Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭RoscommonTom

K-9 wrote: »
    I'd take an All Ireland, 3 Ulsters, 2 AI S/F's and a Q/F in 4 years tbh.

Not bad at all

• Registered Users Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Ceist_Beag

Reasons to be confident for Saturday.
    1. Our form in the Ulster Championship, especially in the final.
    2. Jim
    3. Our hunger to avenge previous beatings in Croke Park at the hands of Armagh (not to mention the sight of McGeeney on the sidelines)
    4. The fact Donegal have not beaten Armagh under Jim - so I guess this goes back to 2 above! :)
    5. Overall, man for man we have a better 15 than Armagh
    6. The team will enter Croke Park with Ulster Champions medals in their back pockets - the confidence from this will be vital if the game is tight
    7. Physicality - the days of Armagh having a physical advantage over Donegal are gone

Reasons to be wary
    1. Armagh are improving all the time - their score from play in recent games is impressive
    2. History - Armagh won't fear Donegal
    3. If Armagh get an early lead it could become like last years Ulster final - Armagh are good at defending a lead.
    4. Out full forward line has had a poor return so far this year - I'm not sure we can afford another poor return on Saturday.

Overall I'm quite confident we can beat Armagh but it won't be comfortable and I wouldn't be surprised if we're still biting our nails going into injury time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Donegal won't be getting any trashings from us.

I think we'll beat them if we meet, but it'll be close. Donegal have some fantastic forwards and they've refined their system and rack up pretty respectable scores.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

We might be out this year but have some of the best young fellas in the country now so wont be long before were playing in quarters and the like

Good for you.

Let us know how that works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

We might be out this year but have some of the best young fellas in the country now so wont be long before were playing in quarters and the like
    Will you make the semis though?
    When was the last time-1990? and you shoulda beat Meath too!!!

Only kiddin-hope you break Mayos stranglehold next year.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

306U for the ST - pretty much on halfway, but far enough forward that we'll probably get wet if it's raining.

I see Armagh pulled out the press event - Mickey Harte must be doing their PR.

Does anyone outside of Armagh really give a toss about their media ban? Honestly between Horan refusing to shake hands on Sunday and the Armagh antics, these people really need to grow up and cop on.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Does anyone outside of Armagh really give a toss about their media ban? Honestly between Horan refusing to shake hands on Sunday and the Armagh antics, these people really need to grow up and cop on.

The meeja do - makes their job harder, but I doubt there's much sympathy for the Fourth Estate.

I don't really care - I think they look ridiculous - I don't recall an obvious widespread vendetta against them after paradegate - they had three players suspended, Cavan had two, so it was hardly unbalanced.

Anyway, this is the Donegal thread, please don't feed trolls from other parts of the Country...

And I really wish the talk of Donegal v Dublin would stop until if/when that fixture is confirmed....

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    Anyway, this is the Donegal thread, please don't feed trolls from other parts of the Country...
    Noted and agree RSF ... was just responding to your post about it! :)
    And I really wish the talk of Donegal v Dublin would stop until if/when that fixture is confirmed....

Absolutely - both teams have formidable opponents on Saturday so lets focus on Armagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The meeja do - makes their job harder, but I doubt there's much sympathy for the Fourth Estate.

I don't really care - I think they look ridiculous - I don't recall an obvious widespread vendetta against them after paradegate - they had three players suspended, Cavan had two, so it was hardly unbalanced.

That is what I did't get either. To me, and I don't follow Armagh GAA much, it seems a bit of a hangover from the pretty harsh criticism Grimley got last year.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Ceist_Beag wrote: »
    Noted and agree RSF ... was just responding to your post about it! :)

Oh I know, this comment wasn't in response to you, but just wanted to make the point...but hey, I ain't no mod

K-9 wrote: »
    That is what I did't get either. To me, and I don't follow Armagh GAA much, it seems a bit of a hangover from the pretty harsh criticism Grimley got last year.

I dunno, I sense the hand of McGeeney in this. Because it suits my opinion of him!

Have they got those weird Illuminati symbols back on their jersies or have they been there all the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

harpsman wrote: »

"Outside of Michael Darragh Macauley, they don't know who to be playing alongside him in midfield"

Guy doesn't seem to actually watch a whole heap of Dublin games.

Agreed big time on last point, dont have a problem discussing Armagh, or other counties, where relevant, or people from other counties expressing an opinion,obviously blatant trolling can be ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Casei11

Devenney really needs to keep his mouth shut. Talking too much waffle. Sure in most of the big games in his day he went missing or got unbelievably frustrated and did nothing.

