Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

McFadden had been a shadow of his 2012 self for the last two years. Considering his 2012 form was far in excess of anything he showed prior to that season, I'm inclined to believe that we're seeing now is what he actually is rather than something he's not.
    What's depressing is that we don't have anyone to replace him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

McFadden had been a shadow of his 2012 self for the last two years. Considering his 2012 form was far in excess of anything he showed prior to that season, I'm inclined to believe that we're seeing now is what he actually is rather than something he's not.

So are you saying that the Colm McFadden we are seeing now isn the worst Colm McFadden we've ever seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Cartel Mike

Tough to watch

Should McFadden be switched to the left for the majority of games, him being a left footer an'all?

He's a bit old now to be fending off two or three young lads then trying to find an angle to switch to his left.
    Had a good game against Down last year but thats one out of about a dozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭Mackas_view

Where did Lacey go today? Another man who has been a shadow of him former self not that it isn't to be expected. A tremendous servant who has had his fair share of injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

Where did Lacey go today? Another man who has been a shadow of him former self not that it isn't to be expected. A tremendous servant who has had his fair share of injuries.

Didn't get forward all that often but his work screening in front of the FB line kept him on his toes. He worked hard to cover the runners.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭overshoot

NIMAN wrote: »
    As much as it was great to see Donegal progress today, I think Dublin will win the semi easily, and it pains me to say that.
    yea im a bit wary, the defense has a long way to go to be tight enough to stop them, we wont win a shoot out. at the same time i think we may be the only team capable of stopping them...

mcfadden is on his last legs unfortunately, i think hes been a great servant down through the years tho. did step up a bit in 2011/12 but he was a better player than he showed this year. often just didnt have the platform.

id agree that we lack a replacement at the minute. Jigger is still a little light, he struggled against monaghan and didnt make a huge impact today. Molloy probably the only other option.

on another note, i take it the black card is just been done away with at this point. armagh should have had about 5

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Smartly Dressed

I thought the players showed tremendous character toward the end, to overcome the concession of a goal and then win the game despite how tough of a day a lot of the players had. I thought McBrearty's winner was especially impressive because he missed a few earlier in the game and not a lot was going his way.

Donegal teams of not that long ago would not have won that game.

And on a side note - Armagh, you can blow it out your hole. How the mighty have fallen and succumbed to childish games.

I thought the players showed tremendous character toward the end, to overcome the concession of a goal and then win the game despite how tough of a day a lot of the players had. I thought McBrearty's winner was especially impressive because he missed a few earlier in the game and not a lot was going his way.

agreed, 10 years ago theres only one way that game would have ended.

the pic with lacey in the rte report sums up armagh for me, still the same old shower of thugs. tho its not from half time as they say, was it around 15mins in the 2 of them started on him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Well done Donegal. Played poorly but showed great character to come back and win it.

Also great to see Armaghs predictable thuggery go unrewarded. Expectation very low for Dublin game but maybe we can stay in it til half time. Either way its been a great year. Maith thu jim :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

And on a side note - Armagh, you can blow it out your hole. How the mighty have fallen and succumbed to childish games.

MvBrearty's point was as good a team point as you'll see all season, we'll need a hell of a lot more of that the next day.

Conceded another sloppy goal (even if it was a bit of a freak), just making things uncomfortable for us again. Still, back in a S/F again so it's a very good season, considering last year.

Don't know what Jim's plan will be but we can't go 15 behind the ball and concede midfield. Dublin will grind us down eventually, they are just too good at creating chances that the scores will come. Colm was actually a good bit better than the last day (not saying much), but really all he is giving us is frees which he isn't as deadly from as he was, and the odd out ball to relieve pressure. Suppose he keeps 2 or 3 defenders busy!

Shot selection was poor at times, some stupid shots taken on, though at times there was nobody in the FF line as an option. Still would have been wiser to try and recycle possession than needlessly give it away.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Lacey didn't get forward much but he did make an effort for the first goal, he made a nice run across the edge of the box to provide a rare third forward option he laid the ball off then.
    Armagh were good yesterday their half forward line was effective. they are an improving side, very much so IMHO

I think it's funny when people talk about ''negative tactics" with regard to Donegal, but yet it's their players that have been targeted and attacked since 2011. It goes back to Donegal vs Dublin in 2011. Dublin were not going to be satisfied that day until Lacey came off the pitch injured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Good to see Armagh haven't changed a jot.

They're an absolute disgrace. They have history of attacking medics too . A fine from the GAA wouldn't go a miss but there'll be nothing by way of putting it right from those two on the line either.

A horrible game with some brilliant point taking at times. It was strange though I was never fearful, knew we had enough to take them and it's just a pity that Paddy's point wasn't the last kick to have really left them sick.

