Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

On the minors, the worrying thing is that in every game I have seen them play in, they have let the opposition back into the game, except maybe Antrim.

On the seniors, looking very likely there is going to be a draw for the quarter finals. Monaghan are looking even worse than they were in the Ulster Final.

The draw will be on RTE (radio) at around 5.30pm tomorrow (Sunday).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

RMDrive wrote: »
    They did not. Roscommon had their flashy new bus in the car park and their defensive bus parked on the field. 2 sweepers at all times and no one straying outside their 45. It was only during additional time in the 2nd half when they were ordered forward.

Donegal showed some inexperience and a worrying lack of guile. They persisted in trying to drive the ball right through the middle of the Ross defence rather than spreading the ball wide, switching the play and being patient.

Wet and miserable day in Sligo but a win is a win. Cian Mulligan impressive for Donegal. Lorcan Connor bottled up well.

Colm Kelly at number 4 sounded to have a great game. MMH mentioned him in his summary. I mentioned him a few months back I saw him tie up Jigger in a championship game last summer and he looked impressive. Similarly, looked very good against Armagh.

I know it's only minors but I really do think there are more than a few on that squad who could make a significant contribution to the senior time in a few years.

And so it is the diesel smugglers. We figured it would come to this.

Dissapointed Monaghan got through.

So, Armagh then. Been a while......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

usually all for the ulster teams, but for selfish reasons didnt want dublin to play a blanket defence before us.

i hope we batter them! i couldnt take another defeat on a big stage :(

• Advertisement

It's two different teams and the noughties are a long time gone. But I really, really fúcking hate Armagh. I'm trying to be indifferent and mature about this but It's not happening.

Those two thugs on the line too.

A cricket score next week please Jim. If we lose I think I may actually self combust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Did they though?

Yes. The match was a pitched battle but sure what do I know, I was only at the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

yea my thoughts exactly.... monaghan may also be a bogey team for us but armagh just seemed to consistently do us at the big one.
    the one time we did edge them tyrone thrashed us in the next game... almost made it worse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Delighted all is going ahead next weekend as planned. I know it will be tough, but I don't mind playing Armagh. We owe them one, and I reckon we'll have enough for them. It will be interesting to see if Monaghan end up feeling the effects of such a tough game today. Either way, I think Dublin will look after them easy enough

Syferus wrote: »
    Yes. The match was a pitched battle but sure what do I know, I was only at the game.

Aye. Funny though that your account (Donegal were just as defensive) is wholly different that the numerous people who I've spoken to since the game, the description in play, the subsequent media reporting etc etc.

It's a strange one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Believe what you want to believe. The Donegal minors were playing Jimmy's system down to a tee apart from not being able to kick deep to a target man.

Delighted all is going ahead next weekend as planned. I know it will be tough, but I don't mind playing Armagh. We owe them one, and I reckon we'll have enough for them. It will be interesting to see if Monaghan end up feeling the effects of such a tough game today. Either way, I think Dublin will look after them easy enough

That is such a big test asking to ask them to play next Saturday.

I mean to be fair to Monaghan, Dublin were always going to be likely victors but having to go through 90 minutes of slog in conditions like that tonight.... I just can't see how they'll recover to be in suitable condition to test the Dubs.

O'Rouke's a cute boy though. He'll have something up his sleeve. Hopefully not what Jimmy would bring mind you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 554 ✭✭✭RMDrive

Syferus wrote: »
    Believe what you want to believe. The Donegal minors were playing Jimmy's system down to a tee apart from not being able to kick deep to a target man.

Ah will you give over. No doubt Donegal were defensive when needed but your lads played as defensive a game as I've seen in a long time. And did it very effectively I may add. Only one team tried to play any football though. Roscommon conceded EVERY Donegal kick-out short and kept their 2 sweepers in place at all times.
    Nothing wrong with that IMO and I wouldn't be complaining if Donegal felt they had to do that to contain a better team. But let's not pretend that there were 2 teams playing the same way. That's far from true.

RMDrive wrote: »
    Ah will you give over. No doubt Donegal were defensive when needed but your lads played as defensive a game as I've seen in a long time. And did it very effectively I may add. Only one team tried to play any football though. Roscommon conceded EVERY Donegal kick-out short and kept their 2 sweepers in place at all times.
    Nothing wrong with that IMO and I wouldn't be complaining if Donegal felt they had to do that to contain a better team. But let's not pretend that there were 2 teams playing the same way. That's far from true.

