Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Obviously this day was coming but honestly wasn't expecting it yet, he still has a lot to offer but the man has made his decision. There can be no question, he is the best player we ever had and all I can hope is that we see him involved in management again at some point as I have no doubt that he will make an excellent manager.

Enjoy retirement big man but just make it a short one as Donegal GAA still wants and needs you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

He seems to be saying that the decision was made after the loss to Armagh in QF last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Beagslife

That oft overused term 'Legend', should be reserved for the likes of Michael, and the few others in sport, that it accurately portrays. That and of course 'Gentleman'.

Enjoy your new life Michael 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

There had been rumours alright but this is still a shock.

Our greatest ever footballer. He has carried the county over the past number of years.

This is a huge blow for Donegal football but he owes nobody anything and goes out on his own terms. We’re lucky to have had him, a once in a lifetime player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Great player. As someone already said he carried us over the last few years filling gaps all over the field. If we had a few more decent players I reckon he could have carried on playing full forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Michael Murphy, top player and a top person. I’m usually an observer of this thread, but have to comment on his retirement.

I was there against Kildare in the QF in 2011, in Hill 16 when he caught the ball , swivelled and stuck the ball into the net in the 2012 AI final , in Croker when Donegal overturned the Dubs in 2014 and he was outstanding in each of those moments. We have witnessed the closest thing to greatness in a Donegal jersey when looking back on his Donegal career.

Outside of his talent and humility, his passion and drive for Donegal football makes him very special. He soldiered through some dark years, and came through them to win Ulster championships again under Bonner.

The only sadness is a poor final season for the team , he deserves a trophy winning send off.

However, no one can doubt the man’s ability and love for Donegal ball. I feel standards in the team will drop now, but let’s see.

It’ll be a long long time before we see anything that comes close to Michael.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

Thought he would have been around for another year perhaps 2 but certainly owes us nothing and as others have said probably the best player to pull on the donegal Jersey. Had given half his life to the county team at this stage!

Massive loss, hopefully a few can step up and take on a leading role to fill the void. Will be strange not seeing this name on the team sheet next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Slightly suprised at the news but not entirely shocked . An absolute beast of a player . A modern day legend.

Wish him all the best in his retirement from intercounty . Pity he didn’t play for his fathers county of birth instead :@

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭James2020App

A true once in a generation player for a county like Donegal.

A man who picked it up in the biggest of occasions, remember the start of the 2012 final. On the road to there too that famous quarter final against Kildare, he didn't start because he was injured came on after 30 minutes & got three points straight away. Also His hand of God to set up McHugh against Galway in 2015.

Could go on a while, what a true legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Class player, best of luck to him in retirement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Seems unusual to make the announcement now given the drawn out management appointment process.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

• Registered Users Posts: 5,327 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I was fortunate to be in Carrick on Shannon in 2007 for Michael Murphy's Championship debut and was there in Clones when we crumbled against Armagh earlier this year. It was a privilege to watch him over the years and witness his evolution as a player and a leader. I'm sure most of us have dreaded this day, I know I have, but at least he appears to be going out on his own terms. I wouldn't read any more into it than what he is saying himself. I'd say anyone who saw Glenswilly v Naomh Conaill in the Championship were hoping for one more year at the edge of the square for Donegal but it wasn't to be.

Fare thee well Michael. An absolute legend who owed us nothing.

I'm sure some of that incisive local journalism will provide some insight any day now.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,151 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

They are probably working on the final draft at this very minute.😎

Not sure what to make of the Bernard Jackman appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Heard that from someone else. Unless you are that someone else...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Nah - I heard from Jackman himself believe debunking it believe it or not haha. First I heard of the appointment was your post and then I saw a ‘Donegal Live’ article

’It’s not true!! I’m not going up there. A paper never refuses ink!’ - he said

• Advertisement

Aye, heard it from the 42 Podcast after the 'story'. The influence of the Daily on that particular writer grows

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

Are the group stages of the McKenna cup televised?

As in, on TV? No. TG4 might have shown the odd final once upon a time.

Streamed? Maybe, for a fee. Nothing on the Ulster GAA website yet.

Details of how to watch

https://www.donegallive.ie/news/gaa/1002466/here-s-how-you-can-watch-donegal-s-clash-with-down-and-the-rest-of-the-mckenna-cup.html

Did anyone who paid for last year's Donegal vs. Down stream actually receive a refund?

https://highlandradio.com/2022/01/11/ulster-gaa-to-refund-supporters/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

This is going to be a very difficult season for Donegal. We’ll lose every league I’d say. I can’t see where we get any points? Or am I already being too fatalistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭thebronze14

Yep we've played one McKenna Cup game against a team who have already had a run out. Calm down!

9/10 debutants today also.

Just read that Marty O'Reilly made a comeback today. Surprised at that - any idea what his club form has been like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

Tell me who we are going to beat in Division 1? We haven’t a hope of staying up. We are the team everyone will be eyeing up for a certain 2 points.

Advertisement