Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

Seen clubs confirming tickets will be sold via Centra and SuperValu as well as Ticketmaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭bob skunkhouse

Disappointing with the result on Saturday to be honest. After the fantastic victory over Tyrone the previous week, I couldn't see us losing this one.

I think losing Magee was a real killer blow to us. Without his physical presence in the middle third we'll always struggle. He was playing decent until then and made a text book tackle when the Cork lad was bearing down on goal. I think the Charlie McGuinness experiment should cease now. I see him down in the match day 25 for the past few games, without making an appearance. He doesn't have the speed of some of the other players, but is a big lad. If he was ever to make an appearance it was to replace Magee on Saturday. We lost out on the physical battle once he left and if McGuinness was any good, that was his time to come in. So based on that, he's only a distraction to the other squad members. Subbed off early in the league final as well.

Couple of points on the game…

Forget about poor handling, I think there was an over emphasis on McHugh and Mogan in the first half. The two lads ran their socks of and in fairness Mogan drifted out of the game in the second half. McHugh dropped two shots into the keepers hands but I can't really blame him for that per se. Given the amount of energy he expended, those were the shots of a tired man. We play a running game but should share the burden of hard running with EBG and CM. Over emphasis on Ryan and Peadar results in what we saw on Saturday.

I thought the team is very devoid of leaders. When the game was in the melting pot (last few mins), nobody stood up and had a crack. Langan was clear through - about 25 out - and rather then take the shot, passed off. Think Gallen had a decent chance too and shied away from the kick. Ciaran Thompson - a long range shooter - should have worked a position to shoot, but didn't. Against better teams, we need these lads to step up and lead rather than be led. To his credit, Paddy was trying to rally the troops, but we need more from the on field players.

An honest opinion on Gallen - for me he's not living up to all the hype. I know he'd a good game v Armagh, is capable of pulling out a top drawer score now and again, but I'm thinking there's a certain viewing of the lad with green and gold coloured spectacles. He's going to be scorer in chief to replace Paddy but I don't think he's up to it. Look at the counties expected to challenge for Sam and the talent they have in the forward line. Compare Oisin to the great forwards about now - Clifford, Con O'Callaghan, McGuigan, Cillian O'Connor, O’Donoghue,McManus (to a lesser extent), Canavans etc would you put him in that caliber?

Good piece on 1992

https://www.donegallive.ie/news/gaa/1526798/clare-and-their-understated-role-in-donegals-1992-triumph.html

Team named

Shaun Patton; Mark Curran, Brendan McCole, Eoghan Bán Gallagher; Ryan McHugh, Caolan McGonagle, Peadar Mogan; Ciarán Moore, Michael Langan; Shane O’Donnell, Ciaran Thompson, Daire Ó Baoill; Patrick McBrearty, Oisin Gallen, Niall O’Donnell

Happy enough if McGee not risked. Small chance we go out, much bigger chance we need to play again next week.

Conor O'Donnell and Hugh McFadden named in subs. Would be great if O'Donnell is fit enough to come on. Not sure what Hugh can offer in this system.

Moore might be able for midfield or they might move Thompson. Doubt they would switch McGonagle but a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭dog_pig

Nothing confirmed but I’ve heard from a couple of different places that McGee’s injury could rule him out for a while. Hopefully not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Hope we have a dry day. Wet conditions are a great leveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭downthemiddle

It's a reoccurence of an old injury. Hopefully he is back quickly.

McColgan and Mulreaney are out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,088 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

Possibly Moore to centre back and McGonagle to midfield but more likely Thompson I imagine. Agree on McGee and especially McFadden. Difficult to see where he can fit into the present set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,404 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

Is this one scheduled to be on TV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,247 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Well it sounded like a close one! 😂

We had a job to do and we did it. Good reaction to the last game. Good to see players who had a bad outing the last day produce the goods today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,027 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

thankfully there wasn't , i knew we were in trouble when donegal needed to win big to guarantee a 1/4 final spot , wasn't in castlebar myself but thats an unacceptable performance from our lads

Not much to say about Saturday. Good Donegal crowd. Good to see goals and an improved peformance from Ryan McHugh. Interesting quotes from McGuinness following Cork game re. experienced individual players making mistakes they had never made before. Could have been talking about McHugh. Good to see Conor O'Donnell back and kicking points. Strange to see Stephen McMenamin get a run at this stage, didn't think he was part of plans given he hadn't featured. He did ok. Comments in Gallen above - I don't think he is over hyped at all. Of course he is not in same class as some other forwards but is a very talented player and is finally getting a good injury free run. Felt he was not well used in Cork.

Croke Park next and if PQFs go as expected, i.e. the teams that finished 2nd and 3rd in our group win, then we will end up with either Galway or Mayo (again, assuming they also win). That will be a huge test.

Oh and Ciaran Moore was excellent. Got hands on so much ball in the middle.

How come only Galway or Mayo? I'm not sure of the limitations put in place. I'd rather have Galway than Mayo as our record against mayo is shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭overshoot

can’t repeat from the groups, maybe Louth could come through against cork but you’d fancy Tyrone to win

Roscommon and Louth have left more option for the QF, but with our luck we will probably get Galway with Comer to start.

Are these the possibilities?

Dublin v Derry/Galway

Kerry v Derry/Roscommon/Galway

Armagh v Louth/Roscommon

Donegal v Derry/Roscommon/Galway/Louth

Do Dublin and Armagh draw first? If the constraints put on the draw process seems like a real balls. An open draw would have been better.

Donegal can play anyone alright.

Not sure on sequence, but would imagine it will be drawn Pot 1, Pot 2 etc.

Have a feeling we'll get Galway. Some good quarter finals in the past.

Shouldn't fear anyone next weekend, all are very beatable but equally would take nothing for granted against Derry, Galway or Roscommon. Would need to be flat enough to lose to Louth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭harpsman

While Donegal can play anyone I think Louth can only play Donegal or Armagh so 50% chance of getting Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭harpsman

be interesting to see how they do the draw to avoid repeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2,353 ✭✭✭henke

Louth. You would happy with that. We will be big favourites to reach a first semi in a decade anyway.

Best possible outcome from a crazy process. Louth will be no easy task. Day and time later. Double header with kerry-derry clash?

For once, taken at face value, the Gods have smiled on us. Hopefully the lesson we learned from the lethagic approach we saw in Cork has been well learned, and with us being fresh from the extra week and Louth coming off the back of a tough game with Cork, we do as we did against Clare. Go after them early and do not give them a chance to settle.

1.15pm on Sunday with Kerry v Derry to follow.

An early start for anyone travelling but at least can get back up the road in daylight. And it's the best draw we could have hoped for.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 blueskacksgaa

Cant wait for kerry v derry game

• Registered Users Posts: 2 blueskacksgaa

Cant get ahead of myself but will love 3 ulster teams in semi finals....might move croke park upto ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Peckham

Trying to buy tickets for family of 5. Two adults and 3 kids.

Can't figure out how out how to do it on Ticketmaster which only seems to let you buy adult tickets Or juvenile ones. But not both together.

Don't want to split it over 2 transactions to make sure that all seats are together.

Is it easier in Super Valu?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,314 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Donegal extremely fortunate to avoid the Rossies in the quarters.

Advertisement