Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

For me none whatsoever, other than if in years to come if Michael Murphy wanted the job I would give it to him as well. McHugh has managed Cavan in the past to an Ulster title, so there is also that, and after the present Derry manager stint with Donegal I have no great appetite for another manager from outside the county.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

I think everyone is entitled to put their name forward (or more precisely have it put forward for them) if they are genuinely interested. I don't see why we should refuse anyone a fair hearing. I would have my doubts about wee Martin at this stage given the amount of times it was previously available and he wasn't interested, plus as Nidge said he doesn't have much to show over the past 20 years to aid his case. However if he's interested then let him put forward his case (from what I hear he's not interested but then everyone likes to have a say in these things).

I would have absolutely no issue with Malachy getting the job. I don't really care where he is from if he is the best candidate. Obviously he would need to bring in a backroom team with local knowledge but there is no doubt he has an impressive cv and if interested is worth listening to. Let's be honest, there is very little in the county club scene in the way of potential candidates to get excited about.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Murphy14

It’s been reported this morning that Malachy O’ Rourke has ruled himself out of the running for the senior job ! Where do we go now ?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

The dearth in quality applicants says a lot about the Donegal job. Depressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Low expectations just fine for the foreseeable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Are the Lacey and Kavanagh rumours true?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

I heard these rumours. Also, anyone know why Lacey left the backroom team last year?

Have not heard any Lacey or Kavanagh rumours myself. Is this about taking over as managers? Or something else?

Did Lacey quit before or after Rochford came along?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Rochford and Lacey were both there in 2019 & 2020.

I don't think there was any great scandal to Lacey leaving. He went straight from playing to coaching so was due a break.

I'd be happy with that management team.

• Advertisement

Aye, didn't think there was any scandal.

Have now seen/heard the rumours. Don't think I believe tbh. Donegal News had a piece earlier this week that suggested someone outside Donegal was still in the running.

Felt the Glen were the better team for most of that match but Naomh Conaill more clinical.

Ethan O'Donnell needs to get more of a look at County level. Very impressive today. Would be good to see if young Dunleavy can step up as well.

Serious questions need to be asked of why Donegal are not getting more from Michael Murphy. No reason at all why he couldn't play that same role very effectively for the County.

Martin Regan no interest in managing Donegal apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Is it fair to say that the team might be managing themselves next year? Beyond ridiculous that they haven’t made an appointment yet

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

I imagine they are still chasing Jimmy, but Its probably nearly impossible to sway him back when he has two paid jobs at risk in soccer and with sky , he is probably the best pundit in the country in my opinion and his attention to detail is excellent, I doubt he's getting paid pennies for it ,

Who is the best club manager in Donegal at the moment?

Anyone at the Semi Final today?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilNiall

With the long delay in announcing the new manager I assume it is still someone involved in the current club championship.

Looks like Rory Kavanagh for me.

Fare thee well The Ram

A legend. 195 games through good times and bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭The Assistinator

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

An all time great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

His powers were waining the last couple of years but if ever stalwart of the side was a description for a man. Quality centre back and fantastic servant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭WillmaDickfit

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

If the rumour of Kavanagh, with Frank and Karl as selectors is true, at least we have a trio who know how one has to prepare to win big in the modern-ish era.

Kavanagh’s stock will be affected by the county final result also. The confidence and the excitement perhaps if Eunans do what sounds inevitable if you’d listen to some.

Sayonara to Neil! He used to frustrate me in his younger days with his ill-discipline but what a servant. I remember seeing half of the Gaoth Dobhair team in the squad in Bonner’s first year (I think) but between injuries, drop outs and boys not up to standard, all quiet on that front now.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭James2020App

How we are half way through October now with new new manager named is crazy stuff. They can't possibly wait much longer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

It’s Rory Kavanagh, they’re just not going to announce it until St Eunans are out of the championship. Although even if they win tomorrow, they should make it official, not much of a conflict of interest once the county championship is over

Bad stuff all round. Not expecting much better in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭blowitupref

No announcement made yet, surely some word from the Donegal county board should be made now if he is to be appointed.

Let the man drown his sorrows

Time enough for an announcement later in the week

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭James2020App

Local media were reporting yesterday that Kavanagh has pulled out of the race for the Donegal position. Hard to know

• Advertisement

We are all cool with an Armagh man taking over, aye?

Advertisement