Armagh hoodo consigned to the skip. 3 weeks to get our house in order and prepare to beat the dubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭2moreMinutes

So are you saying that the Colm McFadden we are seeing now isn the worst Colm McFadden we've ever seen?
    I'm saying that the Colm McFadden we are seeing now is the Colm McFadden we all knew and were frustrated with prior to 2012. That one great year seems to have wiped the memories of a lot of people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Absolutely delighted with that win yesterday. A poor performance, with some very bad shot selection, but really pulled it out of the bag when it mattered

Had forgotten what a horrible shower of thugs Armagh were, but they fairly showed themselves up again yesterday. Grimley and McGeeney laughing on the sideline after the Lacey incident summed up exactly what they're about.

I expect a big performance from the team next time out, but hard to see us winning. Dublin are some outfit this year.

Good to see Armagh haven't changed a jot.

They're an absolute disgrace. They have history of attacking medics too . A fine from the GAA wouldn't go a miss but there'll be nothing by way of putting it right from those two on the line either.

A horrible game with some brilliant point taking at times. It was strange though I was never fearful, knew we had enough to take them and it's just a pity that Paddy's point wasn't the last kick to have really left them sick.

Armagh hoodo consigned to the skip. 3 weeks to get our house in order and prepare to beat the dubs.
    to be honest im not bothered by the push on the doctor, its 2 of them going over and dragging a player off the ground and starting on him 50 yards from play that riles me. urgh they really get under my skin. lads did well to grind it out.

anyway onwards and upwards, gonna stop thinking about those (insert whatever you feel like). certainly wont be easy but relishing our crack at the dubs.

lower davin, lower hogan, lower & upper cusack on tickets.ie now if anyone wants to get sorted quickly. lower cusack wouldnt give me 5 together tho so it must be as good as gone. lower hogan was offering me the last block next to the hill too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Absolutely delighted with that win yesterday. A poor performance, with some very bad shot selection, but really pulled it out of the bag when it mattered

Had forgotten what a horrible shower of thugs Armagh were, but they fairly showed themselves up again yesterday. Grimley and McGeeney laughing on the sideline after the Lacey incident summed up exactly what they're about.

I expect a big performance from the team next time out, but hard to see us winning. Dublin are some outfit this year.

Very close call yesterday. Armaghs 's tactics combined with a number of players going missing nearly ended up costing us. Of course Dublin are a completely different proposition. We must be able to match them in athletism and close the space down. We cannot afford to have any passengers not pulling his weight. Jim will need to reconsider the starting positions of one or two players(mc Fadden?, toye?) He has 3 weeks to look at them in training.
    He has always said that he bases his team selection on how well their performing in training. He is being very loyal to one or two them.

A performance similar to 1992 final will be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭SM746

Delighted to beat that shower; a truly nasty tone to some of the stuff they were at!
    McQuillan was a joke and could have sorted that game easily in the 1st half if he had grown a set to pull them up for there silly cynical tackling/dragging back, etc.

We played very very poorly, that goal they got was sickening! Had convinced myself we had thrown it away.

Paddy McB - excellent point but then I think it was him with that stupid act of petulance on the sideline which could have cost us. No need for it at all.

Huge, huge room for improvement but will it be enough?

How can you beat this Dublin team? Any ideas?
    Cannot see any possible way we can do it!

SM746 wrote: »

Jim.

Counter their kickouts
    MUST win our own kickouts and win midfield in general
    Break quickly
    Mark B.Brogan (and let D.Connolly drift out of the game which I think will happen if Donegal defend well enough)
    Colm McFadden needs to have a big game
    Minimize fouls in scoring range

Donegal have their own threats. McGlynn, Lacey and Thompson are exactly the type of half backs you need to beat Dublin. The McGees are tremendous man-markers along with McGrath. Neil Gallagher can dominate midfield. However, unless McFadden has a big day, the scoring threat might not be enough to win.

• Advertisement

Counter their kickouts
    MUST win our own kickouts and win midfield in general
    Break quickly
    Mark B.Brogan (and let D.Connolly drift out of the game which I think will happen if Donegal defend well enough)
    Colm McFadden needs to have a big game
    Minimize fouls in scoring range

Donegal have their own threats. McGlynn, Lacey and Thompson are exactly the type of half backs you need to beat Dublin. The McGees are tremendous man-markers along with McGrath. Neil Gallagher can dominate midfield. However, unless McFadden has a big day, the scoring threat might not be enough to win.

Oh I know the theory behind doing it; I just hope we can actually string everything together and get the huge amount of luck we need!
    Laois gave a small blueprint earlier in the year on some kickouts; I remember a good piece of analysis done on it.
    We have to, have to stop their short kick outs and get them kicking long in the hope that Big Neil and Rory are on top form.
    My god we will need huge amounts of luck if we are to pull of a miracle and I have huge doubts we can do it but as with all the prayers will be said!

There's no doubt Dublin are an incredibly impressive side but there's no point being worried because they racked up a big score against poor (Leinster)/tired (Monaghan) opposition. Monaghan were tired. The qualifier took a lot out of them. I know someone mentioned that playing weekly is the norm in team sports, but that's in professional leagues. When it comes to inter-county GAA, sides seem to have this regime of investing massive preparation for single games at a time, rather staying competitive week in/week out.

I think it will be a close game regardless of who wins.

