Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Yeah, fair play to Cork, full value for the win. Played with aggression and pace and hunted goals.

But very disappointed with our performance for large parts. 2nd best to the breaking ball for too much of the day. And far too soft in possession.

Ryan McHugh was especially poor I felt. While we were shockingly slow to get back for the first Cork goal, he also dropped one into the keeper's hands and I don't know what he was thinking with that last dink into the 13.

The McGonagle free was huge. I couldn't really tell from the TV it it was harsh or not. In real time it was a killer.

I suppose Gallen was well marked but surely needed to see more ball. While Paddy scored well, I still think it's poor that he has never developed his right foot - he passed up a very good goal chance.

I would say we might see a more conservative approach if we make the knockouts. We were shockingly bad when turned over. There's more teams out there that can play at the levels Cork hit today.

1st place out of our hands now. It's still a big possibility though, need a big win the next day out.

Also

MacCeallbhui - needed to do something when he had the ball in front of goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭agfasfos

I don't think there's anyway we can top the group now. If we end up with 4 points & Cork lose to Tyrone Cork would be through on the head to head. Don't know what happens if ourselves, Cork and Tyrone end up with 4 points ?.

If 3 teams tied it comes down to scoring difference.

So we likely need to run up a big enough score to have any chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Other than the gifts given by Derry we haven't looked like scoring goals in the other games. This is worrying. Kerry and Dublin are more composed in that respect. The tackling yesterday was woeful and was reminiscent of previous years. Why no tactical fouls? While they should beat Clare it's not a gimme. While the team has progressed hugely this year any further progress In the championship is a bonus.

• Advertisement

We had several goal scoring opportunities yesterday. Cork had more in fairness. Also, we didn't attack with anything like the pace they showed to create goal opportunities.

Langans was saved/blocked and we were slow to the rebound.

Paddy had one tipped over by the keeper and then passed up a shot with his right in favour of a point with the fist.

MacCeallbhui could have shot for goal.

Agree that anything further is a bonus, but we should be looking to win the group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

I’m not too discouraged by yesterday tbh. That was our 5th difficult game in 6 weeks. We had to travel the length of the country 6 days after a big derby win. I know we were flat and coughed up possession too much and had major system’s failures for the goals but we responded well on both occasions and could have won the game. Conceding 3 goals to a decent team on their home patch on a hot day left us with a mountain to climb and it would have been easy to throw in the towel. Compare how we finished the game to the way Tyrone packed it in after 60 minutes last week.
    Considering that we got 4 goals against Derry and were outplayed for most of the ulster semi and final we were probably due to come down on the wrong side eventually. Let’s be honest if we were to lose any game of the last 5 this is the one I’d choose. The fact we beat Tyrone by 7 means that if the remaking games go as you’d expect we should finish in 4 points with Tyrone and cork and finish first on scoring difference. That’s not to say there couldn’t be a surprise.
    You’d have to wonder about the wisdom of having every player ahead of the ball. The cork fella ran over half the length of the field with the ball. You could argue that m Hugh and Parton should have closed him down and taken the chance on him passing it across. We were very sloppy at the back for the 3rd goal.

They say you learn more from defeat than victory. I hope that’s the case. I still think we’ll win the group and end up in a qf against possibly mayo or Derry both of which would be 50/50 at best for us. Still a great year no matter what happens

Yeah, in fairness, they didn't give up. To get back level without scoring goals took some work.

Also, not sure if he was there on match days before but Conor O'Donnell was with the rest of the non-playing panel yesterday. McColgan too. It would be great if both were available to play some part for the rest of the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

as Harpsman said there has been a lot of games for us the last few weeks, and extra time in there too. Admittedly only seen highlights/listened on the radio but some of the turnovers I felt were running into contact where we wouldn’t normally, our tracking back wasn’t at the level of other games too. Definitely signs of tiredness.

If Tyrone can win their 2 games I’d still fancy us to top the group (mostly due to our margin of victory over them) and suddenly after 5 games in 6 weeks, it’s 2 in 4. But Clare will have a winner take all game against us to dig in on too…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,036 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

Tyrone are now +7 after beating Clare. We need Tyrone to beat Cork and to beat Clare by by four points more to top the group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭overshoot

admittedly I thought Tyrone would win well today but not quite that well

These are the permutations as far as I can tell:

If Cork win or draw and we win, they win the group and we finish 2nd.

If Cork lose and we win, it will come down to scoring difference.