McHugh likened it to Rugby League!

Sounded like essentially the Rossies were letting us come down/come out with the ball and they were lined up on their '45? I'd have loved to have seen it in operation tbh.

Thought it sounded daft when they needed to score they sounded like they had absolutely no desire to do so.

And you're right by the way. Nothing wrong with it at all. It's their prerogative to play how they see fit. As long as it's clean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Absolutely.

It'd be a nightmare if they got Monaghan.

1) It'd be a good test for them going into a possible semi final with ourselves.
    2) If Monaghan beat them I'd hate to have them in a semi final!

Ah now I think if you were offered the chance of getting to an all ireland final by beating Monaghan and Armagh youd take that!!

It's two different teams and the noughties are a long time gone. But I really, really fúcking hate Armagh. I'm trying to be indifferent and mature about this but It's not happening.

Those two thugs on the line too.

A cricket score next week please Jim. If we lose I think I may actually self combust.

I was about to reply after just reading the 1st line- just as well i continued reading- i would certainly take more pleasure from beating Armagh than most other teams. However if Armagh and Geezer were to finish the McGuinness era it would hurt. Alot

harpsman wrote: »
    Ah now I think if you were offered the chance of getting to an all ireland final by beating Monaghan and Armagh youd take that!!

I would not want to have to play Monaghan again this year.

Flashbacks to Armagh in 2005 balooning about having beaten Tyrone in Ulster and then getting beat by the same in a semi final a month later!

Which, incidentally is one of the most beautiful moments in GAA history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R8WF2gJ8so

I can't even begin to imagine how sickening that must have felt, and the Armagh boys have themselves admitted that they probably took 'too much' from the Ulster win. In a similar way to how Jimmy and them (understandably) went nuts in Clones.

Just my own little take on it. (And I want a rattle at the Dubs!)

I was about to reply after just reading the 1st line- just as well i continued reading- i would certainly take more pleasure from beating Armagh than most other teams. However if Armagh and Geezer were to finish the McGuinness era it would hurt. Alot

It's so weird. I actually haven't given them a moments thought really. Really wanted to meet them under Jim especially in an Ulster final and everything but was never really that arsed about it.

Now the draws done my bloods up. Probably because it's knock out now and we HAVE to win or it's another solemn trip down the road at the hands of them.

It's hard to even qualify as the team that caused the heartache are long since gone. It's just it was too too painful and too frequent at the time you can't but have almost have a complex about it.

There was so much wrong with the matches against them. Their displays of thuggery - the McEntee elbow in the semi final in 2003 was shameful and lo and behold who put in that unbelievable ball for McDonnell for the goal.... McEntee! Shouldn't have been on the pitch. You can nearly laugh about it now. Well, nearly! It was things like that so any times. O'Rourke boxing the physio. Grimley giving McEniff the fingers and screaming at him. Having a photo of McEniff up on their door to run over in croke park. That type of stuff.

We didn't help ourselves at times either now with some displays of cowardice, Hegarty was a serial culprit hiding from McGeeney year in year out.

Tactically too and preparation wise, I remember McEniff brining in a tackling coach (Rugby) pre the 2004 final so we could hit the better. Jesus wept, I mean if there's one team you didn't want to be even hinting at starting a physical battle with it was them. But no, we'll go and try and match them physically after a session with a rugby coach! :D

It was just so tiresome defeat after defeat after defeat. And demoralising defeats in big games. Seeing the players coming off dejected. Even now it's hard to almost comprehend. They were the better team absolutely no question about it but we had good footballers too and how we could come off the wrong side of a result over and over and over against them is unreal.

Next Saturday won't make up for a single one of them but if McGeeney and Grimley bring Jim's reign to an end in Croke park it will hurt more than every year on that list (with the possible exception of 2003).

In fact, that's probably what has the worry on me.

It's so weird. I actually haven't given them a moments thought really. Really wanted to meet them under Jim especially in an Ulster final and everything but was never really that arsed about it.

Now the draws done my bloods up. Probably because it's knock out now and we HAVE to win or it's another solemn trip down the road at the hands of them.

It's hard to even qualify as the team that caused the heartache are long since gone. It's just it was too too painful and too frequent at the time you can't but have almost have a complex about it.