There's no doubt Dublin are an incredibly impressive side but there's no point being worried because they racked up a big score against poor (Leinster)/tired (Monaghan) opposition. Monaghan were tired. The qualifier took a lot out of them. I know someone mentioned that playing weekly is the norm in team sports, but that's in professional leagues. When it comes to inter-county GAA, sides seem to have this regime of investing massive preparation for single games at a time, rather staying competitive week in/week out.

I think it will be a close game regardless of who wins.

It's going to be enthralling that is for sure

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

I thought that the performance yesterday was good, but the execution of shots was poor. We were dominant for a large part of the second half but missed too many chances. Sure, Armagh had their missed chances as well, but we ultimately had more shots. Our turnover rate was too high however, this is something that will also need to improve.

But, you have to credit our composure and experience to get level and then kick the winner late in the game. At one stage with 10 minutes left, I was worried that if Armagh had gone two up we were done.

The McGees, Thompson, Frank, Big Neil, Michael all played very well I thought. Rory Kavanagh also for the time he was on.

On Colm, I don't think we can afford to start him against Dublin. But, credit to him for his point in the second half where I thought he showed good composure - we needed the score and if he had gone for goal and missed, it could really have hurt us. Still, on balance, I think he's become a bit of a liability.

Paddy - right from the whistle I thought 'here we go again' and he did end up with more wides/missed shots than scores. Still, great composure to kick the winner. But, extremely stupid to boot the ball away that gave Armagh one last chance.

MacNiallais - similar story to Paddy - too many wides. But, took the goal very well and credit to him for not letting his head drop in the second half to kick an important score.

Let's savour it for a while, we have beaten Armagh in a significant championship match.

They're a good side, no question about it and very dangerous but I don't rate many of them as actual footballers.

michael darragh is a donkey of a footballer. A massive engine and hugely dynamic but he can just about solo a ball ffs. Don't rate o sullivan next to him either. This is an area where we should be looking to dominate especially with Big Neil and his ability. Their midfield pace and power is an issue obviously because Neil is cumbersome compared to that but we need to be cleaning up around the middle.

Their full back line is there to be got at and I don't know how it's going to happen but we need Colm to find some sort of form. I think we can hurt them with the quality of our players.

I'm happy with our back 6 individually. No concerns about any of them. Neil can can deal with Bernard Brogan, Lacey will be patrolling around Connolly anyway and he needs to be got because he is a brilliant footballer. You've flynn then who is, (bar JOD) the best forward in the country. Probably have Frank tracking him.

I think we can take them I really do. My worry is their half back line and them coming through us especially if we're conceding our half forwards to retreat back. We'll need to do something about that and stop the flow.

I know already that we can disrupt dublin and deny them space but if we can slow them down I honestly think they'll struggle.

We have no reason to fear them and as a county we don't generally . Probably due to 92 but there's no worry about the dubs generally up here. Some teams are beat before the tog out because it's Dublin in croke Park and that's a such a daunting proposition.

I trust Jim implicitly. We know how good our players are and what they can do. This won't phase then a bit.

I think we'll beat them. I really do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

Not as confident as some other folk on here re the Dublin game, if we play like we did yesterday, we will be hammered off the field. We were very flat looking yesterday from early on and only for Murphy at times getting the game by the scruff of the neck and showing great leadership, we would be talking about Armagh v Dublin..

Unfortunately, I think we are still miles off the pace of when we won it in 2012 and even then, all 15 were firing on all cylinders, whereas now we are definitely carrying a few at times, Colm definitely too static at the moment and unless he is gonna improve big, big time, he would be better on the bench.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

Drop McFadden

Play Kavanagh as 3rd midfielder.

2 man forward line-Murphy and McBrearty, keep them in there and try to kick the ball into the space in front of them.

Dont commit too many men in attack-if we do dublin will murder us when they turn us over.

Likewise drop back into defence on Dublin kick outs-theres no point pushing up as Cluxton will find his man with most of them and we need men back when they have possession.

Foul Dublin players outside the scoring zone.

TBH this is pretty much the way Id play every game; I dont think we can do anything to stop them but hopefully(if they employ my tactics:D) we can stop the goals and keep it tightish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭Redsoxfan

harpsman wrote: »
    Drop McFadden

2 man forward line-Murphy and McBrearty, keep them in there and try to kick the ball into the space in front of them.

I'd agree with this.

Redsoxfan wrote: »
    I'd agree with this.

Perhaps, but wouldn't you effectively be conceding the kick outs then to either of their corner backs?
    Can we really do that?

• Advertisement

harpsman wrote: »
    Drop McFadden

Dont commit too many men in attack-if we do dublin will murder us when they turn us over.

Likewise drop back into defence on Dublin kick outs-theres no point pushing up as Cluxton will find his man with most of them and we need men back when they have possession.

Foul Dublin players outside the scoring zone.

TBH this is pretty much the way Id play every game; I dont think we can do anything to stop them but hopefully(if they employ my tactics:D) we can stop the goals and keep it tightish.

Interesting points! The thoughts of how we will play are fascinating! Cannot wait :-)

Advertisement