Saturday will be a seriously tough test and Armagh wont fear us.

Any guesses how many Donegal fans will be in Croker?

Casei11 wrote: »
    Devenney really needs to keep his mouth shut. Talking too much waffle. Sure in most of the big games in his day he went missing or got unbelievably frustrated and did nothing.

Saturday will be a seriously tough test and Armagh wont fear us.

Any guesses how many Donegal fans will be in Croker?
    Be disappointed if there wasnt 15,000

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

My 2 are 306 Row X; cannot complain at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Youve been warned Thats all im saying, if you think the thrashing you got from the mayos last year was bad the jacks are able to do an awful lot worse to ye,

Hope Roscommon don't get thrashed in the semi-final :) Oh wait... :pac:

306U for the ST - pretty much on halfway, but far enough forward that we'll probably get wet if it's raining.

I see Armagh pulled out the press event - Mickey Harte must be doing their PR.

Yeah that would be susceptible to the elements. Was in row DD on Sunday and we got some of the rain blowing in around the roof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

I know this programme will likely not deal too much (if at all) with Dgl / Cavan / Mon but it might be of interest to a lot of you.

TG4 905 tonight; programme looking at discrimination suffered by members of GAA clubs in the North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

See Devenneys at it again-I wish hed shut up sometimes

Good luck with that. He's blabbering away on Off The Ball on Newstalk now. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Good luck with that. He's blabbering away on Off The Ball on Newstalk now. :rolleyes:
    i can safely say im in no rush to tune in.
    for a lad that took so many beatings of armagh on big stages you would think hed have more sense.

its a shame "journalism/punditry" in this country often comes down to who can say the most controversial statement. to be honest it seems planned in rte at this stage with one coming out with some item of particular nonsense each week, a la (unfortunately another donegalman) mchughs 2 trick pony

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

If anyone thinks someone is trolling - please report the post rather than derailing the thread further by complaining about someone derailing it.

Roscommon Tom - Cut the trolling or face a ban.

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Not again-I dont know how many times hes shown us up in the last few years-puttin Kavanagh on the phone when he was steamin drunk was the lowest point.

SM746 wrote: »
    My 2 are 306 Row X; cannot complain at all.
    335 UU- under cover but well down the end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

No harm to Brendan, I actually don't think he tries to be controversial, it's more an ego thing (that's being polite).

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Ah, Dev's a grand sort like. He gets excited but his hearts in the right place. He has a bit of a reputation but he's actually very decent.

If anyone hasn't read it this is a great article with him in the examiner from last year. Talking about himself and 'Jimmy Tunes'.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/columnists/kieran-shannon/donegal-are-dancing-to-new-tunes-232361.html

I used to get annoyed at Brendan, especially in the lead up to the Final in 2012. Now, I don't really mind, leave him off. Like McHugh or anyone else, he doesn't speak for the rest of us.

It's not just in the national meeja. He was in confident mood locally as well.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/sport/gaelic-games/brendan-devenney-tipping-donegal-for-all-ireland-glory-1-6217557

I honestly don't see why he should 'know better' having lost so many games to Armagh in the past. I'd hate to think that any of the lads that played through all those defeats in the 00s lets it bother them, not the extent that they would need to watch what they say etc. I feel kinda sad that so many of those players, and there were some very good players in those teams, didn't even get an Ulster medal. But it doesn't lessen them in any way in my eyes.

As a player, he was definitely frustrating at times. But he kept things interesting when we weren't winning anything.

As a pundit, he's no worse than many of the others out there. Parky, Deego and Brady? Please. Oisin and Moyles? Meh. The quality of his analysis isn't great, but it's not markedly worse than anything else out there.

Anyway, we've reached the turn of the week already. Saturday won't be long coming now. One thing is for sure, we won't resemble the team that played in last year's quarter final when we take the field at 4pm, of that much I'm pretty sure.

Big questions for me - is Rory fit enough to start? If he isn't, I'd say we'll see a lot of Michael deep again. I'm pretty sure he won't start McElhinney, so it will be Odhran or Christy partnering Neil from the throw in.

As per previous games, I have a question mark over Paddy. It's sure beginning to look like he's more effective as an impact sub. But, does Jigger's display in the Ulster Final mean that he's not going to start? I dunno.

335 UU- under cover but well down the end

Not season ticket I assume?

• Advertisement

Not season ticket I assume?
    Not this year-Mrs was preggers this yr so no point gettin one for her and I found havin just the one bit of a pain when u want to with other people, as in there was no bring a friend option.

Advertisement