There was so much wrong with the matches against them. Their displays of thuggery - the McEntee elbow in the semi final in 2003 was shameful and lo and behold who put in that unbelievable ball for McDonnell for the goal.... McEntee! Shouldn't have been on the pitch. You can nearly laugh about it now. Well, nearly! It was things like that so any times. O'Rourke boxing the physio. Grimley giving McEniff the fingers and screaming at him. Having a photo of McEniff up on their door to run over in croke park. That type of stuff.

We didn't help ourselves at times either now with some displays of cowardice, Hegarty was a serial culprit hiding from McGeeney year in year out.

Tactically too and preparation wise, I remember McEniff brining in a tackling coach (Rugby) pre the 2004 final so we could hit the better. Jesus wept, I mean if there's one team you didn't want to be even hinting at starting a physical battle with it was them. But no, we'll go and try and match them physically after a session with a rugby coach! :D

It was just so tiresome defeat after defeat after defeat. And demoralising defeats in big games. Seeing the players coming off dejected. Even now it's hard to almost comprehend. They were the better team absolutely no question about it but we had good footballers too and how we could come off the wrong side of a result over and over and over against them is unreal.

Next Saturday won't make up for a single one of them but if McGeeney and Grimley bring Jim's reign to an end in Croke park it will hurt more than every year on that list (with the possible exception of 2003).

In fact, that's probably what has the worry on me.

Re The McEntee elbow I must be remembering wrong-I thought it was much later in the game. Tbh its not a game that gives me sleepless nights- Armagh would have won the game by 15 points if theyd taken half their chances. Id have mor regrets bout the 02 Ulster Final giving away that goal and missing 13 yd frees- i think its a game we left behind. Worst thuggery for me was 06 match when McDonnell deliberately stamped on Laceys hand.
    I agree with last point that to lose this one would hurt more for me anyway.

I would not want to have to play Monaghan again this year.

Flashbacks to Armagh in 2005 balooning about having beaten Tyrone in Ulster and then getting beat by the same in a semi final a month later!

Which, incidentally is one of the most beautiful moments in GAA history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8R8WF2gJ8so

I can't even begin to imagine how sickening that must have felt, and the Armagh boys have themselves admitted that they probably took 'too much' from the Ulster win. In a similar way to how Jimmy and them (understandably) went nuts in Clones.

Just my own little take on it. (And I want a rattle at the Dubs!)

That doesnt really look properly at those Tyrone Armagh games. In those 05 matches Tyrone were by far the better side in the drawn match and also the replay until Collins wrongly sent off Canavan and Oneill and bottling sending off McGrane. Also in the semi Armagh were leading by 2 points with 5 minutes to go so really the semi was actually Armaghs best performance of the 3 games.
    Whilst its always nice to get a "crack " at the Dubs i think our best chance by a mile of winnin the all ireland-the most important thing- is if Zmonaghan win next week.

• Advertisement

Re The McEntee elbow I must be remembering wrong-I thought it was much later in the game. Tbh its not a game that gives me sleepless nights- Armagh would have won the game by 15 points if theyd taken half their chances. Id have mor regrets bout the 02 Ulster Final giving away that goal and missing 13 yd frees- i think its a game we left behind. Worst thuggery for me was 06 match when McDonnell deliberately stamped on Laceys hand.
    I agree with last point that to lose this one would hurt more for me anyway.

I thought the elbow was before the goal myself. It was right infront of Michael Monaghan the referee too. And McGeeney had god knows how many personal fouls that day and nothing given to him. And to be fair to Hegarty, I know I mentioned him above but he was very good that day.

I agree about the wides, they should have been out of sight but we should have seen it out and the manner of it hurt alot. None of them give me sleepless nights to be fair. Just unpleasant memories.

That doesnt really look properly at those Tyrone Armagh games. In those 05 matches Tyrone were by far the better side in the drawn match and also the replay until Collins wrongly sent off Canavan and Oneill and bottling sending off McGrane. Also in the semi Armagh were leading by 2 points with 5 minutes to go so really the semi was actually Armaghs best performance of the 3 games.
    Whilst its always nice to get a "crack " at the Dubs i think our best chance by a mile of winnin the all ireland-the most important thing- is if Zmonaghan win next week.

They took McGeeney off which seemed crackers at the time, he's such an important figure to them and Tyrone powered through it. I've always had a grá for Tyrone and really enjoyed Canavan's winner.