If we lose and Cork lose, we're out on head to head

If we lose and Cork win, it's scoring difference.

And......

If DL and our neighbours finish with same scoring difference, it comes down to total scored...

So we need to go at it like there's no tomorrow the next day

Not that simple, if they can beat Cork by a good score 4 points might not be enough.

It is. If we win and Tyrone win our margin of victory needs to be four point greater than Tyrone's margin of victory.

Ah, I see you said by 4 points more.

But I don't think that's right

3 would do it

We have + 5

They have + 7

4 points or more would be more comfortable....

If Tyrone win they go to a minimum of +8. Therefore we need to win by four more to be certain.

NO. We need to win by 3 more than Tyrone to be certain. Actually winning by 2 more would probably do it as were eight ahead of them on points scored. If sides finish with same scoring difference next criterion is points scored afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

What are peoples opinions on us pressing the opposition kick out? They same to get the vast majority away ok and of the others we might win 2 or 3 a match. It seems to me it’s a lot of energy expended for not much gain and we seem to concede more handy scores than we gain. Far be it for me to question Jim’s tactics 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 15,148 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I thought we did ok this year so far by forcing the opposition to kick long. Especially around midfield when we fielded cleanly, but we still seem very poor when a ball is broken there. We are still lacking in physicallity, so conceding the kick-out and letting big physical teams run at us from deep is a problem. (A bit surprised we didn`t throw in McColgan after the first goal. I thought he did well against Armagh where we were being bullied physically). Our half back line gets sucked in and we often get punished with the resulting breaks from there. We were very slow to learn on the Cork kick-outs to their midfield on the wing. It was only when Caolan Mc Gonagle moved across for those late in the second half that we got any joy.

At the end of the day we lost because we were sloopy rather than anything Cork brought. There are a few lads that will not be comfortable when the video is being reviewed. But then this is a young learning team and these things happen. Just learn from it and move on. A good performance and the worst we will have is a home game as second in the group.

I doubt Jim is overly worried about the Cork result. % down, we fought back and could as easily have win as lost. Taking away some of the over hype from some of the supporters that would seep into the team if it continued I imagine he will not be heart broken over.

Any word on Jason McGee ?

• Advertisement

McColgan wasn't togged out.

I felt we should have given Cork the short kick out given how much success they were having long. Much easier to set your defence.

I doubt Jim wants to be in a PQF and would surely rather be guaranteed 1st ahead of the final game instead of what is nearly a long shot of getting a bye now. Yes, we came back well and could easily have got a draw but would be amazed if they weren't focused on the win given the stakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,871 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

When will the date and venue for the final round be confirmed?

Well at least that clears up why McColgan wasn`t used.

I was not at the game, family commitments on the day, and presumed from the team sheet released by CLG Dhun na nGall the day before that had him on the bench wearing 22 that he was fit to play.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Cork looked well up for it from early on while Donegal looked a bit off the pace. They were very effective at kickouts and forced some uncharacteristic turnovers from McHugh and Mogan, players you’d want on the ball. Even though Donegal led at half time I felt they were vulnerable if Cork went for more goals in the second half. Still, there were chances late on and then you had the overcarrying call on McGonagle which ended up with Cork scoring at the other end.

Considering the season so far, perspective needs to be kept but it would be a shame to miss out on a straight QF spot all the same. No harm in tempering the expectations of both supporters and some in the media though.

Does anyone know what the attendance was? I heard 7,500 mentioned but it seemed like far more than that inside Páirc Uí Rinn. In fairness the Cork support was fantastic and they deservedly enjoyed the win.

In relation to McGee, McGuinness mentioned that he was carrying something from earlier in the week and it tightened up during the match. Hopefully he’s back for the Clare game.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭TsuDhoNimh

7,251 the official number on tickets sold.

For a ground that supposedly holds 16,400ish it looked a lot more than half full in the clips bouncing around twitter. Wouldn't be shocked if there were a few more slipping in than getting scanned.

The only space on the ground was at the terrace at the town end.

If the place can hold 15,000 plus it was certainly a lot more than half full.

Castlebar is a balls of a place for the Clare game.

That figure is a joke. There's no way it was less than half full on Saturday.

Castlebar at 3 pm on Saturday the 15th. How convenient.

Post edited by downthemiddle on

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭ghostfacekilla

The club reckoning all sales might be going through ticketmaster as its general sale with unreserved seating so I ordered tickets online today. They didn't mention supervalu/centra but might be available there also.

• Advertisement

There will be loads of tickets available.

Advertisement