there. Not going to bother posting about the match because I have nothing to say that hasn't already been said.

Re management, that's for when the season ends in the next few weeks. Never mind the relative lack of experience, but I couldn't see Kavanagh or Lacey taking over Donegal while Murphy is still playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,914 ✭✭✭doc_17

2 wins and we’d get to and AI semi. We’d need to get Galway in the QF and a handy one next weekend. It’s doable but highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

Highly unlikely but if the draw went that way we would have an outside chance of a semi. I wonder at this stage if Bonner knows he's probably done would we just go for broke in the next match or matches. He may as well try something a bit different at this stage just don't know if he has it in him but playing the same way he has to realise it's over for him. An AI Semi might be the only thing to keep him there next year.

We can't get Galway in a QF. Dublin or Kerry. So no SF.

Is there an A/B scenario in round 2 of the qualifiers in play then where Provincial losers move to the other side? In that case your right we won't beat either of those.

• Advertisement

That's how I understand it and makes sense.

We have a 50% chance of making the QF. We'll beat Cork/Clare. We won't beat Mayo/winners of tomorrow's game (Yes, I think Our Maw would beat us).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i had no idea what it was like to be a woman before this weekend , every one wants clare for some reason , not sure is it our jerseys or the fact that we all look like marty morrissy ,

colm o'rourke was cat whistling us all week for some reason ...... ye better hope jimmy dont start it 🤣😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

"The quarter-finals will be an open draw subject to avoidance of repeat pairings. This year’s semi-final draw pairs Connacht with Ulster and Leinster with Munster – or the teams that beat the provincial champions at the quarter-final stage." From https://www.gaa.ie/football/news/2022-gaa-football-all-ireland-series-launched/

That suggests we can get Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

They change the format so much that you could be right. For instance, we can face Armagh in the next round, where in previous years repeat pairings were not possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Advertisement

It's sad to see. It's hard to get excited about the future. The worst of it is we are a big County that always produces talented players but either negative tactics or County board politics we always seems destined to underachieve more often than not. I hear some people say we were just spoiled during the Jim years but that's small team mentality. He only took us to a level we should always strive for. We should look anyone head on and think think your not better than us. I just don't think there's enough people in Donegal Gaa that believe and demand that. If you don't deliver An Ireland during your term in charge of Kerry your moved on ie Peter Keane who got within a point of stopping 5 in a row. It's just the culture difference. We are relying on a generational manager like Jim to beat the odds around him. We are the worst underachievers. That's Cavan and Derry who have bridged 20 year plus gaps in finals against us.

Sorry just throwing out thoughts aloud after the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Jizique

And the weather was glorious so no excuse there

Ha, that draw. Can they put us out of our misery.

Why can’t we get Galway in a QF?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Armagh again. Hard to be in any way enthusiastic about this. They really need to try and sort out this repeat pairing stuff once and for all. It’s just tiresome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Armagh cannot play as bad again. Neither can we.

I think you are half right.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Armagh probably not, but unfortunately we have shown from the last two games we can, so I`ll be traveling with very little hope tbh even if I do believe overall we are the better team.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

The mood in Donegal is not good. The thoughts of another game with Armagh again is tiring and that will nearly always feed in to the players via family and friends. I may have underestimated the frustration after the Derry game and I know a lot of people who are not bothering travelling for this one.

I feel we are a better team than Armagh but don't think we have the appetite to lift ourselves after the Derry defeat. Armagh have more scope to improve since the defeat in Ballybofey and a win on Sunday puts them back on the track in terms of their development. We just seem completely flat and devoid of any fresh ideas or impetus - hard to see how that changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

Sadly, I think you've hit the nail on the head, a lot of doom & gloom after the Ulster Final, Armagh getting great praise for beating a below par Tyrone....I always thought the Derry match was 50/50 & we could have won it. The very best we can hope for is a Q/F but that's as far as current set up will take us. It looks like Malachy O'Rourke is in line for the Meath job so it's hard to know where the new managerial team will come from. Can't see DB & Rochford being around for 2023.

There’s such a flat feeling around this game tomorrow. After this weekend there’s only 3 more weekends of intercounty GAA until the league starts!

Aye it is flat, but sure with the performance in the Ulster Final hard to build much hype.

No idea what to expect. If the players want this manager to stay we might get a performance.

Would never get tired of beating Armagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

There is a lot of negativity on here. I expect a reaction from the players especially seeing as DB will be gone if they lose.

I would put Derry/Tyrone/Monaghan and Cavan ahead of this Armagh team tbh. Derry are a proper team and we were very close to winning that match.

Donegal by 5/6

Jesus wept. First half reminds me of the pre-McGuinness era sh1t shows. Wonder what Donegal will show up in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

It was mostly a good performance until the Patton meltdown.

All going pear-shaped. Distinct lack of character and team spirit. Poor defending with no pressure on Armagh. Sack the manager performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,645 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Donegal backs very loose altogether.

• Advertisement

That really should be the end for this management team. Embarrassing.

Advertisement