I think we'll beat the dubs anyway so I'm non plussed!

They took McGeeney off which seemed crackers at the time, he's such an important figure to them and Tyrone powered through it. I've always had a grá for Tyrone and really enjoyed Canavan's winner.

Was at all Tyrones Croke Park games bar Monaghan thst year and would have been shouting for them myself-would always consider them our neighbours i suppose, particularly at my end of the county. Plus they were involved in some of the best games ive seen that Summer. Remember was sittin beside some Dutch people at the Armagh semi/- they were raving about it. Agree that taking off McGeeney with 5 mins to go was a bizarre decision-Cavanagh ran straight through the middle for a point straight after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Such confidence, I'd be concentrating on Armagh first; you won't walk them a second time I reckon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

Such confidence, I'd be concentrating on Armagh first; you won't walk them a second time I reckon.
    While my confidence in relation to beating the Dubs borders between none and bring 'em on, I would be absolutely disgusted if we cant get past Armagh easily enough.
    They are a poor team who have only beat other poor teams but yet find themselves in an AI QF. It should be a gimme for any team even thinking of giving Dublin a game.

I think we'll beat them too. What's your point?

I'm not playing the poor mouth. I expect to be playing Dublin in a semi final and think we can win it.

It's McGuinness and them who won't be getting ahead of themselves and will be treating Armagh just the same as Dublin or Kerry. It's a hallmark of McGuinness' reign so far and I can't see it changing now.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Was at the minor game yesterday, didn't play well at all but really should have won more comfortably than they did and I'd be pretty confident that they'll play a lot better the next day.

Very strange game from a tactical point of view. We played the usual two man full forward line, Brennan and Connors were both usually double marked so that removed the cutting edge we had in previous games. Campbell was probably our most dangerous forward but his shooting was a bit wayward.

Roscommon barely tackled us until we got inside their 45. They let us take short kick outs to our corner backs and by the time the corner back got it their midfielders would have retreated right back in defence so we could pass it up to our midfielders and start attacking. I've seen our senior team do something similar occasionally but never on such a consistent basis. I don't really think it worked as we should have been at least 3-4 points up at half time and further up in the second half when they got the goal although I guess you could say it worked as they nearly sneaked it at the end. If we hadn't conceded the goal I think we'd have won comfortably (view from the stand is rubbish in Sligo so couldn't really see what happened for the goal so in future use the terrace)

I've also never seen a team not bother to put pressure on the ball when 3 points down with 5 minutes to go. A bit more composure from our guys and we could have killed some time and drawn them out a bit before trying to play the ball in.

Mulligan was superb, after seeing him last year I thought he'd be brilliant this year but it's the first good game he's played. Hard to judge other performances as it was such a strange game. Lots of mistakes and slippy conditions meant loads of handling errors. Still a great battling win.

16 points from play for Armagh yesterday is a pretty impressive stat given the conditions. And Meath might not be great, but they are a much better team than, say, Antrim. I like the way Armagh or playing. They set up well defensively and break at speed, relying more on kick passing to men in space rather than hand passing and support runners (like Donegal tend to favour). Also like big switches from side to side.

They have easily handled two very simple minded defensive teams in Cavan and Roscommon but the challenge they will face from us will be much greater. Ragged and all as Tyrone are, to go to Omagh and win a Championship game is impressive. Yesterday was the first time they had won a Championship game in Croke Park in a long time. They are a confident looking team.

They will miss Ciaran McKeever again next week. They don't rely on Jamie Clarke for scores, but he's a very good playmaker. I don't know if the positioning will suit, but I'd like to see Karl Lacey detailed to mark him. I wonder if Andy Mallon will end up marking Colm McFadden. Colm had a tough enough day at the Athletic Grounds as far as I recall. Paddy McBrearty came on as sub that day and kicked two points. It was the beginning of the end for Mark McHugh.

Armagh will likely let us have the ball short from our kickout (Meath 'won' the kickout battle 30-17 yesterday). We will need to be patient. Don't get sucked into committing too many men and coughing up possession allowing them to hit us on the break. I expect us to win but it won't be as comfortable as some people would like to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

Gonna be a great game..wonder who'll be sent of 1st?

• Advertisement

rightyabe wrote: »
    Gonna be a great game..wonder who'll be sent of 1st?

Raymond Sweeney.

Advertisement